• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I got tired of my 1.7 test world and went back to 1.6. The Thaumcraft stuff is cool but not wildly different. @Bagman817 you're right, I HAD to install buildcraft after a while just for item transport. At that point, and an odd bug that destroys all of my items when I die, I gave up. I think I'll let other people debug this version of MC. I like the new vanilla biomes but it's not that serious.

One mildly interesting thing in 1.7 is the changes to fishing. New new vanilla fish, plus the potential for enchanted items and books, will be interesting from an enchantment system perspective. Plus nods like Mariculture that have fish traps will see some changes around this.... Maybe. Thaumcraft already has a golem fishing core and you need all three vanilla fish types for certain infusions.
Atleast I have golems to do something I can't stand... The Fishing overhaul was just a dirty bribe that said "Hey, I know fishing is jank, but how bout we sweetin the deal, and you keep your mouth shut about it... Kay? Kay." It's the same exact thing, just with some possibilities of actual rewards.

also I'm certainly in the pickle when it comes to 1.7 I've seen lots of interesting, and neat things.. but everytime I try making a pack... There's one mod, that would fit perfectly, and just.... leaves a void...

Reactions: egor66

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
also I'm certainly in the pickle when it comes to 1.7 I've seen lots of interesting, and neat things.. but everytime I try making a pack... There's one mod, that would fit perfectly, and just.... leaves a void...
There's a fine line between using a bleeding edge mod pack and just plain old bug testing

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
There's a fine line between using a bleeding edge mod pack and just plain old bug testing
Meh allot of modpacks with 1.6.4 feel like bloaty packs to me honestly. It hasn't been bug testing for me to be honest.. my other friend tried playing legit a couple months back, but they met so many setbacks....

I just want to play with the new toys dang it! Botania 1.6 is so broken, and Totemic has been revamped recently... Also wanna try out Fm 1.7 and see how Joshies port plays... I think Flaxy posted a pritty much fixed version beforehand in the mods git...

1.7 has been the absolute worst tease... As the community's been completely split on it... 1.7.9 is coming out Soon whenever soon is... But in the meantime were stuck with mods developing for a buggy version of minecraft, or dealing with a content freeze, which also has bugs....

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
It's academic at this point to integrate 1.7 Forge with mods that support 1.7.

I suspect the delay is partially a scheduling bottleneck because the mods that are desired by several FTB packs are not yet ported to 1.7 and stable at that version.

Regardless, it's entirely possible today to make 1.7 + Forge mod packs that work-like/ feel-like FTB packs. I'm doing it now and the pack I've built (http://foofarm.net/x) is Alpha testing at the moment.

The missing pieces are the Launcher and bug-fixes in the specific configurations of the mods (server side). Plus we're still debating the final slate of mods to put in the pack.

Like FTB, I too am in a holding pattern with respect to the mods we want and the availability of the mods being stable for 1.7. The other issue I suspect is the sheer level of work to integrate several packs to operate cleanly with the evergreen mods (energy handling, food handing, etc..)

Maybe the best thing to do is throw money at the mod developers ;-)

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Nah I've been working on a modpack for our groupe of friends... it's just it hasn't been very fun to be honest... And I actually had to disable thaumcraft's taint biomes when it came to that render bug... Ticon refuses to work on 1.7.2 due to that very same rendering issue, and I wouldn't be suprised if others may be on the same boat....

There's a push for people wanting to update and go forward with 1.7.2, however some simply cannot/ willnot and for fair reasons... One of my pack idea's will either be 1.6.4 , Or wait until 1.7.9 I'm slowly wanning to giving in for 1.6.4 however... I honestly haven't payed much attention to most of ftb's packs as they were cram everything in packs, where everyone does the same thing... over, and over, and over again... The only fresh breath of air being BnB and agra skies, and agra skies succes is hinged between hqm, and the few speed bumps thrown at you to draw out certain stages.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
You may end up Waiting for Guffman re: 1.7.9.

(Thank gawd for the Model Trains, where else would they get the idea for the bigger trains...)

1.7.9 ? IMHO - It doesn't add anything substantial to Forge. I expect the Forge guys are gunning for 1.8 next. There lies the real stuff. And perhaps a rework of threading in the core.

Code:
/me makes a small offering to the Gods of Forge

I really think the best way to support the 1.7 FTB bow wave is to throw money at the mod developers.[DOUBLEPOST=1401672475][/DOUBLEPOST]
lol. look at my siggy. phoenixcraft. lulz

It's just a project name, temporary placeholder for the name TBD.

I hope.

Last edited:

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Even so, 1.7.9 is the current version of Minecraft and it would be nice to have Forge updated to a version without all those bugs.
Also, it was announced some time ago and MC 1.8 is going to take some time. I'm not in a hurry at all, so I can wait however long it might take.

Reactions: systemv and RedBoss

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
My major desire for 1.7.9 , is more or less the fact that it was the last update, in a round of continued bugfix patches before a major addition update... 1.7.4 came out rather quickly for a reason... the other updates after that... those were rather slower in comparison. 1.7.2 was a minny patch update, that had several patch updates to follow after that...

1.8 wont be out for months in terms of just vanilla updates, and switching to a cleaner, version that isn't five updates behind, will be the better option I feel... It's atleast has the pincushion of a few months, so if it does come out, it will be the final stable version of minecraft for a month or two at the very least... They will actually have caught up to minecraft at that point....

Packs may be easier to start in 1.7.2, but maintaining and being the middleman behind the nightmarish amount of bugs, that can only be worked around, rather than actually FIXED is just not worth it...

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
So, it's a little rough around the edges, but I got my 1.7.2 based mod pack and launcher integrated.

http://sibomots.com

Features:
FML
mods
Uses Azure cloud for resource downloading mod assets.

Point, click, play.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Think I'll give it a whirl as not really deep into any pack atm, until AgS updates, tia.

Last edited:

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
We're really trying to shake the bugs out of the Alpha version (currently Alpha-1.0.4)
We have a long range plan to go through a typical development cycle... Alpha Beta, then RC and then gold-disc.
We have picked some mods (and they get installed as part of the Launcher functioning) (http://sibomots.com)
We have a server that runs the pack. (sibomots.com:19911)

The next steps for us are to add the server package to the installer (After Beta) and finalize the mod list (Alpha and Beta).
We might change the name. But the original server we had was a "MagicFarm2" server named "The Revenge of FooFarm" (FooFarm was our MagicFarm1 v3-v5 name, hence "Revenge of..."). Now we're simply calling it "Revenge".

I'll try to think of a better place to move this topic seeing how it's not really 1.7.2 specific, but just related.

Thanks. Let me know what you think. We got a gnats-like bug database too http://foofarm.net/bugz

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know we were arguing ;-) We were discussing trade-offs, I think. No harm in that.

Anyway.. re: 1.7.2 we're full on testing now. A mod pack designed to be 1.7.2 compliant, and the mods selected are leaning towards GPL/CC licensing. A few exceptions where we have to make offerings at the altar of MystCraft etc... But by and large, it's mostly {L}GPL/CC licensing. The testing has uncovered some bugs and we account for them in the Bugzilla database.

All the gory details at the community portal, http://siboroc.net

The notable features of this experiment are: We're hosting most of this in the cloud (Azure), and the Launcher is getting better. Right now there's just one pack available via the Launcher, but a light-version of YogscastComplete for our Steampunk server is almost ready to push up.

I started from scratch on this 1.7.2 pack so if you're interested in knowing what the pitfalls are, just PM me here or there. I'm around.

Looks like FTB is already begun their 1.7.2 beachhead approach and we'll follow their progress also.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know we were arguing ;-) We were discussing trade-offs, I think. No harm in that.

Anyway.. re: 1.7.2 we're full on testing now. A mod pack designed to be 1.7.2 compliant, and the mods selected are leaning towards GPL/CC licensing. A few exceptions where we have to make offerings at the altar of MystCraft etc... But by and large, it's mostly {L}GPL/CC licensing. The testing has uncovered some bugs and we account for them in the Bugzilla database.

All the gory details at the community portal, http://siboroc.net

The notable features of this experiment are: We're hosting most of this in the cloud (Azure), and the Launcher is getting better. Right now there's just one pack available via the Launcher, but a light-version of YogscastComplete for our Steampunk server is almost ready to push up.

I started from scratch on this 1.7.2 pack so if you're interested in knowing what the pitfalls are, just PM me here or there. I'm around.

Looks like FTB is already begun their 1.7.2 beachhead approach and we'll follow their progress also.
No one was, that's why mini moderating is frowned upon.

Your "light" version of Yogs must be anemic since a LOT of the mods in that pack are not updated to 1.7.

Do you have any concerns that your efforts to optimize for 1.7.2 will be wasted in the current push from Forge to release 1.7.9? I know many graphical errors in 1.7.2 are halting development from certain authors until they can get a hold of a truly up to date version of Forge.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
From what I see so far, a lot of mods that are desirable in 1.7.x are still in work. I can appreciate the long lead time to get to that point.

I do believe that at least trying to get a stable 1.7.2 pack developed with what exists today is effort well spent. (We've already covered the trade-offs above in the thread).

I do also believe that the 1.7.9+ work is a good foundation and perhaps it may be wasting some of my time to focus on 1.7.2, but again the 1.7.x platform is distinctly different and any 1.7.2 mod has a better rate of successful porting to 1.7.9+.

My analogy is like a football game. 1.6.x is the parking lot. Lots of tailgate parties. Lots of fun. The big game is inside the stadium where the 1.7.x work is happening. And on the field is 1.7.9+. So being in the stadium for 1.7 work seems like a good way to spend time. I could hang out in the parking lot and get drunk on the 1.6.x milieu. But, I've been there, got the tee-shirt.

I'm drifting into opinion here and light on facts. Let me recover -- The facts are difficult to find with respect to 1.7.9 and true intent of Forge. I'm sure if they're reading this they may snort at the comment. Regardless, I couldn't give them more praise for the work they do. And, to me any support of 1.7.x lends to a greater population using mod packs (and therefore mods) for 1.7. The mod developers certainly could benefit from more foot traffic through their portals. It's the network effect that I am implying. An example of the network effect is the common FAX machine. One FAX machine is worthless (who can you send to?) Two is still pretty worthless, the more FAX machines there are, then the more valuable they become (re: more useful). I'd argue (oops!) that more 1.7.x modded servers is a good thing. More players trying 1.7.x modded servers brings more foot-traffic to those stakeholders who need patronage, donations, bug reports, etc...)