[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Didn't get approved. I didn't use Twitch to load the pack. since then I've had terrible internet. serves me right for foolishly going with vodafail........... I've finally got some internet, first time in over a week so found your reply.

On the positive side, its given me a chance to make even more changes to the original since it has a new name anyway. Its much more versatile than the original with less emphasis on growing crops. Its been a balancing act though trying not to make changes that are similar to the follow up pack. I'm trying to keep them as different to each other as I can.

I'm including a spoiler of the major changes so far. There's lots of other smaller changes under the hood as well that don't require mentioning.

1: Renamed Marooned to ???? as someone else managed to use the name Marooned for their new pack. Also renamed the version to 1.0.0 as it now has a new name making it a new pack. Updated the custom menu to reflect the new name and also changed the alternating image to the Ice Plains as there is no longer a biome that shows red sand on its surface.

2: Fixed not being able to get into the End Portal from the skyplatform.

3: Removed Cold Taiga due to mobs not spawning on snow. Changed Savanna's red sand to its own savanna sand and changed the main image in the HQM to the new savanna sand. This now leaves only the Ice Plains having red sand under its hardened ice layer.

4: Removed all oasis's with the exception of the Savanna. Added a possible horse den to the larger oasis to give savanna players a chance to breed them from a more desirable location.

5: Gave each smaller oasis the possibility of a different kind of fruit to give this biome a unique flavour. Players will generally have to travel long distances in order to find them.

6: Changed the original oasis jungle wood to ghost wood to keep the intended flow of this biome on track.

7: Added jungle logs with cocoa growing on them to some shelters and dungeons in the jungle biome to give it a special bonus the other biomes don't have.

8: Increased red sand layers to 3 in Ice Plains to allow players to make 'safe' tunnels under the ice layer.

9: Gave each flatlands biome an individual Spud to better reflect the difficulty each biome provides. Also added active Nether gate to SPUDS to discourage players from entering the nether before they have opened the gate blocking it. Added warning notice in disclaimer about danger of using their own gate. Also changed Nether Daze Quest to reflect the new gate changes. NB: Some SPUD's now open much sooner than previously. Its a good idea to check the main entrance to see if some areas have opened.

10: Altered Temples so they no longer contain nether gates. Instead they contain randomly spawned hanging 'heads' along with extra treasures to encourage players to enter them. Made mention of it in the 'NEWS' section of the Disclaimer.

11: Made an area in the Ice Plains biome SPUD that opens after the TAINT NUTTIN quest is completed to allow players in this harsh environment to grow their oreberries in relative safety.

12: Made recipe for packed ice using snow. [This allows players to replace packed ice in the Ice Plains biome if they want an area to remain untouched, or if they simply want to build something in any biome using packed ice.

13: Added randomly spawned large volcanoes to the sky platform biome that float on the ocean to give players an alternative way to find Lava Slimes.

14: Changed the sandstone quests to require less sand as its an early quest that rewards players with an axe.

15: Decided to limit each biome to just 2 specific gardens in order to create a greater difference between each biome. Although the sky platform also has only 2 specific gardens, they will be randomly generated from any of the 4 Flatlands biomes, giving the sky platform more variety for subsequent playthroughs. NB: This reduces the number of quests that require hand ins but also reduces the number of available recipes that can be made.

16: Added an extra repeatable quest to allow players to get extra gardens in the event they manage to accidentally harvest them all. Unlinked killing quests from gardens now that there are multiple ones for each section. Linked killing quests to each other and other mainline quests to delay their availability when required. Also reworded the crop hand-ins to let players know there was no hurry to complete them.

17: Updated hidden recipe challenges to only include recipes that can be done with the crops available for each particular group of gardens along with vanilla crops.

18: Restricted fruit/nut sapling rewards to just 6 varieties. Two are automatic rewards. One is a choice between the 4 most useful palm type trees and the other 3 are a choice between the remaining most useful fruit trees NB: Although this might seem too restrictive, the idea is to give players a choice of saplings to grow without them having to create a huge area for their orchard. This number of trees makes it possible to set up just one automatic harvester to service the entire orchard.

19: Changed a number of food recipes to allow players to make some of them using the restricted crops now available. Also changed food requirements for Goth girl to foods all biomes will have.

20: Added some food ingredients to some reward bags and certain quests to give players an opportunity to get some ingredients they might not have access to in their particular biome.

21: Added free cranberry and rice seeds to latter quests to allow player to more easily complete the repeatable seed and crop quests on the secrets page. NB: This still requires the player to complete at least one of the quests first time around though. Also added new quests for growing said crops from the seeds.

22: Reduced garden drops from 5 to 4 now that they are mainly used for voluntary recipe making. This makes converting cotton to cloth's a more streamlined operation as players won't have to worry about the left over piece they formally were left with.

23: Made melons harvestable using an axe.

24: Replaced all hanging oreberries in ruins with iron ingots or actual planted oreberries. This now ensures that new unplanted oreberries have to come via the Taint Nuttin. It also encourages exploring early to find much needed iron ingots.

25: Changed making paperbark saplings to an exotic seed due to it having jungle leaves. This also makes it somewhat easier to get as sand can be readily obtained via a cobblestone generator which the player should have shortly after getting a sieve. It also makes it less labour intensive for players who want more than just one. NB: Rubber saplings are now made using birch seeds. Also changed wording in disclaimer feedback to show paperbark now comes from exotic seeds.

26: Changed watering can offer in the Ore Inspiring quest to 4 raw plastic in order to make the choice more evenly matched.

27: Changed the stick in the mortar and Pestle to a [Tinkers] stone tool rod so that player will need to choose whether they will make the saw or M&P first. Added 2 extra stone shards to intermediate quests so both can still be made without needing to have a Stencil Table and Part Builder first, as stone tool rods can also be made using a Part Builder.

28: Linked POT LUCK and GRINDING TALE to the FISHING FRENZY and EYES HAVE IT quests so that the mortar&pestle quest will probably already be open when the saw quest comes available to allow the player a distinctive choice of how to use the first 2 stone shards they receive. NB: This is required so that players who wish to also make a watering can can decide whether they will make the M&P sooner in order to make more bonemeal.

29 Added extra gravel in some early flat lands rewards to give player enough material to make clay for the M&P without having to make a cobblestone generator first.

30: Updated rapier exchange to weapons that are more evenly matched and have significant improvements on the previous ones.

31: Added auto repair to the long and broad swords in the 'Building a Reputation' quest and changed them to flint to prolong its use during the early game establishment phase.

32: Changed the shortbow quest rewards to various already levelled up shortbows to give players something new to try out.

33: Included more variety in the level ups for weapons and bows. Also changed % chance so that less desirable traits only have a very rare chance of occurring.

34: Increased tinkers tools/weapons 'descriptive' level ups from 5 to 9. Increased random modifiers from 5 to 6. Limited manual modifiers to just one in the final level up. NB: The idea is for the random bonuses to be predominant, but to give the player an opportunity to add their favourite modifier in the event an otherwise great weapon/tool didn't get it.

35: Changed Foiled Again to require both First Blood and Ore Inspiring to be completed to give the rapier more time to level up before being available to trade in.

36: Changed linking of both bow hand in's from First Blood to Building a Reputation to allow enough time for players to get their first crop gardens from fishing which should trigger the secret recipes. If this is triggered first then the Secrets Revealed page will open to a blank page unless a secret recipe has already been discovered.

37: Changed the latter stages of the safari quest to make it easier to complete by combining the last 5 stages into just 2, effectively eliminating 12 of the original 20 more difficult mob requirements.

38: Removed Agricraft, MyFit and Small Boats from mod. Updated ruins to remove agricraft items along with Pams fruit and nut saplings.

39: Removed Extra Utilities Micro Blocks due to the saw glitching and duplicating the saw with each crafting. Added new custom items 'saw' that takes different damage depending on what item is crafted.

40: Made glowstone slab to help compensate the loss of the glowstone covers that could be made with original saw. This will allow players to have a light giving cover on the water supply for their crops without it blocking them when walking over it.

41: Made recipe for sink and replaced the now defunct MyFit quest with it. NB: Although its expensive, it provides a permanent supply of water which is otherwise not available in this pack.

42: Replaced Xeros minimap with Voxels NO RADAR map to bring back sense of danger. Increased waypoint viewing distances to 2500 metres.

43: Changed recipe for wooden bowl to only accept acacia wood and mixing bowl to require orange dyed planks. Changed some early rewards to help player get ingredients required to make dyed planks.

44: Removed Catwalks and Storage Drawers mods to create a greater difference between both packs, as ?-Again has catwalks and no railcraft and storage drawers but no BB's.

45: Changed the trigger of the garden bushes to an actual crop that is given at the same time as the gardens in the GOURMET GARDENER quests to ensure that if it doesn't initially trigger the secret recipe quests, it will eventually as these crops will continually be collected by the player.

46: Replaced ingot requirement in ORE INSPIRING to nuggets to speed up this early section of the game and reduce the huge wait between the killing quests. Moved the spruce seed to the BUILDING A REPUTATION killing quest to slow down the progress of the sieve as it would otherwise be able to be done too early.

47: Linked final Treasure Hunt chests to the IMP quests and Don't Get Lost to prolong the time it takes to get the Travellers Armor. Also added a new Skeleton Key they'll need to make to retrieve their prize.

48: Changed Vibrant crystal to recipe that will take time to gather all ingredients to slow the progression of the Dark Steel Armor as its used in the first required upgrade. Without this all other armors in between could be ignored along the way.

49: Made new vibrant emerald that replaces the vibrant crystal in all other recipes. Its recipe is exactly the same as the former crystal recipe.

50: Had to make an alternative recipe for ender crystals as its only other recipe that requires using a vibrant crystal in a soul binder.

51: Made alternative recipes for the angel wings for players who do not wish to use unstable ingots.

52: Added separate TAINT NUTTIN for skyworld that has hand ins that can be found in the nether. Also changed their repeat time to 8 days to compensate for reduced Ore Inspiring quest.

53: Changed RECALL REQUIREMENT so that once its completed, a new quest titled THE BECKONNING TWILIGHT will open offering players an alternative option to search for key fragments that will remove the gate on the Twilight Forest portal. Its not a rigid either or as they can also choose to do a combination of both Nether and Twilight quests as it suits them.

54: Made all portals that lead to Nether and Twilight Forest, blastproof.

So to sum up, I'm still hopeful of getting this pack published. I believe the amount of changes that have been made to the original pack will make it play differently enough to warrant another playthru for anyone who played it before.

Cheers.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
any chance we can get this pack somewhere yet? and if so, what is the new name? :)

I might have to do what I did with the 'Again' update and just get interested players to PM me for the download address. I tried uploading again and their system chucked a wobbly. They want you to use only their approved mods and include them into your pack via their special site. Two problems with this. The first being it only showed 3 pages of mods and had NO button to show more so I wasn't even able to get beyond the first 3 pages. The second problem is they don't offer a choice of versions which WILL break this mod. So unless I can find a way to get my pack uploaded in its entirety, I either have to find a workaround or abandon trying to use Curse.

I might see if the legacy launcher is still accepting updates and/or new packs as its simply too much work trying to update every single mod to fit in with the curse requirements. It might sound like updating it all would be simple but some mod updates break the current HQM quests and can even change the nature of the way the pack plays.

ANyway, I gotta go somewhere now so will continue this later.

Cheers.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
is it not possible to do the FTB launcher with a pack code or something like that?

That's my alternate possible option. FTB has become part of the Curse group and may not be accepting new packs or even updates. The original Marooned on the FTB legacy launcher is currently version 1.54. There is no update beyond this as I discovered another pack creator has released their own Marooned game which effectively prevents me from releasing my pack on Curse under its origianl name as they don't allow duplicate names. First in first served so to speak.

I've since renamed my pack to another unique name and changed the wording etc pertaining to marooned to the new name. This may cause a problem if i now try to 'update' marooned 1.54 on the legacy launcher with a brand new name.

I can however pm them and see if they are accepting new packs. I'm also hoping to find a way to get Curse to accept both packs using the mod versions they were created under. I'm enjoying testing out the origian version with ll the changes. It certainly plays differently now. Less waiting around except in the very beginning when it should take time to get established. There are now over 70 changes since changing the name.

I'll continue to put updates on here. In the meantime if anyone wants to try the new original Marooned pack under its new guise, pm me and I'll send a download link....

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm beached ? :)....

No no no, not beached. In fact there isn't really a beach in sight.......

I have to say though that I actually prefer the new name so even if the old one became available again, I wouldn't change back...

As I've already tried to upload the new pack with its new name to curse, I'm hoping that just having the new website with the new title will have reserved it and prevent anyone else using the name on curse.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
any idea when the pack goes live and what is the new name?
:):)
The pack is ready to go live, I just have to get it uploaded and approved. Curse don't make it easy with their restrictive system and unless I can get them to approve my pack with its current mods including their sometimes 'outdated' versions, then I'm stuck....

I guess since its either not likely to make it onto Curse anyway, and I've already at least made a page with the new name and they at the very least now have the new name in their system, it should be okay to let you know its new name.

It took a while to come up with something that would fit in with the current theme of being a gameshow that has an audience and contestants. Previously they 'signed' up to be contestants and it was incumbent on them to make themselves aware of all the conditions required by attending the 3 minute seminar held in the sub basement. Those conditions have now changed to ALL audience members attending the seminar prior to coming on the show. Anyone that fails to attend or decides not to sign a form stating they do not give permission to become a contestant, run the risk of being SHANGHAIED and sent to one of our fiendishly designed worlds to compete for the ultimate prize.

Its also a reflection on the theme that someone took it on themselves to shanghai our marooned name. So that's how the new name was born.

So if anyone wants to try out the original Marooned with its now more than 75 changes along with a new name, just send me a message and I'll send you a link to download it. Its about as different to Marooned 1.54 as that was to Marooned 1.00

Cheers.............

PS: Shanghaied Again is also almost ready for release. I just want to make a few minor changes first......

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Am i right that both packs still use twilight forest?

That's right. Apart from not finding a suitable replacement for the TF while designing Shanghaied Again, I figured there might be people playing SA who never played the original. Besides, in SA I decided to make the TF available much earlier thanks to a suggestion from cannajan who had kindly been testing SA while it was still going by the name of Marooned Again. Of course while fiddling with the original I decided to do the same with it as well as it was such a good idea.

Then when I was 'forced' to rename Marooned I came up with the idea of restricting the Pams crops as I remembered what a pain it was dealing with sooooo many different crops that I wondered how it would play if there were only a few available for each biome. Turns out it makes it more interesting not having to grow crops just to progress through the mainline quests . One thing led to another and before long I was making changes all over the place, my main problem being that I really wanted to keep it as different from the sequel as possible which meant NOT making certain changes that had already been implemented in the sequel. Juggling act but I'm satisfied with how both have turned out.

But knowing me, I'll probably still be making changes, even after its officially released, if that ever happens, lol.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Reason I asked is because I am always interested to persuade the admins of our network to host a good pack, unfortunately Twilight Forest is one of those mods we usually disable due to the fact that due to its poor implementation even a single player in the TF creates enough lag to make a server unplayable. We usually add recipes to make the important stuff craftable, but if the questbook contains dimension detection quests or kill quests, that makes things a bit more complicated.

Other than that of course playerspecific quest-features like the questgates are not helping either.

Your packs work perfectly in Singleplayer or on a small server with a group of friends, but not so much on a server with 20+ players and multiple quest groups.

Please don't see this as a criticism, it is simply a statement. There are other excellent packs, like most of the Material Energy packs, Blightfall, Obscurity, just to name a few, that also don't work in such an environment.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
It took a while to come up with something that would fit in with the current theme of being a gameshow that has an audience and contestants. Previously they 'signed' up to be contestants and it was incumbent on them to make themselves aware of all the conditions required by attending the 3 minute seminar held in the sub basement. Those conditions have now changed to ALL audience members attending the seminar prior to coming on the show. Anyone that fails to attend or decides not to sign a form stating they do not give permission to become a contestant, run the risk of being SHANGHAIED and sent to one of our fiendishly designed worlds to compete for the ultimate prize.

This bit always reminded me of the part in H2G2 where the plans for the bypass were 'on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.' ;D

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Reason I asked is because I am always interested to persuade the admins of our network to host a good pack, unfortunately Twilight Forest is one of those mods we usually disable due to the fact that due to its poor implementation even a single player in the TF creates enough lag to make a server unplayable. We usually add recipes to make the important stuff craftable, but if the questbook contains dimension detection quests or kill quests, that makes things a bit more complicated.

Other than that of course playerspecific quest-features like the questgates are not helping either.

Your packs work perfectly in Singleplayer or on a small server with a group of friends, but not so much on a server with 20+ players and multiple quest groups.

Please don't see this as a criticism, it is simply a statement. There are other excellent packs, like most of the Material Energy packs, Blightfall, Obscurity, just to name a few, that also don't work in such an environment.

I can see your problem. Although there are kill quests etc for the TF, they are all contained on their own page in the quest book. Same goes for the Nether. Its basically impossible to finish the pack without completing 'most' of the TF and Nether quests first. Having said that, there is only ever one TF portal in each biome that players cannot access until the gates on it have been opened. Although I've made them blast proof from creepers, its obviously possible to go into creative and break the gates over the portal. This has the effect of turning the portal into water, making going to the TF impossible, as I've disabled the ability to make new TF portals. This would eliminate any lag from using it.

The nether is different as there isn't a way to prevent making one that I've been able to find.

If a player were to host a world online, they could always 'break' the TF portal first if they wanted to remove the TF aspect from the game. The only other 'quest' that would then become inaccessible would the the final quest on the Winners Circle page. As a 'favour' I could always make a special edition with ALL TF portals already broken and the final quest NOT requiring any TF quests to be completed first.

I could also try to remove the TF page but no guarantees as the last time I tried that it removed nearly all the other quests in the book. Beats me why, but that was a big deciding factor in why I left it in for Shanghaied Again.

Probably wouldn't be what you're looking for but its better than nothing I guess. Anyway, while I'm here I thought you all might like a glimpse of what's been changed since the last update. I keep thinking I've run out of ideas but then something else occurs to me and I wind up adding it............

NB: We first released this pack under the name of Marooned which can still be found on the FTB Legacy Launcher. Although we would have preferred to retain the original name, it has since been used by another pack creator who has released their totally unrelated version on Curse. To avoid any confusion we decided to rename our pack to Shanghaied which as far as we can ascertain hasn't been used elsewhere in a minecraft pack. Since we were releasing our pack under a new name, we decided to update some of its features as listed below.

------------------------------------
1: Renamed Marooned to Shanghaied as someone else managed to shanghai the name Marooned for their new pack. Also renamed the version to 1.0.0 as it now has a new name making it a new pack. Updated the custom menu to reflect the new name and also changed the alternating image to the Ice Plains as there is no longer a biome that shows red sand on its surface.

2: Fixed not being able to get into the End Portal from the sky platform.

3: Removed Cold Taiga due to mobs not spawning on snow. Changed Savanna's red sand to its own savanna sand and changed the main image in the HQM to the new savanna sand. This now leaves only the Ice Plains having red sand under its hardened ice layer.

4: Removed all oasis's with the exception of the Savanna. Added a possible horse den to the larger oasis to give savanna players a chance to breed them from a more desirable location.

5: Gave each smaller oasis the possibility of a different kind of fruit to give this biome a unique flavour. Players will generally have to travel long distances in order to find them.

6: Changed the original oasis jungle wood to ghost wood to keep the intended flow of this biome on track.

7: Added jungle logs with cocoa growing on them to some shelters and dungeons in the jungle biome to give it a special bonus the other biomes don't have.

8: Increased red sand layers to 3 in Ice Plains to allow players to make 'safe' tunnels under the ice layer.

9: Gave each flatlands biome an individual Spud to better reflect the difficulty each biome provides. Also added active Nether gate to SPUDS to discourage players from entering the nether before they have opened the gate blocking it. Added warning notice in disclaimer about danger of using their own gate. Also changed Nether Daze Quest to reflect the new gate changes. NB: Some SPUD's now open much sooner than previously. Its a good idea to check the main entrance to see if some areas have opened.

10: Altered Temples so they no longer contain nether gates. Instead they contain randomly spawned hanging 'heads' along with extra treasures to encourage players to enter them. Made mention of it in the 'NEWS' section of the Disclaimer.

11: Made an area in the Ice Plains biome SPUD that opens after the TAINT NUTTIN quest is completed to allow players in this harsh environment to grow their oreberries in relative safety.

12: Made recipe for packed ice using snow. [This allows players to replace packed ice in the Ice Plains biome if they want an area to remain untouched, or if they simply want to build something in any biome using packed ice.

13: Added randomly spawned large volcanoes that float on the ocean to the sky platform biome to give players an alternative way to find Lava Slimes.

14: Changed the sandstone quests to require less sand as its an early quest.

15: Decided to limit each biome to just 2 specific gardens in order to create more variety between each biome. Although the sky platform also has only 2 specific gardens, they will be randomly generated from any of the 4 Flatlands biomes, giving the sky platform more variety for subsequent playthroughs. NB: This reduces the number of quests that require hand ins but also reduces the number of available recipes that can be made.

16: Added an extra repeatable quest to allow players to get extra gardens in the event they manage to accidentally harvest them all. Unlinked killing quests from gardens now that there are multiple ones for each section. Linked killing quests to each other and other mainline quests to delay their availability when required. Also reworded the crop hand-ins to let players know there was no hurry to complete them.

17: Updated hidden recipe challenges to only include recipes that can be done with the crops available for each particular group of gardens along with vanilla crops.

18: Restricted fruit/nut sapling rewards to just 6 varieties. Two are automatic rewards. One is a choice between the 4 most useful palm type trees and the other 3 are a choice between the remaining most useful fruit trees NB: Although this might seem too restrictive, the idea is to give players a choice of saplings to grow without them having to create a huge area for their orchard. This number of trees makes it possible to set up just one automatic harvester to service the entire orchard.

19: Changed a number of food recipes to allow players to make some of them using the restricted crops now available. Also changed food requirements for Goth girl to foods all biomes will have.

20: Added some food ingredients to some reward bags and certain quests to give players an opportunity to get some ingredients they might not have access to in their particular biome.

21: Added free cranberry and rice seeds to latter quests to allow player to more easily complete the repeatable seed and crop quests on the secrets page. NB: This still requires the player to complete at least one of the quests first time around though. Also added new quests for growing said crops from the seeds.

22: Reduced garden drops from 5 to 4 now that they are mainly used for voluntary recipe making. This makes converting cotton to cloth's a more streamlined operation as players won't have to worry about the left over piece they formally were left with.

23: Made melons harvestable using an axe.

24: Replaced all hanging oreberries in ruins with iron ingots or actual planted oreberries. This now ensures that new unplanted oreberries have to come via the Taint Nuttin. It also encourages exploring early to find much needed iron ingots.

25: Changed making paperbark saplings to an exotic seed due to it having jungle leaves. This also makes it somewhat easier to get as sand can be readily obtained via a cobblestone generator which the player should have shortly after getting a sieve. It also makes it less labour intensive for players who want more than just one. NB: Rubber saplings are now made using birch seeds. Also changed wording in disclaimer feedback to show paperbark now comes from exotic seeds.

26: Changed watering can offer in the Ore Inspiring quest to 4 raw plastic in order to make the choice more evenly matched.

27: Changed the stick in the mortar and Pestle to a [Tinkers] stone tool rod so that player will need to choose whether they will make the saw or M&P first. Added 2 extra stone shards to intermediate quests so both can still be made without needing to have a Stencil Table and Part Builder first, as stone tool rods can also be made using a Part Builder.

28: Delayed the saw quest so that the mortar&pestle quest will probably already be open when the saw quest comes available to allow the player a distinctive choice of how to use the first 2 stone shards they receive. NB: This is required so that players who wish to also make a watering can can decide whether they will make the M&P sooner in order to make more bonemeal.

29 Added extra gravel in some early flat lands rewards to give player enough material to make clay for the M&P without having to make a cobblestone generator first.

30: Updated rapier exchange to weapons that are more evenly matched and have significant improvements on the previous ones.

31: Added auto repair to the long and broad swords in the 'Building a Reputation' quest and changed them to flint to prolong its use during the early game establishment phase.

32: Changed the shortbow quest rewards to various already levelled up shortbows to give players something new to try out.

33: Included more variety in the level ups for weapons and bows. Also changed % chance so that less desirable traits only have a very rare chance of occurring.

34: Increased tinkers tools/weapons 'descriptive' level ups from 5 to 18. Added an extra random modifier to the existing 5. The final 3 modifiers take longer to be awarded. A manual modifier is awarded when player reaches Legendary status. A second is awarded when the tool/weapon reaches level 18.
NB: The idea is for the random bonuses to be predominant, but to give the player an opportunity to add their favourite modifiers in the event an otherwise great weapon/tool didn't get the ones they really wanted.

35: Changed Foiled Again to require both First Blood and Ore Inspiring to be completed to give the rapier more time to level up before being available to trade in.

36: Changed linking of both bow hand in's from First Blood to Building a Reputation to allow enough time for players to get their first crop gardens from fishing which should trigger the secret recipes. If this is triggered first then the Secrets Revealed page will open to a blank page unless a secret recipe has already been discovered.

37: Changed the latter stages of the safari quest to make it easier to complete by combining the last 5 stages into just 2, effectively eliminating 12 of the original 20 more difficult mob requirements.

38: Removed Agricraft, MyFit and Small Boats from mod. Updated ruins to remove agricraft items along with Pams fruit and nut saplings.

39: Removed Extra Utilities Micro Blocks due to the saw glitching and duplicating the saw with each crafting. Added new custom items 'saw' that takes different damage depending on what item is crafted.

40: Made glowstone slab to help compensate the loss of the glowstone covers that could be made with original saw. This will allow players to have a light giving cover on the water supply for their crops without it blocking them when walking over it.

41: Made recipe for sink and replaced the now defunct MyFit quest with it. NB: Although its expensive, it provides a permanent supply of water which is otherwise not available in this pack.

42: Replaced Xeros minimap with Voxels NO RADAR map to bring back sense of danger. Increased waypoint viewing distances to 5000 metres.

43: Changed recipe for wooden bowl to only accept either acacia or bloodwood and mixing bowl to require orange dyed planks. Changed some early rewards to help player get ingredients required to make dyed planks.

44: Removed Catwalks and Storage Drawers mods to create a greater difference between both packs, as Shanghaied-Again has catwalks and storage drawers but no railcraft or BB's.

45: Changed the trigger of the garden bushes to an actual crop that is given at the same time as the gardens in the GOURMET GARDENER quests to ensure that if it doesn't initially trigger the secret recipe quests, it will eventually as these crops will continually be collected by the player.

46: Replaced ingot requirement in ORE INSPIRING to nuggets to speed up this early section of the game and reduce the huge wait between the killing quests. Moved the spruce seed to the BUILDING A REPUTATION killing quest to slow down the progress of the sieve as it would otherwise be able to be done too early.

47: Linked final Treasure Hunt chests to the DON'T GET LOST and IMP quests to prolong the time it takes to get the Travellers Armor. Also added a new Skeleton Key they'll need to make to retrieve their prize.

48: Changed Vibrant crystal to recipe that will take time to gather all ingredients to slow the progression of Dark Steel Armor as its used in the first required upgrade. Without this all other armors in between could be ignored along the way.

49: Made new vibrant emerald that replaces the vibrant crystal in all other recipes. Its recipe is exactly the same as the former crystal recipe. [Changed pinata drop from VC to VE]

50: Had to make an alternative recipe for ender crystals as its the only other recipe that requires using a vibrant crystal in a soul binder.

51: Made alternative recipes for the angel wings for players who do not wish to use unstable ingots.

52: Added separate TAINT NUTTIN for skyworld that has hand ins that can be found in the nether. Also changed their repeat time to 8 days to compensate for reduced Ore Inspiring quest.

53: Changed RECALL REQUIREMENT so that once its completed, a new quest titled THE BECKONNING TWILIGHT will open offering players an alternative option to search for key fragments that will remove the gate on the Twilight Forest portal. Its not a rigid either or as they can also choose to do a combination of both Nether and Twilight quests as it suits them.

54: Made all portals leading to the TF blastproof from creepers.

55: Changed gravel and nether gravel drops to flint shards.

56: Added 2 free iron berries to the Sky platform biome due to the probability the first Taint Nuttin will take longer to complete.

57: Relocated the Twilight Portal in the Sky Platform to keep it closer in line with the flat worlds.

58: Added netherrack as optional reward in a couple of the sky platform quests for players who wish to plant their specialist nether bushes in the overworld before they are actually able to mine it themselves.

59: Added silkworms as optional reward in the skyworld biome for players who wish to make infested leaves for arrow making.

60: Removed crafting of paper bindings to prevent players circumventing the new automatic upgrade system incorporated for tools/swords. Players can still craft paper tools/weapons that give them a single modifier as paper tools already came with very little durability that offsets the advantage of an early modifier.

61: Reduced stick and bone values when used as handle for tools/weapons to encourage players to make actual tool rods to make or upgrade their tools/weapons.

62: Changed recipe for reinforced watering can to slightly harder recipe due to its usefulness.

63: Added new custom items axe [Chopper] and shovel [Digger] so that players can make rudimentary tools earlier in their quest. Renamed HAMMER TIME quest to TOOL TIME with requirement to make these new tools instead of a hammer.

64: Changed cutting board recipe to require an unused chopper as part of its recipe.

65: Added a King Slime kill quest which also contains a slimeball hand in quest. NB: The hand in differs for the swampland biome.

66: Added a specialised Enderman kill quest to offset the king slime quest.

67: Removed free modifier from all but legendary tool/weapon reward bags to keep them in line with the new level up system.

68: Added optional key fragments to some quests for players having trouble finding enough to gain entry to the Twilight forest.

69: Made recipe to make a HEALER using key fragments and vibrant crystals. This is to maintain relevancy for the final repeatable killing quest that gives optional fragment rewards. Also changed the quest to instant cooldown.

70: Returned the Winners Circle to its original single quest requiring players to defeat the Ender Dragon which gives the pack a proper ending.

71: Added possible melon and pumpkin seeds as rewards in some quests for all worlds. This is to allow players to start growing these crops without having to rely on a lucky drop from sifting.

72: Changed the Ancient! quest so that players will now need to sift their soulsand for quartz and a nether wart as a physical reminder to how they can get nether warts that they'll need for future quests.

73: Changed reward bags given to just one to be shared when playing multi player. The pack is predominately designed for single player. While it does lend itself to multi player as well, having individual reward bags can too easily break the intended flow of the game, especially the ore berry rewards.

74: Added a zombie villager quest. Changed some recipes required for it to better ones. Moved the bow quests to the front page and have them open much sooner than before.

75: Split the Helter Smelter quest into 2 quests to speed up the line of quests that follow it.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
This bit always reminded me of the part in H2G2 where the plans for the bypass were 'on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.' ;D

I remember that. I thought, you can't fool me with that lame sign, I'm gunna go see what's really in there. That leopard sure enjoyed munching down on my leg that day. Anyway, gotta hop along and go get something to eat myself.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Thought you might be interested in hearing that I decided to have another crack at installing the Aether in place of the Twilight forest for one of the packs. Couldn't manage it for Shanghaied Again due to conflicts between it and BoP, but I did manage to get it working with Shanghaied, albeit with some of the existing mods having to be removed. I had to update forge sufficiently to make the Aether mod work which conflicted with some existing mods and i was only able to update some of them due to others no longer being available in a version that would slot successfully into the pack. EG: Thermal Expansion now only offers one version for 1.7.10 and its too advanced for the forge version I have updated to. I really needed to keep it as close as possible to the existing version to maintain the integrity of the rest of the pack. Besides, with every forge update, I have to update certain other mods which sometimes require complimentary mods like CoFh Core to be updated which then forces other mods to require updating and so it goes until i give up... Very complicated but so far its working. I'm having to completely re-write the quest book due to the existing one no longer remaining editable.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm hoping to get a working prototype finished sometime in the next couple of months, I still have to play the Aether and make suitable quests for it which will take some time. who knows, when its finished it might even work on a server with 20+ players.............

Happy New Year everyone... Stay safe..............

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway, bottom line is I'm hoping to get a working prototype finished sometime in the next couple of months, I still have to play the Aether and make suitable quests for it which will take some time. who knows, when its finished it might even work on a server with 20+ players.............

Happy New Year everyone... Stay safe..............

Thought it was time to give you an update as to where the new pack is. basically, its done! I've been testing and refining it for some time. Still have a problem getting it to sometimes recognise hardcore mode. I set it up, get it working, whack the save into the 'maps' folder and sometimes when I start a new game using the save, it says hardcore isn't setup. Other times its fine. Not sure what's causing it but so far haven't been able to nail the problem. Apart from that, the new pack is working great. I'm loving having the Aether as an alternative to the Twilight Forest as it now makes a much bigger difference to the upcoming Shanghaied Again pack which will be released after the new Shanghaied has been around for a reasonable time.

Anyway, I'm going to include the latest update files which have changed since the last lot for anyone interested in seeing what's new.

1: We first released this pack under the name of Marooned which can still be found on the FTB Legacy Launcher. Although we would have preferred to retain the original name, it has since been used by another pack creator who has released their totally unrelated version on Curse. To avoid any confusion we decided to rename our pack to Shanghaied which as far as we can ascertain hasn't been used elsewhere in a minecraft pack. Since we were releasing our pack under a new name, we decided to update some of its features as listed below, including starting from version 1.0.0.

2: Replaced the Twilight forest with the Aether and updated Forge version to 10.13.3.1428 which is the minimum version that the Aether works under. Also updated any existing mods that wouldn't work under the new Forge version.

3: Integrated the Aether quests into the main quest line so that players will have to visit and complete some Aether quests fairly early in order to continue along the main quest line. After that its mostly up to the player to decide the order in which they do quests. NB: The idea being that the Aether should initially be tackled while the player still has low level tools and weapons in order to make it at least a bit challenging. Most Aether quests are grouped on their own page in the quest book. The only exceptions are when there is a crossover involving both aether and overworld requirements in the same quest.

4: Made skyroot and holystone tools unusable so that players will need to continue using their regular tools and will need to make the regular suite of tool making tables before being able to obtain certain Aether materials that can make the more advanced Aether tools and weapons.

5: Added inactive Aether portal behind blastproof gates that are usually fairly close to the entrance of each spud. The Aether gate in the Sky Platform is easier to access than the flat worlds.

6: Changed RECALL REQUIREMENT so that once its completed, a new quest titled DUNGEON DESIRES will open offering players an alternative option to search for key fragments that will open up the Dungeon quests in the Aether. Its not a rigid either or as they can also choose to do a combination of both Nether and Aether quests as it suits them.

7: Made new Icy sand for Ice Plains that has a slight slipperiness to it. Replaced jungle biome with desert like Mesa biome that has red sand. Gave savanna its own sand that is similar to defunct jungle sand but lighter. Swamp biome remains unchanged. Removed Cold Taiga due to mobs not spawning on snow.

8: Gave each flatlands biome an individual Spud to better reflect the difficulty each biome provides. ALL Spuds now have blast proof slabs instead of the previous stairs that could be easily blown up by creepers. Also added active Nether gate to SPUDS to discourage players from entering the nether before they have opened the gate blocking it. Added warning notice in disclaimer about danger of using their own gate. Changed Nether Daze Quest to reflect the new gate changes. NB: SPUD's are now already open for immediate exploration and the gate leading to the stone underworld now opens much sooner offering an alternative way to get stone and ores.

9: Added randomly spawned large volcanoes to the sky platform biome that floats on the ocean to give players an alternative way to find Lava Slimes.

11: Removed all oasis's with the exception of the Savanna. Added a possible horse den to the larger oasis to give savanna players a chance to breed them from a more desirable location.

12: Gave each smaller oasis the possibility of a different kind of fruit to give this biome a unique flavour. Players will generally have to travel long distances in order to find them. Also changed the original oasis jungle wood to ghost wood to keep the intended flow of this biome on track.

13: Added jungle logs with cocoa growing on them to some witches Huts in the swamp biome to give it a special bonus the other biomes don't have. NB: The only way to now get cocoa in any biome is through sifting.

14: Made recipe for packed ice using snow or a combination of ice and blizz powder. This allows players to replace packed ice in the Ice Plains biome if they want a surface area to remain untouched, or if they simply want to build something in any biome using packed ice.

15: Added separate LUCKY DIP for skyworld that has hand ins that can be found in the nether. Also changed their repeat time to 8 days to compensate for reduced Ore Inspiring quest. Also added 2 free iron berries to the Sky platform biome due to the probability the first LUCKY DIP will take longer to complete.

16: Changed the ORE INSPIRING requirement to just handing in a qty of any type of ore berries to save on the player having to obtain all 5 varieties before being able to complete this early quest. This eliminates what was usually a huge wait between the first two killing quests. Moved the spruce seed to an Aether quest to maintain the previous pace of being able to make a sieve as it would otherwise be able to be done too early.

17: Changed the sandstone quests to require less sand as its an early quest.

18: Decided to limit each biome to just 2 specific gardens in order to create more variety between each biome. Although the sky platform also has only 2 specific gardens, they will be randomly generated from any of the 4 Flatlands biomes, giving the sky platform more variety for subsequent playthroughs. NB: This reduces the number of quests that require hand ins but also reduces the number of available recipes that can be made.

19: Added an extra repeatable quest to allow players to get extra gardens in the event they manage to accidentally harvest them all. Unlinked killing quests from gardens now that there are multiple ones for each section. Linked killing quests to each other and other mainline quests to delay their availability when required. Also reworded the crop hand-ins to let players know there is no hurry to complete them. NB: This quest also doubles as a way to get chicken spawn eggs for biomes that don't naturally spawn passive animals.

20: Updated hidden recipe challenges to only include recipes that can be done with the crops available for each particular group of gardens along with vanilla crops.

21: Restricted fruit/nut sapling rewards to just 5 varieties. Two are automatic rewards. One is a choice between the 4 most useful palm type trees and the other 2 are a choice between the remaining most useful fruit trees NB: Although this might seem too restrictive, the idea is to give players a choice of saplings to grow without them having to create a huge area for their orchard. This number of trees makes it possible to set up just one automatic harvester to service the entire orchard.

22: Changed a number of food recipes to allow players to make some of them using the restricted crops now available.

23: Added some food ingredients to some reward bags and certain quests to give players an opportunity to get some ingredients they might not have access to in their particular biome.

24: Added free cranberry and rice seeds to latter quests to allow player to more easily complete the repeatable seed and crop quests on the secrets page. NB: This still requires the player to complete at least one of the quests first time around though. Also added new quests for growing said crops from the seeds.

25: Reduced garden drops from 5 to 4 now that they are mainly used for voluntary recipe making. This makes converting cotton to cloth's a more streamlined operation as players won't have to worry about the left over piece they formally were left with.

26: Changed Elevator recipe to use cotton cloth instead of wool. Made new recipe to allow making cotton cloth using a combination of wool and string.

27: Changed Dark Ethereal Glass to just requiring white Ethereal glass and ink. Included new recipe for changing Dark Ethereal glass back to white using bonemeal.

28: Changed gravel and nether gravel drops to flint shards.

29: Removed paperbark sapling as a required quest and changed paper making back to reeds using a M&P. Sugar is now obtained by hanging sugar cane.

30: Changed the stick in the mortar and Pestle to a [Tinkers] stone tool rod so that players will need to choose whether they will make the saw or M&P first. Added 2 extra stone shards to intermediate quests so both can still be made without needing to have a Stencil Table and Part Builder first, as stone tool rods can also be made using a Part Builder.

31: Delayed the saw quest so that the mortar&pestle quest will probably already be open when the saw quest comes available to allow the player a distinctive choice of how to use the first 2 stone shards they receive. NB: This is required so that players who wish to also make a watering can can decide whether they will make the M&P sooner in order to make more bonemeal.

32: Added extra gravel in some early flat lands rewards to give player enough material to make clay for the M&P without having to make a cobblestone generator first.

33: Changed watering can offer in the Ore Inspiring quest to 4 raw plastic in order to make the choice more evenly matched. Also changed recipe for reinforced watering can to slightly harder recipe due to its usefulness.

34: Changed recipe for mixing bowl to orange ceramic dye. Changed some early rewards to help player get ingredients required to make orange dye.

35: Made the Rapier swap quest optional. Players can now choose to swap their rapier or do another simple quest which then turns the rapier quest into something else.

36: Added auto repair to the long and broad swords in the 'Building a Reputation' quest and changed them to flint to prolong its use during the early game establishment phase.

37: Moved the bow quests to the front page and have them open much sooner than before. Also changed the shortbow quest rewards to various already levelled up shortbows to give players something new to try out.

38: Included more variety in the level ups for weapons and bows. Also changed % chance so that less desirable traits only have a very rare chance of occurring. NB: This only works on version 2.11 Anything above 2.12 doesn't recognise changes to override configs. 2.12 doesn't recognise the Attack [Sharpness] upgrade and doesn't show colours of tinkers bows.

39: Increased tinkers tools/weapons 'descriptive' level ups from 5 to 18. Added an extra random modifier to the existing 5. The final 3 modifiers take longer to be awarded. Manual modifiers are awarded at levels 15 & 18.
NB: The idea is for the random bonuses to be predominant, but to give the player an opportunity to add their favourite modifiers in the event an otherwise great weapon/tool didn't get the ones they really wanted.

40: Removed free modifier from all tools/weapons in reward bags to keep them in line with the new level up system. NB: Tools/weapons given in Legendary bags still come with one free modifier already added.

41: Removed crafting of paper bindings to prevent players circumventing the new automatic upgrade system incorporated for tools/swords. Players can still craft paper tools/weapons that give them a single modifier as paper tools come with such little durability, it offsets the advantage of an early modifier.

42:Changed durability of sticks and bones to encourage players to make actual tool rods when modifying tool and weapons. This unfortunately also applies to wooden and bone tool rods as they are considered by Tinkers as being the same item.

43: Modified quests relating to furnaces and smelters to put them in a proper sequence. Also mentioned the process of using flowing lava and water to make a cobblestone generator.

44: Replaced Xeros minimap with Voxels NO RADAR map to bring back sense of danger. Increased waypoint viewing distances to 5025 metres.

45: Removed Agricraft, MyFit, Railcraft, Super Crafting Frame and Small Boats due to their not really being all that suited to this updated pack. Updated ruins accordingly.

46: Removed Catwalks and Storage Drawers mods to create a greater difference between both packs, as Shanghaied-Again has catwalks and storage drawers but no BB's.

47 Removed Buildcraft - Ender Storage - Eureka and ThermalExpansion due to not being able to get updates suitable for the updated forge version.

48: Removed Extra Utilities Micro Blocks due to the saw glitching and duplicating the saw with each crafting. Added new custom items 'saw' that takes different damage depending on what item is crafted.

49: Made glowstone slab to help compensate the loss of the glowstone covers that could be made with original saw. This will allow players to have a light giving cover on the water supply for their crops without it blocking them when walking over it.

50: Made recipe for sink and replaced the now defunct MyFit quest with it. NB: Although its slightly expensive, it provides a permanent supply of water which is otherwise not available in this pack.

51: Split the Helter Smelter quest into 2 quests to speed up the line of quests that follow Helter Smelter.

52: Linked final Treasure Hunt chests to the DON'T GET LOST and IMP quests to prolong the time it takes to get the Travellers Armor. Also added a new Skeleton Key required to retrieve the prize.

53: Changed Vibrant crystal to recipe that will take time to gather all ingredients to slow the progression of Dark Steel Armor as its used in the first required upgrade. Without this all other armors in between could be ignored along the way.

54: Made new vibrant emerald that replaces the vibrant crystal in all other recipes. Its recipe is exactly the same as the former crystal recipe. [Changed pinata drop from VC to VE]

55: Had to make an alternative recipe for ender crystals as its the only other recipe that requires using a vibrant crystal in a soul binder.

56: Made alternative recipes for the angel wings for players who do not wish to use unstable ingots.

57: Added optional key fragments to some quests for players having trouble finding enough to make those dungeon quests available.

58: Made recipe to make a HEALER using key fragments and vibrant crystals. This is to maintain relevancy for the final repeatable killing quest that gives optional fragment rewards. Also reduced cooldown time by half.

59: Added netherrack as optional reward in a couple of the sky platform quests for players who wish to plant their specialist nether bushes in the overworld before they are actually able to mine it themselves.

60: Added silkworms as optional rewards along with one silkworm as a regular reward in the skyworld biome for players who wish to make infested leaves for arrow making. Silkworms are now also used to create bee grubs to save on the frustration of having to wait long periods just to get a new one when none are produced during the production cycle of queen bees. There's also a new recipe for making silkworms using infested leaves and vinegar.

61: Spent bees are now fed royal jelly to re-activate them. Grubs are now either juiced into royal jelly or hung to become spent bees to allow expansion of apiaries.

62: Added new custom items Chopper [axe] and Digger [spade] so that players can make rudimentary tools earlier in their quest. Renamed HAMMER TIME quest to TOOL TIME with requirement to make these new tools instead of an iron hammer.

63: Changed cutting board recipe to require an unused chopper as part of its recipe.

64: Changed the Ancient! quest so that players will now need to sift their soulsand for quartz and a nether wart as a physical reminder to how they can get nether warts that they'll need for future quests.

65: Added a zombie villager quest. Changed some recipes required for it to more appropriate ones.

66: Added a King Slime kill quest which also contains a slimeball hand in quest. NB: The hand in differs for the swampland biome.

67: Added a specialised Enderman kill quest to offset the king slime quest in the flatlands. The Sky platform gets a slightly easier witch quest instead.

68: Added possible melon and pumpkin seeds as rewards in some quests for all worlds. This is to allow players to start growing these crops without having to rely on a lucky drop from sifting.

69: Changed reward bags given to just one to be shared when playing multi player. The pack is predominately designed for single player. While it does lend itself to multi player as well, having individual reward bags can too easily break the intended flow of the game, especially the ore berry rewards.

70: Changed ALL wells to give each one a random chance of having access to the stone layers below. They also include a possibility of containing a fragment hidden in a Treasure chest. The wells are now also surrounded with bedrock.

71: Brought forward opening of Chunky and Magnetic Personality quests to let players know about having their crops grow while offworld.

72: Changed the latter stages of the safari quest to make it easier to complete by combining the last 5 stages into just 2, effectively eliminating 12 of the original 20 more difficult mob requirements. Also added different Safari for the Skyworld to reflect its greater difficulty in finding special mobs.

73: Changed the secret recipes trigger to an actual crop that is given at the same time as the gardens in the GOURMET GARDENER quests to ensure that if it doesn't initially trigger the secret recipe quests, it will eventually as these crops will continually be collected by the player.

74: Made melons harvestable using an axe.

75: Returned the Winners Circle to its original single quest requiring players to defeat the Ender Dragon which gives the pack a proper ending.

As I had to completely rewrite the quest book from scratch, I occasionally find a quest that hasn't been filled out correctly and its taking me a lot of time finding them due to the fact its too easy to miss something when just reading through them. It really needs to be played to discover something that doesn't seem right. Doing it on my own is going to take a lot more time than if I manage to get some people willing to play it through and give me feedback on where they think it either needs improving or they find a quest that doesn't seem right or more importantly can't be completed due to not being written properly.

Sooooo, if anyone would like to test out the new pack, you can PM me and I'll send you a link.

Cheers.......

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Gave up with launchers?

Seems Curse won't let us use the mod versions required to run this pack. The ones they provide crash this pack so I'm at a standstill. We're currently looking at other launch sites.

In the meantime the pack has undergone multiple changes, lol. Just finishing up on the latest modifications. Its more streamlined than previously. I keep thinking, this is it, but then an idea floats on by and I wind up changing stuff.

If we ever find someone that will load our pack as it is, I'll let you know on here.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe we can host it on the mym launcher. But u would have to contact one of our founders for that. No promises