[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some nether mining advice - after digging an estimated 1,500 blocks of tunnels through the Nether at level 13, I have yet to turn up a single vein of sulfur, despite the ore book saying they should be spawning down there. I've found numerous veins of pretty much every other type, including multiple uranium veins but no sulfur. What gives? Is the ore book not accurate?

In a similar situation, I've found about ten certus/quartzite quartz veins in the nether, but no nether quartz.

Am I incredibly unlucky, or is the ore book wrong?

Note: I'm playing in 3.2.9

I've spent some time looking at the source code. The best way to find ores is to dig in the center of chunks where the chunk x and z is 3n + 1 (ignor negatives). Ore veins always are centered at this position and only one vein ever spawns per 3x3 area. Makes it really easy to find ores once you know this. ..

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
I've spent some time looking at the source code. The best way to find ores is to dig in the center of chunks where the chunk x and z is 3n + 1 (ignor negatives). Ore veins always are centered at this position and only one vein ever spawns per 3x3 area. Makes it really easy to find ores once you know this. ..
I remember you posting a picture about it...but i still gotta ask.

When you say 1 vein per 3x3, do you mean from Y = 0 up to 256? (assuming vein did spawn that high ofcourse)

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm deep in the negatives. Is there another set of rules for those?

melignus

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to control GT multiblocks with redstone, or rather without rubber malloting them when I want them on? I can't find anything on the forums regarding this. I tried machine control covers but they don't stick.

Zeyad_001

Mar 18, 2014
Is it possible to control GT multiblocks with redstone, or rather without rubber malloting them when I want them on? I can't find anything on the forums regarding this. I tried machine control covers but they don't stick.
Put a machine controller cover on the bottom face of the multi block controller.You can then send a redstone signal to control it. Be careful because if you try to keep a blast furnace turned on without stable power going to it,It will begin destroy dusts.

JustOneFeather

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you might have missed sulfur vein, because it is 7 block tall, and, if my memory serves me, altitude 5-20 given for the center of vein.
If you dug 2x1 tunnel, it makes sense to raise the ceiling and lower the floor.

cimyPt

Jul 29, 2019
A while a go, someone mentioned a way to move nodes that didnt have a chance to weaken the nodes.
I think it was brought up when there was the update that changed the recipes of thaumcraft.

What was this method?

EDIT: Another question, I have read people talking about nodes as a way to generate power, is there a way to produce EU with nodes?

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Automagy adds advanced node jarring, significantly more expensive but has no chance to weaken nodes.

You can generate EU with nodes using the magic energy absorber, it can absorb centivis to generate EU, you can also generate EU from it with dragon eggs, ender crystals, essentia, and enchantments.

cimyPt

Jul 29, 2019
Automagy adds advanced node jarring, significantly more expensive but has no chance to weaken nodes.

You can generate EU with nodes using the magic energy absorber, it can absorb centivis to generate EU, you can also generate EU from it with dragon eggs, ender crystals, essentia, and enchantments.
How exactly does it work, the absorving of centivis?
And what is the ratio of centivis/EU?

EDIT: And also, is the research for the advanced node jarring gated behind something?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
How exactly does it work, the absorving of centivis?
And what is the ratio of centivis/EU?

EDIT: And also, is the research for the advanced node jarring gated behind something?
It's like any other centivis user, it just takes centivis from nearby sources. As far as the ratio it's a little complex, based off centivis^4/2500 except it takes all six aspects and gives an efficiency bonus based off how many aspects it can have.

The advanced jarring requires the warding focus and node jarring to be researched afaik, in the bottom left of the automagy section.

cimyPt

Jul 29, 2019
It's like any other centivis user, it just takes centivis from nearby sources. As far as the ratio it's a little complex, based off centivis^4/2500 except it takes all six aspects and gives an efficiency bonus based off how many aspects it can have.

The advanced jarring requires the warding focus and node jarring to be researched afaik, in the bottom left of the automagy section.
Dont know if you know, but do nodes have a limit? A while back I was searching information on the feeding of hungry nodes and found some people that said their node had disappeared once if got quite big...

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Dont know if you know, but do nodes have a limit? A while back I was searching information on the feeding of hungry nodes and found some people that said their node had disappeared once if got quite big...
Never heard of anything like that, I've done things in test worlds and outside of it seen stuff in the range of several thousand+, maybe even like 32k, I think the rotarycraft EMP sent them nuts.

melignus

Jul 29, 2019
Put a machine controller cover on the bottom face of the multi block controller.You can then send a redstone signal to control it. Be careful because if you try to keep a blast furnace turned on without stable power going to it,It will begin destroy dusts.

Perfect thank you! That will work for my current use case but as a side note, is there a way to control machines when the controller bottom is inaccessible like with the large turbines?

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning on this playthrough to not use any charcoal or cokeovens for power. However I'd still like a use for all the logs my tree farm will invariably create. What's the next best power generation method from wood without charcoal. I see there is something called the pyrolyse oven that turns logs into heavy oil is that a viable route for power generation? You can also extract creosote oil from woodpulp, but I'm not sure if this would be energy positive.

Garthor

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. The code takes the absolute value of the chunk coordinates before deciding if the chunk can spawn an ore deposit. so you can ignor the nagatives.

Note that this means that while normally ore deposits are separated by two chunks (x=1, x=4, x=7, etc.) they are only separated by one chunk around x=0 and z=0 (ore veins on the x=-1 and x=1 lines). So if you are diligently digging down on every third chunk, keep in mind you need to realign the pattern as you cross the zero lines.

Mostly unrelatedly, while looking at the code myself I saw that there was a different off-by-one error in the ore generation that was causing the first ore type to be slightly (+1 weight) more common and the last ore type to be slightly less (-1 weight) common. Not positive on how they end up ordered but worst case that's like 20% less Naquadah.

Or actually if The Big N is only in the asteroids it might be using a different algorithm anyway so maybe not. There's something else that's eating a hit to abundance though.

Reactions: Batch2