[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that bandits are spawning in their place. Thanks for the additional clue.

Tyrdran is still dead. I cleared the dungeon down to his spot and found his corpse still laying there. Without the ability to get the drop I cannot complete the quest. I'm going to edit the HQM book, but is there a way to get the item so i can complete the quest with the Draconis Commander?
tyldran will respawn after about an hour if i remember, but let me double check his stats.

EDIT: Yeah, should be an hour. If not, go gamemode 1 and grab the npc editor click into open air, select tyltran then edit, then just click the X in the upper right. That will immediately reset him and just go back into gamemode 0 (don't forget to destroy the editor, it looks like a wooden hoe BTW)

Last edited:

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
tyldran will respawn after about an hour if i remember, but let me double check his stats.

EDIT: Yeah, should be an hour. If not, go gamemode 1 and grab the npc editor click into open air, select tyltran then edit, then just click the X in the upper right. That will immediately reset him and just go back into gamemode 0 (don't forget to destroy the editor, it looks like a wooden hoe BTW)

If hes the one in the nether area of the rog dungeon, I've found him several times always dead and walk through-able
looks pretty tall, is he suffocating on the ceiling ?

Reactions: GreatOrator

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've taken the coven quest, killed the witches the Ephalba. HQM detected completion just fine, but the villager quest is not detecting that I've even found the witch lair.

Also, Ephalba is respawning after about 15 seconds.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
If hes the one in the nether area of the rog dungeon, I've found him several times always dead and walk through-able
looks pretty tall, is he suffocating on the ceiling ?
No, he doesn't suffocate, I made sure of that in that room, though the respawn time may have glitched. which is why I mentioned using the wand.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've taken the coven quest, killed the witches the Ephalba. HQM detected completion just fine, but the villager quest is not detecting that I've even found the witch lair.

Also, Ephalba is respawning after about 15 seconds.
I'll check on that time too, very possible same glitch issue, just the opposite direction.

The captain should be taking the item you got from ephelba to complete the quest.

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
This pack has a lot of potential. It feels like you've put an enormous amount of work into it. Much appreciated.

Being that it is a beta I expected there to be a good deal of polishing and such to work on. Here are some things/criticisms I feel might help you.

There is a tendency to assume that the player has information that isn't readily apparent or wants to go on wild goose chases for hours. What may seem like an obvious hiding place or next step in a quest for you can be following a frustratingly obtuse set of instructions for the player. In quest dialogue there could be many more relevant details shared. If a detective type quest is desired, perhaps provide more clues or breadcrumbs so that a player feels they sleuthed out the solution rather than just stumbled onto it by tedious and repetitive bumbling. Imagine you are asking someone for a favor, wouldn't you want to give them enough information to be able and want to do it for you?

Numbers seem arbitrary. Right out of the gate the first real quest has the player killing a ridiculously large amount of mobs. Killing 20 witches is somewhat more reasonable, but their spawn time is long and inconsistent. It feels like these quests were tested with spawn eggs.

Progression is unclear. When do we get to go to Middle Earth? Why are we helping this kingdom? When and where can we build a base? I'm intrigued with the direction and the world looks great, but after around 4 or 5 hours playing this map I've yet to experience any Tolkien. It's been mostly trying to figure my way around finding stuff, dealing with broken quests, and inventory management.

All in all I'm excited to see how this pack turns out. I've been in love with the world of Tolkien since I was very young and was attracted to this pack because of that. At this point I just find it to be very frustrating. Almost like just waiting for the adventure to start.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
This pack has a lot of potential. It feels like you've put an enormous amount of work into it. Much appreciated.

Being that it is a beta I expected there to be a good deal of polishing and such to work on. Here are some things/criticisms I feel might help you.

1. There is a tendency to assume that the player has information that isn't readily apparent or wants to go on wild goose chases for hours. What may seem like an obvious hiding place or next step in a quest for you can be following a frustratingly obtuse set of instructions for the player. In quest dialogue there could be many more relevant details shared. If a detective type quest is desired, perhaps provide more clues or breadcrumbs so that a player feels they sleuthed out the solution rather than just stumbled onto it by tedious and repetitive bumbling. Imagine you are asking someone for a favor, wouldn't you want to give them enough information to be able and want to do it for you?

2. Numbers seem arbitrary. Right out of the gate the first real quest has the player killing a ridiculously large amount of mobs. Killing 20 witches is somewhat more reasonable, but their spawn time is long and inconsistent. It feels like these quests were tested with spawn eggs.

3. Progression is unclear. When do we get to go to Middle Earth? Why are we helping this kingdom? When and where can we build a base? I'm intrigued with the direction and the world looks great, but after around 4 or 5 hours playing this map I've yet to experience any Tolkien. It's been mostly trying to figure my way around finding stuff, dealing with broken quests, and inventory management.

All in all I'm excited to see how this pack turns out. I've been in love with the world of Tolkien since I was very young and was attracted to this pack because of that. At this point I just find it to be very frustrating. Almost like just waiting for the adventure to start.

First, let me say thank you for the excellent feedback this is what has helped the changes thus far from those before you! :)

1. I do have some ideas on what I want to do. Some of these quests were transferred from an earlier map when I started in 1.7.2 and the map layout was slightly different so the bandits weren't AS hidden and made more sense where they were, so I agree. I will take a look in the morning to see what I can come up with...maybe a location point at the very least in HQM to help guide the player.

2. The numbers ARE for the most part arbitrary at the moment as I had no major base to test against. That said, having you guys reporting and watching Vals stream I have made adjustments that will be in the next official update (Creepers I am looking at you....) by taking advantage of more of the surrounding features I have put in place. As I get feedback and watch streams it gives me a MUCH better picture of what makes more sense on a grander scale (I think I have a better solution for certain spawners thanks to draconic evolution)

3. Progression is a bit clearer than you think. I believe the issue is more of the initial seeming grind because of the high numbers, but once you get past the troll you'll see what I mean as the quest that opens up kind of hints at it and I will be adding a new HQM quest that will direct you the dimensional travel way as well.

Added extra: While not as fleshed out as I have envisioned so far, the text of the NPC quests (HQM is intended to be a helper more than an actual descriptor for the NPC's) does actually hint, and in some cases, describe a darker plot surrounding the kingdom. Without giving too much info, not all NPC's will have dialog or all dialog in the beginning, so some you may have to talk to several different times to see what comes available that wasn't before. (hmmm, sounds like another bit of instruction to add to the HQM book)

What I am trying to avoid is using HQM to teach people how to progress like most skyblock style packs and try to put more lore into it and let the players experience and learn the way they used to before HQM because I feel HQM can be more than just a psuedo wiki for mods.

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
Cool.

Did the troll. I used the solution you suggested. Worked after a couple of tries. There were two versions of him listed in the npc editor gui. one of the listings spawned him dead and the other spawned him alive. Perhaps the spawn is set using the dead entity?

In the Coven's Sake I am stuck in part 1. Unless the witches den in someplace different than where Ephelba lives, then there is something amiss here as I am not able to trigger the next stage. stuck at "witchesden: not found" I have hopped, ran, and crawled all around the area trying to trigger completion as I have already killed ephelba about 15x.

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with you on not using HQM as a functional wiki, but I'm seeing some problems with having two different quest systems in place. It seems to be generating additional confusion and problems (getting out of sync, not turning in both at same time)
I have to agree that some additional info in the dialogue for where / how on the quests would help

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Cool.

Did the troll. I used the solution you suggested. Worked after a couple of tries. There were two versions of him listed in the npc editor gui. one of the listings spawned him dead and the other spawned him alive. Perhaps the spawn is set using the dead entity?

In the Coven's Sake I am stuck in part 1. Unless the witches den in someplace different than where Ephelba lives, then there is something amiss here as I am not able to trigger the next stage. stuck at "witchesden: not found" I have hopped, ran, and crawled all around the area trying to trigger completion as I have already killed ephelba about 15x.
I am/have been working on tweaking the spawner I have hidden for the witches to be a tad faster without being overwhelming. as for the location, I'll take a look. if it is the first one of the series the location should be near where the captain is wandering around. Ephalba is the last stage in that series and the witches should start spawning at the moment at night though that will be updated with the next release.
I'm with you on not using HQM as a functional wiki, but I'm seeing some problems with having two different quest systems in place. It seems to be generating additional confusion and problems (getting out of sync, not turning in both at same time)
I have to agree that some additional info in the dialogue for where / how on the quests would help
Yeah, I have actually been tweaking the text and verbage in HQM from your guys' feedback so SHOULD be a bit better explained. As for the sync, the good news is, I was able to have an actual talk with the dev of customnpcs and let him know it would be nice to have hqm and customcpcs hook into each other so we'll see where that leads, just keep in mind though that for the most part once you get past the limited few quests in the first section the rest should perform better. Otherwise not much I can do since this is a relatively new way to use HQM and customNPC's it is going to be a minute to get used to it (remember Agrarian how first adopters had problems figuring it out?)

coolbrz

Jul 29, 2019
No, he doesn't suffocate, I made sure of that in that room, though the respawn time may have glitched. which is why I mentioned using the wand.

Ran into the same issue with the troll, might be something odd that may be causing him to get stuck in the wall, the body looks to be in the corner of the room, at any rate i used the same trick to spawn him and then kill him.

Here is where i found his body initially,

2014-09-12_19.11.58.jpg

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Ran into the same issue with the troll, might be something odd that may be causing him to get stuck in the wall, the body looks to be in the corner of the room, at any rate i used the same trick to spawn him and then kill him.

Here is where i found his body initially,

View attachment 12886
Yeah, when I went to check on it it turns out his respawn timer was set to 72000, which in tics would have been fine but the timer was changes to seconds which means he would not have spawned for about 20 hours instead of an hour that will be fixed.

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
@Vals NoisyToys has graciously completed a youtube video walk through on the beginning basics of the modpack! I have updated both the OP and the website to showcase the video for you all.

Thanks Vals, you are awesome!

Your quite welcome, GreatOrator! I hope it helps the initial confusion until the two quest systems are (hopefully!) able to talk to each other in some meaningful fashion. :) I'm really enjoying the modpack, and have to admit its quite hard not to be playing it off stream. :p Agrarian Skies just might find itself wrapped up and retired sooner than I thought. ;) (Been playing it 5-6 days a week since May :p).

I do have one question that occurred to me last night - is there any way to sell stuff to the NPC merchants? I was pondering how to obtain coins and realized that so far I've only noticed getting them via quests. If I've missed something obvious, er, well... I get distracted at times. ... Oo! Shiny!!

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Your quite welcome, GreatOrator! I hope it helps the initial confusion until the two quest systems are (hopefully!) able to talk to each other in some meaningful fashion. :) I'm really enjoying the modpack, and have to admit its quite hard not to be playing it off stream. :p Agrarian Skies just might find itself wrapped up and retired sooner than I thought. ;) (Been playing it 5-6 days a week since May :p).

I do have one question that occurred to me last night - is there any way to sell stuff to the NPC merchants? I was pondering how to obtain coins and realized that so far I've only noticed getting them via quests. If I've missed something obvious, er, well... I get distracted at times. ... Oo! Shiny!!
Well, a merchant to buy stuff is kinda on the drawing board and I am still trying to figure out how I want it to work. However, the ultimate goal is to have players earn the coins in middle-earth because a number of the mod's merchants will buy different mob drops and pay you silver.

There is a quest that will open up once the troll is defeated that will not only allow you to move on to your own adventures (though not entirely done without mystcraft) and will open up, up until that point, a closed building that will grant access to new areas as well.

I guess if we could get a short list on what everyone agrees on junk-item list I could more easily decide on how to set up the merchant. I had considered lowering the requirement (pre-troll quest) opening of the others, but I feel the quests up to the troll really will help get into the feel.

Really happy and excited to see you and everyone else having so much fun with this pack! :)

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

jimmytrouser

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get a server version of this to use privately as my game always runs better if I can split the game to a server and run the client on my laptop.

I am really impressed with the amount of work put into this mod pack but 1.7.10 runs bad on my machine.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Short answer - Coming Soon(tm)

Long answer, I do plan on having a server version once I am ready to come out of beta. With everything currently changing so much because of balancing I would rather spend my time currently getting the SSP version as close to right as possible first as that will make the server version easier. I will most certainly announce once it is available as I realize (me too, server separate is sooo much better for my machine) the benefits.

jimmytrouser

Jul 29, 2019
Short answer - Coming Soon(tm)

Long answer, I do plan on having a server version once I am ready to come out of beta. With everything currently changing so much because of balancing I would rather spend my time currently getting the SSP version as close to right as possible first as that will make the server version easier. I will most certainly announce once it is available as I realize (me too, server separate is sooo much better for my machine) the benefits.
Great stuff!

Just a quickie: Did you know the chisel(from chisel mod) and iron towel (from botany mod) are the same recipe?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Great stuff!

Just a quickie: Did you know the chisel(from chisel mod) and iron towel (from botany mod) are the same recipe?
Yes, actually I did. And without adding mine or mod tweaker there is no easy way to fix it, though I did add the item you CAN'T get to the botanist in the main market to compensate. The cost to buy is the same as if you crafted it

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a merchant to buy stuff is kinda on the drawing board and I am still trying to figure out how I want it to work. However, the ultimate goal is to have players earn the coins in middle-earth because a number of the mod's merchants will buy different mob drops and pay you silver.

There is a quest that will open up once the troll is defeated that will not only allow you to move on to your own adventures (though not entirely done without mystcraft) and will open up, up until that point, a closed building that will grant access to new areas as well.

I guess if we could get a short list on what everyone agrees on junk-item list I could more easily decide on how to set up the merchant. I had considered lowering the requirement (pre-troll quest) opening of the others, but I feel the quests up to the troll really will help get into the feel.

Really happy and excited to see you and everyone else having so much fun with this pack! :)

Cool! A mob drop buyer would work. I realize there is an issue with not making too much coin available too easily. :p So perhaps they should buy the things that drop less frequently solely from the mobs and only the common drops that can't be produced elsewhere, and full stacks of those common drops at that. Eg (prices just for example :p) 1 stack of zombie flesh = 1 coin. 1 zombie head = 1 coin. If there aren't any creeper spawners available to farm (and no way to auto-spawn them), then I suggest creeper heads ought to be worth more. Same with enderman heads.

Yes, actually I did. And without adding mine or mod tweaker there is no easy way to fix it, though I did add the item you CAN'T get to the botanist in the main market to compensate. The cost to buy is the same as if you crafted it

That sounds like a fair price. :)

Last edited: