[1.7.10] Marooned

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Q

Quintus

First things first: I love the modpack.
However i always struggle with the exploring quest where you need to find the location. How can i find it?

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
However i always struggle with the exploring quest where you need to find the location. How can i find it?

I just did that quest the other day

the Book you start with, the one called Disclaimer, read the news section in it, then read the entire quest description for the Exploring quest in the HQM book

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
So I was excited to see that the travelers boots were obtainable Via quest rewards, I immediately slap on the sticky goo, a piston and ghast tear to upgraded them with the double jump modifier but double jump is not working. Is this intended? or is it working for anyone else?

The travellers armor hasn't been modified in any way. I've never tried to upgrade them myself but will look into it to see if there's something else that might have broken it.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Sorry I missed this post. Started to answer then looked again and noticed Swat_Raptor has already answered it. If you're still confused, in one of Elder Signs later video's he figures it out after doing a couple of double takes while looking at the quest. He actually mentions where the first location is.

Last edited:

Synnoc

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a long time since I've tried Marooned (1.0, 1.1, something like that; I remember getting a flint scythe from the first quest), so I thought I'd give the new 1.4.3 version a try. Unfortunately, the starting quests have put me off from wanting to play the pack more. Maybe it's just me being stupid, but as far as I can tell, I'm stuck playing a tedious waiting game of "do the repeatable turn-in quest until I get reward bags with a gold oreberry bush and a textile bush, then wait for them to grow enough resources to finish key quests" all while I run out of food options.

And as far as I can tell, until I wait the time it's going to take to finish the watering can quest, I can do nothing to speed anything up, since the bone meal recipe has been nerfed. And since I have no good food options without all the utensils and tools (which have been re-reciped out of my reach), I can't even pass the time by killing things, since that uses up food haunches I can't afford to spend.

Again, maybe I'm just stupid and there are some obvious things I'm missing. But right now, for me, the beginning just isn't fun.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
I dont find it takes long to get the watering can, the bonemeal nerf is indeed a dastardly stroke, but it only slows you down for a while, the pack is harder than it used to be but I dont find myself waiting around with nothing to do

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a long time since I've tried Marooned (1.0, 1.1, something like that; I remember getting a flint scythe from the first quest), so I thought I'd give the new 1.4.3 version a try. Unfortunately, the starting quests have put me off from wanting to play the pack more. Maybe it's just me being stupid, but as far as I can tell, I'm stuck playing a tedious waiting game of "do the repeatable turn-in quest until I get reward bags with a gold oreberry bush and a textile bush, then wait for them to grow enough resources to finish key quests" all while I run out of food options.

And as far as I can tell, until I wait the time it's going to take to finish the watering can quest, I can do nothing to speed anything up, since the bone meal recipe has been nerfed. And since I have no good food options without all the utensils and tools (which have been re-reciped out of my reach), I can't even pass the time by killing things, since that uses up food haunches I can't afford to spend.

Again, maybe I'm just stupid and there are some obvious things I'm missing. But right now, for me, the beginning just isn't fun.

Maybe I've just become too familiar with the pack and am finding it too easy to survive and thrive in the new updates, so have made it slightly harder than before. Or perhaps I've changed a few things as I've discovered there are some too easy ways to bypass the early survival aspect of the pack.

I changed the beginning weapon because it was too overpowered to begin a survival quest with. I changed it to a self repairing rapier to give the player a weapon that they wouldn't have to use precious flint shards on if they watched how they used it. The wooden hammer is always an option to supplement its use.

I can't recall any survival quest where the beginning is easy. If I found one that was, I wouldn't bother to continue playing as I like the challenge. Grinding in the beginning is almost always required. At least in Marooned you can always go out and explore the ruins to find materials that will get you through faster.

I've tried to make it so that once you get past the 'survival' aspect, you can relatively quickly get your world automated and move on to the next stage. You can even do away with having to eat food further down the track if you want to.

I'm sorry you aren't enjoying the new changes, but on the positive side, the older versions are still available to download. But then, I guess since you've already played it, you might find it too easy 2nd time around.

Cheers.........

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
well if double-quadruple jump on travelers boots was working, it has become obsolete after fighting the Wither.

thing killed me easily but when I re-spawned I just went to my crafting table and made a MFR Needle Gun and killed it at maximum range (which is outside its range to target you). it still drops the Division sigil so I was like well I guess I'll see if i can craft the angel ring and give myself flight, it worked.

guess that makes jet packs obsolete too. which is funny because I didn't want to use up all my redstone to make the thing

I like being able to make the builders wand and ineffable glass (things which are not over powered but still very convenient), in a HQM pack I personally always feel like the angel ring and the healing axe are OP unless they are late game achievements. But that its soo easy to just rush killing the wither makes the whole simply jet packs mod have little point.

Last edited:
Reactions: OniyaMCD

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
well if double-quadruple jump on travelers boots was working, it has become obsolete after fighting the Wither.

thing killed me easily but when I re-spawned I just went to my crafting table and made a MFR Needle Gun and killed it at maximum range (which is outside its range to target you). it still drops the Division sigil so I was like well I guess I'll see if i can craft the angel ring and give myself flight, it worked.

guess that makes jet packs obsolete too. which is funny because I didn't want to use up all my redstone to make the thing

I like being able to make the builders wand and ineffable glass (things which are not over powered but still very convenient), in a HQM pack I personally always feel like the angel ring and the healing axe are OP unless they are late game achievements. But that its soo easy to just rush killing the wither makes the whole simply jet packs mod have little point.

There's a very good reason why I never addressed the needle gun and angel ring. I simply hadn't used the ring so didn't know it gave you flight and hadn't really used the needle gun enough to know its full potential. I guess its one of the problems you get with some mods. You put them in for certain aspects without realising there might be something in there that are too OP for the pack.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it and see if I can do a workaround. Might be some time though as I'm midway through testing the new world that I'm hoping to include in the update. Its a radical departure from what we have now and has required a complete re-write of the HQM due to the need for the additional quests the new world requires. The existing worlds are mostly unchanged with only a couple of new quests to help amalgamate them all together.

The healing axe has already been removed in the update as I discovered it while doing a search and thought, hmmm, wonder what it does. I could of course always make it a reward for completing the game. Then players could continue playing after getting through without having to rely on the healer or food.

EDIT: Looked into it. SirJAH tells me the Nether star is dropped by the wither while the division sigil is a possible wither drop. Considering it does make the jetpacks obsolete and we like the progression system of the jetpacks we will either remove the angel wings recipe or just make them harder to make. I'll let you know our decision when its made.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swat_Raptor

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I dont find it takes long to get the watering can, the bonemeal nerf is indeed a dastardly stroke, but it only slows you down for a while, the pack is harder than it used to be but I dont find myself waiting around with nothing to do

The bonemeal nerf was always something I wanted in the game but early on I couldn't think of a way to include it due to the chicken and the egg problem of needing the M&P to make bonemeal and needing bonemeal to make the M&P. that is until it hit me that I could simply give a bonemeal reward in the repeating Taint Nuttin quest.

Then elder Sign had to go and show how the watering can works on oreberries. (something I was unaware of) Hmmmm, Do I remove the watering can, or just delay its appearance? Delay won the day in the update and as a compensation I decided to make a recipe for the re-enforced can as well.

I was wondering why my friends call me dastardly, or would do if I had any.........

Reactions: RehabOholic

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Thought I'd get your opinion on our solution to the OP angel wings. We thought about just removing them but to be honest I'm not against someone going to the trouble of making one provided its not too easy to do and there is an alternative that is almost as good. So we tried to take into consideration your desire to make the angel wings in the first place and then your lamentation over using so much of your redstone to make the jetpack that the angel wings had made obsolete. We wouldn't want you having to make something that is then easily replaceable by something better.

So with this in mind we changed the angel wings recipe to require a reinforced jetpack in its recipe along with a couple of other more suitable ingredients. We chose reinforced for two reasons, firstly its a similar colour to the wings so looks more appropriate. Secondly, and more importantly, its advanced enough to give the rings a run for their money. In other words a player might think sacrificing their already useful jetpack to make wings that give them the equivalent of creative flight, but use hunger while being used. Plus there's always the danger of getting blown up trying to make them.

Anyway, that's our current solution to Angel wings. If you have a better one, we'd love to hear it.

Cheers....

PS: Still haven't looked into the MFR needle gun, but it is on the todo list.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
So with this in mind we changed the angel wings recipe to require a reinforced jetpack in its recipe along with a couple of other more suitable ingredients. We chose reinforced for two reasons, firstly its a similar colour to the wings so looks more appropriate. Secondly, and more importantly, its advanced enough to give the rings a run for their money. In other words a player might think sacrificing their already useful jetpack to make wings that give them the equivalent of creative flight, but use hunger while being used. Plus there's always the danger of getting blown up trying to make them.

Anyway, that's our current solution to Angel wings. If you have a better one, we'd love to hear it.

PS: Still haven't looked into the MFR needle gun, but it is on the todo list.

Making the jet packs as a prerequisite item plus increasing the material cost makes sense, thus there is a progression of Flight items and you work your way up through it. sounds good

edit
the bit about not wanting to spend all my redstone, I decided to automate gravel sieving but not dust, thus had tons of metal but less than half a stack of redstone. That ones obviously my fault.

W

WigoWam

Nice looking pack, i was looking for an island survival type pack. Kinda like skyblock on the ocean when i saw this, but, it'a still nice

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Nice looking pack, i was looking for an island survival type pack. Kinda like skyblock on the ocean when i saw this, but, it'a still nice

Funny you should mention that as I'm currently working on a new island variation that slots in with the current pack. I'm adding a new twist I haven't seen before to give it an entirely different flavour to the usual sky platforms. So far I'm enjoying the new challenge, but having to add or change certain aspects to give it balance.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Tried the pack yesterday and died very fast. :D

What's the difference between the different maps? Any recommendations which one is the "easiest" to start with?

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
So I was monkeying around in the nether looking for Wither skeletons, hoping one of them would drop some necro bones, the skeles I dunked in witch water only droped wither heads strangely enough. The skeles on the nether fort were exactly the same thou so I decided to do a little more digging and found out that there are 2 types of Wither Skeletons, the vanilla minecraft kind and the other from Ender IO.

Edit:
2nd issue
there seems to be Overworld ruins which spawn in the nether (at the expected overworld height, complete with layers of Red Sand)
When ever I approach theses particular ruins in the nether it creates crippling amounts of lag, I have to move away from them and then log off and back in to fix it.

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Tried the pack yesterday and died very fast. :D

What's the difference between the different maps? Any recommendations which one is the "easiest" to start with?

It all depends on whether you're the type that prefers to dig an underground bunker. The jungle and savanna biomes tend to be more forgiving and allow you to dig down either 2 or 3 levels to get safely below the night mobs. The advantage of the jungle is it rains to provide easier water later in the game. The cold taiga has snow which makes it harder to kill surface spiders. The swampland has regular slimes which can increase the danger. The Ice Plains has a packed ice surface which makes the early stages harder.

I'd certainly recommend making backup saves so you don't have to download the game in the event you use up all your lives. The game is meant to be hard until you find a way to get through the first few nights. You only get a limited free ride with food so try to only eat the higher value foods until you go onto food value reductions.

apart from that, read the Disclaimer and all the quests as they contain a lot of information to help you get established.

Cheers..........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
So I was monkeying around in the nether looking for Wither skeletons, hoping one of them would drop some necro bones, the skeles I dunked in witch water only droped wither heads strangely enough. The skeles on the nether fort were exactly the same thou so I decided to do a little more digging and found out that there are 2 types of Wither Skeletons, the vanilla minecraft kind and the other from Ender IO.

Edit:
2nd issue
there seems to be Overworld ruins which spawn in the nether (at the expected overworld height, complete with layers of Red Sand)
When ever I approach theses particular ruins in the nether it creates crippling amounts of lag, I have to move away from them and then log off and back in to fix it.

If you're finding ruins in the Nether, its a glitch as there are no ruins in either the generic or hell folders. I deliberately didn't make ruins for the nether because of the lag they can cause.

Wither skeletons aren't really affected by the Special mobs mod so they should be as you'd expect to find them. Am wondering why you'd be looking for the bones though. As far as I'm aware they are only used in making Red Heart Cannisters and I've provided an alternative recipe to bypass them.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
Necro bones normally are the crafting ingredient to give life steal for tinkers weapons, unless that has been disabled

also the Killing quest which suggest you goto a nether fort and kill wither skeles and Blazes only seems to recognize the Ender IO wither skeles, Sorry should have probably added that in last post