[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I would recommend at least one tree farm. I have one with just eight of those giant jungle trees, and it's enough wood, used in the right way, to generate more than 200 EU/t. I suspect I could push it as high as 300 EU/t if I bothered to build another RC steam boiler.
I have a treefarm already and it would be very easy to setup a few more so wasting charcoal shouldn't be something that bothers me but it does =_= if it was totally unnoticeable (no audio or visual cues) i might have cared less about it tbh, the charcoal would just burn away until empty and that would be it. I guess the easiest solution would be like i said, a few good steam buffers and then run a few boilers constantly so when i do some irregular steam intense processes it doesn't mean my buffer will empty, on average it will fill up to keep up until the next irregular processes and then some more without issues.

I would hate to refill the boilers when my buffer is full, it just feels so wrong and wasteful.
The question is if a few steel tanks will cut it, it will have to support about 128V/t for several hours and that would be 28ML steam per hour so a max size of 20,7ML / steel tank means 2-3 max sized steel was about right to buffer these hourly intensive processes, my guess was spot on.

Are you able to craft BC gates yet? I don't think so, but if you are, you can do things like ensure your boilers only take on fuel when your buffer is getting low.
I haven't even attempted to try to craft those gates, is it even LV? anything beyond LV is beyond me :D
Ughh that could get messy as well if i don't take into the calculation for how long the current rate of voltage usage will continue this is a issue here because it takes time to heat up the HPCB's and before they are maxed the machines might get stuck

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have a treefarm already and it would be very easy to setup a few more so wasting charcoal shouldn't be something that bothers me but it does =_= if it was totally unnoticeable (no audio or visual cues) i might have cared less about it tbh, the charcoal would just burn away until empty and that would be it. I guess the easiest solution would be like i said, a few good steam buffers and then run a few boilers constantly so when i do some irregular steam intense processes it doesn't mean my buffer will empty, on average it will fill up to keep up until the next irregular processes and then some more without issues.

I would hate to refill the boilers when my buffer is full, it just feels so wrong and wasteful.
The question is if a few steel tanks will cut it, it will have to support about 128V/t for several hours and that would be 28ML steam per hour so a max size of 20,7ML / steel tank means 2-3 max sized steel was about right to buffer these hourly intensive processes, my guess was spot on.

I haven't even attempted to try to craft those gates, is it even LV? anything beyond LV is beyond me :D
Ughh that could get messy as well if i don't take into the calculation for how long the current rate of voltage usage will continue this is a issue here because it takes time to heat up the HPCB's and before they are maxed the machines might get stuck
I don't remember if you can do everything with LV or not. Most of it you do with BC lasers and such that you can plug directly into your LV cables, but one step requires a precision laser I think, and I don't recall the recipes involved (I'm at work, cant check)

Maybe consider putting your hpcbs on a timer so they're less likely to be full of coal at any given time. Make a blue power timer and set it to pulse at approximately the same rate that the boiler consumes coal. Use enderio conduits to only pull in coal when it receives a pulse. The exact timing will be tricky to work out, and you'll have to factor in the warm-up time, but ideally you'll ensure that when the boilers are supposed to turn off (with gates), you'll have <20% coal waiting in the boiler instead of 100%.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
I don't remember if you can do everything with LV or not. Most of it you do with BC lasers and such that you can plug directly into your LV cables, but one step requires a precision laser I think, and I don't recall the recipes involved (I'm at work, cant check)

Maybe consider putting your hpcbs on a timer so they're less likely to be full of coal at any given time. Make a blue power timer and set it to pulse at approximately the same rate that the boiler consumes coal. Use enderio conduits to only pull in coal when it receives a pulse. The exact timing will be tricky to work out, and you'll have to factor in the warm-up time, but ideally you'll ensure that when the boilers are supposed to turn off (with gates), you'll have <20% coal waiting in the boiler instead of 100%.
Ahhh i see, so with only 1 coal in them when they are needed it means less waste and easier to manage. This will give me more waste from warm up times but less waste from over production or machines getting stuck. Do i need a gate for every HPCB like i would need golems? empty golems barely works so i'll probably have to rely on fill golems if i want to do this via golems and that means like 21 golems... this cannot be good lol :D that why i probably haven't started even attempting to automate it. One single empty golem should in theory be able to keep them all full (at the very least) but i think i might be able to specify what amount to keep, i know i can have dispensers shooting the charcoal from above into a hungry maw connected to the HPCBs and it would be timed like you said, not sure if maws will do what i want here tho.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, again not at home and unable to test my idea. The question is, do machine controller covers work on steam machines? So, can they disable Boiler... Never tought about that combination...

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do i need a gate for every HPCB like i would need golems? .
Can you actually control golems via redstone signals?

In any event, no not really. You could have a single eio conduit that sends coal to multiple boilers when its receiving a redstone signal if you wanted to, especially if its in round-robin mode. Again, the timing would be really tricky though.

Historically, I just ensure I have a really big buffer, and I make sure that I turn off the steam automatically (gates) when the buffer is 50% or 75% full rather than wait for 100% full. With Railcraft boilers, the trick is to avoid using gigantic boilers, which take too long to cool down (waste). With GT Boilers, its a non-issue because they respond almost instantly (you can redstone-signal them off with the appropriate cover).

About GT Boilers: A large bronze boiler is, at face value, really crappy compared to RailCraft for creating steam efficently. And all Large Boilers are inferior to HPCBs for pure charcoal efficiency.

However: GT Boilers win massively in logistical efficiency. If you don't think you're going to be constantly consuming steam at the same rate that you're producing it, any GT Boiler suddenly looks really appealing: You can produce exactly the amount of steam that you need at any given time. If you can afford it, and you can make the BC Gates required for automation, GT Large Boilers might be more appropriate for you.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, again not at home and unable to test my idea. The question is, do machine controller covers work on steam machines? So, can they disable Boiler... Never tought about that combination...

Cannot test that because i think machine controller is gated behind MV for some reason, just something i noticed =_=

Can you actually control golems via redstone signals?

In any event, no not really. You could have a single eio conduit that sends coal to multiple boilers when its receiving a redstone signal if you wanted to, especially if its in round-robin mode. Again, the timing would be really tricky though.

Historically, I just ensure I have a really big buffer, and I make sure that I turn off the steam automatically (gates) when the buffer is 50% or 75% full rather than wait for 100% full. With Railcraft boilers, the trick is to avoid using gigantic boilers, which take too long to cool down (waste). With GT Boilers, its a non-issue because they respond almost instantly (you can redstone-signal them off with the appropriate cover).

About GT Boilers: A large bronze boiler is, at face value, really crappy compared to RailCraft for creating steam efficently. And all Large Boilers are inferior to HPCBs for pure charcoal efficiency.

However: GT Boilers win massively in logistical efficiency. If you don't think you're going to be constantly consuming steam at the same rate that you're producing it, any GT Boiler suddenly looks really appealing: You can produce exactly the amount of steam that you need at any given time. If you can afford it, and you can make the BC Gates required for automation, GT Large Boilers might be more appropriate for you.

Yes i have great control over my golems and i'm not even using the automagy golem linking and link fettering :D
Golem's can access most stuff and react to redstone, with automagy you can do so much with them, i might be using some of them wrongly tho, like the empty golem, they sometimes just stand infront of a machine waiting for it to shug through some items so the golem can put more stuff in it, instaid of going to the next machine that needs items, they get stuck but you can always use fill golems for more specific inputs instaid, the empty golem is pretty much a luxury golem (a must have golem for automagy autocrafting tho, fill golem cannot do that task)
I might just be doing it wrong tho. I think there is something in automagy to detect liquid amounts in containers as well, it feels like this playthrough of mine is about gregtech and thaumcraft, the two biggest mod in this pack i think? if there is several solutions to something i wish to pick a solution in one of those two mods, or maybe buildcraft because IC2 builds ontop of BC and i want to get the basics first xD
I'm not sure how well you guys understand the basics but this is pretty much my first "serious" playthrough. I mean i stopped playing at basic metal bender the other time lol... now i have played like 3-4 times longer probably. It is just a bit difficult to deal with all the mods at the same time, especially if different power systems. Don't i need the BG assembler to build the gates? and don't the gates need RF? (or MJ even?) a lot of setup time to get that going probably, a really big buffer like you said sounds good haha.

I'm really interested in seeing how my idea of a hyper cube would look like, almost a thousand battery buffers, it feels so hackish makings things do what they weren't expected to be tasked with. I could use macros to make this an semi-automatic process and with redstone teleportation via TT speed it up, i haven't tried doing a teleportation link with TT yet tho, maybe not possible but i can live without it.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't i need the BG assembler to build the gates?
You need the BC Assembly(ing?) table, yes. And 1+ Lasers. They're not expensive unless you're having trouble with diamonds. The gears also may be tricky for you, I forget if you can do everything in LV here (I think you need to be able to compress 9 diamonds, slice them with a saw. Then you can save resources by combining them with gold in an assembling table to get a gear, but I believe that step is optional)

and don't the gates need RF? (or MJ even?)
BC no longer uses MJ, just RF. And we're able to plug these RF-consuming machines directly into the GT-EU grid.
I have a bunch of lasers on a 8x silver cable, they work fine.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure Directly? so no need for pneumaticraft to convert? because that has always been a problem for me.
Ohh i see tons of robots in BC is that kinda like the golems in TC? seems so to me, awesome :)

It seems it is LV, but if automagy has an working fluid detector i'll try that first.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
It seems it is LV, but if automagy has an working fluid detector i'll try that first.
A method of detecting if there is fluid in a tank? Other than the possibility of comparator stuff with a thirsty tank which I'm unsure if it would work or even if a comparator on a normal tank would work I'm not aware of any possibilities. It tends to have very powerful components though so it's easy to miss something.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
About avoiding waste trough overproduction, my way is not to buffer energy in form of EU or steam, but to buffer materials that need energy to process. Like ores i do not need right now, or aluminium/titanium/tungsten dust ready to be put in the EBF. Once my buffer is allmost full, i start producing stuff for later use with the sureplus energy. Late game, more Massfabs start.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
A method of detecting if there is fluid in a tank? Other than the possibility of comparator stuff with a thirsty tank which I'm unsure if it would work or even if a comparator on a normal tank would work I'm not aware of any possibilities. It tends to have very powerful components though so it's easy to miss something.
From RC wiki: "For your automation needs we recently added comparator support to the valves. Put a comparator next to a valve just like you would do with a chest and the output signal strength will correspond to the amount of liquid in the tank."
Seems like vanilla comparator is supported, i have never used comparator much as that is about the time i quit minecraft before, so it is new stuff to me lol :)

Holy cheese! it actually works:
2015-07-14_18.53.50.png

At first i tried putting the comparator next to a pipe connected to a output valve beneath the tank but then i remembered that i can just put in more valves lol, so i put a valve into the side for input valve and it worked :)

Here is a block i find quite useful in openblocks, village highlighter:
2015-07-14_19.04.07.png
2015-07-14_19.04.25.png

I did my village first without this but i stumbled upon it randomly, built it, put lever next to it and it worked its magic, simple to build and use, extremely useful for village building :)
Is this mod disabled/removed in the latest build? or was it some other mod?
(btw you can see how my golem spawning square is a little of center, the villagers aren't spreading around equally so i'll need to reset and force them around for perfect alignment)

Oh and you can see my nether wart farm in the distance in the first picture i'm combining it with lamp of growth and it provides so much nether wart :S

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Holy cheese! it actually works:
Make sure you monitor the levels over time, particularly when chunks load/unload. RC Tank + comparator has had problems in the past which is why I haven't used them.

Another bonus with using automagy with it is that there's a crystal that can emit a specific signal. You can use that with the comparator to produce logic like "emit a redstone signal when the tank is 13/15 full".

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you monitor the levels over time, particularly when chunks load/unload. RC Tank + comparator has had problems in the past which is why I haven't used them.

Another bonus with using automagy with it is that there's a crystal that can emit a specific signal. You can use that with the comparator to produce logic like "emit a redstone signal when the tank is 13/15 full".
I want to make it as efficient as possible so i'll need a gargantuan volume of steam storage so that i can burn through a lot of charcoal before it becomes full then the next time it is getting low it repeats, i could let a hopper receive a signal that prevents it and when steam level is low a timer will activate which inverts that signal for however long i want which releases a steady stream of charcoal into hoppers that are connected into the charcoal input of the HPCB's, i like it, i'll do this, it doesn't get more basic than that i believe, for a fully automated system without waste and an added benefit of being more efficient.

It will cost a crap-ton of steel tho but i can always expand my golem farm and the bronze blast furnace from 2 to 4 to keep up with another golem farm.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
For maximum cheesy volumes of steam storage you want to look into bedrockium drums :) (Possibly beyond your tech, definitely a grind)
Hehe i think those drums is higher tech but i don't mind the steel tanks, like i said: i like it big (lol) i'll just have to make a massive factory nearby, the idea here is to produce and store steam as efficiently as possible, for what goal? So my higher than normal amount of steam generators always has steam to tap into, if i went with the battery route, my machines would have pure unadulterated voltage to tap into via reusable batteries, or via single use batteries, but single use seems highly likely to be a flop and should remain a curiosity and i might have to avoid it. But batteries would mean i wouldn't need so many generators.

If only single use batteries were usuable while stacked, that would make them on-par with reusable batteries i think, it doesn't make sense that a single use battery has lower capacity than reuse batteries, gameplay wise and probably in real-life too, it is single use for a reason. But i dunno chemistry so it might be the opposite >.<; Gameplay wise it would be a choice between permanent battery with small capacity vs single use battery with large capacity. Even with a smaller capacity the reusable just seems plain better and thats what i wanted to go against.

I think i'll make it a little more complex than a 2 phase automation, i could regulate how many HPCB's are active instaid of just shutting them all down at once. What i want is as many permanently active HPCB's as possible without waste, activing them all and deactiving them all at over and over is not the most efficient way of doing things, there is some complexity involved here to make it awesome. But basics first: a 2 phase system it is :) Btw does the windowed tanks cause more lag than solid tanks? i'm not sure how much lag this will give me.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."
- John F. Kennedy Moon Speech - Rice Stadium

Last edited:

Thiria

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running version v3.1.3 of infiTech2, and I seem unable to craft ME chests? NEI shows the mats as 4 stainless steel plates, 2 ME glass cable - fluix, 2 good electronic circuits and a silver chest, however this does not work. Is this the correct materials? Is it NEI that is wrong or did I fuck something up?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm running version v3.1.3 of infiTech2, and I seem unable to craft ME chests? NEI shows the mats as 4 stainless steel plates, 2 ME glass cable - fluix, 2 good electronic circuits and a silver chest, however this does not work. Is this the correct materials? Is it NEI that is wrong or did I fuck something up?
I doubt you screwed it up, but can you please post a screenshot? It also helps to mouseover every recipe requirement just to make sure you have the right one, some look identical but aren't.

Reactions: Jason McRay

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Probably something you doing wrong. Works fine for me