[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Found a problem with the Thaumcraft Questline: Got all the way to the "Advanced Golemancy" quest line. Step #2 "Advanced Golems" will not detect my Advanced Thaumium Golem. Not even manual detect.

Looks like I have taken the quest line as far as I can take it at this point till this is fixed.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Boots of the Meteor Quest in the Thaumcraft Questline. . . the question description appears incomplete. "If you crouch again while in" and it stops there.
Oops, noted down to fix.

How are the new quests coming? I'm eagerly awaiting meeting some new quests :).
Second half of the Balance update will probably only have a few short questlines. Major questlines take a lot of work, and that work is being focused on rebalancing things.

Ok. . . this gives me an idea for a suggestion for this modpack:
Challenges is an idea I was considering for a bit. Might need to revisit the ideas behind it.

world gen flaw for the configuration of extra utilities
Mekanism does have its share of issues, but most mods in the pack do in one way or another.

But this IS something I forgot to do, I completely forgot about the deep dark when considering Draconium Ore generation.

What would be the quickest way to do this without destroying the resources?
Or BC had a block for it.. it was either Filler or Builder..
The Filler, at one point, would just drop everything it broke, which was quickly changed/fixed as it worked super fast.

Your best bet is either, as stated, a TiCo Hammer and Lumberaxe wth Redstone, or break out a CC Turtle with the appropriate level tools, and find a mining program you can set the coordinates on and has a 'home' location to deposit items.

Found a problem with the Thaumcraft Questline: Got all the way to the "Advanced Golemancy" quest line. Step #2 "Advanced Golems" will not detect my Advanced Thaumium Golem. Not even manual detect.
Dangit, I knew this one would give me trouble. I even tested it twice. =T Added to examine.

What you can do is do /hqm edit playername, and use the Edit Book to automatically finish that quest for yourself if you'd like to continue the questline.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
The Filler, at one point, would just drop everything it broke, which was quickly changed/fixed as it worked super fast.

Your best bet is either, as stated, a TiCo Hammer and Lumberaxe wth Redstone, or break out a CC Turtle with the appropriate level tools, and find a mining program you can set the coordinates on and has a 'home' location to deposit items.
Actually, the filler was changed because it would drop everything it broke, making it effectively a cheap quarry. It takes less resources to make and less power to run than a quarry, and it was really just made for quick building/clearing terrain, not for mining. Though it may still be a config option, so you could just toggle that in the configs and use a filler for that purpose. Though I'd make a backup before doing any sort of demolitions work.

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Dangit, I knew this one would give me trouble. I even tested it twice. =T Added to examine.

What you can do is do /hqm edit playername, and use the Edit Book to automatically finish that quest for yourself if you'd like to continue the questline.

Not many problems with the quest line. Really enjoyed it. Definitely a lot of thought and work went into making it. Thanks!

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the filler was changed because it would drop everything it broke, making it effectively a cheap quarry. It takes less resources to make and less power to run than a quarry, and it was really just made for quick building/clearing terrain, not for mining. Though it may still be a config option, so you could just toggle that in the configs and use a filler for that purpose. Though I'd make a backup before doing any sort of demolitions work.
That's what I meant, but worded it badly x3. Yeah, it turned into a super cheap, fast quarry.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
I have a lot of cobblestone and wooden plank buildings (100s of blocks worth, maybe 1000s, both of which you can't use vein miner for) and I want to knock it all down and start again (unhappy with the layout plus some of the machines/pipes are laggy). What would be the quickest way to do this without destroying the resources?

Ideally I don't want to be pickaxing and chopping 1000s of blocks by hand :(.
it just hit me what would work very well if u just want to harvest all the woodplanks and cobblestone , say hi to the digital miner it can be instructed to harvest all the woodplanks and cobblestone in an area , use the ithem stack filters in its interface and set 1 to cobblestone and 1 to the woodplanks used (u just need the item your setting the filter to on hand in order to set up the filter properly (do not touch the i in the config screens u will cause a mess if u don't know what your doing with it) it needs power to run this is a simple thing though because it accepts rf(and also eu if u have that setup)as a power source , u will need something to collect(the miner does have autoeject) and something to store the items the miner picks up

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, I'm doing an early tally on the survey results, to get a general idea of how things lay. (It won't be closed for a while longer, don't worry!)

Apparently, anything decorative based that ISN'T Chisel is showing up a lot in the 'least favorite'. Which kinda confuses me?

I'm talking about Z-Tones, Tails, Armourer's Workshop, and Decocraft 2 pretty much.

Very odd, to me.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Right now, I'm doing an early tally on the survey results, to get a general idea of how things lay. (It won't be closed for a while longer, don't worry!)

Apparently, anything decorative based that ISN'T Chisel is showing up a lot in the 'least favorite'. Which kinda confuses me?

I'm talking about Z-Tones, Tails, Armourer's Workshop, and Decocraft 2 pretty much.

Very odd, to me.
as far as i can tell chisel has a good rep from being in some main ftb packs and the fact that the chisel can do some functional things to is a nice touch (chisel quite clear glass from normal glass is a plus same with making soul glass from normal glass esctra) . making cobblestone look more fancy with a few flicks with a chisel also nice
decocraft i think only did not make the my least favorite list because of the shipments(so hqm saved it in my book) u can send in for coins , that love eating full barrels of clay and the actual creation of the decocraft items cant be automated so yay click feast (even with servos moving stuff around )

Last edited:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Oh, I thought I had enabled old style crafting as well, hmmm.
if u did i have not seen it yet , have not touched decocraft since update with any real thought,

though i remember having 2 farms producing the vanilla components (agricraft is lovely for mass dye production) the other was vanilla clay balls , the only automatic crafting clay production i have is from a stabilized spawner that im scared to truely unhinge the player req requirement on(I could not think of a better way to get souls so thats what the spawner is there for primary)

Mostly the reason i mention what i used for decocraft crates is more out of curiosity for what other players did for them.

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019

Very odd, to me.

I know tails is a huge part of the pack because it's based around being a ferret but I'm really not that into that side of the modpack...

That's just me though.

I like the questing and the shop.

An0nymuS

Jul 29, 2019

Very odd, to me.

I'm speaking for myself here, but I am very functionality/efficiency-oriented; my... "artistic" side, especially in regards to visually appealing stuff, is almost non-existent. As mentioned by @Everlasting2 Chisel brings some functionality for quick switching between some forms of the blocks. For my "base", I usually only dig a series of holes in a cave to house everything I need; I've tried making fancy bases, but any attempt at building something nice above ground only resulted in huge platforms on 2 or 3 levels and that's it. :D

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
INITIAL SURVEY SUMMARY PART 1

I'm going to spit this breakdown into multiple posts, cause its a lot of data to go over. The survey will continue till Monday, but I'd like to get discussions going for some things already, as there are over SIXTY responses! Note that I tend not to give exact numbers on things as a personal preference, as there's a lot of nuance in why something was chosen (as you'll see in my explanations)
---------------
THE FAVORED FIVE
  • Agricraft
  • Applied Energistics
  • Botania
  • Mekanism
  • Thaumcraft
  • Botania
It's interesting to note that these are, of course, some of the most popular mods out right now as well.
Runners up include : Ferret Shinies, Tinker's Construct, HQM, and Immersive Engineering.

THE SADDEST SIX
  • Armourer's Workshop
  • Aura Cascade
  • Decocraft 2
  • Industrial Craft 2
  • Morph
  • Tails
This section is a bit odder in the results.

Armourer's Workshop, Decocraft 2, and Tails had a bunch of votes for Favored as well as Least Favorite. The general consensus for these three mods from those who filled out the optional question is : We aren't really into Aesthetics mods much. This includes folks who listed Z-Tones (very few) as their least favorite.

Morph is always one of those mods that is decently controversial between usefulness and over poweredness, but like the aesthetics mods, it had a lot of favored votes as well. Aura Cascade itself is likewise liked AND disliked, and the general comments on it are it being complex and having almost no tutorials on it to guide players. I can only do so much via text, after all, so I totally understand that.

Industrial Craft 2...we'll cover that at the end of this first section.

Runners up in this section include : Warp Book, Progressive Automation, and Forestry

THE FORGOTTEN FEW

• Armourer's Workshop
  • Aura Cascade
  • Computercraft
  • Industrial Craft 2
  • Open Computers
  • Progressive Automation
  • Tails
  • Toolbox
Tails and Armourer's Workshop we've already discussed, and the general consensus is similar here : Aesthetics mods aren't that interesting to us/serve no purpose for us.

Like Aura Cascade, generally what I"m seeing with Computer Craft and Open Computers is 'its complex and not really my thing' in the comments. For CC and OC, this definitely makes sense, though unlike Aura Cascade there are tons of resources online for using them. These two also had a handful of positive votes for them, and not a lot of 'least liked' votes.

As for Progressive Automation, the overall consensus is 'it's not as useful for what it does'. Multiple other mods have similar blocks/tools around that level, that have more function to them. This mod almost made the list of 'least favored', as well as getting NO 'favored' votes.

Toolbox...was very much like Progressive Automation : no 'favored', almost 'not favored', and lots of 'I don't play with this mod'.

Industrial Craft...well....later on this.

THE ONE BULLET LIST
  • Aura Cascade
  • Industrial Craft 2
  • Mine Menu
  • Morph
  • Progressive Automation
  • Thaumcraft
  • Toolbox
So, I gave an option that was basically "If you could choose one mod to remove, what would it be?"

Many many options aside from these had single votes. Everything in the list there had 2 or more though.

Mine Menu and Toolbox were chosen as they did 'very little for me, and aren't that useful'

Morph, as before, due to its overpoweredness.

Aura Cascade due to its complexity and lack of good documentation.

Progressive Automation due to its lack of usefulness for equivilant 'tier' machines from other mods.

Thaumcraft, the general dislike for this mod is partially that it is 'overdone' and 'shoehorned into most packs', and partially that it 'changes the world in a way that is unfavorable to me'.

And then there is Industrial Craft....

ONE OF THE OLD GUARD

Industrial Craft is one of those mods that has been around a long time, and has been a staple in many packs over the years. It was one of the Go To tech mods of its age, and one that helped inspire other mods.

Mods like Buildcraft, Forestry, Thaumcraft, etc have been around a long time as well, others of what I call the 'old guard' of minecraft modding.

Most of these mods have updated to the times. RF Support, some changes in how mechanics work (multiblock structures, changes to how piping works, etc), etc. Many of these changes have been great...but generally, not as well received from Industrial Craft.

The changes to mechanics in IC2 were just not as well taken by the community : the idea that more crafting steps = more complexity for the same item, continuing to use their power system while changing it in unfavorable ways (they did get rid of machine exploding, at least), and as an overall, the 'newer' exp builds of the mod feeling still feeling somewhat incomplete.

IC2 is still a great mod, despite these issues. It still does a lot of things decently, and it is fairly interesting.

Unfortunately, this mod got only a SINGLE vote for 'most liked'.
It was the second most"Least Liked" mods, only being outvoted by Armourer's Workshop.
It was one of the highest voted "Not Played" mods, only Armourer's Workshop, ComputerCraft, and Open Computers getting WAY more votes.
It was the highest voted "Remove This" mod, having more votes than 2nd and 3rd place...combined.

Given this info, we will probably be saying goodbye to IC2 and Compact Solar Arrays in the next update.

WHAT OF PROGRESSIVE AUTOMATION?

I'm hesitant to get rid of a mod I've already done a quest chain for...but given that it had ZERO votes for 'most liked', was a runner up in the 'least liked' catagory, made the 'least played' catagory and also made the list of "Please Remove" as well.

There's a good chance this one will be removed as well.

Reactions: An0nymuS

Th3Ch053n0n3

Jul 29, 2019
I'm speaking for myself here, but I am very functionality/efficiency-oriented; my... "artistic" side, especially in regards to visually appealing stuff, is almost non-existent. As mentioned by @Everlasting2 Chisel brings some functionality for quick switching between some forms of the blocks. For my "base", I usually only dig a series of holes in a cave to house everything I need; I've tried making fancy bases, but any attempt at building something nice above ground only resulted in huge platforms on 2 or 3 levels and that's it. :D

Same here, but I at least try and make it NEAT. I don't usually start from a cave, but if I run into one, I tend to incorporate it into my design.

As for the removals, IC2 has been long overdue for removal from MOST packs, and it seems like it only makes it in because it is, as you put it, one of the old guard. Progressive Automation is....useful early game, but gets quickly outgrown. I suspect that in packs that go for that "almost vanilla" feel, PA will thrive, but in heavily modded packs such as this, it just gets outshined by the more useful MFR, TE, and many others.

Last edited:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Morph, as before, due to its overpoweredness.
i blame the "overpoweredness" feel of it in this pack on the mobs and the world becoming far more nice compared to older pack versions , there is no more powerful mobs roaming the world there is just sequestered bosses in their lairs , there are no mobs spawning that are commonly significantly more dangerous then there normal ones (there is 1 thaumcraft champion variant i find truely more dangerous ) the feel without lycanites and infernal mobs leaves the world feeling far more polite .
What happend to it being a dangerous world ? its just as dangerous as infinity after ender zoo got basicaly disabled this is also ignoring the newer parts of tinkers construct gear.
Also project zulu barely helps with returning the diffculty unless u go into one of its dungeons

op is reletive to its surroundings in the mod set .
Even without the abilites i would still use it because absolutely nothing works better for fitting between cables and 1 block high maintenance tunnels

Reactions: An0nymuS

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I personally miss lycanite's mobs in this pack. The world went from thrillingly dangerous to a walk in the park in an unsavory part of town. In our world, I haven't even made armor yet because there's basically no threat. I can survive just fine with no armor and an iron longsword. What's more, lycanites made the world seem a lot more alien. It felt like another world with alien fauna. It was immersive and really cool. Now, especially with zulu, it feels very terrestrial. Familiar. Boring. Lycanite's really made the story come to life. When I first tried this pack, I was in love with it because I was terrified. I'd look out into the ocean and watch in horror as this eldritch abomination rises up from the depths. It was the first time in a long time that I had actually been afraid of a monster in minecraft and it was amazing.

Reactions: Everlasting2

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I really dislike about progressive automation is that it's not sustainable... The tools you put in the machines eventually break and need replacing... I end up feeling like why not just chop the trees down myself instead of set up a temporary system?

A couple of side-notes for feedback:

Immersive Engineering is generating its own versions of copper, silver and other ores that don't combine with the rest of the ore-gen.

Morph is most definitely overpowered... I use it because I can but seriously... Blaze mode is just crazy overpowered... Flight, superspeed and no fall damage for the win.

No Railcraft makes me sad... Is there a reason for this? It's a great mod. I really, really miss things like the multiblock tanks.

Silver ore is way too common and gold ore is way too rare... Silver should be rarer and gold more common... At the moment gold is rarer than diamonds it seems. I don't think I've seen one emerald?

Also I don't think I've seen any squids floating around... Is there a reason for this?

Last edited:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
One thing I really dislike about progressive automation is that it's not sustainable... The tools you put in the machines eventually break and need replacing... I end up feeling like why not just chop the trees down myself instead of set up a temporary system
At the moment gold is rarer than diamonds it seems.
yes thats part of the beef i have with that mod . the gold being rare is a pack config cofh is specifically told to have it rarer then normal it used to be even rarer

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
yes thats part of the beef i have with that mod . the gold being rare is a pack config cofh is specifically told to have it rarer then normal it used to be even rarer

Unfortunately almost all machinery uses it.

I finally made it to x4 ore processing in mekanism so it is a little bit less of a bottleneck now thankfully.

PS - Electrolytic separators are horribly thirsty... 1600RF per tick... :eek: