A Pointless Rant + FTB Continuum Currently Known Mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

Moonz3r

@Nuclear_Creeper0 Go back and read Curseforge. Where does it say Magic is involved? You make progression through the game involving Tech not magic. Also, in your list of Mods, you should list Forestry first because that is the very first thing in your Quest book.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Going back to what I posted earlier, just watched Direwolf20 playing this on Forgecraft, and just as he was signing off, he stumbled across Bauxite Ore and Aluminium Ore. Again, lazy configs generating what is basically the same ore!
Tsk tsk, shook my head at that.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Actually, in the case of Continuum, that's not lazy. They are 2 separate ores. Aluminum is for/from Immersive Engineering and used as wiring and whatnot, Bauxite is from Tech Reborn and used exclusively there for breaking down to get Zinc, I think, and a chance at a small pile of Aluminum.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Not necessarily. I have both Aluminum and Bauxite in my pack, because the Pulverizer doesn't break Bauxite into something that can be smelted into aluminum.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I know in other packs that is true. Continuum has it set that Bauxite only works for Tech reborn. You cannot, short of the afore mentioned % change for a small pile, get Aluminum from Bauxite in Continuum. That is unless there is a way late game.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Actually, in the case of Continuum, that's not lazy. They are 2 separate ores. Aluminum is for/from Immersive Engineering and used as wiring and whatnot, Bauxite is from Tech Reborn and used exclusively there for breaking down to get Zinc, I think, and a chance at a small pile of Aluminum.
Ah, never used Tech Reborn so wasn't aware of this "difference". Thank you for educating me. Just shows how different mods handle things differently, as a result, what you expect and what you get can be totally at odds.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I do wonder if one day someone will implement cryolite as a way of getting aluminium at lower temps. Not sure how you'd do it though, I don't think tinker's allows that... unless you have it set so you have to crush the bauxite ore to ore powder/grit, and mix that with cryolite powder to get a "bauxite/cryolite mixed powder", which as a separate item could then have a lower melting point...

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
That sounds like something Thermal would employee. For tinkers I would expect something like that to be used with a different fuel than lava, like redstone in the 1.7.10 days needing blazing pyrotheum.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That sounds like something Thermal would employee. For tinkers I would expect something like that to be used with a different fuel than lava, like redstone in the 1.7.10 days needing blazing pyrotheum.
Yeah, that would work! So normal bauxite powder needs pyrotheum say, but the cryolite mix can be used with lava. Interesting...

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Well, pyrotheum was hotter to get redstone to melt with it's higher point not lower.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Well, pyrotheum was hotter to get redstone to melt with it's higher point not lower.
Indeed, but in this case I was thinking that in emulation of real life, bauxite normally needs a very high temp to melt, but with a proportion of cryolite (a different aluminium ore) the cryolite acts to allow the bauxite to melt at a lower temperature - which is why in this case the mix would be lower temp and the plain bauxite would be higher.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
You know, for Aluminum/Bauxite. You could just disable Aluminum and have Bauxite serve both purposes. Tech Reborn and Aluminum ore.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
True, but again, in Continuum, they are using both specifically and separately. I believe, if memory serves, they did exactly that in Age of Engineering.