Agrarian 'Derp' Skies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about all of you, but I've been playing alot of Agrarian Skies lately. it's really a pack/map where one mistake could lead to the end of your world, so you're very careful with all the things you do.

but ofcourse till you reach that point where you almost make no mistakes anymore, there are still alot of mistakes you make, and death, and lose worlds, and rag...... well, let's not get to that

that's why I'm making this topic, where you can mention all the derp moments you've had on Agrarian Skies

like for example for me yesterday, I spent a whopping 8 diamonds to make a builders wand, as it's awesome to have if you're still making your islands. everything was fine and well, till my finger brushes the "Q" key, right above the void.... goodbye my 8 diamonds, may you rest in pieces in the void.

or when you just start out with Agrarian Skies, jumping and running all over the place, but then you get hungry, really hungry, but there's no food.... in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... hello new world.

another type of derp is not knowing the new game mechanics of Agrarian Skies, like that you can pulverize your cobble into gravel, into sand and lastly into dust, so you've spend a good 2 hours manually hammering all those blocks before you figure this out.... yea, new world in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... hello new world.

or not knowing that 9 arrows actually make a chicken egg, and wondering how long it takes for animals to naturally start spawning on your small grassy area, waiting hour after hour.... and then you get impatient, and just start making a simple mob spawner, and mess with the wrong enderman.... new world in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... hello new world.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Ive never been past the harvesting trees, I just cant figure out what to do, havent played it past 1.0.1 so not sure if there are quests now, the derps i had is trying to get to the waterfall to check for things beneath and I saw the dirt chest, but didnt realize the void is so close, and yeah, then I never played it again, because i couldnt figure out how to progress.

Reactions: RealSketch

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Ive never been past the harvesting trees, I just cant figure out what to do, havent played it past 1.0.1 so not sure if there are quests now, the derps i had is trying to get to the waterfall to check for things beneath and I saw the dirt chest, but didnt realize the void is so close, and yeah, then I never played it again, because i couldnt figure out how to progress.

you first plant a sapling, and grow it with bonemeal. when it grows chop down the 2 lowest logs so you can make a crafting bench and 2 crooks. use the crooks to break the leaves of the tree, and chop down the logs. as soon as I get one silkwork I plant another sapling close by and grow it with bonemeal and infect the leaves. while that goes on I'll keep planting and chopping down other trees to gather more wood and sapplings. keep making crooks as you'll need as much saplings as possible.

when you've enough wood, you can make a few barrels (I always make 6 since crafting slabs give you 6) and start making a tool station, stencil table and part builder, and make a pattern for an axe head. craft yourself a flint axe, as this will help you alot because you can chop down trees faster, which can give you more wood, sapplings and apples, which are very important to keep your hunger filled.

when the infected tree is completely infected, chop it down for string, try to gather as much string as possible so you can make yourself a sieve. then you can start placing sapplings in barrels to make dirt (8 sapplings > 1 dirt) then sieve that dirt to get stones and seeds. use the stones to craft yourself 15 cobble. use 8 of those cobble to craft yourself a furnace, then smelt 3 of the cobble into stone, which you can craft into a juicer, which will help you with your food problem as you can combine a juicer with apples to get apple juice, which will fill more hunger.

then the last 4 cobble which you'll need to break with an ex nihilo hammer (wooden hammer is already good enough) to get gravel, gravel into sand and sand into dust. you'll need that dust because when it rains, those barrels you placed down will fill with water, when the barrel is full you can put your dust in those barrels, which will give you clay blocks in return. you'll need 7 of those clay, and combine them with bonemeal so you can craft yourself an unfired crucible, which you need to smelt in a furnace. use the other 9 clay to make 3 clay buckets, which also need to be smelted in a furnace.

hopefully in the time that you've been sieving all that dirt you'll have gotten either carrots or pumpkin seeds, as I find those the best food choice in the start of the game when combined with a juicer. with those seeds gather your dirt and start a small farm, you can use the clay buckets to move around the water. but back to the crucible, place it down, and put a torch beneath it. if you've gotten more stones, you'll need to get 4 more cobble, as the crucible will melt it slowly down into lava. when the cobble is all melted, you get exactly 1 bucket of lava, which you can bucket out with a clay bucket. you can then make yourself a vanilla cobble generator to get more cobble, which you can hammer down further to get the resources you want through sieving.

in the meantime you could expand your island, plant another infested tree to get more string so you can make a bed, make a very simple mob spawning room a bit away from your island, gather more dirt so you can expand your farm and your tree farm and so on. the beginning is pretty much the same for everyone, as you need food to stay alive, and the best way to get food is through chopping down trees. do note, wait with sleeping in a bed until it has rained atleast once, as you really need clay to progress further.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Man, that got me back into this modpack, well pretty much im now just harvesting trees and praying to the road block, have a few string too.

also be ready to die a couple of dozen times when you're starting out, I've died more then 25 times now, and some of those deaths were dumb as hell...
now I'm trying to figure out how in earth I'm going to get a cow to spawn... I've a large grassy area with sunlight, but the only things that seem to spawn are damn chickens and ocelots.... I know you can craft a cow spawning egg, but it requires 8 leather, for which you need cows... well, there are a few other ways to get leather, like Mariculture fish or Imp leather, but the auto fisher or Mariculture keeps crashing me and there's no way in hell (pun intended) that I'm going to the Nether now

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My main issue with AgS is that most of the maps are hardcore and I don't know how to get them again without downloading the whole pack again. I'd assume the maps tab, but it have any for AgS.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
When you download the pack, go into your save/world directory (depending on if you're doing SSP or SMP) and make a backup copy of the map(s) you want to keep. Then just copy them over as needed when you die.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Thats where ive gotten so far, just kinda made my cobble gen, so what will you suggest me do next, havent died yet, trying to do a no deaths as far as I can go, even tho its not a hardcore world.

Attachments

• 2014-03-22_17.36.49.png
    2014-03-22_17.36.49.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 321

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Heh. Can't see much past your inventory screen. :)

Have you been able to sift out some seeds yet? Did you get some clay for your buckets?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. Can't see much past your inventory screen. :)

Have you been able to sift out some seeds yet? Did you get some clay for your buckets?

Well, you can see my cobble gen and stuff on the left, currently working on getting seeds for whatever food i get lucky, but havent gotten any so far.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
and fish.

I'd only use fish as a last option when I'm down to 2 drumsticks and can't walk or mine properly anymore.
I really hate fishing, it's so goddamn glitchy...

Thats where ive gotten so far, just kinda made my cobble gen, so what will you suggest me do next, havent died yet, trying to do a no deaths as far as I can go, even tho its not a hardcore world.

try to get a farm going as soon as possible, as it really is important to eat in this pack.
I'd also put down some more trees, so you can get more sapplings which you can turn into dirt so you can increase your farm's size

the next step is probably the boring one... which is hammering your cobble constantly to get the resources you need to start making machines.
I'd first collect resources so make a very basic smeltery, as you want to smelt your resources as efficiently as possible
so you need to collect gravel, sand and dust, which you can turn into clay
you'll also need to first make some brass so you can get an ingot cast.

when you've your smeltery set up you can use another clay bucket to put 1 bucket of lava in your smeltery. this does require you to constantly refill your crucible with cobble to get more lava.
then keep hammering your cobble into dust, and sieve the dust. sieving dust can give you redstone, which you need a few of.
when you've gotten a few redstone, and smelter some of your resources you've gotten from sieving dust, make yourself an igneous extruder.
this is very helpful as you no longer need to manually mine cobble yourself, and if you're like me and most of your island is made out of wood, having lava on your island isn't really the best thing...

I'd suggest to put the extruder ontop of the crucible, that way the extruder can keep filling your crucible with cobble which gets turned into lava, another way to automate something on your island.
sadly you'll still need to keep hammering your cobble yourself, keep hammering cobble to get some more dust, which you need to sieve for some more redstone, but as soon as you've about 16 redstone start sieving your gravel, as sieving gravel can give you diamonds and emeralds which you can use to make autonomous activators, which can help you automate more things on your island.

with all the broken ores you're getting from sieving gravel, you can combine them into a 2x2 grid to make a gravel ore block, which you can hammer into crushed ore. combine 4 of those in a 2x2 grid to get a sand ore block, which you can hammer into pulverized ore. doing this gives you a chance to get a few more curshed/pulverized ore each time you hammer a block, giving you more resources to smelt down. before putting your pulverized ore into your smeltery, combine then in a 2x2 grid to make a ore dust block. smelting an ore dust block is faster and uses less lava.

in the mean time keep chopping down any trees that grow, expand your farm, and put your resources into barrels to get more dirt, and keep sieving your dirt as my next step would be to get a rubber sappling. when you get a rubber sappling you get access to rubber, which you'll need to make minefactory reloaded machines. when you've that rubber, start making a furnace generator from extra utilities and a minefactory reloaded planter and harvester, this is to automate your wood and sappling production. when you've those 3, place down you furnace generator down, and hook it up to the harvester and planter using energy conduits. don't place down the generator next to the harvester, otherwise the harvester will auto-ouput the logs into the generator, which isn't efficient as you first need to smelt the logs to get charcoal, which burn more efficiently in a generator. also don't forget to place down a chest next to the harvester or it'll dump the items into the world

while you have your treefarm going (though slowly, but it's atleast automated) keep hammering down some more cobblestone so you can make yourself a redstone furnace from thermal expansion.
this is used to automate your smelting from logs into charcoal. if you hook it up correctly, you can place your furnace next to the generator and have the furnace auto-output the charcoal into the generator and you won't need to use an energy conduit to hook the furnace up. now use some itemducts to automatically have the harvester output the logs into the furnace, the sapplings into the planter, and the extra resources into some barrels. note that using the dense/vacuum options from the itemducts can help you with this.

when you've that going your next step is a pulverizer, so you can automatically convert your cobble into gravel/sand/dust. you can hook your pulverizer onto the generator you placed down, as the generator is making enough RF to keep everything going (though it may run low on RF from time to time) start turning cobble into gravel, and sieve the gravel for more emeralds and diamonds, so you can make activators. these activators can be used to automate the sieving process. when you've 1 activator you can already automate it, though very slowly, so keep making more activators and don't stop after making just 1.

in the meantime you also need to set up a mob spawner. it doesn't need to be an efficient one, as you only need to get 1 enderpearl. I made mine about 18 blocks away from my island, which is a 9x9x3 dark room. I'm making 1 outside layer out of a slab so you can still look into the room without decreasing spawning area due to lighting. no make a 1x2 entrance, with a gate at the top to block the mobs from seeing you or trying to go out of the room, and start luring those mobs towards you so you can kill them. the most important thing is to get an enderman to spawn as you'll need an enderpearl, so keep going back to the mob spawner from time to time to see if an enderman has spawned.

you need that pearl to make a vacuum hopper from openblocks, which you can use with your activator to automatically collect the sieved resources from the sieve. and that's pretty much it for the starting part... from there on out you can pretty much choose yourself on what to do next, as you've automated your ore/dust process, you've automated your tree farm process, you've a small farm going for food and you've a simple mobfarm going for some other resources. keep making more acitvators though speed up the sieving process, and you can hook up your extruder onto your pulverizer to keep feeding the pulverizer with cobble, and hook up your pulverizer to your activators to automatically sieve your gravel/sand/dust. you can also use itemducts to loop your gravel/sand back into your pulverizer so you don't need to manually put your gravel/sand back into the pulverizer to get more sand/dust.

as for what my next step would be... it'd be to increase my island in size so I can build more projects. also another step would be to find a more efficient food source. if you need animals, you can combine 9 arrows into a chicken spawn egg, so you can spawn chickens to lay eggs or to get meat. with the eggs you can craft yourself pig, sheep and cow eggs. also note you can also craft yourself a villager and squid spawning egg, but you don't need that right now.

as for another derp moment from my agrarian skies... I got impatient and went to the nether. I though it'd be a smart idea to hammer netherrack below me so if fish were to spawn they wouldn't be able to reach me... didn't think an infernal fish could spawn which could shoot fireballs... I barely survived as I ran back to my porta, but the damn fish kept following me. I could barely block him of and survived with just half a heart left... ofcourse I did what everyone else would do... I went back to the overworld, broke down the portal and threw all the obsidian into the void while muttering "never again"

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Fish nets are glitchy? I have had no issues with them.

fish rods are glitchy, y'know, where you're fishing yourself and the damn fish hook keeps derping up and down and getting stuck everywhere unless you've a huge pool or are standing very far from the water.
fish nets is an option, but they only really work efficiently if you've alot of them, which require a large pool of water, which is not possible early game, as your 2x3 pool is as good as it's going to get. and if you reach the stage where you can increase the pool size, you'll already have another source of food by that time

DragooKnight

Jul 29, 2019
fish rods are glitchy, y'know, where you're fishing yourself and the damn fish hook keeps derping up and down and getting stuck everywhere unless you've a huge pool or are standing very far from the water.
fish nets is an option, but they only really work efficiently if you've alot of them, which require a large pool of water, which is not possible early game, as your 2x3 pool is as good as it's going to get. and if you reach the stage where you can increase the pool size, you'll already have another source of food by that time
Simple solution, stand in the middle of your pond, look straight up, throw line, wait for fish. It works as of the last two updates at least.
Also THANK YOU! I don't think I would have ever found out you can get diamonds and emeralds from gravel, I focus on the dust for redstone and my resource needs.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
There is some very nice information here thanks Yusunoha. You should make your own wiki for Agrarian Skies.

inferno_puppet

Jul 29, 2019
well the only derp iv done so far is that I got a reward bag with spawn eggs and I thought the ender dragon one was a joke and I thought that it was just an ender man they look the same. will it should be called spawn new world