[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
GUIS... Do not attempt to make a ~21,000 block dome with a glass ceiling to house your reactor and AE2 network in.

And if you do do not do it on singleplayer...

And do not do it using an assortment of Ztone blocks...

Why did I do dis? Why?

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
GUIS... Do not attempt to make a ~21,000 block dome with a glass ceiling to house your reactor and AE2 network in.

And if you do do not do it on singleplayer...

And do not do it using an assortment of Ztone blocks...

Why did I do dis? Why?

Heh. I can relate partially - for the scale anyway, not the complexity. This is the first pack that I've actually created a large (25x25 x 4 floors) structure for most of my core work (power, AE, other tech, etc), and a separate 'normal sized' place as housing. I'm still working on it - just got the walls up on floor three, and the 'roof' will be dominated by a Forestry multifarm (Ethylene et al) with the corners eventually for Fluxed Crystals stuff.

@Caigan - I've started to properly progress into the various 'tech' trees that are available now, and realized how different the game plays with Mariculture and Railcraft removed. Its prompted some odd choices - such as my first powergen being a waterwheel from Immersive Engineering. Its holding up amazingly well. I'm now considering crafting a few thermo generators from that mod to power a BC quarry at a decent clip. Thank you, this has been quite a bit of fun so far.

I've also (again!) struck oil - twice - so was looking at the options for secondary RF production via Fuel. With the Railcraft steam boiler out of the picture (which is crazy efficient for Fuel, when used with TE's upgraded turbines), I've run the numbers and noticed that the IE diesel generator creates about the same amount of total RF per bucket as, say, an Ender IO combustion generator. The main difference is speed - IE's engine dumps it at 4K RF/t when the Ender IO one is 60 RF/t. There's advantages to the E-IO one of course - easy to make and move mostly - but I'm finding it interesting how well these two mods can work alongside each other.

For those wondering, I'm looking at ways or generating large amounts of RF (for ferret batteries) without resorting to big reactors or Mek Fusion.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Heh. I can relate partially - for the scale anyway, not the complexity. This is the first pack that I've actually created a large (25x25 x 4 floors) structure for most of my core work (power, AE, other tech, etc), and a separate 'normal sized' place as housing. I'm still working on it - just got the walls up on floor three, and the 'roof' will be dominated by a Forestry multifarm (Ethylene et al) with the corners eventually for Fluxed Crystals stuff.

@Caigan - I've started to properly progress into the various 'tech' trees that are available now, and realized how different the game plays with Mariculture and Railcraft removed. Its prompted some odd choices - such as my first powergen being a waterwheel from Immersive Engineering. Its holding up amazingly well. I'm now considering crafting a few thermo generators from that mod to power a BC quarry at a decent clip. Thank you, this has been quite a bit of fun so far.

I've also (again!) struck oil - twice - so was looking at the options for secondary RF production via Fuel. With the Railcraft steam boiler out of the picture (which is crazy efficient for Fuel, when used with TE's upgraded turbines), I've run the numbers and noticed that the IE diesel generator creates about the same amount of total RF per bucket as, say, an Ender IO combustion generator. The main difference is speed - IE's engine dumps it at 4K RF/t when the Ender IO one is 60 RF/t. There's advantages to the E-IO one of course - easy to make and move mostly - but I'm finding it interesting how well these two mods can work alongside each other.

For those wondering, I'm looking at ways or generating large amounts of RF (for ferret batteries) without resorting to big reactors or Mek Fusion.
large amount of rf but cant use mek fusion or big reactors for this pack one of the good choices is probably look into exu generators specfically the x8 and x64 ones

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
All of a sudden my Minecraft Ferret Business single player server will freeze every ~10-15 seconds for 3-4 seconds (stuttering). Anything I can do to stop this?

I installed Optifine and increased RAM from 4gig to 4.5gig (I have 16) and this helped a little bit but it still happens...

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
large amount of rf but cant use mek fusion or big reactors for this pack one of the good choices is probably look into exu generators specfically the x8 and x64 ones
Valid point. I should have probably added that this is being done semi-RP, from the perspective of an Eve Online industrial-oriented capsuleer (player). So aspects of Extra Utilities are being rejected both from a 'magic' standpoint and a 'ROI' standpoint.

That makes the focus mostly on Ender IO (machines, pipes are being evaluated), Mekansim, Immersive Engeneering, Forestry, Buildcraft, etc - mods that at least have some semblance of his (slightly warped - this IS an Eve character after all) reality.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
All of a sudden my Minecraft Ferret Business single player server will freeze every ~10-15 seconds for 3-4 seconds (stuttering). Anything I can do to stop this?
Hm, earlier in the thread I linked to a fork of OPIS. I'm a bit busy right now and can't dig it up for you, but it works on newer Forge builds, and can help track down causes of lag like this.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

The little surprise I mentioned to happen yesterday was slightly delayed due to a few issues, like the FTB forums exploding yesterday. But I can announce it now :

The Ferret Business is this month's FTB Featured Modpack of the Month! Read the FTB Newsletter Here!

This also changes the pack from Unlisted to Default Listed. It is now obtainable on both Curse and FTB Launchers without requiring a pack code! (When I have time, I will update the main post)

Welcome all test subjects ferrets, new and old.

Please pardon the dust as well. The pack is ever evolving and still, technically, only halfway through development. Right now some major systems are being updated from their 'placeholder' status, such as Contracts and Supply Order systems.

It is also, technically, my birthday, not to mention today and tomorrow are very very busy RL for me due to planning and scheduling a major surgery. I will be around as much as I can to help answer questions and chat, as per usual.

Please, feel free to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and discuss things. As is apparent if you go through this thread, I have a big set of ideas and visions, but many things I'm willing to hear and debate and discuss on.

All in all, be cool to each other, and I hope you have fun!

Last edited:

logdogzip

Jul 29, 2019
New mods I have been testing while doing this have shown no issues : Matter Overdrive, Grimoire of Gaia, and NuclearCraft. The only one currently for sure being added in the next update is GoG, with MO being very likely, and NuclearCraft being 50/50 right now.
I think you'll like the sound of this: NuclearCraft has just been updated again (version 1.6e), and as well as adding some extra stuff and fixing some bugs, there is an awesome new config option which can disable the 5x5 crafting table it adds, and enable vanilla 3x3 crafting recipes for all of the things in the mod. This is awesome for pack makers, as it allows these blocks/items/machines to be autocrafted, allows them to be made easily with AE2, and allows the recipes to be edited via MineTweaker. It was a popular request, so it was added. The next update (and final one for 1.7.10) is going to add particle accelerators and big enhancements to the fission and fusion reactors in the mod, which promises to be epic.

Rethala

Jul 29, 2019
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
(snip'd)
"Good news, everyone! I have invented a new machine which makes you read this message in MY voice!"
That's the first thing I thought when I saw this, no joke. ^_^

It is also, technically, my birthday, not to mention today and tomorrow are very very busy RL for me due to planning and scheduling a major surgery. I will be around as much as I can to help answer questions and chat, as per usual.
Also, many happy returns! May your days be long upon the earth, and your shadow ever reach up to meet you, my friend. Have an awesome birthday, and I pray that your surgery goes so smoothly that you don't even know it happened, before, during, and after. ^__^

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

The little surprise I mentioned to happen yesterday was slightly delayed due to a few issues, like the FTB forums exploding yesterday. But I can announce it now :

The Ferret Business is this month's FTB Featured Modpack of the Month! Read the FTB Newsletter Here!

This also changes the pack from Unlisted to Default Listed. It is now obtainable on both Curse and FTB Launchers without requiring a pack code! (When I have time, I will update the main post)

Welcome all test subjects ferrets, new and old.

Please pardon the dust as well. The pack is ever evolving and still, technically, only halfway through development. Right now some major systems are being updated from their 'placeholder' status, such as Contracts and Supply Order systems.

Please, feel free to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and discuss things. As is apparent if you go through this thread, I have a big set of ideas and visions, but many things I'm willing to hear and debate and discuss on.

All in all, be cool to each other, and I hope you have fun!

I'M FINALLY A HIPSTER!

I liked The Ferret Business before it was cool!

... I have to wear actual glasses for vision impairment but I'll wear another IRONIC pair of lensless glasses over the top of those!

PS - Caigan this means you need to update the pack every day now *cracks whip*.

F

Fightress

Would be totally awesome if you could tame and have pet ferrets (and/or pet rats) in this modpack too, i am already downloading it but that would be an ultimate clincher right there haha

C

crazyeyes98

A bunch of "Invalid Item 4696"s for quest rewards, not sure if it's supposed to be like this but it's probably not. Would like this to be fixed or told how to fix it.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
A bunch of "Invalid Item 4696"s for quest rewards, not sure if it's supposed to be like this but it's probably not. Would like this to be fixed or told how to fix it.
the login message addresses that, in short its the result of a mod being removed at the last minute and the ithem u were supposed to get represents chainmail armor ( if u have cheats enabled u can spawn in a set of chain mail armor to replace the invalid ithems since thats what u used to get in prior versions)

Arcadious

Jul 29, 2019
Is this how the pack is supposed to look? It seems to be having issues.

pic2924914_lg.png

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
I have a message on login for all players that notes bugs like this, starts with "CEO MESSAGE".

All it is is leather/chainmail equivalent armor, from a mod I had to remove at the last minute.

Is this how the pack is supposed to look? It seems to be having issues.
No...definitely not supposed to look like that.

You'll want to bump your allocated memory to 3 or 4 gigs at least, 2 is probably a bit too low for this pack. As well, make sure you are using the latest version of Java.

FTB Launcher options panel will let you change Memory allocation there, while in the Curse launcher, at the right side next to your Curse name is a gear icon. Click it and then Settings in the dropdown, and the Minecraft tab will have the Memory option.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Would be totally awesome if you could tame and have pet ferrets (and/or pet rats) in this modpack too, i am already downloading it but that would be an ultimate clincher right there haha
This is something I'd like too, but not really found a mod that has one at all, sadly. It's an idea for my partner, but it'd be lower on the list of things to code for us unfortunately.