[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to suck up energy in lv age? apparently a stirling engine is too much power for a forestly tree farm and it keep exploding
I could use kinesis pipes but I dont have where to send it..
I can't recommend the EnderIO Stirling Generator enough for stuff like this. a) It doesn't explode. b) It's upgradeable to be more efficient/powerful c) It doesn't explode.

Reactions: Miguel1118

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one using the Hobbyst Steam Engine for the Forestry tree farm? I make steam, anyway, and steam is easy to transport. It's slow, but balancing with the growth rate of the trees, it seems about right. And, I think it's cheaper than many other options. I didn't do the math, but it feels way cheaper than the Ender IO Stirling Engine. (my farm is not the maximum size and there may be ways of growing trees faster, that I'm not aware of, but there is also the Commercial Engine, for this situation)

And it doesn't explode! (if you use steam, you don't need water)

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone experienced with opencomputers mind pointing me to somewhere that has a decent dialer program for stargates? I've tried interfacing myself, but can't seem to get farther than having the Iris open/close. Opencomputers seems over my head, I'm just getting the little piggies wet with lua right now.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Stirling engines shouldn't explode either if you don't attach them directly. Use some sort of Buildcraft-compatible piping or cabling in between.

Attaching engines directly has been a bad idea in Buildcraft since the dawn of time, really. It's a bit like building GregTech machines without having a roof over your head. It technically works fine for a while, but eventually it'll rain and something will explode. (That's still a thing, right? It used to be a thing. I haven't actually used GregTech since early 1.5.x.) It's just that very few people care enough about Buildcraft beyond the quarry to actually figure out how it works :p

But yeah, the hobbyist engine is fantastic for Forestry farms. I always use them for my treefarms when I first set them up - together with an autocrafting table and some basic Buildcraft gates, it's easy to rig a system that branches off just a tiny amount of wood from the output of the farm to make into planks for fueling the engine. Well, in normal play, anyway... with Gregtech halving the plank output, it's not really that efficient anymore. But perhaps a single coke oven is fast enough to keep the engine stocked with charcoal. I'd have to check.

P.S.: It's a Buildcraft style engine. Don't attach it directly. Even if it doesn't explode, it's going to be inefficient. Just don't attach Buildcraft style engines directly, ever. :p

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I found something fairly useful and definitely of note to anyone using thaumcraft, automagy has an infinite water system. It generates water at the same speed as the Ender IO reservoir but is a single block that just has to be placed next to a water source block, it also acts as a pump if placed next to flowing water but the ability to generate water at the same speed as a reservoir in less space is very nice. It is kind of trickier to make though, the notable costs being a water shard and an ender pearl along with requiring thaumcraft research to unlock, good alternative to the reservoir for before you can get transfer nodes for ultimate water generation.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I found something fairly useful and definitely of note to anyone using thaumcraft, automagy has an infinite water system. It generates water at the same speed as the Ender IO reservoir but is a single block that just has to be placed next to a water source block, it also acts as a pump if placed next to flowing water but the ability to generate water at the same speed as a reservoir in less space is very nice. It is kind of trickier to make though, the notable costs being a water shard and an ender pearl along with requiring thaumcraft research to unlock, good alternative to the reservoir for before you can get transfer nodes for ultimate water generation.
Good tip. No running cost?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Good tip. No running cost?
Not as far as I can tell, it's basically just a magical reservoir alternative with more cost to make but smaller and less infrastructure as it just needs a crucible and arcane workbench as opposed to an alloy smelter.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
now that you mentioned the transfer node, does this mean that a transfere node does not realy break/use the block he is pointed at? But emulate this and just create the same kind of block again in his inventory?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
now that you mentioned the transfer node, does this mean that a transfere node does not realy break/use the block he is pointed at? But emulate this and just create the same kind of block again in his inventory?
The important part is the world interaction upgrade and it's fairly complicated as it does four different things depending on what it's pointing at. All of what it can do I'll list here, you can also check NEI for this btw. In all case multiple upgrades stack I believe, too many and you get diminishing returns though.
  • Pointing it at a block of cobblestone adjacent to a lava and water source blocks will cause it to generate cobblestone.
  • Pointing it at a crafting table will make it automatically craft using inventories behind the crafting table in the way it's facing, a 3x3 grid of inventories directly maps to the crafting grid.
  • Pointing it at nothing will cause it pick up any items that are in front of it, it can be filtered as normal making it great for automating AE2 crystals under normal circumstances. Autoclaves kind of make it redundant there.
  • Pointing it at a water source adjacent to two others will cause it to generate a bucket of water a second, the same as a thirsty tank or reservoir, it's advantage is being much more space efficient, you can get a few hundred buckets a second with five stacks of world and one stack of speed.

So yeah, generally unless you're trying to do something nuts like power a couple of max big reactors you should never need more water then a single transfer node will supply. For most cases though the thirsty tank would be more then enough and it is the most compact requiring only two blocks where the others require 3/4.

Reactions: Dentvar

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The important part is the world interaction upgrade and it's fairly complicated as it does four different things depending on what it's pointing at. All of what it can do I'll list here, you can also check NEI for this btw. In all case multiple upgrades stack I believe, too many and you get diminishing returns though.
  • Pointing it at a block of cobblestone adjacent to a lava and water source blocks will cause it to generate cobblestone.
  • Pointing it at a crafting table will make it automatically craft using inventories behind the crafting table in the way it's facing, a 3x3 grid of inventories directly maps to the crafting grid.
  • Pointing it at nothing will cause it pick up any items that are in front of it, it can be filtered as normal making it great for automating AE2 crystals under normal circumstances. Autoclaves kind of make it redundant there.
  • Pointing it at a water source adjacent to two others will cause it to generate a bucket of water a second, the same as a thirsty tank or reservoir, it's advantage is being much more space efficient, you can get a few hundred buckets a second with five stacks of world and one stack of speed.

So yeah, generally unless you're trying to do something nuts like power a couple of max big reactors you should never need more water then a single transfer node will supply. For most cases though the thirsty tank would be more then enough and it is the most compact requiring only two blocks where the others require 3/4.
I believe the first one is disabled in infitech2 fwiw, and I *thought* the last one was disabled but who knows.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Last night I started playing around with some cursed earth spawners. Thought I'd share some lessons learned.

1. Don't try to use a eIO Killer Joe in a Cursed Earth Spawn room. Creepers do not like Killer Joes. Multiple creepers blowing up at the same time tend to break a bunch of stuff. After losing 3 vacuum chests I decided to do some creative mode testing:
a) Diamond spikes don't seem to cause creepers to explode as they are killed. I didn't test gold/iron spikes, but am assuming similar results.
2. Open Blocks Fans are pretty cheap, require only a redstone torch/lever to power, and a few of them will make mobs move better than trying to set up a bunch of dispensers and a timer system to push mobs off with water. IHL tools has an industrial fan, but it requires more robust power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Last night I started playing around with some cursed earth spawners. Thought I'd share some lessons learned.

1. Don't try to use a eIO Killer Joe in a Cursed Earth Spawn room. Creepers do not like Killer Joes. Multiple creepers blowing up at the same time tend to break a bunch of stuff. After losing 3 vacuum chests I decided to do some creative mode testing:
a) Diamond spikes don't seem to cause creepers to explode as they are killed. I didn't test gold/iron spikes, but am assuming similar results.
2. Open Blocks Fans are pretty cheap, require only a redstone torch/lever to power, and a few of them will make mobs move better than trying to set up a bunch of dispensers and a timer system to push mobs off with water. IHL tools has an industrial fan, but it requires more robust power.
There's fans in, um, one of the other mods that dont require power (just a redstone signal) that may be ideal for this.

Thaumcraft also has researchables that attract and repel mobs.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
There's fans in, um, one of the other mods that dont require power (just a redstone signal) that may be ideal for this.

Thaumcraft also has researchables that attract and repel mobs.
Yeah, the OpenBlocks Fan just requires the redstone signal. I haven't gotten to that point in Thaumcraft yet. eIO has mob attractor/repeller as well, but you're required to add a soul for each mob you want to attract.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the first one is disabled in infitech2 fwiw, and I *thought* the last one was disabled but who knows.
They both work fine for me in a test world, I'm not sure it's actually possible to disable just part of the world upgrade anyway. Disabling it seems kinda pointless though, the only mass use for cobble is bedrockium and singularities and neither of those are particularly good given their huge costs.