[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

A

Absydian

I don't get why ex nihlo is in this pack. Are people really standing over sieves all day hoping to get the masses of kaolite and or graphite they need for the blast furnace? Ex nihlo is a sky block mod, if I wanted to be bored to tears, I'd go play a sky block pack. It took me 5 hours of exploring just to find the right rock type for graphite and even then I broke a full bronze pro-pick before I found a vein of the stuff. But hey, it was better than sitting at a sieve holding a mouse button down, and the TFC style of mining is at least a refreshing change from the vanilla approach that I've gotten used to. Besides expecting people to rely on sieves in a pack without autonomous activators is just sadistic. :p

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why ex nihlo is in this pack. Are people really standing over sieves all day hoping to get the masses of kaolite and or graphite they need for the blast furnace? Ex nihlo is a sky block mod, if I wanted to be bored to tears, I'd go play a sky block pack. It took me 5 hours of exploring just to find the right rock type for graphite and even then I broke a full bronze pro-pick before I found a vein of the stuff. But hey, it was better than sitting at a sieve holding a mouse button down, and the TFC style of mining is at least a refreshing change from the vanilla approach that I've gotten used to. Besides expecting people to rely on sieves in a pack without autonomous activators is just sadistic. :p

I would say it is in here to give us options. Plus it gives you an easy way to get blaze powder or redstone.. And don't forget tea pots.

Reactions: OneWolfe

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Besides expecting people to rely on sieves in a pack without autonomous activators is just sadistic. :p

Sadistic! I like that word. Thanks, I will have to use it more often :D

The sieve is definitely NOT required at all, its simply an alternative. I wanted to change the output of the TFC Sluice but its just not an option but the sieve definitely is, so I decided to use it instead. There is nothing in the sieve that you cant get through regular mining in order to progress. Its mostly just random junk anyways ;)

Tat45

Jul 29, 2019

5 hours is extremely short. I've searched for a good 30 hours and not found any.

The sieve is used because even at a 3% drop rate, you're at least guaranteed that you will get *some* Kaolinite and Graphite, and those two things are the major blockers to progress up the tech chain. They're what stand between you and steel, which is needed for most things, it seems.

One day I would like to see a comprehensive written guide for how to climb the tech tree. For now I'm relying on the quest book.

Reactions: RehabOholic

Danjal

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why ex nihlo is in this pack.
In the TFC Tuesdays series OneWolfe mentioned the primary reason he included it was the silkworms.
Because the Archimedes Ships require such a large amount of cloth, this would be a reliable way to obtain string which can be turned into cloth for the airships.

The sieves happen to be a nice alternate way for people to get certain ores or materials at a low but ultimately guaranteed rate.
TFC world gen can be fickle and its not unheard of to be stuck in progression just because you can't find some material.
However its clear from your post that you have a certain expectation when it comes to Ex Nihilo - which is that it *HAS TO* be automated for maximum gain.
Which is obviously not something that this pack intends. (Though it could be neat if some clockwork shaker got added as a slow alternative to the Autonomous Activator. I don't know how hard that would be.)

Suffice it to say that based on reasons given, the sieve is not the reason Ex Nihilo is in the pack - the sieve is just a bonus for people that are stuck.
Since TFC offers large veins and the pack is primarily build around exploration, this would be the 'intended' route of progression. It just offers alternatives.

-

Personally I think that the sieve being there and the coins and other tidbits it generates opens up some alternate options aswell.
Though its entirely up to OneWolfe whether he intends to make use of those through HQM or some other mod that deals with trade.

MonkeyTown551

Jul 29, 2019
I used the sieve to get that last Graphite that I needed and couldn't find. Took 3-4 stacks of gravel, and finally got it. This was to get my first crucible and finally move up.

After that, I haven't used the sieve. The hardest ore to find was the graphite for myself, but when I finally found it, I ended up with 6 stacks from that one find.

Last night, I was looking for cherts to make some lanterns. Traveled about 2000 blocks from home, on the way there I found a gold ore deposit inside a cave, an iron deposit on the side of the mountain. Tagged them in Journey Map to come back later for those ores. Also picked up about 2 stacks of small copper from the floor. Found a forest that had Ash, Chestnut and White Cedar growing together that I'll come back later for their saplings. And finally got the cherts that I originally came for. I traveled a different route back home to uncover more of the world.

This is all I did for 3 or so hours of play last night. Travel 2k blocks, get cherts, tag several locations for later, get back to base. Made 12 lanterns. Didn't place them yet, because my NEI mob overlay doesn't work, even with rebinding the keys... so I'll do that later tonight.

L

Lil Zombie

wanted to report something again :)

Just tested the random things items - the spectre key seemed interesting and is very easy to craft - but once i returned from the spirit dimension a) my experience was all gone
and b) the 3x3 crafting grid also reset to a 2x2 and i was unable to unlock it again to a 3x3

Instantly loaded the save i luckily made just before that so i do not know what else that may have corrupted.

This cannot be intended, is it? :)

Greetings to all !

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
wanted to report something again :)

Just tested the random things items - the spectre key seemed interesting and is very easy to craft - but once i returned from the spirit dimension a) my experience was all gone
and b) the 3x3 crafting grid also reset to a 2x2 and i was unable to unlock it again to a 3x3

Instantly loaded the save i luckily made just before that so i do not know what else that may have corrupted.

This cannot be intended, is it? :)

Greetings to all !

Unfortunately anything dealing with other dimensions is still very buggy in TFC. I should probably just go ahead and disable that key :(

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
In the TFC Tuesdays series OneWolfe mentioned the primary reason he included it was the silkworms.
Because the Archimedes Ships require such a large amount of cloth, this would be a reliable way to obtain string which can be turned into cloth for the airships.

If I said that it mush have been a very long time ago, because we soon found that the Silk Worms just do not work very well with TFC trees. I think you can still get some silk out of it but its very minimal and just not worth the worms :p

The silk worms however should work just fine with the trees breed through forestry, tho I have not seriously tested them recently. Might want to try that next Tuesday and see what happens.

I had also hoped to be able to utilize many of the other features from Ex-Nihilo but unfortunately they only produce vanilla items. The barrels can be changed to accept TFC saplings or any other items, but only produces vanilla dirt, and the same goes with the cauldron, it only makes vanilla lava. So I am just not able to use them at this time :(

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
Figured I'd take a boat ride across an ocean last night, in hopes of finding a cassiterite (sp?) mine closer to my base. Found a submerged submarine built of stone... Helpful ladder blocking the water from entering. Got mobbed (ha!) at the bottom from a load of zombies before I could climb back out.

I want my stuff back... Figured I probably don't have the gumption to clear the sub, but I want my stuff. I figure I'll hit up that distant mine, stock up on some easy tin, then make a full set of bronze armor and sword. Shouldn't take long to grab a stack of lumber or two, as well as ladders.

I'll boat back out, then hack the ladders off as I enter, swimming back up for air as needed. Once I hit the last ladder, the flow of water in should knock the zombies back and slow them down. I'm hoping that'll give me the chance to get a barrier up to keep the mobs at bay and remove the spawners. Then I can clear the grave and get my stuff back.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Figured I'd take a boat ride across an ocean last night, in hopes of finding a cassiterite (sp?) mine closer to my base. Found a submerged submarine built of stone... Helpful ladder blocking the water from entering. Got mobbed (ha!) at the bottom from a load of zombies before I could climb back out.

I want my stuff back... Figured I probably don't have the gumption to clear the sub, but I want my stuff. I figure I'll hit up that distant mine, stock up on some easy tin, then make a full set of bronze armor and sword. Shouldn't take long to grab a stack of lumber or two, as well as ladders.

I'll boat back out, then hack the ladders off as I enter, swimming back up for air as needed. Once I hit the last ladder, the flow of water in should knock the zombies back and slow them down. I'm hoping that'll give me the chance to get a barrier up to keep the mobs at bay and remove the spawners. Then I can clear the grave and get my stuff back.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Rushing the subs seems to be a good tactic, but opening up a water flow might work too :D

Here is a video of a successful sub run.

Danjal

Jul 29, 2019
If I said that it mush have been a very long time ago, because we soon found that the Silk Worms just do not work very well with TFC trees. I think you can still get some silk out of it but its very minimal and just not worth the worms :p

The silk worms however should work just fine with the trees breed through forestry, tho I have not seriously tested them recently. Might want to try that next Tuesday and see what happens.

I had also hoped to be able to utilize many of the other features from Ex-Nihilo but unfortunately they only produce vanilla items. The barrels can be changed to accept TFC saplings or any other items, but only produces vanilla dirt, and the same goes with the cauldron, it only makes vanilla lava. So I am just not able to use them at this time :(
Like I said - the original reason you mentioned putting it in was that.
It wasn't originally put in for any ore-gathering reasoning.

And you're right that Forestry trees should work just fine considering that their leaves would have to remain unchanged to work at all.
Which it seems they do when I saw your tour video. (Atleast the 'base tree variants' should work?)

Reactions: OneWolfe

Beavelguy

Jul 29, 2019
Right OK I need some help >< Does anyone know what this thing is, stuck on my head? And more to the point, how to make it go away ^^ Nobody warned me there were drop bears in this pack ><

L

Lil Zombie

Unfortunately anything dealing with other dimensions is still very buggy in TFC. I should probably just go ahead and disable that key :(

I think this doesn´t fit in the pack anyway - it´s steampunk, right - so no magic or other dimensions from my point of view - more is not almays better :)

Humm, i also tried the new quest "forgotten mysteries" - i made that barrel of witch water, now what do i do with it? Having it in the inventory doesn´t help?

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
I think this doesn´t fit in the pack anyway - it´s steampunk, right - so no magic or other dimensions from my point of view - more is not almays better :)

Humm, i also tried the new quest "forgotten mysteries" - i made that barrel of witch water, now what do i do with it? Having it in the inventory doesn´t help?

Steampunk doesn't mean no magic. Many steampunk games/books are a mix of magic and crazy contraption technology. I would say it doesn't fit the theme of this pack as the only magic that is really here is necromancy, and it could be argued that it is more of the scientific Frankenstein accomplishment than a magical accomplishment.

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
Right OK I need some help >< Does anyone know what this thing is, stuck on my head? And more to the point, how to make it go away ^^ Nobody warned me there were drop bears in this pack ><

It's a deer. go find the offender and kill it with fire. Not sure how to fix it either. Some say it is the hat mod, but removing the hat mod doesn't fix it.

Reactions: Beavelguy

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone actually killed a hydra? I was testing a few thing in a test world and I came across a hydra spawner, so I decided to let it spawn and lets just say from what I can tell.."I could NOT find anything in this game that didn't take Forever to kill it"! I gave up after almost 30 min of hitting it with the strongest weapons that I could fined. I can say one thing for sure.. I will not be messing with one in my game! Something tells me the the other bosses have been boosted in an insane way.lol

M

mamidd

I guys i have some problema with the moldavi. I'm using Verizon 1.0.97
I have some railcraft ingots. Hai can i convert them in tfc ones?
Besides i would craft foundry of the cogs machine mod. How can?