[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, GreatOrator - I couldn't find a way to modify rpg hud location - it doesn't seem to have a config file, so I went back to the original you'd set up. However, I did edit Waila.cfg to move the info box down and shrink it a bit. These are the lines I modified (might need to finetune, but at first blush it looks ok):
I:waila.cfg.posy=1500
I:waila.cfg.scale=80

So, early information for upcoming update.

I have made the decision to remove mystcraft from the pack. First, since it's not in, won't be missed...lol. Second, As much as I truly love mystcraft, in the overall feel I am going for it doesn't really have a place. I only really wanted it for a couple of features, the link book, the portals, and the tpx command, with the rest being bonus content. However, with extra utilities you have the deep dark for mining as well as the bedrock dimension from thaumic tinker so the major reason most people create ages are easily handled by those, plus once Ars Magica Releases, you will have the moo moo farm. To compensate however, Draconic Evolution has the dislocators, which actually provide for the same type of teleport as link books plus the mod dev and I have talked and he will be implementing a command similar to tpx as well which will even further lessen the need for mystcraft. Third, In all fairness, I really want the pack to focus on exploration in middle earth, and mystcraft would take from that as well.

That said, I will finally have two more key components to the quest line completed that originally was relying on mystcraft.

The next update features several quest bugfixes (thank a ton you guys!) as well as some balancing of spawners based on what I have been watching as @Vals NoisyToys has been streaming. I also tweaked a few of the configs to make things a bit better, yes, infernal mobs was one, rares will spawn at 10% chance, ultras at 5% of the spawns of rares, and true infernals will be 5% of ultras. This should help a bit. I also disabled webber and sticky so you guys won't have to worry about getting your weapons stolen!

Also did a few map tweaks, some of which should improve performance (thank god for new features in bibliocraft) such as paintings now not being freaking laggy entities. I still have more to replace as I find them.

I also have removed a couple of other mods, nothing major, but also added a new rpg type mod that is, in my opinion, awesome for what it does for managing player equipment and adds three new armor items...more as the release gets closer.

Wow! You've been busy. I don't think I'll miss Mystcraft - and I agree that it doesn't seem to fit what I understand of your vision for the pack. :) Yay for performance tweaks! This all sounds wonderful- and I'm happy to hear about the config tweaks. ;) I'd comment more but I gotta get ready for you-know-what. :p

Reactions: GreatOrator

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was playing around with that too. It does let you move things, but the problem I have found with Damage Indicators (the mob hud) is that it is based on screen and monitor size, so what looks good to me would possibly be all messed up on another computer. I have a request in place for the RPG hud dev to maybe add the mob hud to his and allow for centering of the hud on screen. Also requested from tinkers to stop force rendering the hearts on screen.

coolbrz

Jul 29, 2019
So, early information for upcoming update.

I have made the decision to remove mystcraft from the pack. First, since it's not in, won't be missed...lol. Second, As much as I truly love mystcraft, in the overall feel I am going for it doesn't really have a place. I only really wanted it for a couple of features, the link book, the portals, and the tpx command, with the rest being bonus content. However, with extra utilities you have the deep dark for mining as well as the bedrock dimension from thaumic tinker so the major reason most people create ages are easily handled by those, plus once Ars Magica Releases, you will have the moo moo farm. To compensate however, Draconic Evolution has the dislocators, which actually provide for the same type of teleport as link books plus the mod dev and I have talked and he will be implementing a command similar to tpx as well which will even further lessen the need for mystcraft. Third, In all fairness, I really want the pack to focus on exploration in middle earth, and mystcraft would take from that as well.

Hmmm i kind of had a thought when you were speaking of portals and teleportation, might be kind of a idea for your pack.

Possibly the warp book mod, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...inecraft-mods/1293310-teleportation-warp-book

But for a twist, you could make whatever pages you wanted and offer them as quest rewards. Remove the crafting recipe, have people get the book with say a warp spot to draconia, then you could reward pages to where you want people to go.

I have no clue what your original idea was with mystcraft so im just tossing this out there, for some reason i thought of that mod right when i was reading your post heh.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm i kind of had a thought when you were speaking of portals and teleportation, might be kind of a idea for your pack.

Possibly the warp book mod, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...inecraft-mods/1293310-teleportation-warp-book

But for a twist, you could make whatever pages you wanted and offer them as quest rewards. Remove the crafting recipe, have people get the book with say a warp spot to draconia, then you could reward pages to where you want people to go.

I have no clue what your original idea was with mystcraft so im just tossing this out there, for some reason i thought of that mod right when i was reading your post heh.
I actually was considering that mod as well, but ultimately the author of Draconic evolution added items that will do exactly what I want and he is going to add the console command similar to mystcraft so players can tp between dimensions. But thank you for the info! glad to see we think alike!

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Found a few minor bugs -- the HQM quest for captain says he should give you dragon currency, doesn't seem to actually give it out
The witches who spawn as part of the coven quest- - might tone that down a bit -- had a hillside raining potions down on me :D
The HQM quest for the queen unlocked, but i haven't seen the actual item, and the quest description in
Queens mystery, was a bit of a wander to find the start point on that one, did find it eventually - however, I'm now stuck in the room part - looks like i'm looking for a diary, but not finding anything in the room like that -- before i start smashing walls, can you verify there should be something for me to find there ?
Still toying with that one.

The tweaks you've done to the main quest chain are A+

Something is triggering ambient jungle noises in half the castle seems a bit odd.

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Found a few minor bugs -- the HQM quest for captain says he should give you dragon currency, doesn't seem to actually give it out
The witches who spawn as part of the coven quest- - might tone that down a bit -- had a hillside raining potions down on me :D
The HQM quest for the queen unlocked, but i haven't seen the actual item, and the quest description in
Queens mystery, was a bit of a wander to find the start point on that one, did find it eventually - however, I'm now stuck in the room part - looks like i'm looking for a diary, but not finding anything in the room like that -- before i start smashing walls, can you verify there should be something for me to find there ?
Still toying with that one.

The tweaks you've done to the main quest chain are A+

Something is triggering ambient jungle noises in half the castle seems a bit odd.
I'll look into the captains quest...thought I had that set...or maybe it was that I hadn't quite finished it yet....there are some that open up later in his chain that give them out.

I'll double check that one too. I know in current testing I have it toned down a bit and the max spawn I have seen is four at once, but typically the number that on average spawn I was able to kill before the next spawn round. But definitely will check.

The HQM book is the key to that chain, nearly the entire thing is handled in there and the coords take you to a spot that you "find" the diary. (look near the bookcase, people like to hide stuff there.

Glad to see you are liking the changes, oh, and the jungle noises are the toads by the ponds...
If you want a cheap mining age there is aroma1997s dimensional world.
Well, Like I said, wasn't that I wanted mining worlds, just that I knew that's what people tended to do with mystcraft. But with two, possibly three dimensions that are basically for that purpose from EU and Thaumic Tinker (and later Ars Magica) no need for mystcraft for that either.

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
21Sept14

Hey GreatOrator, got something for you.

I was flying (bat'a bat'a bat'a) at the edges of my new base just to generate the chunks around it, and I found something that crashed me. Every time I go near a certain area of the map I crash, and I get the same crash info re entity.projectile.EntityThrowable. See the pastebin for the actual log. I wonder if this is what crashed Kitt today as well?

http://pastebin.com/4mxtEqgX

Also, I was wondering, do you know if its possible to copy over our waypoints from one map to an updated one? I had a look and at first glance I didn't see a likely file that was a list of map waypoints, but if you don't know which it is, I'll research further on Tues. Thanks! ;)

Last edited:

kittana

Jul 29, 2019
21Sept14

I was flying (bat'a bat'a bat'a) at the edges of my new base just to generate the chunks around it, and I found something that crashed me. Every time I go near a certain area of the map I crash, and I get the same crash info re entity.projectile.EntityThrowable. See the pastebin for the actual log. I wonder if this is what crashed Kitt today as well?

Also, I was wondering, do you know if its possible to copy over our waypoints from one map to an updated one? I had a look and at first glance I didn't see a likely file that was a list of map waypoints, but if you don't know which it is, I'll research further on Tues. Thanks! ;)

Exactly the crash i had - same block type - just a different location over there...

-- Block being ticked --
Details:
Block type: ID #23 (tile.dispenser // net.minecraft.block.BlockDispenser)
Block data value: 10 / 0xA / 0b1010
Block location: World: (-70,35,2414), Chunk: (at 10,2,14 in -5,150; contains blocks -80,0,2400 to -65,255,2415), Region: (-1,4; contains chunks -32,128 to -1,159, blocks -512,0,2048 to -1,255,2559)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
21Sept14

Exactly the crash i had - same block type - just a different location over there...

-- Block being ticked --
Details:
Block type: ID #23 (tile.dispenser // net.minecraft.block.BlockDispenser)
Block data value: 10 / 0xA / 0b1010
Block location: World: (-70,35,2414), Chunk: (at 10,2,14 in -5,150; contains blocks -80,0,2400 to -65,255,2415), Region: (-1,4; contains chunks -32,128 to -1,159, blocks -512,0,2048 to -1,255,2559)
Ok, so it looks like most likely is the artifacts mod has generated a tower and a potion it is placing in the dispenser is causing the crash. I had seen it once before but they had updated the mod since then (which is in the 2.0.6 update). Can you get back into the map or is it keeping you from getting back into the map?

Reported it to the mod dev either way

Last edited:
Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

RustyXXL

Jul 29, 2019
Hey

A really nice modpack you have here. I fooled around with it a bit.
Sadly 1.7.10 runs really bad for me somehow. I have to set the process priority to high to get playable Framerates, even though I can run even the biggest packs in 1.6.4 with no problems at all. My Processor is at 3-5% and my ram is at 15% when not running mc, and neither of those gets to 100% when running the pack, so it shouldn't make a real difference.

A couple of questions:
Is it safe to disable Infernal mobs? I really dislike that mod. In my opinion it is to hard to see wich effects the mobs have in the heat of the fight. It also adds some effects I dislike and find a poor design choice. To provide a suggestion: Maybe add Special mobs as an optional for those that dislike Infernal Mobs?

If possible I would like to have the free stuff reduced. All those NPCs throwing stuff at you...it really gets annoying. Especially when you are new in town and get a free enchanting table from a random stranger...(the grocer)

Would it be possible to add EnderIO to the pack? Mostly for their Conduits, I really do like their Style.
Also it would be nice to have Other options for the Minimap. I personally prefer Zans Minimap/Voxelmap for it's ingame waypoints, but I guess I could add that myself and disable the Opis/Mapwriter Minimap.

I really love the city though. It's really nicly build. You can see that a lot of effort went into it (and the rest of the modpack)
I hope you'll keep expanding on that and maybe even add other Cities (in different styles) over time. :)

Thanx for your great work.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Hey

A really nice modpack you have here. I fooled around with it a bit.
Sadly 1.7.10 runs really bad for me somehow. I have to set the process priority to high to get playable Framerates, even though I can run even the biggest packs in 1.6.4 with no problems at all. My Processor is at 3-5% and my ram is at 15% when not running mc, and neither of those gets to 100% when running the pack, so it shouldn't make a real difference.

A couple of questions:
Is it safe to disable Infernal mobs? I really dislike that mod. In my opinion it is to hard to see wich effects the mobs have in the heat of the fight. It also adds some effects I dislike and find a poor design choice. To provide a suggestion: Maybe add Special mobs as an optional for those that dislike Infernal Mobs?

If possible I would like to have the free stuff reduced. All those NPCs throwing stuff at you...it really gets annoying. Especially when you are new in town and get a free enchanting table from a random stranger...(the grocer)

Would it be possible to add EnderIO to the pack? Mostly for their Conduits, I really do like their Style.
Also it would be nice to have Other options for the Minimap. I personally prefer Zans Minimap/Voxelmap for it's ingame waypoints, but I guess I could add that myself and disable the Opis/Mapwriter Minimap.

I really love the city though. It's really nicly build. You can see that a lot of effort went into it (and the rest of the modpack)
I hope you'll keep expanding on that and maybe even add other Cities (in different styles) over time. :)

Thanx for your great work.
FPS is definitely been an issue with 1.7, but we posted some info back a page or so with instructions that may improve that for you.

You can disable nearly any mod you want (though I would suggest not disabling customnpcs or HQM of course) As for minimap, you can add one in, just disable opis if you do (i realize seeing mobs on the map is nice but it is actually an FPS hog) I just have it as it is a phenomenal tool to help monitor performance and the minimap is actually very good aside from not seeing mobs.

While I realize AE is out of place for the feel of the pack (admittedly, it is the one modset in there purely because I love it so much) mods like ender i/o are out of place for the overall feel but you are welcome to add it is if you wish.

Thank you very much. I did spend quite some time getting that map built (and it is actually the second rendition of it). I have been asked before, and it is always a possibility for a second town, but the difficult issue is that unlike skyblock maps which are finite, having this in an open world playstyle tends to lead to frequent map resets if I add too much map-related content and I really am trying to get to the point that everyone can keep their stuff...we'll see if I can come up with a final solution (or at least a set of instructions) that may make expanding on the city possible.

RustyXXL

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that was a quick answer. ^^

FPS is definitely been an issue with 1.7, but we posted some info back a page or so with instructions that may improve that for you.
Yeah, I have seen them, but didn't have the time to test them yet. I will try and report back.

You can disable nearly any mod you want (though I would suggest not disabling customnpcs or HQM of course) As for minimap, you can add one in, just disable opis if you do (i realize seeing mobs on the map is nice but it is actually an FPS hog) I just have it as it is a phenomenal tool to help monitor performance and the minimap is actually very good aside from not seeing mobs.
Opis is a great mod, and if it had ingame Waypoints I'd be using it. I just like being able to see where I'm going without having to open the map.

While I realize AE is out of place for the feel of the pack (admittedly, it is the one modset in there purely because I love it so much) mods like ender i/o are out of place for the overall feel but you are welcome to add it is if you wish.
AE never is out of place, as far as I'm concerned. ;)
I will then add EnderIO myself. I just like to being able to compact down the cableworks and have them really well hidden, though I didn't play with the 1.7 version yet.

Thank you very much. I did spend quite some time getting that map built (and it is actually the second rendition of it). I have been asked before, and it is always a possibility for a second town, but the difficult issue is that unlike skyblock maps which are finite, having this in an open world playstyle tends to lead to frequent map resets if I add too much map-related content and I really am trying to get to the point that everyone can keep their stuff...we'll see if I can come up with a final solution (or at least a set of instructions) that may make expanding on the city possible.
I never played around to much with it, but I think the Ruins mod allowed to add your own structures to it's spawnable structures. Maybe that would be an option to add new cities/buildings to random world gen, though they wouldn't be nearly as feature rich as your pre build one.
Another option would be to add a Spacial Storage chamber, if ae2 has them, so users could transfer stuff on their characters between worldresets. May not really fit to well to your vision of the map, but just listing it as an option, as Users could Store their stuff in a spacial storage disk, save their inventory with nei and then load it in the updated map. I used a similar method a couple of time in 1.6.4 to transfer stuff between worlds with normal storage drives (not the spatial ones).
Anyway, keep up the good work. :)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that was a quick answer. ^^

Opis is a great mod, and if it had ingame Waypoints I'd be using it. I just like being able to see where I'm going without having to open the map.

I never played around to much with it, but I think the Ruins mod allowed to add your own structures to it's spawnable structures. Maybe that would be an option to add new cities/buildings to random world gen, though they wouldn't be nearly as feature rich as your pre build one.
Another option would be to add a Spacial Storage chamber, if ae2 has them, so users could transfer stuff on their characters between worldresets. May not really fit to well to your vision of the map, but just listing it as an option, as Users could Store their stuff in a spacial storage disk, save their inventory with nei and then load it in the updated map. I used a similar method a couple of time in 1.6.4 to transfer stuff between worlds with normal storage drives (not the spatial ones).
Anyway, keep up the good work. :)
Well, opis does have waypoints and they will show up in the minimap if you have the category set, so while not visually in the game they are still somwhat visable while playing. If you right-click where your player is at it will auto select the coords as well.

Actually already have the ruins mod installed :) and you're right, not quite as good as a full blown city, but does add some variety.

As to resets, with it in beta right now, it is almost inevitable, BUT, I added a new mod called lockdown which will allow players to generate a new map if they wish with any new features that have been added, otherwise you will be able to stay on your current map.

That said, after this weeks update, if no one finds any map related issues we will finally be moving out of beta. What this means for everyone is that future updates your maps will not have to be reset as changes will be either with updated mods or with the quests available, both of which don't normally require resets. New players will be able to generate the new map and not have it overwritten on subsequent updates either. This is the first time I am using this mod, and preliminary tests show it to be extremely useful (Crash landing uses it and newer versions of agrarian skies too I believe). So here's hoping this is the solution we have been waiting for!

Oh, and ya, if I am not asleep or work I tend to respond fairly quickly to posts from you guys! :)

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so it looks like most likely is the artifacts mod has generated a tower and a potion it is placing in the dispenser is causing the crash. I had seen it once before but they had updated the mod since then (which is in the 2.0.6 update). Can you get back into the map or is it keeping you from getting back into the map?

Reported it to the mod dev either way

Thank ya! I was able to recover from it, fortunately. I made extra backups just in case when I was finishing flying around the base. ;) I hope Kitt was able to recover as well! Thanks for reporting it to the mod dev. For now I'll just avoid that area and hope I don't have another one generated when wandering til its fixed. :p

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Thank ya! I was able to recover from it, fortunately. I made extra backups just in case when I was finishing flying around the base. ;) I hope Kitt was able to recover as well! Thanks for reporting it to the mod dev. For now I'll just avoid that area and hope I don't have another one generated when wandering til its fixed. :p
Cool, for recovery did you use your backup or just re-log after the crash? If the latter, that means it was generated but only the initial generation was causing the crash which could be an important point.

Ok, point to test, it may have been alchemical bling causing the crash. Since that one won;t be world breaking, can anyone test by disabling it in the launcher and then run around their map trying to cause the crash again and report back?

Last edited:
Reactions: Garret Jax

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, for recovery did you use your backup or just re-log after the crash? If the latter, that means it was generated but only the initial generation was causing the crash which could be an important point.

Ok, point to test, it may have been alchemical bling causing the crash. Since that one won;t be world breaking, can anyone test by disabling it in the launcher and then run around their map trying to cause the crash again and report back?

I initially re-logged after the crash - had to do it twice but 2nd time it worked. When I accidentally re-triggered the crash, I had to go back to backup as the previous method of re-logging twice didn't work. So.. it can be problematic.

After my stream today I can try disabling it (after making a backup ;) ) and seeing if I can go to the previous crash location and avoid a crash. If someone else hasn't already done that, that is. :p

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Queens Quest line -- Found a spot the HQM gates blocked doing what needed done.
Using the skelly key on the lock behind the house towards the end of the chain -- i had to dig out the redstone cable and move to lock to be able to insert the key -- i could see hte lock but not interact with it to open the door

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Queens Quest line -- Found a spot the HQM gates blocked doing what needed done.
Using the skelly key on the lock behind the house towards the end of the chain -- i had to dig out the redstone cable and move to lock to be able to insert the key -- i could see hte lock but not interact with it to open the door
Aha! Wasn't just me though...those gates are buggers to test. You'll be happy to know I fixed that situation in the next update as I had actually ran across it myself in a recent test all the things spree a few days ago. Glad I wasn't just crazy.

Also made it so you could actually get in the door before it closed on you...lol

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion for those quest parts -- add some context on where to go next ; like finding the bottle add something in diary / quest book -- 'bla bla bla saw something near the base of the tower' etc --- the co-ordiants / distance thing doesn't really make clear -- took me 10 min to find the bottle part.
Rule of 3 from DMing many RPG games - - give the players 3 clues for each puzzle, as they'll probably overlook at least 2 of them, (and if my players are an example pick a fight with one or two clues, even inanimate objects ) and maybe catch the other. When your the guy who planned out the quest its easy to facepalm going 'how'd they miss that obvious clue' which was only obvious to you since your the one who laid it out.

Also noticed one toward the 2nd last boss -- the Book reads like you already fought and killed him before it gives you the ability to enter and fight him.