A Pointless Rant + FTB Continuum Currently Known Mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

Rixxaw

After playing the pack for a few hours, i'm very disappointed. This was supposed to be Revelations Expert mode. It simply isn't that. Dank Null? Astral? Embers? EnderIO? Thaumcraft?

Looking through the mods it seems Tech Reborn, Career Bees and Advanced Rocketry are the main mods which will be new to explore.

What made Infinity Evolved Expert mode so much fun was that there were choke points like Iridium, which required UU Matter, but how you powered your UU Matter and how you accomplished the pack objectives were wide open. Overpowered things were very hard to make, and you were faced with deciding how you would progress. I played through IE:E 3 times and each time I used a different path, and each time was fun and exciting.

Sevtech is an example of a pack which has great promise, but it falls on its face in that it is extremely linear. There is only 1 way to progress and everyone on the internet is doing it exactly the same way.

So my suggestion for this pack is to ADD more mods. Almost every mod has a power generation system. Tieing your progression to a power generation requirement gives peoples reasons to explore multiple ways to generate power. I am reading here that the EFab has a limit to how much RF per tick it will accept for a controller block?

What about the 1.5 million RF per tick i fed into my Mass Fab literally straining the ability for the MassFab to keep up with the Tick rate in creating UU Matter? Where is the fun in something that can only accept a 2k per tick?

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am reading here that the EFab has a limit to how much RF per tick it will accept for a controller block?

What about the 1.5 million RF per tick i fed into my Mass Fab literally straining the ability for the MassFab to keep up with the Tick rate in creating UU Matter? Where is the fun in something that can only accept a 2k per tick?
I definitely wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the pack as a whole but this suggestion rings true for me. Experts like to assemble deity-level energy production sometimes, and we want a really good reason to do so. If there's a 2k/t limit, that feels a bit like an artificial barrier.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I guess my expectation along with other people's expectation was another Infinity Expert level pack. We didn't get that.
The EFab while cool, wasn't required in any other pack so why did you need it now? Using the mods crafting mechanics such as all the Advanced Rocketry machines and the carpenter would've sufficed and probably been better.
The pack was started too early, modded 1.12 didn't have time to mature. Development should've started in early 2018 to allow newer mods and recently ported mods to become stable enough to be used.
Mods such as the EnderIO would've had time to port.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I guess my expectation along with other people's expectation was another Infinity Expert level pack. We didn't get that.
Some people want new/different things. You're also contradicting your own primary argument "it's all the same stuff"

The EFab while cool, wasn't required in any other pack so why did you need it now?
See above.

The pack was started too early, modded 1.12 didn't have time to mature. Development should've started in early 2018 to allow newer mods and recently ported mods to become stable enough to be used.
Mods such as the EnderIO would've had time to port.
That's not how intelligent development works. You can't sit around waiting and hoping based on an expectation that certain parts of the system will arrive.

Nor is EnderIO so super important. And its also a classic "all the same stuff" mod (every pack ever uses EnderIO). That makes it three times in the same post that you contradicted your own main premise.

I think anyone paying attention here is abundantly clear that the issue here isn't that there's a problem: The issue here is that *you* do not like the pack (based on zero experience with it I might add: you threatened to run back to SevTech when the pack was minutes old)

Which would be absolutely fine if you were framing your concerns as "I wish the pack had X" instead of "this pack is terrible because of Y."

The funny thing is, I'm not even defending the damn pack. I don't know anything about the pack, and I'll probably start up my own "concerns" threads when I *do* find problems with it. But your constant negative attitude makes it seem like you're deliberately trying to tear down the community more than anything else. I really hope no FTB staff ever read your posts.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Gentlemen, If I may interject here, I Think the issue isn't that Continuum is "bad" per say, But rather the fact that Third party packs have gotten really, Really good. FTB popularized the concept of an "expert" pack with FTB IE, And since then we've seen packs such as Project Ozone 2: Reloaded, Divine journey, Age of Engineering, Forever stranded, Forever stranded: lost souls, Sevtech Ages, And many others That have jumped over the bar and grabbed it on there way up. So while i', sure it's not a "bad" pack, There are many, many, many others out there that (objectively) outclass it. Though I will say that having a vauge description that says "Continuum introduces new, never before used mods to make things even more difficult and challengingContinuum introduces new, never before used mods to make things even more difficult and challenging" When the only "new" mods in the pack are RFTools power, which is just a battery, and Efab, which is just a crafting system, Is a bit... Dumb, for lack of nicer terminology.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I am reading here that the EFab has a limit to how much RF per tick it will accept for a controller block?

I can help here.

So as far as I can tell recipes have both a requirement and a limit, the controller costs 36 million RF at 2k RF/t for example, this means that the recipe will consume RF at 2k RF/t and if it ever runs out it’ll stop and you’ll have to start the crafting process again. To supply RF you have storage blocks and “controls”, the controls I can’t remember the buffer but they do 50RF/t, the storage blocks have a buffer of 100k RF and can handle 250RF/t, you’ll be mostly using those probably, but the control is cheaper, earlier, and you require at least one. This will mean you’ll need multiple blocks to handle recipes at first, a TE machine frame uses 400RF/t for instance.

Now the second stage is that there’s an upgrade, can’t remember the name, just another block you can include. When included it removes the cap. All controls and storages can take and supply unlimited RF/t, and the recipes can handle it. Do you have 360 storage blocks for some reason so you can handle 36 million RF in a single tick? That’s how long it’ll take to craft I believe, more likely is you just supply a storage 10k RF/t for 5x speed.

So yeah, the RF/t is also a requirement and the limit can be removed to allow dumping in as much as you want with an upgrade. One available before the ME controller for reference.

Reactions: Pyure

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Gentlemen, If I may interject here, I Think the issue isn't that Continuum is "bad" per say, But rather the fact that Third party packs have gotten really, Really good. FTB popularized the concept of an "expert" pack with FTB IE, And since then we've seen packs such as Project Ozone 2: Reloaded, Divine journey, Age of Engineering, Forever stranded, Forever stranded: lost souls, Sevtech Ages, And many others That have jumped over the bar and grabbed it on there way up. So while i', sure it's not a "bad" pack, There are many, many, many others out there that (objectively) outclass it. Though I will say that having a vauge description that says "Continuum introduces new, never before used mods to make things even more difficult and challengingContinuum introduces new, never before used mods to make things even more difficult and challenging" When the only "new" mods in the pack are RFTools power, which is just a battery, and Efab, which is just a crafting system, Is a bit... Dumb, for lack of nicer terminology.
I'd have to agree. But, I got into making my own packs as when I tried various official ones from FTB, I noticed so many things not configured right and that trend has been increasing. The number of times I've seen these official packs with 2 different types of the same ore being generated in the world. That's just a shocking disgrace.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I do not see how Continuum could possibly add any sort of a challenge that is more unique than SevTech. IMO, SevTech is the greatest pack to come out in a very long time.

I do hope you're right about SevTech because I've been having a terrible time getting into the modpack, haven't found it very enjoyable so far.

I dropped my efforts at SevTech when FTB Continuum was released the other day, however I think my attention will return to SevTech shortly, since I see nothing in Continuum that is really going to hold my attention or interest for very long.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The number of times I've seen these official packs with 2 different types of the same ore being generated in the world. That's just a shocking disgrace.

Yeah I totally agree with that. I've been spoiled for a LONG time by the GregTech oregen, which I find to be the best in the entire modded community BY FAR.

In my humble opinion... ores should require a lot of hard work, a lot of searching to find them. But every FTB modpack uses the same darn 'vanilla' oregen in which every ore in the game can be found in every chunk in the world. Meh. It's so boring, its painful...

Reactions: Golrith

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Yeah I totally agree with that. I've been spoiled for a LONG time by the GregTech oregen, which I find to be the best in the entire modded community BY FAR.

In my humble opinion... ores should require a lot of hard work, a lot of searching to find them. But every FTB modpack uses the same darn 'vanilla' oregen in which every ore in the game can be found in every chunk in the world. Meh. It's so boring, its painful...
The best way to do ore generation, in my opinion, is dimension based. Different dimensions have different ores, progressing through one mod unlocks another mod.(Shameless self promotion to my pack - Coming Soon - Maybe)

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Agreed, I experimented with Veins and 1 in x chance in 1.7.10 skyisland world, and it really forces exploration, and being you can see some of the ores at island edges (challenge being getting to the ores without falling into the void) it avoids the tedium of mindless endless mining in stone for no reward (I guess that's why every chunk has ore).
Currently experimenting with Geolsys ore gen, I like that it gives you a clue with surface deposits.

The best way to do ore generation, in my opinion, is dimension based. Different dimensions have different ores, progressing through one mod unlocks another mod.(Shameless self promotion to my pack - Coming Soon - Maybe)
I sort of like that, but don't like to fully forced on the player to generate multiple dimensions (especially from a performance side of things). Have a very very low chance of those "dimension" ores generate in the overworld, player is then forced to either explore + grind the overworld, or make it "easy" by going through the hoops to get to the dimension.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I think my problem with Continuum is that it's basically the same pack that FTB always puts out.

Bees? Check
Forestry? Check
AE2? Check
IC2? Check
STUPID FOOD/EATING REQUIREMENTS? Check

Only new thing that I see in this pack is the EFAB system that is a BLATANT time sink. 30 min to craft some stuff with the basic parts needed? No... not a time sink at all.. for no other reason than to make you wait.

Making a pack last longer should never involve these kinds of "we are going to force you to wait" mechanics. SevTech does this a little with the drying processes needed for paper/leather etc, but 30 min for a damned controller? Hell the slime sling is a 30min craft... uggg

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think my problem with Continuum is that it's basically the same pack that FTB always puts out.

Bees? Check
Forestry? Check
AE2? Check
IC2? Check
STUPID FOOD/EATING REQUIREMENTS? Check

Only new thing that I see in this pack is the EFAB system that is a BLATANT time sink. 30 min to craft some stuff with the basic parts needed? No... not a time sink at all.. for no other reason than to make you wait.

Making a pack last longer should never involve these kinds of "we are going to force you to wait" mechanics. SevTech does this a little with the drying processes needed for paper/leather etc, but 30 min for a damned controller? Hell the slime sling is a 30min craft... uggg
Yep definitely not for everyone (nor should this type of pack be for everyone).

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Yep definitely not for everyone (nor should this type of pack be for everyone).

I agree, but I have to say, this pack feels like a weaker version of Infinity... No where near the same amount of mods involved in this pack.

I know folks were bugging the living bejebus out of them to make an expert pack, but this just doesn't feel "done".
Just feels like a stripped down version of the old expert mode..

/shrug?

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0
M

MikW

I do hope you're right about SevTech because I've been having a terrible time getting into the modpack, haven't found it very enjoyable so far.

I dropped my efforts at SevTech when FTB Continuum was released the other day, however I think my attention will return to SevTech shortly, since I see nothing in Continuum that is really going to hold my attention or interest for very long.

I stopped SevTech weeks ago because I can't seem to find a Darklands biome.

M

MikW

If I were you, I would install a small but very useful mod in this case - Nature's Compass. It provides an item which can find any biome in the world.

I know it's in the most recent SevTech update but I'm holding off for later since I actually don't have that much time to play a long, progression-based pack like SevTech, I moved to ATM 3 because I feel like playing an easy mode one currently :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I agree, but I have to say, this pack feels like a weaker version of Infinity... No where near the same amount of mods involved in this pack.

I know folks were bugging the living bejebus out of them to make an expert pack, but this just doesn't feel "done".
Just feels like a stripped down version of the old expert mode..

/shrug?
Maybe? I dunno, its not striking that note for me so far. I'm not super concerned with the number of mods, I just want to see what they do with the ones they have.

R

Rixxaw

Many good points have been made. Lets not even start comparing it to other packs. So far I'd say FS:LS is the best modpack out for 1.12.2, but it has its issues just like SevTech and Continuum.

I have been having a hard time figuring out how to say this so please forgive me if I can't easily make the point.

The problem with continiuum, is that there is no there there. What are we working towards? There are no end game awesome fun mods to grind towards. We are simply grinding for the sake of grinding. Lacking Draconic, any sort of magic mod, and many building options. I just don't see what is in it for me? Whats the hook?