A replacement for frames!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
I've had to go into creative several times to stop rim's frame machines. If I was on a server I would probably have had to let that silly machine keep going for eternity.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Come on man, Cults of personality are lame. Let's just people by their actions instead of how someone else feels about them.

Uuuuh, i kinda dont understand what you said there exactly xD
But i just dont like the way how he did that to shadowdrgn and im not that bothered about frames :D

But yeah, im picky and stubborn.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at it in the forums it certainly sounds promising, does RiM support multiblock? Has anyone here tried it yet?

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at it in the forums it certainly sounds promising, does RiM support multiblock? Has anyone here tried it yet?

From my own (limited) testing, RiM has been pretty good. I'm not sure if it does multiblocks yet, but I'm inclined to think it does. It's been a little crashy, but so far less crashy than Eloraam's frames or Complex Machines.

The animations in this new mod look like they're going to give my computer a serious headache, and the blocks look weird as hell. That said, it looks promising and I like its simplicity and flexibility by not requiring power.

The_Enemys

Jul 29, 2019
The main problem I've had with the replacements for Redpower frames so far is that they tend not to capture the same atmosphere, an actual construction with moving parts. RiM seems almost as bad as what I saw of Complex Machines in that respect, with just a magic block sitting there and one big lump of blocks moving around, as opposed to the various drivetrains different users devised to get Redpower frames to do different things. It was an engineering project. Truss looks interesting because it looks like it would make the same style of moving contraption. Some sort of power requirement would be good, though.

Of course, I can see why other people might appreciate RiM, but that doesn't mean that Redpower's frames have been replaced any more than ComputerCraft replaced RP2's computers (they could both be used for automation, but the specifics were designed to appeal to a completely different set of players).

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, I can see why other people might appreciate RiM, but that doesn't mean that Redpower's frames have been replaced any more than ComputerCraft replaced RP2's computers (they could both be used for automation, but the specifics were designed to appeal to a completely different set of players).

Well, if you are looking for a identical replacement of all the things in redpower, you are probably out of luck. Everyone tends to mold his mod to his own ideas, changing stuff that they didn't like about it or that they want to improve on. If however you are looking for a functional replacement that lets you do stuff in a similar fashion, then there seem to be a few mods in the making that might achieve that. It really depends what you are expecting from a replacement.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
The main problem I've had with the replacements for Redpower frames so far is that they tend not to capture the same atmosphere, an actual construction with moving parts. RiM seems almost as bad as what I saw of Complex Machines in that respect, with just a magic block sitting there and one big lump of blocks moving around, as opposed to the various drivetrains different users devised to get Redpower frames to do different things.

RIM does have exact functional copies of redpower frames and motors (apart from power requirements which are coming). Just use the frame carriage and carriage motor and none of the others.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
RIM does have exact functional copies of redpower frames and motors (apart from power requirements which are coming). Just use the frame carriage and carriage motor and none of the others.
Point is its done for you. You're not really engineering it to move as you like, it just does.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yes well Binne made a bee for Jaded that looks like it's supposed to be on the truck mudflap of a misogynist. If I got furious at every modder who said something dumb, did something offensive, or just evaluated people outside of their technical ability I'd be in the hosptial for high blood pressure.

I can't be so objective.

Only analogy I can think of that comes close would be "You have a great body but your personality ruined it."

Some people might still get with them just for the looks(Mod in this case) but I'm not so desperate for his mod anyway.

The_Enemys

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone tends to mold his mod to his own ideas, changing stuff that they didn't like about it or that they want to improve on. If however you are looking for a functional replacement that lets you do stuff in a similar fashion, then there seem to be a few mods in the making that might achieve that.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was just commenting that I'm glad to see mods appearing that do cover the engineering project approach. The bit about RP2 computers was more to illustrate my point about the different atmosphere than anything.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I can't be so objective.

Only analogy I can think of that comes close would be "You have a great body but your personality ruined it."

Some people might still get with them just for the looks(Mod in this case) but I'm not so desperate for his mod anyway.
I have a different perspective.

Quite frankly, as a mod pack compiler, it is my objective to present to my players a coherent and enjoyable environment to have fun in. Minecraft by itself is a sandbox. I'm also adding in a slide, see-saws, monkey bars... other things that are also fun to play with to make a neat and tidy little park, while still adhering to the city code (i.e. mod pack permissions and requirements for the FTB launcher) and minimizing the footprint.

As such, I look at the mods. Rarely do I look at the actions and antics of the mod developers, because rarely do they impact my users. When they do, for example, start crashing the game out of a hissy-fit, I ensure that those antics don't impact my users by simply not using those mods.

When shopping for contractors (mod authors), I look for several things. First, I want to be sure they actually ship in my region (can get permission). Second, I want to be sure they have a solid product. I don't want to install monkey-bars that break when kids swing on them. Then I look to see if it really fits the atmosphere of the park I am creating. Sure, a bounce-house would be a lot of fun for a lot of people, but it really doesn't fit in here.

If there are multiple contractors who produce a very similar item, then I look at them in context. Is one clearly superior to the other? Do they provide different 'fringe' functions which would still add to my users enjoyment? Then, all other things being equal, I look at the contractors themselves. Does one of them ship on time and the other is always late? Guess which one I'm going to pick.

I only really strike a mod based on the mod author's personality or actions when that personality or those actions can impact myself or my users, or if that mod author has such a bad reputation that my users demand it be removed. In a recent case, a mod author proved himself willing to crash the user deliberately. I cannot risk that happening again, so to protect my users, I won't use that product ever again. However, that was also a rather extreme case.

In most cases, a mod author's personality doesn't even enter the equation because I don't need to interact with the mod author to use their product. As long as they produce a good product, they can do whatever they like. But when that starts impacting the quality of their product, that's when I take notice and start making changes.

You compare it to dating, I compare it to a business relationship. The two are very different sorts of relationships, which is why we probably won't be able to agree on this topic. It's just a different way of looking at things.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

While I completely understand the idea of such a belief, I cannot hold it for myself.

For example I do not use UE simply because I do not like Calclavia. I have never tried any of his mods but if a server I play on has them, so be it, I suppose.

As to why I hold to such a belief I cannot justify nor reason it, but I am so inclined and so I shall do. Even in business I tend to hold the same regard.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
While I completely understand the idea of such a belief, I cannot hold it for myself.

For example I do not use UE simply because I do not like Calclavia. I have never tried any of his mods but if a server I play on has them, so be it, I suppose.

As to why I hold to such a belief I cannot justify nor reason it, but I am so inclined and so I shall do. Even in business I tend to hold the same regard.

Well that's kinda rude

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
The problem I have with all these RP2 frame replacements is they only do that.

RP2's implementation is meant to be used in conjunction with parts of the same mod for a true engineering challenge.

Need a tunnel bore? use block breakers and frame tubes (nobody has provided a replacement for this).

You want a sorting machine to go thru a bunch of chests and retrieve what's necessary? Sure you can (though you can use a retriever instead, a moving arm just looks much cooler).

Want to create a 3D printer? Use frames with an assembler for that.

Call me stuck in the past. I'm not ready to let go of RP2 until there are true replacements for the functionality it provides (and they should work well together too). We'll get there, I'm sure.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem I have with all these RP2 frame replacements is they only do that.

RP2's implementation is meant to be used in conjunction with parts of the same mod for a true engineering challenge.

Need a tunnel bore? use block breakers and frame tubes (nobody has provided a replacement for this).

You want a sorting machine to go thru a bunch of chests and retrieve what's necessary? Sure you can (though you can use a retriever instead, a moving arm just looks much cooler).

Want to create a 3D printer? Use frames with an assembler for that.

Call me stuck in the past. I'm not ready to let go of RP2 until there are true replacements for the functionality it provides (and they should work well together too). We'll get there, I'm sure.
However, many of the RP2 frame machines used things from other mods. Rather infamous example being DW20's BC Mining Well boring machine.

Need a tunnel bore? TC3's Arcane Bore does exactly this. SC2's drill component also does this, particularly the Galgadorian Drill. Railcraft has a drill engine that also places track behind it. There are *MANY* replacements for this.

You want a sorting machine to go through a bunch of chests and retrieve what is necessary? Applied Energistics.

Not having RP2 frames doesn't remove an engineering challenge, it creates one. Making do with what you have available is the very essence of an engineering challenge, in my experience.

Reactions: fergcraft

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
However, many of the RP2 frame machines used things from other mods. Rather infamous example being DW20's BC Mining Well boring machine.

Need a tunnel bore? TC3's Arcane Bore does exactly this. SC2's drill component also does this, particularly the Galgadorian Drill. Railcraft has a drill engine that also places track behind it. There are *MANY* replacements for this.

You want a sorting machine to go through a bunch of chests and retrieve what is necessary? Applied Energistics.

Not having RP2 frames doesn't remove an engineering challenge, it creates one. Making do with what you have available is the very essence of an engineering challenge, in my experience.

Any replacements for 256 block breakers for my Chunkinator? LOL