Agrarian 'Derp' Skies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I was expanding my smeltery which I was pouring all of my dusts etc through to double. While I'm not just dumping everything in there, I did have a single output that was going to 9 casting basins that were controlled by whitelists on the TE Ducts. All was going well until I went to do the last one, I right clicked with the bucket of molten metal rather than with an empty hand, which emptied the bucket instead.

Did you know that molten metal is really frigging hot and will burn you to a crisp? I lost a fair amount of items as well. Lesson learnt, don't run around with your valuable stuff unless you need to. As tempted as I am to turn keep inventory on, I think that this is a map where it's better to leave it off.

Oh, and another one, I started a new game last night, on the skyblock. Don't expand the platform too much until you can get torches, otherwise the nasties spawn.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I was expanding my smeltery which I was pouring all of my dusts etc through to double. While I'm not just dumping everything in there, I did have a single output that was going to 9 casting basins that were controlled by whitelists on the TE Ducts. All was going well until I went to do the last one, I right clicked with the bucket of molten metal rather than with an empty hand, which emptied the bucket instead.

Did you know that molten metal is really frigging hot and will burn you to a crisp? I lost a fair amount of items as well. Lesson learnt, don't run around with your valuable stuff unless you need to. As tempted as I am to turn keep inventory on, I think that this is a map where it's better to leave it off.

Oh, and another one, I started a new game last night, on the skyblock. Don't expand the platform too much until you can get torches, otherwise the nasties spawn.
did you know that halfslabs prevent spawns? well. if you place them in the lower half of the block that is. very important little thing to remember. it has to be the lower half of the block.... I'l now return you to your regular show.... :oops:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I got some spawn eggs that were renamed. I thought it would be cool to have some jadedcats running around, but just got wolves. And a single use safari net with a creeper surprise. (I thought it was empty and just had flavor text.)

Edit:

I did kinda expect the jadedcat spawn eggs to be an ender dragon. That would so be her.

did you know some mystery safari nets could contain either a primed tnt, which when placed in the world, immediatly gets lit and glitches a bit so you don't see it, and a few seconds later it goes boom...

also, I've had several mystery safari nets in my test world with blazes riding ghasts.... yea, good thing I was in my test world

I placed a scythe in an activator to automatically kill mob in my mob drop tower so I could collect XP. The bad thing was, when it leveled up, it got the firey aspect which makes endermen teleport out of the trap. I had an enderman on my farm, and went to go get rid of it. I wasn't paying any attention to the dirt block it was holding...

yea, I've had that happen before. or how about forgetting you lit up the roof of your mob spawner, and you go back up to light it up, but a spider already spawned and is so overly joyed seeing you that he comes to give you a hug
I also asked in the developer topic from Iguana Tweaks for the option to remove modifiers from tools, so you can get rid of that fiery aspect, as I hate having to make the same tool over and over and pray to god that there won't be a fiery modifier on it

Reactions: loboca

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I built a vanilla style mob tower with water streams. Every time an Enderman steps into there he teleports away. I got so many Endermen running around my platform now. Easy pearl farming, but they're gonna tear my grass platform and stuff apart...
I need some lamps in the farm to turn it off, got so many drops and music disks.

btw it's ridiculous how many bad guys spawn there when they have nowhere else to spawn.

Reactions: fedprod

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I built a vanilla style mob tower with water streams. Every time an Enderman steps into there he teleports away. I got so many Endermen running around my platform now. Easy pearl farming, but they're gonna tear my grass platform and stuff apart...
I need some lamps in the farm to turn it off, got so many drops and music disks.

btw it's ridiculous how many bad guys spawn there when they have nowhere else to spawn.

ooh, it's exactly how it's been like back in the old days of 1.2.5
finish your farm first before starting it up, otherwise you'll die, and die, and die again, and die some more, and probably die a few more times until you run out of lifes and take a moment to go outside to think of the meaning of life

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Hum.... I wasn't even near starting MFR, but I would be near AE? lol xD
Beginning AE isn't a big deal, just a bit of iron and quartz. I tend to start it early as possible so I don't need 8 billion barrels.

Another thing about Agrarian Skies, just because you don't need something now don't think it is too early to start storing it up. When you need to make that 16m AE storage module you'll be happy you've been saving up rubber, iron, redstone, etc.

You're going to want charcoal anyhow, so doesn't hurt to store the rubber and burn the wood to make charcoal. Send your extra saplings into a bioreactor for that quest too. One of the quests gives you a max size fluid storage module which is a huge help, if, IF you start your AE system early. ;)

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019
Beginning AE isn't a big deal, just a bit of iron and quartz. I tend to start it early as possible so I don't need 8 billion barrels.

Another thing about Agrarian Skies, just because you don't need something now don't think it is too early to start storing it up. When you need to make that 16m AE storage module you'll be happy you've been saving up rubber, iron, redstone, etc.

You're going to want charcoal anyhow, so doesn't hurt to store the rubber and burn the wood to make charcoal. Send your extra saplings into a bioreactor for that quest too. One of the quests gives you a max size fluid storage module which is a huge help, if, IF you start your AE system early. ;)
Wow. Your tips seem really useful... but I still haven't automated ores. I should probably do that before jumping into AE right? Manually getting resources is sooooooo annoying. :p
What's that quest (the bioreactor one and the Max Size Fluid Storage Cell one)?
EDIT: Wow, I just checked AGS AE Recipes, Plastic really helps. Also, with a smeltery for some manual work, I think I could easily get AE started. Haven't looked for Storage crafting recipes, but it shouldn't be too much worst! The problem might be solid power generation... Suggestions?

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the ultimate derp moment - I started up Agrarian Skies to play it, and it gave me some really weird fatal error, crashed and that was that. I rebooted, fired up Monster and away I went. hehe

I know I should try it again, because I doubt the error was in FTB, it must've been on my end somehow... I did watch a let's play to see what it was all about and I did have some interest. Someday I guess. Not enough time in the day to play every modpack at once!

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Your tips seem really useful... but I still haven't automated ores. I should probably do that before jumping into AE right? Manually getting resources is sooooooo annoying. :p
What's that quest (the bioreactor one and the Max Size Fluid Storage Cell one)?
EDIT: Wow, I just checked AGS AE Recipes, Plastic really helps. Also, with a smeltery for some manual work, I think I could easily get AE started. Haven't looked for Storage crafting recipes, but it shouldn't be too much worst! The problem might be solid power generation... Suggestions?

Use your first diamonds/emeralds from manual sieving of gravel to build Autonomous Activators. Then use those activators to automate sieving of gravel and dust. As you get more diamonds/emeralds add more activators/sieves. I was running 6 sieves with 12 activators and was producing a lot of resources. Use pulverizers to create the gravel using cobble from your cobblegen. You can scale this as large as you want. I shut mine down after a couple days it was producing so much. At that point I had enough resources to start building other things, working on quests, trying out an enderquarry, etc.

For first power I'd make some fired crucibles and magmatic dynamos. Crucibles will turn cobble into lava for "free". That same lava will fuel your smelteries.

Once you've got that industrial base your power options expand quite a bit. I have a lot of crucibles and 40 magmatic dynamos. Also have 10 reactant dynamos burning mob essence and gunpowder. I have ~1000 buckets of ethanol in storage, could be burning that. Lots and lots of coal from nether coal ore, could be burning that. Ender pearls, meat, mushroom soup, etc., you won't have any problem finding stuff to generate power with while working through the quests.

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019
Use your first diamonds/emeralds from manual sieving of gravel to build Autonomous Activators. Then use those activators to automate sieving of gravel and dust. As you get more diamonds/emeralds add more activators/sieves. I was running 6 sieves with 12 activators and was producing a lot of resources. Use pulverizers to create the gravel using cobble from your cobblegen. You can scale this as large as you want. I shut mine down after a couple days it was producing so much. At that point I had enough resources to start building other things, working on quests, trying out an enderquarry, etc.

For first power I'd make some fired crucibles and magmatic dynamos. Crucibles will turn cobble into lava for "free". That same lava will fuel your smelteries.

Once you've got that industrial base your power options expand quite a bit. I have a lot of crucibles and 40 magmatic dynamos. Also have 10 reactant dynamos burning mob essence and gunpowder. I have ~1000 buckets of ethanol in storage, could be burning that. Lots and lots of coal from nether coal ore, could be burning that. Ender pearls, meat, mushroom soup, etc., you won't have any problem finding stuff to generate power with while working through the quests.
Wow... nice. I knew I'd have to use those first gems for the activator, but you went rather in-depth... thanks! This weekend + this couple of days I have been extremely addicted to Agrarian Skies, most of my progress on it was in these days.
Also, got a mob farm (platform up high, channels of water going to a hole, death. I was thinking, gunpowder gets rather abudant.... maybe making a TNT Generator would be good?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... nice. I knew I'd have to use those first gems for the activator, but you went rather in-depth... thanks! This weekend + this couple of days I have been extremely addicted to Agrarian Skies, most of my progress on it was in these days.
Also, got a mob farm (platform up high, channels of water going to a hole, death. I was thinking, gunpowder gets rather abudant.... maybe making a TNT Generator would be good?

Later on its better to just use it in a reactant dynamo with some glowstone or mob essense.

MiniMoggie

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to set up a nice orchard. I thought the space next to my MFR tree farm would be nice. It didn't occur to me that the tree harvester had such a long reach past the 9x9 of the tree farm. Within a few mins of me bonemealing my trees to maturity they were all gone :(:oops:

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
This wasn't quite a derp, but it was close.

I finally got enough cobblestone to get my bucket of lava, so I had to create the cobble gen. I was in the platform world, and I'd expanded the platform quite a bit with wood. I'd made a section off to the side with stone brick (I'd got that through a reward bag) so it wouldn't burn. Carefully placed my water, thought twice and placed the lava. Yah happy days, cobble gen.

OK, so hammering cobble into gravel, get a stack, go over to the sieve and push it through, turn around. Why are there holes in my platform?

Luckily I didn't fall through them, but the first time I was harvesting a tree and looking up, only afterwards did I realise how close I'd come to falling through.

Step 1. Place a piece of cobble on top of the lava to stop sparks. Step 2, replace holes with cobble stone.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I think about it, does AgS have EnderIO? Or ComputerCraft 1.6.X? brb double checking.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the mods that are there for automation are good right now, simple things like obsidian pipes would make early automation easier, but they're pretty cheap. While a vacuum hopper can do the same, but they cost an ender pearl which is a bit harder to get early game.

While some mods that I'm used to using aren't there, I can't say that I'm missing them yet.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love CC but turtles would have to be disabled.
Or they could cost a bit more. Like, a amount that makes them actually costly.
I'm using CC 1.6.X now, and I love those pocket computers. I even found a program someone made to make using turtle swarms much easier.