A pack for the scrub lords...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm chasing a pack that's good for scrubs. I haven't played modded for a LONG time. So I imagined alot of it has changed. Is there a pack with quests that leads you through each mod thats up to dateish?

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Peace of Mind might be a good pack, being peaceful mode and having loads of quests to guide you through the pack. It is also up to date, being for 1.12.2.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Peace of Mind might be a good pack, being peaceful mode and having loads of quests to guide you through the pack. It is also up to date, being for 1.12.2.

Sorry for the derail here... But how does this mod pack handle items that require mob drops?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I would like to suggest Automaton, it's not quite vanilla, but has lightly changed recipes, and a nice quest book.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
^This. Also, Direwolf20 almost always runs a companion YouTube series where he plays through the pack as well as making every 10th episode downloadable... You can get everything he's done to that point to play and experiment with.

He also tries to keep every mod as close to the way it was written so you learn how it was meant to be played, instead of changing all the recipes.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@fight4anarchy One more thought for you. Every time I start a new play through, I make it a point to learn, or at least begin to learn, a new mod. Pick one mod you want to work with, watch a few how to videos, and learn what the limitations to that pack are, and then look for a mod that will fill that gap.

My personal suggestion to any person new to modded is to learn Tinker's Construct first, EnderIO second. These are probably the 2 most mainstream mods that do a little bit of everything exceptionally well. It doesn't take long to learn that both mods are lacking auto mining capabilities, so the next mod to learn is whatever mod in your pack will fill that gap. You also discover pretty quick that while EnderIO does have item and energy conduits, they are not exactly inexpensive to build, so take a look at your pack and find out what options are available that does the same thing for less resources.

Hope that helps.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd say Thermal Suite and Forestry are two better contenders for second to learn. Thermal has a big team behind it and Forestry's got a team and devs who've been doing this long enough that they're almost always among the first to hit release.

fight4anarchy

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the late reply here lads! Thanks heaps for all the suggestions. Im thinking d20 would be a good idea. Id pretty much completely forgotten about him tbh. Cheers for the suggestions all!