[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have only tested with hoppers, fill golem, item pipes, conveyor belt, robot arm, So i have to manually refill battery buffers when they run out? really? T_T I hope they can at least stack the single use batteries in there so they last for a while.
I read that someone did automate something with the single use batteries, i'm disappointed :(
Why would anyone automate things with single-use batteries? That's a waste of resources, and the lead you need for the battery alloy isn't exactly common early in the game. However, if you use rechargeable batteries, you can automate cable-less power transport by using an MFE and a GT transformer connected to your battery buffer, and use energy crystals as transportable power storage items.

No, batteries in battery buffers don't stack.

Reactions: Tsuko

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I won't lie, that sounds a lot more involved than I expected :)
It's easier to just add BoP without removing ExtraBiomesXL. They are perfectly compatible, and you need to do nothing but add the mod. No problems on load either.

Last edited:

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
I have only tested with hoppers, fill golem, item pipes, conveyor belt, robot arm, So i have to manually refill battery buffers when they run out? really? T_T I hope they can at least stack the single use batteries in there so they last for a while.
I read that someone did automate something with the single use batteries, i'm disappointed :(
Automating of single use batteries would make sense, but idea if possible code wise. Will try for next GT update.

Reactions: Pyure and Tsuko

Azkeel

Jul 29, 2019
I have ~25 blocks long line of ender IO pressurized fluid conduits transporting steam from my RC iron tank to 3 GT basic steam turbines to power my EBF. It works great when I'm at my base, but sometimes when I leave it and come back fluiducts are full of water and I have to manually drain them into portable tank to let steam flow again. What could be the cause ? I have ender IO water reservoir located 4 or 5 blocks from this line, but it doesn't connect to it. Every chunk of my base is loaded with dimensional anchor.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have ~25 blocks long line of ender IO pressurized fluid conduits transporting steam from my RC iron tank to 3 GT basic steam turbines to power my EBF. It works great when I'm at my base, but sometimes when I leave it and come back fluiducts are full of water and I have to manually drain them into portable tank to let steam flow again. What could be the cause ? I have ender IO water reservoir located 4 or 5 blocks from this line, but it doesn't connect to it. Every chunk of my base is loaded with dimensional anchor.
Do your dimensional anchors have fuel? They're configured to require fuel by default, and remain inactive if they haven't any. If you don't want them to require fuel, you can change this in the config file. I think it was immibis.cfg or something like that.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Best solution is to lock the conduit to fluid type. To do that you need to have container item (mostly its done with buckets, but not sure if there are Buckets of steam, but cell with steam should work as well) and double r-click the conduit. It will cause the conduit to be locked to only that one fluid not allowing anything else to appear in there.

Also one more tip with conduits, if you double click them with empty bucket it will quickly erase the fluid stored in them. If it will still happen, i suggest to go here: https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-1.7/issues report it, with screenshot of the setup. If you will not be able to use steam cell to lock the fluid type for conduit, again report it, and I will see if I can ask eIO devs to allow this.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Automating of single use batteries would make sense, but idea if possible code wise. Will try for next GT update.
I guess until then if i still want to use single use batteries i'll have to spam battery buffers everywhere, but that will create a lot of loss because of the cables to have them in parallel.

At first i just wanted to be able to refill the batteries in the machines, i imagine item pipes pushing batteries where they needed to be, if that didn't work i imagined that golems would at the very least...
Now i just want to be able to use batteries as a buffer.. its even in the name: battery buffer, but with only 192kV capacity (16x 12kV in small acid batteries) i'll have to refill the buffer every 5 minutes if it has to feed a machine of 32V/t.

So 5 minutes per buffer.. for an hour i will need 12 buffers, about 0,25-0,5V loss per buffer is 3-6V loss per 32V/t at best probably, this is a very bad buffer lol, not to mention how expensive it can be if caught unprepared (no automation of sulfur processing and no recycling)

I can see myself now building these towers/blocks of buffers in parallel and i build enough of them so i dont have to replace them every hour.. maybe they will last together for like 10 hours, then i spend 10 minutes refilling them all which is 12seconds each.. wait that is kinda slow, 1s per buffer refill would be 2 minutes to refill them all (because of 120 buffers).
This means if i'm there at the right moment to refill them they will have an uptime of 99,67%
(At worst probably 3 seconds per buffer, which is 6 minutes total with an uptime of 99% instaid)

The biggest problem though is loss if i'm going to spam them in parallel, just an interesting idea. Is it really imposible to do anything with battery buffers automatically? just emptying but no refilling? or just refill, no emptying? why so manual? :(

It might be doable, maybe my idea of buffers is wrong, am i supposed to spam them?
120 buffers per 32V/t... seems pretty damn crazy to me though.

These buffers would be 64 times greater if single use batteries could be stacked and used in the buffers, i don't see why you can't drain 1V from each battery if they have the same amount? i.e: A basic battery buffer with 16 slots for 16 stacks of filled "small acid battery" they all drain at the same rate and i know for a fact that they can stack if they have the same voltage (even if partially drained). This should work xD

This would make single use batteries awesome in buffers :) But i've barely touched batteries so i dunno.

The reason i'm doing all of this is because my damned iron tank steam buffer gets full or empty all the time so i have to micromanage the high pressure coil burners, all the time.

I want them to run at a steady rate while i use more compact form of energy than steam, like sulfuric acid: 1000L sulfuric acid from 36363L steam, sulfuric acid is 36 times more compact and i already filled my 10 million liter with sulfuric acid which scares me when i think i would have to build 36 more of those huge steel tanks if i wanted to buffer my steam this way. Steam buffer is very space and resource expensive :S I'm not doing this because i want a lossless network or anything like that.

Last edited:

Azkeel

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for tips guys.

Unfortunately it happened twice when I was in my base, so it's not chunk loader issue.

I had no problems with steam distribution until I upgraded my EBF energy hatch to MV and added MV battery buffer + 1 more LV turbine (had 2 turbines feeding 3 LV battery buffers before that).

Best solution is to lock the conduit to fluid type. To do that you need to have container item (mostly its done with buckets, but not sure if there are Buckets of steam, but cell with steam should work as well) and double r-click the conduit. It will cause the conduit to be locked to only that one fluid not allowing anything else to appear in there.

Should WAILA tooltip show info about conduit being locked to specific fluid ? I tried to lock it with universal fluid cell filled with steam, but I'm not sure if it worked, WAILA tooltip didn't change. Conduit probe doesn't seem to work with fluid conduits.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Why would anyone automate things with single-use batteries? That's a waste of resources, and the lead you need for the battery alloy isn't exactly common early in the game. However, if you use rechargeable batteries, you can automate cable-less power transport by using an MFE and a GT transformer connected to your battery buffer, and use energy crystals as transportable power storage items.

No, batteries in battery buffers don't stack.
and if i use this or that or those instaid yeah it could probably be better...
The plan was to use single use batteries so i would have an excuse to recycle batteries because i find the idea fascinating and i want to solve that puzzle.

Now i have to go to apparently crazy lengths to make it somewhat bearable on a larger scale with 1% of my time spent per 32V/t.. that goes quickly up to uncomfortable maintenance times, for my current build (6 basic steam generators) it would be 3-9% of my time spent on refueling the 720 basic 16 slot battery buffers... just HAVE to go into higher tech era and build larger batteries, heck the largest one is 16 times bigger AND it will produce less loss!! with only about 0,5% maintenance time total... But that is if i don't build any more machines, which isn't likely. So sulfuric acid builds downgrades my tech era by 1 level pretty much, to be comfortable in LV i'll need MV batteries and for MV era i'll need HV batteries, there is only 3 different sulfuric batteries tho. sulfuric acid might even downgrade by 2 eras now that i think about it... urgh.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Tsuko:
I understand you do have a steam generation system, so why don't you use rechargeable batteries? The only reason I can see for using single-use batteries is that they're crafted fully-charged, so they act as a power source with sulfur (I guess, since it's more common than mercury) as a fuel, assuming you recycle the battery hulls. Also, in my experience, trying to avoid power loss by transporting the steam is only feasibly up to a point and tends to fail more often the more complex your industry becomes. The "standard" method for transporting power is to uptransform it until you have increased the voltage to the point that you only need 1A. That way you will only lose 1 EU per block. In my experience, that's feasible if you have a reasonably compact base, and becomes more feasible as you progess in tech tiers. At the moment I'm using IV cabling as a backbone.

My late LV power infrastructure (I understand you have an EBF) would look something like this:

Several LV machines <> 4A tin cable <> LV transformer outputting 4Ax32V <> xN MV battery buffer <> 1x annealed copper cable <> LV transformer uptransforming <> x4 tin cable <> 4 Basic Steam Turbines

Note that the MV battery buffer can have several slots and still the LV transformer will only take 1A x 128V in, so that you can have a big buffer without requiring thick cables. I'm not sure if you lose more power that way - maybe one of the experts here can answer that - but it didn't appear that way to me. Also, if you have N machines running you won't necessarily need N amps. The ore processing facility I posted somewhere abovethread has 10-12 machines per processing line and runs perfectly well at 4 amps. It all depends on the recipes.

Edit: your last post came while I was writing this. You are correct that it is desirable to have a power storage system one tier above what most of your machines require.

Edit2: I can only say if you think of playing GalactiCraft at some point, save your sulfur. It's likely you'll need several thousand sulfur dusts before you're done with the mod...

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for tips guys.

Unfortunately it happened twice when I was in my base, so it's not chunk loader issue.

I had no problems with steam distribution until I upgraded my EBF energy hatch to MV and added MV battery buffer + 1 more LV turbine (had 2 turbines feeding 3 LV battery buffers before that).

Should WAILA tooltip show info about conduit being locked to specific fluid ? I tried to lock it with universal fluid cell filled with steam, but I'm not sure if it worked, WAILA tooltip didn't change. Conduit probe doesn't seem to work with fluid conduits.
It should be visualy obvious that the conduit is locked. Try it with regular cell, not universal.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
My late LV power infrastructure (I understand you have an EBF) would look something like this:

I don't have the EBF, tho at this point it should be easy, it is just that i'm avoiding it because it does MV stuff and the way of crafting it isn't very clear, which means i have to learn more stuff again and i'm busy learning stuff in LV already lol. I have found tons of aluminium veins and others so it shouldn't be too hard. I haven't done the lotus or the nethermind or the inventorium yet.
I haven't gone to the outlands or other thaumcraft places, i have 1 line for ore processing and it is now dedicated to sulfur production which i cannot use comfortably in LV apparently =_=, i still need to up scale my iron golem farm, i need to distribute iron ingots to where it needs to be, and scale the farm accordingly, so much stuff i need to explore.
All that could also be done in MV i guess...

I need a compact energy storage and sulfuric acid is compact to store but apparently very difficult to turn into useful volts.
The sulfuric acid -> volts conversion cannot even be automated and the batteries are very small and not usable when stacked so there goes that benefit out the window.

In theory i would grab tons of acid batteries and put them in a box that then sends them to all the battery buffers or machines and it would last for a long time or the whole process could be automated, now i see it is worse: a very short time.

Am i missing something about the single use batteries? maybe i'll just stack 2 or 3 buffers behind machines that don't need much voltage and put it to the side away from the more power hungry machines. Its good for machines that don't need to run constantly so like the wiremill perhaps, i can put it where i want without having to drag cables everywhere, it is just that i have to refill it but i could have a request system or a timer to send batteries at a comfortable rate via magic mirrors so it would be very clean.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I don't have the EBF, tho at this point it should be easy, it is just that i'm avoiding it because it does MV stuff and the way of crafting it isn't very clear, which means i have to learn more stuff again and i'm busy learning stuff in LV already lol. I have found tons of aluminium veins and others so it shouldn't be too hard. I haven't done the lotus or the nethermind or the inventorium yet.
I haven't gone to the outlands or other thaumcraft places, i have 1 line for ore processing and it is now dedicated to sulfur production which i cannot use comfortably in LV apparently =_=, i still need to up scale my iron golem farm, i need to distribute iron ingots to where it needs to be, and scale the farm accordingly, so much stuff i need to explore.
All that could also be done in MV i guess...

I need a compact energy storage and sulfuric acid is compact to store but apparently very difficult to turn into useful volts.
The sulfuric acid -> volts conversion cannot even be automated and the batteries are very small and not usable when stacked so there goes that benefit out the window.
I sympathize. At this point you usually don't know on which project to work first since everything is critical and you're overwhelmed with stuff you have to learn, or want to learn. Everything is slow as well because you're lacking power. Things will get more comfortable once you've found a reliable power source at a power level where you can run a factory rather than a small set of machines, but that may be some time yet depending on which option you choose.

Power storage is definitely something to pay attention to. My energy storage is currently two to three tiers above my processing and production machines, and I would've pushed it even higher if the next tier didn't require a fusion reactor.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
@Tsuko:
You could solve the single use battery problem automation with ic2 energy storage because you can insert / extract batteries automaticly.

I read about that, i have also heard about enderio or some mod, maybe extra utilities has those pipes that can specificy batteries and put them in or out of machines, so there might be 2 ways, but i was hoping i could avoid these two other mods if possible. Does it work with gregtech batteries though? and does it accept batteries from a gregtech pipe or maybe golems?

I should really get familiar with IC2 tbh, gregtech is based on it o.o;
But i get the feeling i should give IC2 a try on it's own, a fresh start and only IC2 and buildcraft and railcraft and..and..and....

I'm just wondering if i'm using the robotic arm wrong, if i attach the arm to a machine and i want to put stuff in it, which option do i need? and then does the machine need power to make this arm put stuff in it? and then into what slot? it would be great if it could just bring up the user interface of the machine and have me "click" on the slot, would this be too hard to code? ... i don't know how many slots i can choose from but it goes over 1000 and i have tried a lot, i don't know if it is hidden in slot 583 or 666 (just to be evil). IF that is wrong am i supposed to attach the arm on the item pipe facing the machine? i tested this as well, i couldn't even put in normal, acceptable items in it (but it was unpowered when i tested this at first). So many ways to test the arm so i guess i'm just lingering on this false hope. I think the arm doesn't need power if it is attached to the item pipe instaid of the machine, but i'm not sure it would work there anyways :S

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
I sympathize. At this point you usually don't know on which project to work first since everything is critical and you're overwhelmed with stuff you have to learn, or want to learn. Everything is slow as well because you're lacking power. Things will get more comfortable once you've found a reliable power source at a power level where you can run a factory rather than a small set of machines, but that may be some time yet depending on which option you choose.

Power storage is definitely something to pay attention to. My energy storage is currently two to three tiers above my processing and production machines, and I would've pushed it even higher if the next tier didn't require a fusion reactor.
IT isn't so much about being slow, sure its slow, but i can always expand but that isn't the issue, it is just that it is noisy when the HPCBers vent steam because of over production and i get stressed like HELL, i absolutely NEED to fly over to my machines and regulate them manually, and this happens quite a lot. For every new thing i do, i need to regulate the steam production to match and on top of that: i also need to refuel the boilers somewhat regularly even though a stack lasts almost 3 hours. (more like 2,5 if it is from 0 point slate)
This could be pretty easy to automate i think, but manually doing it every 3 hours or so isn't so bad that this is of critical priority for me.

I just want peace of mind knowing that i'm not wasting any resources even though their value is pretty low. I could very easily just over produce everything and have it be moved somewhere i don't hear about it and avoid this whole battery mess.

I would need to build a few max size steel tanks for steam buffer, but this is the easy ugly solution.
Its the same logic as: not enough power? build moaarrr treefarms! So batteries is a mess, now that i've got so much sulfuric acid (10million liters) i wish i could put this into a generator, battery buffers is actually a generator in this sense but think about it this way: if the HPCB only supported 8 coal instaid of 64, thats the difference. So little capacity in those battery buffers (and i have yet to use the buffer in survival, i need to use things first, then complain, these things usually turn out to not be such huge issues i seem to make them out to be)

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I would need to build a few max size steel tanks for steam buffer, but this is the easy ugly solution.
Iron Tanks are a very common solution for this pack. Not max size or steel necessarily either. If you're not even in the MV age, a small/medium iron tank acting as a steam buffer will save you an awful lot of aggravation. Naturally you still run the risk of sometimes producing too much steam, but that's deliberate: automation and efficiency are perks of electricity.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Iron Tanks are a very common solution for this pack. Not max size or steel necessarily either. If you're not even in the MV age, a small/medium iron tank acting as a steam buffer will save you an awful lot of aggravation. Naturally you still run the risk of sometimes producing too much steam, but that's deliberate: automation and efficiency are perks of electricity.
I already have one that has a storage capacity of 1,5ML, it gets full very easily but also empties just as quickly and i can both see and hear my HPCB going on anyways and i kinda panic and have to regulate them but even after regulating it takes a while for it to kick in so i might over regulate and the next time i look the tank is empty and then my machines stop then i have soft hammer them all and regulate the HPCB yet again but then it takes a while again for it to kick in... its a tough balancing act which takes several minutes to see the result of your input/regulation. So after regulating them i may or may not forget about soft hammering my machines again to activate them and i think i regulated them wrong so i decrease the output but then when i activate the machines i might forget to check in with the HPCBers again.... damn, wish it was easier lol.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
IT isn't so much about being slow, sure its slow, but i can always expand but that isn't the issue, it is just that it is noisy when the HPCBers vent steam because of over production and i get stressed like HELL, i absolutely NEED to fly over to my machines and regulate them manually, and this happens quite a lot. For every new thing i do, i need to regulate the steam production to match and on top of that: i also need to refuel the boilers somewhat regularly even though a stack lasts almost 3 hours. (more like 2,5 if it is from 0 point slate)
This could be pretty easy to automate i think, but manually doing it every 3 hours or so isn't so bad that this is of critical priority for me.

I just want pease of mind knowing that i'm not wasting any resources even though their value is pretty low. I could very easily just over produce everything and have it be moved somewhere i don't hear about it and avoid this whole battery mess.

Its the same logic as: not enough power? build moaarrr treefarms! So batteries is a mess, now that i've got so much sulfuric acid (10million liters) i wish i could put this into a generator, battery buffers is actually a generator in this sense but think about it this way: if the HPCB only supported 8 coal instaid of 64, thats the difference. So little capacity in those battery buffers (and i have yet to use the buffer in survival, i need to use things first, then complain, these things usually turn out to not be such huge issues i seem to make them out to be)
Actually, I would recommend at least one tree farm. I have one with just eight of those giant jungle trees, and it's enough wood, used in the right way, to generate more than 200 EU/t. I suspect I could push it as high as 300 EU/t if I bothered to build another RC steam boiler.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I already have one that has a storage capacity of 1,5ML, it gets full very easily but also empties just as quickly and i can both see and hear my HPCB going on anyways and i kinda panic and have to regulate them but even after regulating it takes a while for it to kick in so i might over regulate and the next time i look the tank is empty and then my machines stop then i have soft hammer them all and regulate the HPCB yet again but then it takes a while again for it to kick in... its a tough balancing act which takes several minutes to see the result of your input/regulation. So after regulating them i may or may not forget about soft hammering my machines again to activate them and i think i regulated them wrong so i decrease the output but then when i activate the machines i might forget to check in with the HPCBers again.... damn, wish it was easier lol.
Are you able to craft BC gates yet? I don't think so, but if you are, you can do things like ensure your boilers only take on fuel when your buffer is getting low.