[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, thought it was the other way round, so that detection quests dont detect stuff shift-clicked out of the table. Then again I also had that issue with drying racks not being able to be handed into consume tasks, so maybe there are two different bugs.

Drying racks can change their id's after they have been placed and then unplaced. That's why in the Drying rack quest I mention you may have to make a new one to 'hand in'. Detection quests act differently in that they will require you to have the full required amount in your inventory before they will recognize you have completed the quest. This too is dependent on whether an item can change its id after being placed. Changing the 'detection' parameters doesn't always work either as sometimes it would mean accepting something I didn't want included and other times it would still not recognize an item based on it having changed its ID. I always try to make sure I test every quest to make sure it can be completed under all circumstances but sometimes I just won't think of a possibility at the time and it will slip past me.

Natura berries are a classic example of changing ID's after being placed, and one quest that got past me as I added it almost as an afterthought just before postingan update and used new berries to include them in the quest book. It was only after someone couldn't hand them in that I realized my mistake and had to do an interim update to solve the problem.

Having said this, I've just been going over and over and over checking the new update as I'm preparing to release it and regardless of how many times I've checked it, there is still a chance I've forgotten something or done something wrong and will have to fix it and release yet another update.

I always try to include new stuff to keep it interesting and this time around I've found myself removing some old stuff that really didn't need to be there and of course adding other stuff that should improve it somewhat. I'm sure someone will complain about what I've removed but I'm back to being restricted on not being able to add new quests without removing something. Gotta love the way HQM finds ways to keep me on my toes.......

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had reason to play around with Railcraft, it was never a serious focus in other modpacks I've played. currently the only Railcraft blocks I've bothered crafting were the obsidian slabs, which are great for making a exposed foot drop trap at the bottom of a grinder.

just a curious question but what are your thoughts on power generation (RF, EU and such). currently all the power generating engines seem unmodified from their defaults, I currently just makes banks of Stirling generators from Ender IO because they are really cheap and I can make lots of them around when I get access to machines which need power.

have you considered using one mod for energy generation and making it a quest line? not sure if other people think this would be fun or tasteful but if it was then making a working power supply would be a meaningful achievement to work towards rather than it being something we just have to deal with. Perhaps we could be given a starter survival generator (which has a very cheap but very limited power supply)

also what are peoples thoughts on the auto activator not requiring power to operate ( I believe there is a config option for this), should we have to pay for sieving work or should we have it for free.

I just think that power supply is something which is untouched currently in this pack and I am wondering if it would be better if there was a unifying theme it followed.

Last edited:
E

.eagle

Hey i cant find the modpack on the Curse launcher, FTB modpacks and all modpacks section?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had reason to play around with Railcraft, it was never a serious focus in other modpacks I've played. currently the only Railcraft blocks I've bothered crafting were the obsidian slabs, which are great for making a exposed foot drop trap at the bottom of a grinder.

just a curious question but what are your thoughts on power generation (RF, EU and such). currently all the power generating engines seem unmodified from their defaults, I currently just makes banks of Stirling generators from Ender IO because they are really cheap and I can make lots of them around when I get access to machines which need power.

have you considered using one mod for energy generation and making it a quest line? not sure if other people think this would be fun or tasteful but if it was then making a working power supply would be a meaningful achievement to work towards rather than it being something we just have to deal with. Perhaps we could be given a starter survival generator (which has a very cheap but very limited power supply)

also what are peoples thoughts on the auto activator not requiring power to operate ( I believe there is a config option for this), should we have to pay for sieving work or should we have it for free.

I just think that power supply is something which is untouched currently in this pack and I am wondering if it would be better if there was a unifying theme it followed.

I've never really played around with Railcraft either. SirJAH loves it and insisted it go into the pack. It wasn't until I made the intermediate level that I even included a couple of quests for it as I thought it might be a handy option for fast underground travel for players wanting to use it.

As for power generation, I didn't make a specific unifying theme as I've noticed even in this pack that players either already have their own favorite generation process or basically haven't used it before and simply want something that works. The 'Power to the People' quest gives players 2 alternative early power generation options and leaves it up to them whether they want to use them or try something else. The accompanying 'Pipe Down' quest covers power connection and item transferring using the 2 options. I personally tend to set up magmatic dynamo's as they're easy to use and once they're connected to a crucible or two being fed directly from an Igneous Extruder, I don't have to worry about them again.

Some things I've noticed as this pack has evolved is that experienced players often set up their own power generation before they even get to the quests that require it and really don't want to be told they should now make a bunch of machines they will never use. Its not feasible to have an entire quest line devoted to just one form of power generation because many players wouldn't want to do it that way. Imagine if I decided that you should have to use magmatic dynamos instead of stirling generators? Or perhaps only have access to extra Utilities generators and upgrade them as you progressed? Hmmm, now that's an idea!

I actually like the idea of there being a few machines that don't require power early in one's automation attempts. Adds an intermediate level while figuring out how things work. Well better get back to thinking about those EU generators..............

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i cant find the modpack on the Curse launcher, FTB modpacks and all modpacks section?

Marooned is currently only on the Public Packs section of FTB.

You can download it from your FTB Launcher by typing marooned into the third Party Packs section.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I was telling my friend about this pack but then when we went to look for the OLD FTB launcher we could not find any link to download it, all the ones I knew about seem to have been taken down.

is there a place where we still can DL the old launcher?

A

Alven4

Can you explain why is in the quest ONE TRACK MIND something like: "now you have access to intermediate level"? I have no idea how to get below bedrock (besides using twilight forest) and after I cleaned whole volcano, there wasn't a way how to get below the bedrock. Is the way in dungeon or where is it?
[Playing desolate desert]

I am quite unhappy about witch (cave) spiders and mobs in armor with thorns enchantment (or what enchantment is it) that one shot me once I shoot them with my crossbow from huge distance (they can't reach me nor throw a potion at me from that distance). In my opinion, they are extremely overpowered and they just steal revives from the player.

Last edited:
E

.eagle

I
Marooned is currently only on the Public Packs section of FTB.

You can download it from your FTB Launcher by typing marooned into the third Party Packs section.

Cant find the FTB launcher, when im on the FTB site i only see the curse launcher download so :/

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I

Cant find the FTB launcher, when im on the FTB site i only see the curse launcher download so :/

Look under the legacy launcher link

Yea I'm not sure why the old Launcher is now called the Legacy Launcher (was it really called this before or something?)
but I do feel kinda dumb, its basically hidden right in the exact spot it was before. I would have instantly understood if they had just called it Former Launcher or Old Launcher.

Oh well thanks for pointing this out.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Can you explain why is in the quest ONE TRACK MIND something like: "now you have access to intermediate level"? I have no idea how to get below bedrock (besides using twilight forest) and after I cleaned whole volcano, there wasn't a way how to get below the bedrock. Is the way in dungeon or where is it?
[Playing desolate desert]

I am quite unhappy about witch (cave) spiders and mobs in armor with thorns enchantment (or what enchantment is it) that one shot me once I shoot them with my crossbow from huge distance (they can't reach me nor throw a potion at me from that distance). In my opinion, they are extremely overpowered and they just steal revives from the player.

Basically the world is built with multiple layers. You start with the surface. Directly below the surface are 9 blocks consisting of sand, prismarine and bedrock. Below this is the intermediate level that is 4 blocks high. Below that is the underground area that is regular stone and is 50 blocks deep. You get to the intermediate level via the SPUD or certain other ruins that can open up into it. Those you are meant to find yourself. The SPUD has HQM gates that block your passage until you complete certain quests.

Since you are able to now do the ONE TRACK MIND quest, it means you have unlocked the 2nd gate in the SPUD and will be able to access the intermediate level. Its not easy getting past all the mobs that inhabit the SPUD but once you have done this your quest will get easier to navigate.

Volcano's aren't mean't to give access to any levels underground as they are very easy to get past.

Not sure why you're having problems with witch cave spiders. They haven't struck me as being much harder than regular cave spiders. I'm actually more concerned about the special witches as some of them can be a handful.

BTW, you are playing the hardest biome in the game. Its since been removed due to its inability to spawn passive animals, sorry, was an oversight on my part.

I went back and re-read the One Track Mind quest and realised that it doesn't actually tell you where it is so I've just changed the wording for the update. It now reads as follows:

Now that you have access to the intermediate level via the SPUD, you might want to build a rail line to help you get around faster between your outposts.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for letting people know about this change that I wasn't aware of. Its a shame they didn't pm the people who have packs on their site as I could have put up a pointer to it.

It's been mentioned in a lot of posts on other parts of the forum. Most specifically under the news thread. There has been a lot of discussion about the curse/ftb launcher change. Several of the community (myself included) have voiced displeasure over the change.

Reactions: Spaman
A

Alven4

Its since been removed due to its inability to spawn passive animals
Oh, that is why no animals spawned for a very long time. I had decided to spawn them in after waiting 3 RL hours for them to spawn.

I have a problem with witch cave spiders because they reflect the damage from crossbow on me. That means that when my crossbow deal 25,5 hearts of damage (at least it says so), I insta-die. And the same have happened when I shot skeleton in enchanted golden armor.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
It's been mentioned in a lot of posts on other parts of the forum. Most specifically under the news thread. There has been a lot of discussion about the curse/ftb launcher change. Several of the community (myself included) have voiced displeasure over the change.

Sadly, I've been too busy with the impending update to visit the forum so was totally unaware of the change. Besides, there's no reason for me to download my own game when I've always got a later version sitting right here on my computer.

Hopefully whatever it is they are doing will make it better rather than worse. One thing I have noticed whenever I've ventured onto a curse site is it always seems to be much slower to load than other sites. Could be my internet but that would be one heck of a coincidence wouldn't it?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, that is why no animals spawned for a very long time. I had decided to spawn them in after waiting 3 RL hours for them to spawn.

I have a problem with witch cave spiders because they reflect the damage from crossbow on me. That means that when my crossbow deal 25,5 hearts of damage (at least it says so), I insta-die. And the same have happened when I shot skeleton in enchanted golden armor.

Ahhh, well you see, I didn't know that. I rarely use a bow, even on witches. I like to get up close and personal with them. The rapier is actually pretty useful with them as you can really get in lots of fast blows to stop them regenerating their health.

You might want to consider updating to 1.5.2 if you're planning on trying out the sky platform as the original ocean biome didn't support passive animal spawning either. I can't for the life of me understand how I managed to forget that when I was designing it. I did actually look up which biomes wouldn't support animal spawning and somehow managed to get a brain fade when I chose to make it an ocean biome.

Its for this reason that I'm taking so much longer with the new update. I want to make sure as much as possible that I've got all the bases covered for this one.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I came off as an ass. It was just meant as a heads up. Focus on making the pack what you want it to be. :) let others worry about little things