A New Direction [BC API/RF API]

Is this a good idea for handling modded MC "drama"

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly. Then why the almost half a year separation in release times?
Probably time spent to decoupling the mod into different modules? I mean, last time TE was just a mod with a dependency and now, it has a CoFHCore, CoFHLib, Thermal Foundation, Thermal Expansion and maybe a Thermal Dynamics later?

Reactions: RedBoss

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
ooohhh shiny tag........ what does "mod database admin" mean?
Better than you...

:p (just kidding!)

Folks, let's not let this turn into shitshorm2.0 The "debate" is done, we said our pieces in the first thread. Does this need to be locked as well so it doesn't spiral into a "your opinion" thread?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Let's end this discussion right now. On another note, we must consider what "complex" RF powered machines would look like. See padfoote's posted video.

Edit: ninja'd

Bwaaahahahaha! I win!!!

I still think my suggestion is valid, make an RF system that has all that "fun" you guys want, make it worth something to people who want to get more out of the system. Make certain machines only use the lossy cables or what have you, but those machines can do (insert something cool here that's not already done in RF).

I suggested machines that can pump out more than 80RF/t, say the regular cables "can't handle da powah!" so you need the lossy cables. The imagined super duper crazy happy fun fun times machines need a LOT of constant power to work right... So you need the >80RF/t power gen.

Or, all bow to the mighty config file... It is your god and saviour. Packs come out with RF with hardmode=true...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Honestly, I'm less interested in a lossy cable system and more interested in a system that takes up more space and requires more planning to construct, much like that video I posted a few pages back.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The crazy mob drop sorting system? Yeah... I don't begrudge your desire to make those super complex systems, but if you have to force players to do it that way, and only that way, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

The lossy cable is just an example. Make the machines require other machines to be placed near them, and their interaction is what causes super cool thing to happen.

I'm no modder, and honestly, my mod suggestions are stupid. But I feel the ideas behind my dumb ideas are worth looking at. At least to mock and shame me with! LOL

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The crazy mob drop sorting system? Yeah... I don't begrudge your desire to make those super complex systems, but if you have to force players to do it that way, and only that way, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

In a multiple mod environment using that system comes down to what the user wants. In a single mod environment, you know what you're getting yourself into. :p
Sprawl is fun for me.

I agree. I like seeing how compact people can make things, but I'm used to (and prefer) systems that have a footprint of 15x15, and that's after being compacted as far as possible.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
One of my mod ideas came out of a desire for something similar. Sprawl is fun for me.
Okay, then...

Make the machines give of different levels of (radiation/magnetic fields/sound waves) and depending on where you place them, you get different effects. Want supper efficient? Radiation is the way to go! Better keep it cooled tho! Oh, and don't stand next to it while it's running or you may get Zombified!

Want a mob attractor for a death pit? Sonic waves, combined just right will attract different kinds of mobs! Low pitch = zombies. Short pings = Skeletons...

The possibilities are endless, and it's something that is interactive, and can bring up some interesting "sprawl" trying to get certain things working with other things, and not interfering with each other.

Reactions: Queue

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Cutting up a mod shouldn't take near half a year. That's mostly copy-pasting.

Your forum flair says mod dev. Act like one. You know better.

A LOT more than that happened. There's a reason it became TE 4. The amount of copy/paste was actually quite minimal. There was a merger of PowerCrystalsCore and CoFHCore. There were near complete rewrites to everything else.

Also, I was infact gone for a while there. I'm getting a PhD and I'm still a practicing professional engineer. Sorry if my time is somewhat limited these days. And, you may notice that RF was intact and operational, even in 1.7.2, when Minecraft itself was barely functional. It received a small update for 1.7.10 to properly support @API and that's about it.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
In a multiple mod environment using that system comes down to what the user wants. In a single mod environment, you know what you're getting yourself into. :p

I agree. I like seeing how compact people can make things, but I'm used to (and prefer) systems that have a footprint of 15x15, and that's after being compacted as far as possible.

Um seconded :p

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Your forum flair says mod dev. Act like one. You know better.

A LOT more than that happened. There's a reason it became TE 4. The amount of copy/paste was actually quite minimal. There was a merger of PowerCrystalsCore and CoFHCore. There were near complete rewrites to everything else.

Also, I was infact gone for a while there. I'm getting a PhD and I'm still a practicing professional engineer. Sorry if my time is somewhat limited these days. And, you may notice that RF was intact and operational, even in 1.7.2, when Minecraft itself was barely functional. It received a small update for 1.7.10 to properly support @API and that's about it.
Xbony just got pwned :p

Anyway, I think of three things when it comes to (most) tech mods: power gen, power transfer, and power use.

Which one sprawls?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Anyway, I think of three things when it comes to (most) tech mods: power gen, power transfer, and power use.

Which one sprawls?

Transfer and use (IMO). Generation if done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.