[1.7.10] Shattered

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
OK, moving right along with that clay recipe for the squeezer. Have 3 water tanks, a coke oven, and a field of humus.

Time to do some agricraft cross-breeding to get some crop variety. Going to be painful without a watering can. Might do some more railcraft tanks and think about a sprinkler.

Oh, and I added fast leaf decay and turned off weeds in agricraft. Weeds mean you have to babysit your crops all the time which I am unwilling to do. :)

Last edited:

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Well just as a quick update on progress. Made a moistener which was easy with how much I had saved up checking random rubble piles for resources, Clay production through it is great, haven't used the machine since Minecraft 1.4 I believe. Have a coke oven up now and while waiting for the update made a mob tower and put wooden spikes below it. Not in a great position probably should of moved it to the island above me to get it away from the rest of the normal mobs spawning in hopes of closer to skyblock speeds. However it's produced enough XP to open up 4 slots and some loot bags for a nice start.

Also interested as well in starting some agri-craft cross-breeding, will give the bones I've been getting some use, also have a tainted island with a rather complete looking building on it that I wouldn't mind exploring once I get some more stuff built up.

Edit: got the blast furnace up which was relatively easy, was going to make a crusher however I think the grindstone will be fine for now even if it can only grind the normal ores and just use a bit of the steel for a tool forge, a hammer and lumberaxe are probably better investments.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
OK, moving right along with that clay recipe for the squeezer. Have 3 water tanks, a coke oven, and a field of humus.

Time to do some agricraft cross-breeding to get some crop variety. Going to be painful without a watering can. Might do some more railcraft tanks and think about a sprinkler.

Oh, and I added fast leaf decay and turned off weeds in agricraft. Weeds mean you have to babysit your crops all the time which I am unwilling to do. :)
Very nice. Fast leaf decay should be already working in the pack (part of random things). I made it faster then vanilla, but more "organic" in the decay. Of course, I might have derped up something again :D
I've never been keen on the watering can, that's the "easy" route.

Well just as a quick update on progress. Made a moistener which was easy with how much I had saved up checking random rubble piles for resources, Clay production through it is great, haven't used the machine since Minecraft 1.4 I believe. Have a coke oven up now and while waiting for the update made a mob tower and put wooden spikes below it. Not in a great position probably should of moved it to the island above me to get it away from the rest of the normal mobs spawning in hopes of closer to skyblock speeds. However it's produced enough XP to open up 4 slots and some loot bags for a nice start.

Also interested as well in starting some agri-craft cross-breeding, will give the bones I've been getting some use, also have a tainted island with a rather complete looking building on it that I wouldn't mind exploring once I get some more stuff built up.

Edit: got the blast furnace up which was relatively easy, was going to make a crusher however I think the grindstone will be fine for now even if it can only grind the normal ores and just use a bit of the steel for a tool forge, a hammer and lumberaxe are probably better investments.
Also very nice. Yes, the blast furnace is designed to be easier to build. I never liked the idea of having to go the nether just to get the mats for an early game machine. Plus you are going to need a lot of steel so in time you might need a few blast furnaces.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Protip: Don't watch a movie on another monitor while playing hardcore mode. Died of thirst about 3m from 4 water tanks. doh.

How do you fill camel pack now? Used to be water bottles in a crafting table with the pack but I don't see that recipe in NEI and it doesn't seem to work in any configuration.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Protip: Don't watch a movie on another monitor while playing hardcore mode. Died of thirst about 3m from 4 water tanks. doh.

How do you fill camel pack now? Used to be water bottles in a crafting table with the pack but I don't see that recipe in NEI and it doesn't seem to work in any configuration.
Hmm, I honestly don't know. Searching the net the wiki no longer exists, the MC forum topic states discontinued. I know you can combine armour with a camel pack.
Since this is designed to work with vanilla MC, what about right clicking the pack on a cauldron filled with water? Seems the only possible alternative option.

Edit: Found a bug with Forestry backpacks. They don't accept oredict blocks even though the config has this option. Somethings wrong there, looks like a badly generated config file.
I also realised while walking the dog I totally forgot to disable some specific recipes. The tweaks continue!

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Changes/fixes in the next version:
* Fixed Forestry bagpacks (download and place this file in the config/forestry folder to get the fix early - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/Shattered/backpacks.cfg)
* You can cook meats into Jerky (Tinkers drying racks not working due to the rot mechanic)
* Removed some recipes I totally forgot about (Advanced Rocketry stuff)

Next version will be submitted at the weekend, to allow time for more tweaks/fixes.

Edit: I need to think of some way to get sand too. My starting island, and all islands nearby don't appear to have any. That's a complete block to my progression. Thought the AE grindstone would make sand for me, but not according to NEI. That's fine. Haven't found any quartz crystals either :p

Last edited:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if that is a bug, but in my world clay seems to have generated at some parts underground.

And a little "help me!"-question *grins*
- Any advice what to do when you don't have any sand generated in your world, does it generate under ground? (trying to get to the coke oven but no sand anywhere to be found so far)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I setup a blue slime source block to flow downhill hoping I'd get a slime out of it now and then. No slimes but lots of squids, some of which dropped lootbags. Might be worth making a farm of that type at the very start just for the loot bags. The squids flow to the end of the water and suffocate leaving a pile of ink sacs and a loot bag now and then, you don't have to do anything but eyeball it whenever you're passing by.

Had to go through 10+ more hardcore worlds until I got another viable one. Of course 2-3 of those spawned me in the void. By viable I mean water+trees+sand+dirt+tall grass+slime island+rubble piles relatively close to each other, but not next to a magic forest(wisps are deadly in hardcore)or a lot of taint.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm not sure if that is a bug, but in my world clay seems to have generated at some parts underground.

And a little "help me!"-question *grins*
- Any advice what to do when you don't have any sand generated in your world, does it generate under ground? (trying to get to the coke oven but no sand anywhere to be found so far)
I'm encountering the same problem with sand. If you get no deserts, you are screwed. I'm going to have to add some world gen for sand, and a early game recipe.
Yes, clay can generate underground. Well done for finding some.

I setup a blue slime source block to flow downhill hoping I'd get a slime out of it now and then. No slimes but lots of squids, some of which dropped lootbags. Might be worth making a farm of that type at the very start just for the loot bags. The squids flow to the end of the water and suffocate leaving a pile of ink sacs and a loot bag now and then, you don't have to do anything but eyeball it whenever you're passing by.

Had to go through 10+ more hardcore worlds until I got another viable one. Of course 2-3 of those spawned me in the void. By viable I mean water+trees+sand+dirt+tall grass+slime island+rubble piles relatively close to each other, but not next to a magic forest(wisps are deadly in hardcore)or a lot of taint.
I had a similar situation with a sludge lake near my base, I only found out as I accidentally walked into it and withered to death. When I reclaimed my grave, I also gained 23 ink sacks and 2 loot bags.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm encountering the same problem with sand. If you get no deserts, you are screwed. I'm going to have to add some world gen for sand, and a early game recipe.
Yes, clay can generate underground. Well done for finding some.

Happy to hear it's not just me with sand. Guess need to look if I can build an early bridge to one of the outer islands, I think I saw some of the more dry biomes there. (still like 6 chunks of bridge over the void or so *scared!*)

And well, it's more like it found me. Just broke 3 dirt blocks which were in the way of my house entrance and there it was shouting "Surprise!" *chuckles*

So far it's quiet fun to search everything together to get started in the world. And I'm quiet happy that you avoided the "one bottle of water is 1'000mB"-recipe which most people change when they're using enviroments water-need. (unless that is a bug, but I hope it is not *hides*)

[edit]

One suggestion:
- Maybe make the grindstone recipe easier (like using 3 flint instead of any quartz) and disable all bonus-outputs of it.

Seeing bronze as one of the first things you need, hoping for either getting bronze/copper/tin dust form the rubble piles or that you find any quartz in the world is bit complicated start.

[edit2]

My status so far:
Have my coke oven (finally found sand, a big pocket of it, phew) and two stacks of seared bricks. Not sure if I want to use them for the blast furnace or the smeltery. Will decide when mining a bit, since I still havn't found much lava and smeltery with only 2 buckets of lava will be dry fast. ^^"

Started with agricraft and that probably will be my work for the next few hours of playing. I always raise every single plant I can to 10/10/10 in agricraft, heh (kinda happy there is no pam's harvestcraft in the pack, cause that would make my agricraft-time increase alot x.x)
Too bad iron-plants are behind Lapis. So have to find some lapis before I can go into the metallic plants.

[edit 3]

Anyone knows if the Railcraft watertank (the one that creates water slowly) is too weak for the agricraft water tanks?
Whenever I connect it - even tried with a buffer in form of a portable tank of TE - the water seems to get voided instead of filling the agricraft tank :/

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The speed with which a Railcraft tank will accumulate water depends on the biome.

As far as keeping up with an agricraft tank it doesn't keep up with the tank, it keeps up with however many sprinklers you have hanging off of it, right? I've got a railcraft tank feeding an agricraft tank with no sprinklers and the agricraft tank is indeed filling up with water, albeit very slowly. If there is no channel and/or sprinklers off your agricraft tank and the water is still disappearing there is a problem somewhere.

Today I worked on leveling a large area, building a wall with anti-spider fending on the top outside, and lighting the interior so I can consider staying up enough nights to get it to rain. Playing in hardcore though I'm terrified of allowing a full night of mobs to spawn around me. Two times I've been underground when night fell and getting back up to my bed and sleeping was a near-death experience both times.

I'm ready to progress into IE but I need a source of copper. Have plenty of iron/tin/silver/gold/lead, but no copper.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
@twisto51
From which wood did you make the agricraft tank?
Mine is from oak and it seems kinda bugged. No matter which way I use, it stays at 1mB and void everything else which goes in (tested with TE tank, Railcraft tank, even just putting it out into the rain).

[edit]

And a huge "Arrrrgh!". Seems Waila just fails to update what's inside the water tank... no wonder it looked like it voided the water instead of getting fuller.
(tested with adding a second tank, whenever I placed it and broke it the number went up x.x)

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
My tanks are acacia, but I doubt that matters. WAILA works for me for the tanks but I copied the various bits of WAILA over from another pack.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
@Nezraddin
Smeltery only requires Steel so you can go ahead and use the seared bricks for blast furnace. Smeltery itself requires a ton of steel, made a quick 1 slot smeltery to make 4 bronze blocks for the tool forge so I didn't waste too many resources making a larger smeltery. Terrible lava requirements though;( Thankfully just recently found a lava pool while mining after I made the tool forge

Personally I would prefer that the quartz grindstone continues to double, though maybe reduce it to 50%. As for changing the recipe it might be nice, I still haven't found quartz of any type though I've gotten the ones I need for the grindstone from loot bags.

I was looking at the uses of aluminum after I finally found bauxite. Apparently Any sort of ore doubling produces IE's aluminum, furnace/smeltery produces TC aluminum. TC aluminum is used in all the recipes and isn't ore dictionaried. Not sure if this was the Intention to have ore doubling have the added step of using the smeltery to switch types or just an oversight.

Anyways made quite a bit of progress. My hammer with the backpack config file is great and the lumber axe/excavator has been saving a lot of time collecting sand and logs. Got a ton of iron,tin and bauxite gathered up so far. Now it's just a matter of getting the crusher up and built. Built 5 coke ovens for charcoal production of course then realized the crusher didn't require much steel basically;(. Think it's also time to look into agricraft, I forgot completely about agricraft sprinklers though!

Reactions: Golrith

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
@Nedrith
Thank you for the hint.

Totally forgot to look at the recipes for the smeltery. Playing so many modpacks where recipes are heavily changed but still always forgetting to use NEI properly. *laughs*

Guess I will skip the smeltery first and directly make the crusher. Was very lucky to find a ruined building with a mekanism Windturbine which I hopefully can use with IE power-connectors.
Usually would feel a lil cheaty to get this generator for free... but looking back on how I had to dodge and hide from 10~14 of these blazelike creatures to slowly sneak up to the generator and finally grabbing it before running for my life. Nope not feels bad at all *chuckles*

Doesn't mekanism have some item for changing ore-dict directly?
Though I don't know how difficult it is to craft this one, but that might be a help.

My progression so far is that the first four plants are maxed out, working on the next. Even thinking about making a weed-field since I noticed: when you use agricrafts rake on weed-plants, you get gras (not the blocks but the ones you get from bonemealing grassblocks). That might be quiet a nice thing to have.
So while I'm usually hating weeds in agricraft, this time they might come in handy :)

Need alot of luck soon to find some lapis and such to get into the ressource-plants. And of course need some way to find salpeter/niter to make the blocks you need for growing them.
And found three satchels so far and even enough invar in the rubble piles to upgrade one. These sure are fantastic for the limited inventory. Feels like I quintupled my inventory space *laughs*

[edit]
Just checked:
The dictionary from mekanism is more like middle-game, so might take a while before you can craft that :/

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
IE Coal Coke won't work in the Railcraft Blast Furnace.

doh, tough cave spider got me while I was looting smeltery parts from a chisel ruin. World gone. :p

Lol, fallen knight got me in a new world and I noticed that I dropped a loot bag.

Couple tips:

Instead of spending 8 planks on a storage crate you can spend 4 on a ticon crafting bench which also has 9 slots of storage.

If you're desperate for sticks you can make a half-unit wooden part in the part builder and get 1 stick back per plank.

Drinking out of a glass bottle seems to cure more thirst than drinking direct from a pool.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Great discussion going on there. I'll have to look into that aluminium issue. It should only be one type. I thought I standardised all variations, but it's a lot of resources and outputs and machines to check :D
Twisto, how are you getting IE Coal Coke? Copper is usually found in mountains/higher islands.
Nezraddin, Lapis is found in marble. It's also quite a generous spawn but located near the bottom of islands. I am confused, why do you need Saltpeter/Niter?

I've just submitted update 1.0.2 (early download link here if you want it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/Shattered/Shattered_FTB301116.zip)
* Fixed Forestry Backpacks
* You can cook meats into Jerky (Tinkers drying racks not working due to the rot mechanic)
* Removed some recipes I totally forgot about (Advanced Rocketry stuff)
* Added Sand options to world gen and crafting
* Added Beetroot seeds as a grass drop
* Repurposed a chisel block to look like the 1.10 magma block. Spawns in Nether, purely decorative.
* Some new textures to replace the 16x versions
* Added FastLeafDecay (serious derp, was using Random things for both HC darkness and Leaf Decay, switched to the standalone HC darkness mod as it has more needed options, thought, right, I don't need random things then...)
* Some script adjustments
* Reduced amount of Bitumen Sand that generates

My todo list for next update:
* Look at Aluminium
* Possibly change/add alternative grindstone recipe (I already thought of this, perhaps a recipe that uses flint and iron as a counter balance)
* Look at the bronze starting issue (can't rely on RNG for dusts!), might have to make a really inefficient recipe to get you started on the tech path
* Disable weeds in Agricraft - I've already made it a bigger resource investment, so dealing with weeds is a bit evil

My pro tips:
* The wooden tool rod is also classed as a stick
* You can find some great stuff if you explore, you just have to deal with what might be guarding it.
* Satchels and backpacks for the win!

Would love to see screenshots of your worlds. So far my progress has been slow. I'm digging out a small mesa to turn into a home, and have 2 vanilla style farms slowly filling up. Next step is moistener, sand, and setup an agricraft farm.

As always, keep with the feedback, problems and suggestions. They all help improve the pack and game experience.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
From an IE coke oven that I put some coal into.

I forgot to take any pictures of my base after all the work before losing that world but did find this screenshot that I thought was good for a laugh.

http://imgur.com/a/gW9b6
Damn, I would have thought RC and IE coal coke would be interchangable. Ok, another thing for me to look into. It's quite amusing, it's all the little things I didn't expect are catching this pack offguard.
Lol, yeah, there are a couple of structures that can spawn on clouds. I left them as amusement.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, I would have thought RC and IE coal coke would be interchangable. Ok, another thing for me to look into. It's quite amusing, it's all the little things I didn't expect are catching this pack offguard.

This is the first pack they haven't been interchangeable for me. :p