[1.7.10] Material Energy^4

joakimar

Jul 29, 2019
So what's the current word on running a Material Energy^4 server for me and friends? So just one party, shared quests. Is this somehow easy to set up, or should I give up?

joakimar

Jul 29, 2019
To answer my own question…

How to run a material energy 4 server:

1. Start with the folder that FTB creates for single-player, make a copy of it somewhere and call it "ME4_server" instead
2. Download the vanilla 1.7.10 server, add to folder
3. Download latest Forge for 1.7.10, add to folder
4. Try launching Forge (using java -jar forge*) and remove mods that only work on client-side

I had to remove these:

CustomMainMenu-MC1.7.10-1.1
Lockdown-universal-1.7.2-2.0.0.0
ResourceLoader-1.0
WAILA-features-1.7.10-0.0.1

Then I also had to upgrade Thermal Expansion. I went ahead and updated all three (cofh core, foundation, and expansion) from here: http://teamcofh.com/downloads/
Make sure to delete the previous version of each. These will also have to be added to any client trying to connect.

Reactions: Crazy-San

Questwizard

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I finally finished getting all the wools, and I did like the ^4 areas much better than the first set of areas, mostly because they required me to actually think about how to deal with the spawners and stuff instead of just trying to plow through hundreds of ubermobs with underpowered gear.

Early game, I did some serious quality-of-life and efficiency changes to the base so I didn't waste power on unnecessary AE items. I got rid of all the unnecessary ME cable and controllers, and built a tiny AE system right next to the door to the spatial areas. I also gutted the spatial IO port room because I got sick of having to travel anchor there and back constantly. I rerouted the cabling to the observatory so I could quickly change areas from there. I also put a toggle bus on the spatial stuff so it was only active for a split second when I pushed the button because all that dense cable was chewing through a dense energy cell pretty quickly. I also dumped everything from the reactor and rebuilt it in the observatory so I didn't have to keep going there to turn it on and off. Later on, I filled it with cryotheum of course.

I skipped quite a few places in the early spatial areas, like the middle floor of the biosphere and the witch water floor of Nether Sphere and came back to them after I had uber gear. I actually still got killed in the biosphere even with the powerful rapiers i had. I cheesed both nether spheres because I wasn't about to charge head on into either of those messes unprepared.

The ^4 areas were more fun than the early areas, but the last few areas after those just didn't feel like they were fleshed out at all. When I got the insane lag spike from popping in Keeby's I thought MC was going to either crash or run like 2fps. Surprisingly, I was still getting about 30-40fps, but the tickrate went in the gutter fast. Florbs were literally taking 10+ secs to spawn the pyrotheum after hitting something.

I used the legendary bags there to make legendary seeds, and spammed fluxed crystals to death until I had over 300 legendary bag seeds growing at once. Hint: breaking the fully grown crop instead of right clicking gives 2 seeds most of the time, but only if you break it with an item in your hand, otherwise all you get is a single seed and no chunks. Legendary bag spam got me the necessary cookies for an angel ring right around the time my 128 interaction upgrade cobble gen hit octuple so i could make a torcherino. I then kicked on the reactor and let it waste some fuel till I had some cyanite (I barely touched the reactor up to this point. I only had to run it like 3 times up to that point).

Once I kicked the fluxed crystals farm into overdrive with that torcherino I started mass-spamming almost every seed in existence except a few useless ones (like theobromine, spatial io, feathers (gives 32767 dmg value, which makes them unusable in any recipe), and a few others like dirt and cobble). I also upgraded my pick to an unbreakable tartarite from wooden, and spammed it with speed modifiers using some of the 700+ creative modifiers I had from legendary bags. I also made a pair of tartarite rapiers and spammed them with as much sharpness as I had nether quartz for. I cleared out the nether spheres at this point to get necrotic bones and put Life Steal XI and Looting III on both.

At that point, I stopped using armor altogether as Life Steal XI is essentially god mode as long as you have a steady stream of mobs to chain hits on.

Overall, Miners' Delight^4 was the most fun. It was a nice change from the typical deathfest that most of the early areas were. FYI, Dense Ores is what causes the ridiculous lag in there. I tested by grabbing a few stacks, unloaded the spatial area, and placed them in the observatory. FPS plummeted after about 3-4 stacks of various dense ores were placed, and went back up as I broke them.

Reds was super easy, as was the trips through the overworld and deep dark. The nether was easy to cheese, but I decided to try a death run collecting all the spawners just for fun and to put those rapiers to the ultimate test. I managed to get all the spawners and take out every single wither that spawned with only one death, and no armor whatsoever for the entire run. The only reason I died once is because I got distracted for a split second and lost track of the wither I was fighting. It killed me within a few seconds.
For those interested, here's the stats on the pick and rapiers:
http://questwizard.net/mc/uberpick.png
http://questwizard.net/mc/uberrapier.png

I haven't finished all the quests yet (I skipped useless garbage like oreberries, theobromine seeds, MP-only stuff, etc., and I'm still missing 3 trophies from buffers as well as the boni bacon. I did do octuple cobble, 100k charcoal blocks, and 1m sugarcane though, as those were super easy and quick. I could easily do the others just by afk'ing for a while.

Charcoal was kind of hilarious to watch: Autonomous Activators + Autosmelt Lumber Axe + Lata = Obscene quantities of charcoal and XP extremely fast. Good luck automating the collection of all those drops though. I tried and finally just started running around with a magnet and wireless terminal because it would have taken far too many vacuum chests and hoppers or annihilation planes.

I'll probably go back at some point and finish up the last of the quests and check out a few community areas I haven't been too yet. Looking forward to messing around in ME^3 now, since I haven't played that one yet.

Crazy-San

Jul 29, 2019
To answer my own question…

How to run a material energy 4 server:

1. Start with the folder that FTB creates for single-player, make a copy of it somewhere and call it "ME4_server" instead
2. Download the vanilla 1.7.10 server, add to folder
3. Download latest Forge for 1.7.10, add to folder
4. Try launching Forge (using java -jar forge*) and remove mods that only work on client-side

I had to remove these:

CustomMainMenu-MC1.7.10-1.1
Lockdown-universal-1.7.2-2.0.0.0
ResourceLoader-1.0
WAILA-features-1.7.10-0.0.1

Then I also had to upgrade Thermal Expansion. I went ahead and updated all three (cofh core, foundation, and expansion) from here: http://teamcofh.com/downloads/
Make sure to delete the previous version of each. These will also have to be added to any client trying to connect.

Followed these steps, server is still crashing. attached log file

EDIT: Okay, posted on the FTBcrashes sub-reddit and someone there solved it for me. Can't use the most recent version of forge for 1.7.10, doesn't like minechem, or at least that version of minechem. Version of forge you need is 10.13.2.1291. Also to get the world to generate correctly you need to make your own world folder and put the files from Template in there, and then take the PerfectSpawn.json file out of the world folder and put in the main server folder.

Attachments

• fml-server-latest.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Aw man, cookies are in the legendary bag reward table in the latest update? I wonder if there are any bags in 1.0.4 that are worth spamming. I grew legendary bags for a while but after getting two full inventories of yellorium blocks I decided to give it a rest.

Questwizard

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I had 300k yellorium blocks by the time I finished what I did, but nowhere near enough resources to build a massive reactor. I'm thinking I'll just power everything off the 220 64x survivalist gens I also got given how easy it is to get 100k charcoal blocks.

EDIT: I made pretty good use of 100 of them while I was finishing the UU section of the chemistry because that puny 15kRF/t reactor wasn't keeping up with the tens of millions of RF it needs per operation at those levels. I've actually tore the reactor down now until I get enough iron to build a better one.

Also, on the redstone shortage some people seem to have: I had so much redstone that I didn't even know what to do with it all. Most of it was harvested in block form and not from ores either.

EDIT2: I had so much redstone I wasted ~5k more of it on haste for my uberpick. It now has such a high mining speed that it instant mines obsidian while flying. Total amount of redstone modifier applied is 6100, mining speed is 7887.02. RIP obsidian sphere.

Last edited:

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
why would you tear down the sphere around the place?

i mean I build a vertical 80 row cocoa bean farm like direwolf did with steves factory manager thingys... i had so many manchine usable watering cans i just decides to go bonkers

yoyodawulf

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever I open reward bags I get only seeds or tinkers shards or chunks. when did reward bags change from tools and useful items (as I saw in Direwolf and Pahimar's playthrough) to just seeds and other not so rewarding rewards. Is there any way to change them back, such as a config?

I really want to enjoy the pack but this reward bag situation is killing the fun vibe for me.

Reactions: immibis

parcel31u

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a version of Fluxed Crystals that's less buggy, and should be drop-in-compatible in the current modpack (unlike the actual latest Fluxed Crystals, which has some mechanics changes and block ID changes). If you install this, remember to delete the old version.

I haven't tested it thoroughly though, but it seems to work at a quick glance. I can finally have my FC stuff inside a compact machine without having to stand inside the machine all the time!

Paging @parcel31u.

Edit: You also need to go to <modpack folder>/minecraft/config/fluxedCrystals, and rename ME4.json to d_ME4.json.
Apparently version H loads JSON files in case-sensitive alphabetical order, but version L is case insensitive (and version H was in the modpack before, and my fixed one is based on version L), so if you don't rename this file, then the JSON files load in a different order, and crystal type IDs get assigned differently, which breaks some quests and reward bags.

Just say this lol Maybe you should make Material Energy XP

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever I open reward bags I get only seeds or tinkers shards or chunks. when did reward bags change from tools and useful items (as I saw in Direwolf and Pahimar's playthrough) to just seeds and other not so rewarding rewards. Is there any way to change them back, such as a config?

I really want to enjoy the pack but this reward bag situation is killing the fun vibe for me.

The bags might be garbage now but when you notice the cookie quest, be glad that you can get septuble compressed cookies from legendary bags, that quest was the worst back a handful of versions but now it is the easiest since you can grow legendary reward bags and get torcherinos (to speed up the bag growth) fairly easily by getting octuple compressed cobble from the Deep Dark, turn in the quest and you get 10 torches, once you get tired of opening bags and getting 10,000 Yellorium blocks often just cut a hole into the void and fill inventory slots with the septuple cookies as you open bags and let all the other stuff fall into the void

I think the black stained glass now takes the longest time and most of that time is spent getting glass, the 125,000 ink sacks is easy with AE/Minechem all you need is a decent amount sugar cane for carbon/oxygen and hydrogen which makes carbon black which makes ink sacks

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
The bags might be garbage now but when you notice the cookie quest, be glad that you can get septuble compressed cookies from legendary bags, that quest was the worst back a handful of versions but now it is the easiest since you can grow legendary reward bags and get torcherinos (to speed up the bag growth) fairly easily by getting octuple compressed cobble from the Deep Dark, turn in the quest and you get 10 torches, once you get tired of opening bags and getting 10,000 Yellorium blocks often just cut a hole into the void and fill inventory slots with the septuple cookies as you open bags and let all the other stuff fall into the void

Well, Autonomus Activator, on first slot only click, filled with cobble except the first slot and a vacum chest does the trick without you ever have to stand next to it. and then void the things you dont want into an chest that feeds an matter condencer

yoyodawulf

Jul 29, 2019

I think the black stained glass now takes the longest time and most of that time is spent getting glass, the 125,000 ink sacks is easy with AE/Minechem all you need is a decent amount sugar cane for carbon/oxygen and hydrogen which makes carbon black which makes ink sacks
Ok I am getting a bunch of legendary bags but I am yet to get any torcherinos or wings or anything. What am I doing wrong?

SilverDk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting weird stuff from all the rewards bags on 1.5
All reward bags basically give me head of some you tubers. And whenever I press 'R' to sort my inventory, all my equipment will be unequip and the pumpkin head will be auto equip (I got the pumpkin head when start new game). Anyone have the same problem?