[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no i wasn't asking for beacons from cobble or anything like that lol. In fact, i tend to find the pack a tad more challenging without the hostile mobs. Try building an airship with nothing but string from cobwebs XD.

The way the pack sits currently hostile mob wise, it not really meant for SSP. Especially with HQM defaulting to hardcore mode, you could have your world deleted in the first 10 min. I know the TFC Tuesday crew even have a hard time with the mobs sometimes, and there's like 10 of them on that server (getting run up on by McLaud and 1 shot? yeah noty) and they aren't running hardcore (ian with 100+ deaths...)

Plain and simple, you assembled a great collection of mods in this pack, and you've done a great job getting them all to play nice. I know your vision of the pack is suppose to be a "post apocalyptic wasteland" kinda deal. However, not even Crash Landing was this difficult in the hostile mob sense. I think lycanites + infernal is a little overkill, but again, just my opinion. But i'm very satisfied with the difficulty of certain recipes.

So when you say you won't make available any recipes that should only be available through mob drops, do you mean standard drops (string, gunpowder, rotten flesh, etc) or do you mean there will be certain items you'll require for your crafting recipes that can only be obtained from mobs?

Also... stone gears... whats the deal with that? lol

As stated, I am not going to provide support for Passive or Creative players as I cannot control several severe game breaking issues that can occur in those modes. But I cannot stop people from playing in those modes, or changing configs and recipes to suit their own play styles. Just be careful that there are things that can be done in creative that WILL permanently corrupt your game!

Reactions: theluckyone17

Lhamabomb

Jul 29, 2019
As stated, I am not going to provide support for Passive or Creative players as I cannot control several severe game breaking issues that can occur in those modes. But I cannot stop people from playing in those modes, or changing configs and recipes to suit their own play styles. Just be careful that there are things that can be done in creative that WILL permanently corrupt your game!

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not asking for support. I'm asking if you are going to specifically shun peaceful mode players by putting in recipe gates that require mob drops from loot tables you implement. That's all.

Never said i'm playing creative, cause that's just plain cheating imo. But peaceful is just how it's named. Peaceful... Some players just enjoy building in survival mode without the constant stress/aggravation of ridiculously over powered hordes of mobs. If you look down on a player because of that... well i'm sorry, but that's how i enjoy to play.

And like i said before, i really enjoy your modpack and appreciate all the work you've put into it to make everything work. The recipes are challenging, and coupled with the base mechanics of TFC, it makes for some very good game play, no matter the game difficulty setting.

And stone gears? i'm genuinely curious about this. You obviously intend for them to be used in crafting, but there's no recipe for them. i'm putting this in bold because i've asked about 5 times now and it's keeps getting lost amongst the rest of my post.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 should be on the launcher now :D

Here is a short change log:
Added Archimedes Balloons to TFC Loom
Vanilla Hardened Clay and TFCStuff Hardened Clay can be swapped in the crafting grid
Added small change of glowstone dropping from Fireflys
Steamcraft2 Flesh Blocks require 9 rotten flesh instead of 4
Added small change of ores dropping from Mountain Trolls
Increased Flaxbeard's firearm damage values
ARC furnace now requires Black Steel in one of its components
TFC sand and powdered obsidian can be melted into liquid glass in the Thermionic Fabricator
Abysal Stone now has a lower baking temperature and turns to black stained glass at a broader range above the stone
Increased vein sizes for Native Copper ore
Fixed Typewriter recipe to use any metal trap door
Increased Giant Miner's walking/running speeds
Increased rates that Witches will drop Cursing Spirits
Fixed Tropical and Marshy Bees required flowers
Added a TFC Brick Oven that functions similarly to the campfire and replaces the vanilla furnace
Fixed Stone Gears Recipe

I would also like to mention that after 5 months of working on this pack I can finally say that I am done with the major components that I had originally intended and why I need to overhaul the pack for version 2.0
  1. Rewriting and compressing the questbook to be less of a tutorial and more story based.
  2. Creating an interdependent and tier based tech tree that is more based around the complexity of the individual machines than their parent mods.
  3. Develop a complex mob spawning system that creates hot spots and danger zones through out the world instead of the previous purely random spawns.
  4. Integrate functioning Roguelike Dungeons into a TFC world with out injecting too many vanilla blocks and items that would unbalance the game.
Although none of these features is fully 100% complete and the game balance isnt exactly perfect, I feel confident enough to call this version 2.0 and no longer in beta testing stages. There of course will continue to be more testing and development of the late game features, but I would not feel at all disappointed to leave it in its current state.

Thank you all for the amazing help and support over the last several months! I really would not have been able to get this far with out all of your help :D

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Now @Lhamabomb does post an important question, and it is one that I have been very hesitant to discuss. But I think with the release of TFP 2.0 I should at least try to explain some of the reasons.

To be blunt TerraFirmaPunk 2.0, and TFC for that matter, was never intend to be played in either Creative or Peaceful modes so I have not spent a great deal of time on features to make it possible. I cannot stop players from using these modes but I must warn everyone that you will do so at your own risk! Peaceful and Creative modes should only be used for testing or debugging, and not as a regular mode of play. I do not have anything against someone playing in either creative or peaceful, but to do so goes against the entire purpose of the pack, so I strongly caution everyone who does.

Firstly there are several blocks or combinations of blocks that will make the game unplayable and corrupt the world. I have done my best to make it impossible to acquire these blocks in a survival setting however some of them can still be obtained in creative. If you manage to corrupt your world in this manner I cannot help you recover it :( Always be extremely careful with any blocks or items spawned or summoned through creative mode! Secondly TFP was never intended for play on Peaceful mode so you will not be able to progress either in the tech tree or the questbook.

I have developed TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 with the intent that it should feel like a CTM or other Custom Adventure Maps. TFP 1.0 was even supposed to have been release with a Custom Map included, but I never got the time to finish it. The ruins, dungeons and Twilight Forest bosses scattered about the worlds are there to provide and adventure for players that are already exploring the world looking for rare ores to mine. The entire pack, from the questbook, the tech tree, and especially the mobs are ment to be one great big puzzle. TerraFirmaCraft already requires the players to learn where rare minerals can be found and I wanted to keep that kind of search as one of the core elements in TerraFirmaPunk 2.0. It is very difficult to generate new ores in a TFC world so I have used other tools to diversify the resources. Some of these tools include the Ruins and Dungeons and I even rely on players having to reach various levels of tech before some resources can even be cultivated, or even identified. This is all part of the grand puzzle that is TFP 2.0. But of course the largest source/tool I have for dispersing resources is the monsters themselves. Monster hunting or farming is not simply an option to help speed up progression but is absolutely required to progress at all. I really do not know of any technical pack that does not require at least some monsters to be killed, whether its for gunpowder, ender pears, ghast tears, or even wither skulls. I have spent many long hours trying to incorporate mob drops as required materials for the tech progression, and I have no intention of undoing all of that work just so someone can play on peaceful and entirely miss out on the biggest and most exciting feature of this pack.

I hope this helps to clarify my position on this issue and I apologize if it has offended anyone. This is of course primarily an Adventure based mod pack.

M

MidnightRein

OH DEAR.
Welp, I'm starting up a new world then for the update, there's a couple Giants I've tried to kite closer to my base to eventually get rid of them but if they move faster now that plan isn't exactly gonna work.

I tried my first run on peaceful and it didn't get rid of the mobs? So it must be something in the configs I suppose, it does make the pack rather intimidating to not be able to start out in a clear spot for certain. And I guess the biggest reason why I play on peaceful, like, ever, is to focus more heavily on moving around the map and not be interrupted by that one jerk skelly who leaps out of a cave and one-bangs me. And there is that it's more peaceful and especially while I was still in school it was a great de-stressing tool. Shame the pack is tech-based, Magic Crops is usually a happy medium.

Reactions: Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, but i've got to disagree with you on you reasoning onewolfe. in most mods/modpacks, there is a peaceful mode alternative to acquiring mobs drops or alternative recipes that don't require them.

Even in your modpack, there's several alternatives to standard mob loot
Gunpowder: Sulfur+charcoal+saltpeter
String: Silk wisp(bees), Spider webs (Rogue-Likes)
Bones: Every TFC animal
Ghast tears: Sifting soulsand

As for zombie flesh and wither skulls, the flesh can be found in low amounts in the chests of the rogue likes (and the pack doesn't call for excessive amounts of it so this low amount works fine) and the skulls appear as deco items in most of the dungeons floor 3 and below.

You seem to have this assumption that people that play on peaceful are also playing on creative, which is not the case. Just because i don't have mobs around, doesn't mean i'm not working for every block i create. So where you are coming up with the "playing on peaceful could corrupt the world" thing idk...

And like i said in my previous post, where you see "fun and excitment" in being overrun by extremely overpowered mobs, some people find frustrating and stressful. I don't find anything fun about being 5 min into a game, getting swamped by a swarm of mobs, running to the gravestone only to find the mobs hanging around it like its a watercooler.

Anyways, since you seem very firm on your stance that you won't accommodate all types of players, i'll embrace your mindset of a peaceful mode player. If i run into a crafting recipe that i simply cannot without killing a mob, i'll cheat the mob drop in. I doubt it'll break the game if i creative in something you intended me to have from a mob drop, so i'm not worried about corrupting my game.

Long term, i'm going to start working on building a mirror to this pack, with the goal of being able to take my current world and port it over to my pack and have everything work. I'll then make it public and mention save file compatibility with TFP as a feature of the pack. Don't worry, i'm going to build it from the ground up, so i don't plan on using any scripts or changes you've implemented. There will be times i'll have to check the configs to see what you've changed, but know that it won't be a straight copy/paste job.

Don't take this as an attack or a lash out. It's just the price of being unaccommodating to a group of fans. Eventually, someone comes along to fill the gap that you leave by telling someone you absolutely wont do something. Strictly business.

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
Sure comes across as lashing out from where I'm standing. It's like demanding Blood 'n' Bones (another modpack that is serious about mob "interaction") work with Peaceful.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: OneWolfe

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
Not to interrupt the back-and-forth on peaceful vs normal, but I wanted to put out there that as a hobby I've decided to start uploading videos to Youtube and am using TFP as the modpack. The only modifications to the pack I have made was the addition of shaders and the removal of better foliage (BF messes with my FPS with the shaders)

I don't claim to be a TFC expert, but I do have some knowledge that I can pass along to new players to the mod/playstyle.

Like I said, I'm just doing this as a bit of a hobby. I hope to have 3 videos uploaded a week, with the possibility later on of adding a multi-player series of the pack.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCq2VMbOHBTHnBqtN9FQNBQ

J

JAWolfe

I was watching Slowpoke, owner of FTB and creator of quite a few modpacks, the other day while he was streaming. He was talking about the process of making a modpack and things he has learned over the years. He said something that I thought was something that I've been trying to apply with my mod development and many mod pack developers should also take heed. He said that he has learned to develop a vision for what you are creating and develop that vision without letting other people alter it. I have learned that both mod and mod pack development are a form of art. You create an experience for the player so they can experience your vision. In trying to tell a mod or mod pack developer how their vision should be you are essentially taking the paint brush out of the hand of the artist and telling them that you know their vision better than they do. Would you tell Picasso to change his paintings because it isn't what you like?

On the subject of mirroring this pack and publishing it, you will essentially be copying 90-95% of the pack and republishing it as your own. This is still plagiarism even if you "build it from the ground up", which I cannot condone. I will not give you permission to you my mod, TFP Tweaks, if you do that. In addition, I would doubt most launchers would allow you to copy a modpack and republish it as your own. If you want to create recipes with minetweaker in the pack that would allow you to play in peaceful mod, then you are welcome to do so for your own enjoyment.

OneWolfe created this modpack with a specific vision of what he wanted it to be and I believe that if you like it then play it otherwise there are many other type of modpacks, or art, out there that you might be better suited. This is also not the first time a modpack did not support peaceful mod, for that sake vanilla minecraft does not support peaceful mode gameplay in reaching the end. OneWolfe was nice enough not to completely lock the option of gamemode difficulty. He could have done what Crash Landing and many other packs did and lock the option. I have played numerous packs and there are quite a variety of packs and this particular type of pack tends to not support peaceful mode, it is just the nature of the pack type. So people will not like the pack and that is their own preference. Just like some people will not like avant-garde art, they should not diminish the value of the creation.

C

ColdComfort

TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 should be on the launcher now :D

Here is a short change log:
Added Archimedes Balloons to TFC Loom
Vanilla Hardened Clay and TFCStuff Hardened Clay can be swapped in the crafting grid
Added small change of glowstone dropping from Fireflys
Steamcraft2 Flesh Blocks require 9 rotten flesh instead of 4
Added small change of ores dropping from Mountain Trolls
Increased Flaxbeard's firearm damage values
ARC furnace now requires Black Steel in one of its components
TFC sand and powdered obsidian can be melted into liquid glass in the Thermionic Fabricator
Abysal Stone now has a lower baking temperature and turns to black stained glass at a broader range above the stone
Increased vein sizes for Native Copper ore
Fixed Typewriter recipe to use any metal trap door
Increased rates that Witches will drop Cursing Spirits
Fixed Tropical and Marshy Bees required flowers
Added a TFC Brick Oven that functions similarly to the campfire and replaces the vanilla furnace
Fixed Stone Gears Recipe

I would also like to mention that after 5 months of working on this pack I can finally say that I am done with the major components that I had originally intended and why I need to overhaul the pack for version 2.0
  1. Rewriting and compressing the questbook to be less of a tutorial and more story based.
  2. Creating an interdependent and tier based tech tree that is more based around the complexity of the individual machines than their parent mods.
  3. Develop a complex mob spawning system that creates hot spots and danger zones through out the world instead of the previous purely random spawns.
  4. Integrate functioning Roguelike Dungeons into a TFC world with out injecting too many vanilla blocks and items that would unbalance the game.
Although none of these features is fully 100% complete and the game balance isnt exactly perfect, I feel confident enough to call this version 2.0 and no longer in beta testing stages. There of course will continue to be more testing and development of the late game features, but I would not feel at all disappointed to leave it in its current state.

Thank you all for the amazing help and support over the last several months! I really would not have been able to get this far with out all of your help :D

Damn... That sounds like a lot of really solid changes! (I'm especially excited about the upgraded firearm damage. Do you know if the Longbow and Crossbow have been fixed yet? Crafting them seems to cause the client to crash.)

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
OH DEAR.
Welp, I'm starting up a new world then for the update, there's a couple Giants I've tried to kite closer to my base to eventually get rid of them but if they move faster now that plan isn't exactly gonna work.

I tried my first run on peaceful and it didn't get rid of the mobs? So it must be something in the configs I suppose, it does make the pack rather intimidating to not be able to start out in a clear spot for certain. And I guess the biggest reason why I play on peaceful, like, ever, is to focus more heavily on moving around the map and not be interrupted by that one jerk skelly who leaps out of a cave and one-bangs me. And there is that it's more peaceful and especially while I was still in school it was a great de-stressing tool. Shame the pack is tech-based, Magic Crops is usually a happy medium.

Try using the seed I am using for my Let's Play. Seed=3659539838550352030

It is very friendly starting out and pretty much everything you will need for quite some time is found decently nearby.

Reactions: MidnightRein
M

MidnightRein

Try using the seed I am using for my Let's Play. Seed=3659539838550352030

It is very friendly starting out and pretty much everything you will need for quite some time is found decently nearby.

Sweet! Thank you kindly!

S

SharkNDgator

So I just downloaded the pack and dedicated server so me and my friend could play, but we don't have the HQM book on start, and there is no HQM commands to spawn it. Any ideas?
Also, is the sky supposed to turn black when you get lower towards the ground?

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Damn... That sounds like a lot of really solid changes! (I'm especially excited about the upgraded firearm damage. Do you know if the Longbow and Crossbow have been fixed yet? Crafting them seems to cause the client to crash.)

Naw thats all just minor tweaks ...

And no sorry those bows are NOT going to be fixed. Unfortunately the developer refuses to do anything about his broken code so all I am going to do on my end is remove the recipes and possibly even hide them in NEI.

Long story short, dont use those bows :'(

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
I found an exploit! Pure lava when scooped up with a blue bucket returns a vanilla bucket with lava. If you scoop up water or lava with the vanilla bucket you get vanilla water and lava, with vanilla lava and water you can make cobblestone, with...... Yah so mainly the issue is with pure lava. I would also like to grow watermelons in a barrel and have health potions and regen potions adjusted so you don't have to chug 20 of em.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I found an exploit! Pure lava when scooped up with a blue bucket returns a vanilla bucket with lava. If you scoop up water or lava with the vanilla bucket you get vanilla water and lava, with vanilla lava and water you can make cobblestone, with...... Yah so mainly the issue is with pure lava.

That liquid should not even exist! And neither should the Blue Ooze! I thought I disabled them.

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I did find it near spawn, and who knows how long that's been there. So if it doesn't in a new world then, nvm, though you should check for peace of mind.

C

ColdComfort

Well, I did find it near spawn, and who knows how long that's been there. So if it doesn't in a new world then, nvm, though you should check for peace of mind.

The server was launched at version 1.0.97, I believe.

Too bad about the broken weapons! I'm near the top of the tech tree, but I still feel like a naked baby when fighting mobs. Main strategies are still hiding in a lake, or firing stacks of arrows from the top of a safety pole. Vaguely tempted to learn to mod to write some replacements in... (Though, thinking about it, jumping into TFC modding might not be the simplest way.)

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
so im partly interested in this pack again. havnt played it in a while due to other challenging packs. i didnt realize you added one of my favorite mods to this pack. immersive engineering. i have made a small tfc pack with it (private pack) and it worked great. should give me a heads up on how you would/have change/changed the ores for the giant mining scoop thing ;). not to criticize your pack but the last version i played kinda felt not really a terrafirmacraft pack. i guess im just too use to vanilla TFC and trying to keep mods that are added too much like vanilla tfc.

Reactions: OneWolfe