[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

InsaneTD

Jul 29, 2019
Oh lame. There goes the idea I had. Thought I'd read some where that that worked. Guess I can work with a tainted node.

P.S; living the pack and looking forward to .8. :D

natelovesyou

Jul 29, 2019
If i lay out the farms all i need is a harvester or do they break the sticks?
You could just use Thaumcraft Golems, which are accessible pretty early on once you get the ability to grow Greatwood Saplings. Try Flesh Golems with a Harvest Core, you don't even need another Golem to pick it all up. Just use a Hopperhock (I make them floating ones) from Botania, which I believe has a radius of 6 around it. Place a chest adjacent to the Hopperhock, and you could use your favorite method of item transfer to move the items from there, such as import buses to move into an ME system if you're that far.
The pure node is nice to have around your target area, along with ethereal blooms. They'll both help prevent the then tainted node from spreading too much taint while it's being energised. (Once energised it won't do anything special, the reason you taint it first is the hungry node can eat the stabliser or transducer before being fully energised. I've heard you can spam cobblestone next to it for it to eat during the process to prevent it (I think on the north side) but i have not tested this.

EDIT: The pure node wouldn't affect the tainted node though.
I've always found the concept of merging nodes to be confusing. I've dabbled in it but it doesn't seem to work. Do you or anyone else have a good resource to figure it out? For example, I grew a Silverwood that miraculously had TWO pure nodes within a few blocks of each other, broke all of the tree except the nodes encased in the logs. Nothing has happened to them and it's been 20+ real hours since then...in fact, the dang things haven't even gotten bigger (all just 1-4 points per aspect). Do pures in logs merge on their own, or do I need to jar them then move them to a certain distance?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Logs (and Obsidian Totems) act a little bit like a node stabliser, in that they cannot interact with other nodes. If you want them to interact you'll need to jar and release them. Mind you I'm not sure it's worth even doing for the silverwood nodes as they are so tiny.

EDIT: As a rule of thumb, the bigger node will bully nearby smaller nodes attempting to steal vis. There are 2 outcomes for the bigger node, and 2 (maybe 3) for the smaller.

For the big node, it either gains the stolen aspect, or fails to gain it. The more of the aspect already in the node, the smaller the chance for success (it's based on 1/count iirc.)

The small node either loses 1 vis from itself that it can replenish (as if you'd drained one point of vis with a wand) or loses 1 vis capacity (which it cannot regen). Normal bad things occur if a node is bullied to 0 vis as if it's been completely drained with a wand.
The possible 3rd possiblilty is the small node resists the bullying, but I think this was just a case of the node regenning the stolen aspect at pretty much the exact same time it were stolen.

Node Stablisers prevent nodes from interacting from other nodes at all, the advanced ones let them steal, but not get stolen from. (but they still don't let them bully bigger nodes.)

Last edited:

Raetac

Jul 29, 2019
You know, doing Blood Magic in a pack with Witchery has it's benefits, more witches spawers than you can poke a stick at.

BLAMM!

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh*
I grabbed the Creative Thaumonomicon just to see if I could figure out what the problem was. I didn't realize the thing would unlock everything in my normal Thaumonomicon. So now I have access to the Seals like I wanted (not to mention a ton of warp), but I feel like I cheated. Not to mention that I still don't know why they weren't showing in the first place. Maybe next time, after 0.8, I guess.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh*
I grabbed the Creative Thaumonomicon just to see if I could figure out what the problem was. I didn't realize the thing would unlock everything in my normal Thaumonomicon. So now I have access to the Seals like I wanted (not to mention a ton of warp), but I feel like I cheated. Not to mention that I still don't know why they weren't showing in the first place. Maybe next time, after 0.8, I guess.

I believe that you have to progress a bit in whichever tab they're from. I wanna say it has some hidden connection to other teleportational-type stuff (or possibly other chest-type stuff) but that's pure speculation.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh*

Yup, that's always a fun way to find out what warp does. XD
There are a couple of commands to fix this issue, namely the "now I have ALL the research" one;
http://thaumcraft-4.wikia.com/wiki/Commands

Please note that you'll need to reset your warp separately from your research, here is a list of the names of such so you can enter them back in manually if you don't want to play the minigame again;
https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft/blob/master/en_US.lang
When you go to this list, ctrl+F and type in "RESEARCH=Research" without the quotation marks. This will bring you to the list of researches, their descriptions, and their code names, which are the capitalized ones.
The code names are the ones you'll want to input with the "give specific research" command.

If you don't decide to change everything back, a word of forewarning. The soap and hot tub will only do so much. In fact the vast majority of the warp you get from research is permanent, and the soap cannot help that. Also if you afk for long periods, bloodthornes and the flower that sucks up taint and flux would be highly recommended to have nearby, not to mention a high one block platform with a way to stay up there even if you're hit, along with a roof that things can't stay on, but blocks sunlight. Also be careful not to set your cursor on top of anything you don't want dead.

As to the chest seals themselves.
Honestly, I never do much of a high order with Thaumcraft till I've researched nearly everything that doesn't give me warp, simply because I haven't memorized what leads to what, and reddit and wikis don't usually list it all. However, the vast majority of the simple mechanical stuff, like seals and crystallization and whathaveyou, don't need any warpy researches to access, so you can completely ignore those if you want, and that'll save you a good chunk of time.

MakakPL

Jul 29, 2019
You know, doing Blood Magic in a pack with Witchery has it's benefits, more witches spawers than you can poke a stick at.
or just grab bag full of Diamond Dollys and go for a trip :) you will have a lot of spawners ...
tip : botania blaster with bore lens works like scoop on bee hive ( good to have on long trips )

PippinSmith

Jul 29, 2019
or just grab bag full of Diamond Dollys and go for a trip :) you will have a lot of spawners ...
tip : botania blaster with bore lens works like scoop on bee hive ( good to have on long trips )
I would think that the 'scoop' behaviour is not intended, might need to poke @Vazkii about that... (well I suppose I just did)

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The wand focus of excavation also scoops beehives, and mining lasers from ic2 apparently scoop them too.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone can tell me, if I need to find the "Infernal Bricks" somewhere in the world or do I oversee something about making the Blast Furnace?

Searching for this through google I found a page in this thread telling, that there is an other recipe not using the railcraft infernal blocks, but NEI only shows me the one with the infernal blocks... and I don't know if you really need to search from them in the world or if that is a bug? :(

Zimek

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone can tell me, if I need to find the "Infernal Bricks" somewhere in the world or do I oversee something about making the Blast Furnace?

Searching for this through google I found a page in this thread telling, that there is an other recipe not using the railcraft infernal blocks, but NEI only shows me the one with the infernal blocks... and I don't know if you really need to search from them in the world or if that is a bug? :(
you give up too quickly in nei. you found that you can craft them using infernal blocks, but you didn't check to find out how to craft infernal blocks. follow the chain, you can craft it.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
I've always found the concept of merging nodes to be confusing. I've dabbled in it but it doesn't seem to work. Do you or anyone else have a good resource to figure it out? For example, I grew a Silverwood that miraculously had TWO pure nodes within a few blocks of each other, broke all of the tree except the nodes encased in the logs. Nothing has happened to them and it's been 20+ real hours since then...in fact, the dang things haven't even gotten bigger (all just 1-4 points per aspect). Do pures in logs merge on their own, or do I need to jar them then move them to a certain distance?

Nodes don't merge in TC4. That's a TC3 behavior. In TC4, a larger node will "bully" a smaller node and drain it, giving the larger node a chance to increase the aspect it drained. I believe it's a 1/x chance, where x is the amount of the aspect the larger node already has. Your pure nodes are not bullying eachother I think because they are about the same size. That, or nodes in blocks don't participate in that behavior. I haven't tested it. Of note is if a node ever reaches 0 in an aspect it has a chance to be damaged, either losing that aspect entirely or turning pale/faded. On top of that, a node being bullied will gradually lose max capacity in the aspect(s) being drained. The optimal strategy is allowing the bullying to continue until the victim's vis gets low, then protecting the victim somehow until it regenerates, at which point the bullying can begin again. I never had the patience to utilize bullying to get a decent sized node for energizing purposes. I just wandered around until I found a node that had a decent quantity of a composite aspect that resulted in full coverage of all the basic aspects.

Feeding a hungry node is a fast way of getting a well-rounded large node, as well. I think every hungry node has a max capacity that each aspect can reach by feeding, however, so if the hungry node(s) you find are all low capacity you're out of luck. I suppose you could just deal with it and use them anyway.

Just make the infernal bricks. Either go to the nether and mine the materials or grow them via nether essence.

BLAMM!

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that's always a fun way to find out what warp does. XD
There are a couple of commands to fix this issue, namely the "now I have ALL the research" one;
http://thaumcraft-4.wikia.com/wiki/Commands

Please note that you'll need to reset your warp separately from your research, here is a list of the names of such so you can enter them back in manually if you don't want to play the minigame again;
https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft/blob/master/en_US.lang
When you go to this list, ctrl+F and type in "RESEARCH=Research" without the quotation marks. This will bring you to the list of researches, their descriptions, and their code names, which are the capitalized ones.
The code names are the ones you'll want to input with the "give specific research" command.

If you don't decide to change everything back, a word of forewarning. The soap and hot tub will only do so much. In fact the vast majority of the warp you get from research is permanent, and the soap cannot help that. Also if you afk for long periods, bloodthornes and the flower that sucks up taint and flux would be highly recommended to have nearby, not to mention a high one block platform with a way to stay up there even if you're hit, along with a roof that things can't stay on, but blocks sunlight. Also be careful not to set your cursor on top of anything you don't want dead.

As to the chest seals themselves.
Honestly, I never do much of a high order with Thaumcraft till I've researched nearly everything that doesn't give me warp, simply because I haven't memorized what leads to what, and reddit and wikis don't usually list it all. However, the vast majority of the simple mechanical stuff, like seals and crystallization and whathaveyou, don't need any warpy researches to access, so you can completely ignore those if you want, and that'll save you a good chunk of time.
Thanks, that will help. I knew that warp came with some undesirable effects, but you make it sound serious. I'm not sure I want to know the whys and wherefores of some of those precautions.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
you give up too quickly in nei. you found that you can craft them using infernal blocks, but you didn't check to find out how to craft infernal blocks. follow the chain, you can craft it.

Actually I did follow the chain and searched NEI seperatly for "Infernal", too. But there is no Infernal Brick that can be crafted for me.

I tried using the "/mt reload" command in case something got stucked, but everytime after I use it I cannot use NEI anymore without minecraft crashing... :/

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I did follow the chain and searched NEI seperatly for "Infernal", too. But there is no Infernal Brick that can be crafted for me.

I tried using the "/mt reload" command in case something got stucked, but everytime after I use it I cannot use NEI anymore without minecraft crashing... :/

Let me tell you, since my first action when I was doing this was to search through NEI, you're not looking through NEI. If you were, you'd have found the recipe already like everyone else. You've already been told what to do, so if you still can't figure it out, then there's not much more that can be done for you. As for why NEI searches are crashing your game, there's an FAQ that discusses that in the second post of the thread.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Well "Look for Infernal -Block- and Chisel" would 'probably' would have helped better than "you cannot be helped".
Looking for the Infernal 'Bricks' did only show recipes that are not possible to follow (and Chisel-using is not a "recipe" for me).

Thanks for the hint to look through everything "Infernal".

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Well "Look for Infernal -Block- and Chisel" would 'probably' would have helped better than "you cannot be helped".
Looking for the Infernal 'Bricks' did only show recipes that are not possible to follow (and Chisel-using is not a "recipe" for me).

Thanks for the hint to look through everything "Infernal".

Recipe of blast furnace. Recipe of infernal bricks. Follow the durned recipes. That's exactly what you were told to do. To follow the recipe chain. You've proven yourself incapable of that.

EDIT: You don't even need chisel. There are regular crafting grid recipes you could easily have followed backwards to get your answer, all without needing the forums. I most certainly did it, and judging by the rather few posts about it, I can only assume lots of other people did as well.