1.8 MC on the near horizon?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I tried out the snapshot last week expecting a modest performance boost. I was met with worse performance than vanilla 1.7.10.

Even worse, now that I'm actually building machines in my modded 1.7.10 instance, my fps is dropping exponentially. Im getting worse frame in 1.7 with only 68 mods than I was getting with 150 mods in 1.6.

Its very frustrating.

Reactions: Bigpak and DREVL

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
But you may call me...Tim?

tim.jpg

I knew it!! I was right!!

Actually, I wasn't really sure, but... yep! :)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I tried out the snapshot last week expecting a modest performance boost. I was met with worse performance than vanilla 1.7.10.

Even worse, now that I'm actually building machines in my modded 1.7.10 instance, my fps is dropping exponentially. Im getting worse frame in 1.7 with only 68 mods than I was getting with 150 mods in 1.6.

Its very frustrating.
I downloaded the latest 1.8 snapshot, placed a plank on the ground, and waited 10 seconds for the lag to catch up and place it on the ground.

Reactions: RedBoss

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know if I will be going to 1.7. I have nowhere near even gotten bored of the 1.6.4 packs and still haven't even added half the mods I want to add. From what I hear 1.7 seems to be extremely buggy on chunkloading even though there is a mod called fastcraft or something that supposedly fixes it, I still would not want to play on it because of the fact that I've heard that mojang even said chunkloading in 1.7 is broken.

Not only that but IIRC some mods are skipping 1.7 entirely and are just waiting for 1.8. This is another reason I do not want to update to 1.7. Personally I cannot wait to see what 1.8 brings to the modding community. I really would like to hear some news on the modding API and whatnot.
Im staying on the 1.6.4 packs unless something extremely good comes out. (which may happen)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Mojang does not have an API.
lol.
Minecraft promised in 2009: API.
4 years have past and we have horses, fireworks, really bad use of computer resources and getting worse, and cats.
What we don't have yet after 4 years:
API

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

Its very frustrating.

exactly something I'm afraid of happening each time new Minecraft versions come out, that the game becomes more unplayable with each damn update

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
To the four staff add ons to help build a fresh API....

They have successfully added content, content, and more content.

No where closer to API though...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
To me, the only FTB update that really matters is 1.8 (because of the improved graphics processing algorithms that Mojang has recently done).

1.7 is sort of like an "interim" upgrade in my eyes. Yeah I'll be excited, but not to the same level of excitement as when we finally get some 1.8 packs (in a few years lol).

Agreed. Shame about 1.7 taking a massive step backwards in server performance. I may skip 1.7 entirely.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
exactly something I'm afraid of happening each time new Minecraft versions come out, that the game becomes more unplayable with each damn update

^^^^ This

My client can barely handle 100+ mods on 1.6 .[DOUBLEPOST=1408555649][/DOUBLEPOST]
I understand were you are coming from Bigpak ...am hoping the FTB 1.7 packs offer something really different to want the player base to move to 1.7 until 1.8......... I hear a lot on my servers PLL are just wanting to wait for 1.8 and keep playing 1.6 until then . I do plan to move a couple server over to 1.7 but you bet am saving the 1.6 worlds just in case the player base don't like it and want to go back to 1.6 ....am hoping its not like Windows update like Yusunoha was saying remember when most went back to XP until update windows 7;)

I doubt I will downgrade to 1.7 from 1.6. Shame that so many modders put that much work into 1.7 . Hopefully, 1.8 fixes the performance bugs in 1.7 .

Reactions: RedBoss

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
In the end, 1.7 may be kind of like 1.3. It's a period where modders are getting used to a fundamental change (client/server integration then, dropping block/item IDs now), and it gives them a chance to clean things up and familiarize themselves with it better, before we eventually move on to what will possibly be a much better version. You don't tend to see people playing 1.3, but you certainly see them playing 1.4.7.

Then again, 1.8 will introduce some fundamental changes (block states), so I guess we'll have to see just how smooth that transition becomes as well.

JusticeOF666

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft seems to be following kind of the same update pattern as Windows... one version is great and everyone loves it and the next version sucks ding dongs
sure, it brings in some new stuff, but also brings up alot of new bugs
then comes a version that fixes alot of the problem and soon after another awesome version comes out
but ofcourse after that, the next ding dong version comes up

never really planned on staying at 1.7 too long myself, I just find 1.7 really really buggy
Basically :
1.4.7 was like XP ,
1.5.2 was like vista ,
1.6.4 is solid like windows 7.
And now MC 1.7.2 was like win 8 ( bugs everywhere ) and 1.7.10/8.1 solved bugs but still is not great.

Minecraft 1.8 and win 9 shall soon be revolutionary. :cool:

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Greymerk

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft has a modding API, it's called forge. Let's not kid ourselves, the ones doing the real work on this stuff is the forge team. Mojang is working on a plugin API which is purely a bunch of nifty command block crap for sethbling to make mini-games with. It has nothing directly to do with mods, or modding.

The only thing the forge devs have asked for is that we support their work in carrying the modding community forward. Lack of enthusiasm and adoption just means we'll be waiting a lot longer for forge 1.8. That's not going to do good things for development side of modded minecraft, and in turn modpacks. straddling multiple versions means a lot of support/backporting overhead. Hats off to anyone willing to play that game, i'm not.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing the forge devs have asked for is that we support their work in carrying the modding community forward. Lack of enthusiasm and adoption just means we'll be waiting a lot longer for forge 1.8. That's not going to do good things for development side of modded minecraft, and in turn modpacks. straddling multiple versions means a lot of support/backporting overhead. Hats off to anyone willing to play that game, i'm not.

I have seen quite alot of support and enthusiasm for new features and mods! :eek: I often see people go like, woah this is awesome! Ofcourse with the following but: can you backport to 1.6.4?

Honestly, the problem isnt lack of support. Its that not every modder can keep up. A bunch of mods, including some popular ones, updated to 1.7.2 quite fast. They also dropped 1.6.4 completly, dispite 1.7.2 having some problems (holding some modders back to update) and vanilla minecraft going to 1.7.10, wich wasnt even released yet! And before we knew we had a perfectly working 1.6.4 with little mods updating annymore. And why? Then we had a 1.7.2 wich was never going to be "The version". Why the rush?

And this is going to repeat with 1.8. Certain modders have already shown that they want to update to 1.8 asap. Great? I am realy not sure on that one. It would be nice if we can get the broad stable modpacks from 1.6.4 on 1.7.10 before we start the whole cycle of 1.8.x beta builds with a bunch skipping to 1.8.final with more beta builds to stable 1.8.

Honestly, I feel like the mod makers rushed 1.7 and dropped 1.6.4 abit to early. I hope they wont make that mistake with 1.8... I dunno, just my 2cents.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I find it funny that as minecraft adds more features to map-makers, the big map-makers, Sethbling, Vechs, Hypixel, haven't been working much on maps :p
Other map makers are using it. The Farlanders are even making maps based upon snapshot content. Vechs & Sethbling are still consuming the new vanilla content. They're just doing so via Let's Plays on YouTube & Twitch.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I feel like the mod makers rushed 1.7 and dropped 1.6.4 abit to early. I hope they wont make that mistake with 1.8... I dunno, just my 2cents.

I tend to support older versions, though I won't pretend to imply that mine are nearly as hard to maintain as others. But I think part of the drop in 1.6 support may have been that Forge for 1.7 uses a completely new build system now with Gradle, rather than with the traditional MCP build scripts. So modders wanting to maintain versions for pre-1.7 are not only dealing with the game's differences, but also the build system's differences.

I personally find this awkward and have been working on making the older MCP build environment work with Forge for 1.7.x mods. Getting it to work wasn't so much the problem, it's making it capable of being deployed automatically when I want to use different versions of Forge that I'm still working on. I'll release it when I get it all worked out though, because I know that there are probably plenty of other modders who would enjoy having one consistent dev environment for maintaining backwards compatibility. Not to mention, Gradle is just slow.

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I personally find this awkward and have been working on making the older MCP build environment work with Forge for 1.7.x mods.

You know that as soon as you get it to work, Forge will change how the build system works, and you'll have to update it again... :/

Btw, I've found that ForgeGradle decompiles in about 1/10 of the time as the old MCP system. I'm guessing because it works with zip files, instead of folders with thousands of files.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
You know that as soon as you get it to work, Forge will change how the build system works, and you'll have to update it again... :/

Btw, I've found that ForgeGradle decompiles in about 1/10 of the time as the old MCP system. I'm guessing because it works with zip files, instead of folders with thousands of files.
I be a derp derp and have no clue really what that means, but does that mean large packs will load faster and you wont have to wait 5 minutes for the game to launch or whatever?