[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yep :)

The good news is that you only need one chrome for 9 stainless steel. Its a hard-to-get, precious but effective resource.
Just for a different impression about centrifuging redstone: I actually mined enough ruby ore to get two stacks of chrome dust from it - enough for 18 stacks of stainless steel. I should say this is considerably faster than centrifuging redstone, if you can mine fast enough, and you only need to process six stacks of stuff rather than 40, to say nothing of how painfully slow redstone goes through the centrifuge. At the redstone vein, I ignored the upper three layers and they lowest, and mined only those in-between. Didn't take all that long.

I'm still going to try minechem for this, but I'm in the habit, when I need resources, to make them in batches so I don't need to deal with it constantly. I won't actually make 18 stacks of stainless steel though, one stack of chrome goes into upgrading my blast furnace - or not, as I'm discovering, for I need HV power to make the vacuum freezer. Not ready for that.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just for a different impression about centrifuging redstone: I actually mined enough ruby ore to get two stacks of chrome dust from it - enough for 18 stacks of stainless steel. I should say this is considerably faster than centrifuging redstone, if you can mine fast enough, and you only need to process six stacks of stuff rather than 40, to say nothing of how painfully slow redstone goes through the centrifuge. At the redstone vein, I ignored the upper three layers and they lowest, and mined only those in-between. Didn't take all that long.

I'm still going to try minechem for this, but I'm in the habit, when I need resources, to make them in batches so I don't need to deal with it constantly. I won't actually make 18 stacks of stainless steel though, one stack of chrome goes into upgrading my blast furnace - or not, as I'm discovering, for I need HV power to make the vacuum freezer. Not ready for that.
Yeah definitely leverage the ruby ore directly if you can. Worth noting you may need plenty of that ruby dust later on for higher tier stuff (you'll need plenty of it to make lapotron crystals)

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019

I'm getting that habbit as well, so good to have plently of some resource after going out of my way to target it :)

I'm hunting for antimony (for battery alloy) right now and doing needlestack explorational digging so i've dug lots of holes from high mountains down to bedrock every chunk on mountains near me.. still no antimony :'( (i did manage to find a redstone vein tho haha, tho i barely need it because of how i'm used to go to the nether to gather netherack to centrifuge into tiny redstone dusts, i guess a good source of mercury when i switch from sulfur based batteries some day)

But i'm sure i'll find it eventually and in the meanwhile my node grows, i have no idea how big a node i need but my current one got around 60-130 in all aspects, i'm planning on energizing it so i can finally upgrade my foci, they are all lowest level, i'm really curious how good they become with upgrading, ooh and voidmetal caps and primal staff!! so much stuff i have to explore :)

Also building a lotus chamber for essentia counting and logistics in the long run and i just got to try out the inventorium too from automagy.
Hope it is a good alternative to AE2 :D

I guess i should mention i put the large bronze boiler on hold, it is just too early for it so i built 8 high pressure coal boilers which can give me about 150L/t steam or 50EU/t... though i wish i could have 64*2 = 128 EU/t but then i would need 25+ HP coal boilers i guess a good middle ground is 64EU/t constant generation, usually don't need that much to run all the time, just macerator, centrifuge and maybe ore washer but with the extra EU freed i can do stuff at the same time without holding the usual ore processing, which will be nice.

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
For antimony I suggest making a jetpack or harness and flying around the nether, tetrahedrite spawns in there and the height limit isn't really a concern in it thanks to the different world gen.

Reactions: Tsuko

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For antimony I suggest making a jetpack or harness and flying around the nether, tetrahedrite spawns in there and the height limit isn't really a concern in it thanks to the different world gen.

I also just find tons of it in hills, same as tin. I have 8 or 9 veins of it within 2 km of my base that I've located so far.

Also building a lotus chamber for essentia counting and logistics in the long run and i just got to try out the inventorium too from automagy.
What are these things? I dont suppose you've found a mid-tier ability to store essentia (better than jars but before AE2)

Timeslice

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. LOL, I don't think there's another mod with so many machines.

Also, am I overlooking something or is ruby ore the only source of chrome?

There are also chrome bees. Most of the old IT2 testers used fields of redwheat to get redstone for centrifuging/electrolyzing out chrome.

Timeslice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting that habbit as well, so good to have plently of some resource after going out of my way to target it :)

I'm hunting for antimony (for battery alloy) right now and doing needlestack explorational digging so i've dug lots of holes from high mountains down to bedrock every chunk on mountains near me.. still no antimony :'( (i did manage to find a redstone vein tho haha, tho i barely need it because of how i'm used to go to the nether to gather netherack to centrifuge into tiny redstone dusts, i guess a good source of mercury when i switch from sulfur based batteries some day)

But i'm sure i'll find it eventually and in the meanwhile my node grows, i have no idea how big a node i need but my current one got around 60-130 in all aspects, i'm planning on energizing it so i can finally upgrade my foci, they are all lowest level, i'm really curious how good they become with upgrading, ooh and voidmetal caps and primal staff!! so much stuff i have to explore :)

I guess i should mention i put the large bronze boiler on hold, it is just too early for it so i built 8 high pressure coal boilers which can give me about 150L/t steam or 50EU/t... though i wish i could have 64*2 = 128 EU/t but then i would need 25+ HP coal boilers i guess a good middle ground is 64EU/t constant generation, usually don't need that much to run all the time, just macerator, centrifuge and maybe ore washer but with the extra EU freed i can do stuff at the same time without holding the usual ore processing, which will be nice.

Antimony comes from stibnite ore and as a byproduct of tetrahedrite, both of which are found in tetrahedrite veins.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Little strawpoll time for you all my dear InfiTech 2 players: http://strawpoll.me/4634699
This time, oddly enough, I have found several tin veins but had great trouble with Tetrahedrite veins, to the point that I thought things were bugged. I have plenty of hills at the right elevation but all that I found there was magnetite and coal - so much of that, in fact, that I stopped marking those veins on my map. Tetrahedrite veins are critical since you can't make batteries without antimony.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

I had wondered how people get the mercury you need in order to get significant amounts of gold, but centrifugung redstone dust - while being horribly inefficient as a source for chrome - is a rather good way of getting mercury - 3B for 10 pieces of dust. Also, centrifuging and electrolyzing spodumene and lepidolite should give you enough Lithium for the best batteries. I tend to stumble on those veins on my way to others. it's just too bad you can't recycle the lithium like the battery alloy if you switch to bigger batteries. That's a recipe I would like to see.

You do know that 6 single-aspect nodes work just as well as a source of centivis as one multi-aspect node, right? Growing a multi-aspect node is such a waste, I don't think I'll use that method again.

Lotus chamber? Never heard the term. From which mod is that?

I found that a Railcraft boiler is a good power source, and it has the advantage of being scaleable to your needs and capabilities to provide fuel. The Railcraft turbine is trickier since you need to automate the generation of Instrumentum for the rotor repair unless you want to waste tons of steel on it, but you can use four GT basic turbines (which are also considerably less expensive) to use an 36LP boiler's steam. That will get you 128 EU/t instead of 200, but it's still a good power source at that point.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah definitely leverage the ruby ore directly if you can. Worth noting you may need plenty of that ruby dust later on for higher tier stuff (you'll need plenty of it to make lapotron crystals)
I noticed - but redstone veins is one thing I'm not short of. Processing all the stuff is rather more annoying than acquiring the ores at this point, especially since it turned out I don't generate enough power to run my blast furnace and process ores at the same time. Never thought the centrifuge would use up so much power. I can run everything else without problems, but as soon as the centrifuge starts processing while my blast furnace is running, my power levels drop. It's also the slowest processing machine. It's been just a few days since I completed my power setup and already it's insufficient. Hmph.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Little strawpoll time for you all my dear InfiTech 2 players: http://strawpoll.me/4634699

Generally I can find a vein after a couple of days of searching around, but this time around I had to use the "cofh" command because I was getting desperate and a lack of tin was keeping me from progressing into the bronze age. As critical as tin is to getting started with GT, I am a bit surprised it can be so difficult to find at times.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
So I take it the Buildcraft refinery was disabled in favor of some GT version? If some can someone point me in the direct of said machine please.

Ok, found it. The distrillery or the distallation tower later on.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Generally I can find a vein after a couple of days of searching around, but this time around I had to use the "cofh" command because I was getting desperate and a lack of tin was keeping me from progressing into the bronze age. As critical as tin is to getting started with GT, I am a bit surprised it can be so difficult to find at times.
This is, in fact, my biggest grievance with GT ore generation. I like the idea in principle, but if the RNG is against you, or you're just unlucky with the shafts you dig, some critical resources can be extremely hard to find. Also, I consider it a design flaw that one element critical to progress to the HV tier (manganese) appears to be rarer than diamonds. I think I may have preferred the biome dependency of the earlier GT versions - you always knew where you needn't bother digging if you were looking for something specific - but I guess that was unsustainable with the prevalence of mods that add many biomes.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I noticed - but redstone veins is one thing I'm not short of. Processing all the stuff is rather more annoying than acquiring the ores at this point, especially since it turned out I don't generate enough power to run my blast furnace and process ores at the same time. Never thought the centrifuge would use up so much power. I can run everything else without problems, but as soon as the centrifuge starts processing while my blast furnace is running, my power levels drop. It's also the slowest processing machine. It's been just a few days since I completed my power setup and already it's insufficient. Hmph.
One thing newer GT players have a hard time coming to terms with is the necessity of spamming machines. Because "spamming" is automatically negative and bad right? Definitely in Minecraft!

But in Gregtech, if you're doing it right, you're building factories. Its not always enough to simply build "better", you sometimes need to build "more".

So I take it the Buildcraft refinery was disabled in favor of some GT version? If some can someone point me in the direct of said machine please.
Ok, found it. The distrillery or the distallation tower later on.
That distillation tower is glorious to the point of near-OP. Especially if you use the output to create nitro-diesel. Like you should :)

This is, in fact, my biggest grievance with GT ore generation. I like the idea in principle, but if the RNG is against you, or you're just unlucky with the shafts you dig, some critical resources can be extremely hard to find. Also, I consider it a design flaw that one element critical to progress to the HV tier (manganese) appears to be rarer than diamonds. I think I may have preferred the biome dependency of the earlier GT versions - you always knew where you needn't bother digging if you were looking for something specific - but I guess that was unsustainable with the prevalence of mods that add many biomes.
I'd call it more of a design "problem", since there's no superior alternative.

The problem is, this difficulty of finding a rare ore is realistic. If we used the standard ore generation, you'd be able to get everything you need immediately just by plonking down a few max-sized quarries. That's no solution.

I'm not sure where I stand on the biome-specific dependency. You're right that that is a strong alternative,and you're extremely right that saturating the biome list can create problems for it.

I think it would have worked better if there was an in-game feedback to tell you how the ore generation worked with the biomes in the pack specifically. Either a button you could press while in a biome that listed all the possible ores, or a manual that dynamically broke down ores per biome, or something of that nature. Maybe :)

Reactions: Timeslice

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of liked the old system where you knew to find certain ores you would find certain ores in certain biomes but I have to admit that once you start finding a couple veins, you will be set for a long time. I have found a couple veins from most the common ores already (only one tin but thankfully I am almost done with most my bronze requirement) and probably will be set for a long time.

That distillation tower is glorious to the point of near-OP. Especially if you use the output to create nitro-diesel. Like you should :)

Never used it before but from a few youtube videos I have seen it look very useful, a little beyond my tech at this point as I am just starting the LV era. I was just trying to plan out how I was going to go about making my offshore drill and being powering some basic diesel generators (it will be nice to finally be off steam power!). So the distrillery will have to do for now :)