[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
I think a lot of those screenshots are form the old world on the official infitech server. You cant get the savefile since it doesnt exist anymore, and even if it did it would be several gigabytes...

M

MainFreak1

Hello Jason! I play on the official server and wanted to ask if you could add the statues mod in the pack. Just for decorative purposes. You can build statues out of any block, dye it, change it's position and give it an item. It is pretty handy to decorate your base with something nice and simple. By the way, I love the way you rebalanced the pack! You are awesome!

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
Ah thanks, I didn't think you could regain the missing health from the normal fragment and had to use the deity soul to regain.

Osmotic enchanter is a great item. Need access to EV machines to be able to make the Adamantium though. It lets you pick what enchants you want to put on an item instead of dealing with books or random chance. Get a decent energized node and you are set.

Something a little easier that is really handy would be the Thaumatorium. Makes duplication and transmutation so much easier with both being really useful at pretty much all stages of the game. A little low on a specific metal? Sacrifice a metal you have a lot of (or mana beans) to duplicate the metal you need. Great for clay and certus quartz as well.

Thaumic restorer makes repairing items and gear simple (except GT tools). Burn flint for some instrumentum and done.

The dynamism tablet is essentially the autonomous activator. Auto right click or left clicks things. Have one set up to auto fill a cauldron for easier dust cleaning. Can also use it to kill mobs.

Honestly I could probably go on all day. Thaumcraft is one of my favorite mods and offers a lot.

why not use the enchanter? sure it costs items to enchant a book to add to something but you can get almost every enchant that is vanilla or from most mods. excluding the special ones from the osmotic enchanter. also you dont need vis or to do any thaumcraft. if i recall it was also easier to get and i got it way sooner. dark steel, diamond, and a book... not that hard to get.

also with the clay comment if you make alumentum with the "auto crucible" and you use cobblestone you get extra terra aspects. then you pump that into another setup set to make clay and use an alchemical boiler to turn water into essence and tada you got infinite clay.

here is an example http://imgur.com/a/BdumZ

Last edited:

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
A large bronze boiler?

http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Large_Boiler

See the second-last graph for steam per tick per coal.

im missing something... i got the amount of steam/t but im uncertain about how much steam each mv turbine uses. wiki says 528 steam per usage. sure there is a loss. without loss per use it would be 3000~ from all my turbines (6) im using on the large boiler. if its making 16,000 per/t and running out of steam to send then they have to be using it a lot faster then that. anyone know the actual number? does usuage mean faster then /t?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
im missing something... i got the amount of steam/t but im uncertain about how much steam each mv turbine uses. wiki says 528 steam per usage. sure there is a loss. without loss per use it would be 3000~ from all my turbines (6) im using on the large boiler. if its making 16,000 per/t and running out of steam to send then they have to be using it a lot faster then that. anyone know the actual number? does usuage mean faster then /t?
Dude, sorry. I said that was steam per tick per coal. Its just steam per coal.
The actual value is also in that wiki on the right: 800 mb/t.

According to the wiki, the MV turbines run at 50% efficiency. I suspect Blood has already tweaked that, but if he hasn't, you're looking at 792 mb/t consumption. So one Bronze Boiler could feed one MV turbine with a bit of steam wasted (or buffered)

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik its already been changed so MV would be 75% efficiency. If we consider transmission losses the total need would be (128+4)/0.75*2= 352 mb/t steam to run a MV turbine. Considering that you should be able to run at least 2 MV turbines off 1 bronze boiler

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019

According to the wiki, the MV turbines run at 50% efficiency. I suspect Blood has already tweaked that, but if he hasn't, you're looking at 792 mb/t consumption. So one Bronze Boiler could feed one MV turbine with a bit of steam wasted (or buffered)

thats weird cause i know i can run 3 of them with extra steam in my tank. i just wasnt sure how much it was each. thank you for the numbers though.

P

Pyromancer56

why not use the enchanter? sure it costs items to enchant a book to add to something but you can get almost every enchant that is vanilla or from most mods. excluding the special ones from the osmotic enchanter. also you dont need vis or to do any thaumcraft. if i recall it was also easier to get and i got it way sooner. dark steel, diamond, and a book... not that hard to get.

also with the clay comment if you make alumentum with the "auto crucible" and you use cobblestone you get extra terra aspects. then you pump that into another setup set to make clay and use an alchemical boiler to turn water into essence and tada you got infinite clay.

here is an example http://imgur.com/a/BdumZ
The question was what are some things to work towards in Thaumcraft.

N

Navarin

Is this 800mb/t still accurate? The wiki says that in GT5.09 all large boilers were buffed, including the bronze boiler to 32k steam per charcoal instead of 16k. If that's true, and it still consumes 1 charcoal every second, that means the output would have to be buffed to 1.6k steam per tick.

Or was the consumption rate changed?

If above information is true, as well as the 75% efficiency, it would explain ultima being able to run 3 turbines per boiler.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is this 800mb/t still accurate? The wiki says that in GT5.09 all large boilers were buffed, including the bronze boiler to 32k steam per charcoal instead of 16k. If that's true, and it still consumes 1 charcoal every second, that means the output would have to be buffed to 1.6k steam per tick.

Or was the consumption rate changed?

If above information is true, as well as the 75% efficiency, it would explain ultima being able to run 3 turbines per boiler.
I believe the 800mb/t is still accurate, and the efficiency has changed. So a piece of coal simply lasts longer (While still producing 800 mb/t)

Reactions: Navarin
N

Navarin

I believe the 800mb/t is still accurate, and the efficiency has changed. So a piece of coal simply lasts longer (While still producing 800 mb/t)

You are correct, the tooltip describes 16000mb/sec (800mb/tick) and charcoal burned every 2 seconds. Just checked on Infitech 3.2.8.

C

ColdComfort

Is there a primer/explanation of steam machinery somewhere? Like input/output configuration on boilers? I'm trying to pipe water into my small coal boiler, but if there's a pipe update while it's hot, suddenly the pipe that was once inputting water is now inexplicably a steam output pipe, (and of course is on fire and shooting steam everywhere). Any way around this, other than just abandoning wooden piping? ("Don't have pipe updates on hot boilers"?)

Also wondering about insufficient steam behaviour. Is the steam consumed if the operation fails? Is there any way around the Soft Hammer not correctly disabling steam machines so they stop the operation in progress, and stop consuming steam endlessly?

Edit: Also, does steam pipe length affect steam transmission? Does it degrade over distance? Is it possible to calculate or tell how much a machine is producing or consuming, or if your pipes are a limiting factor?

Was also surprised when a solar boiler caused a massive explosion after I connected water piping. Not the best surprise...

Indeed it is possible, the two most notable options are cobalt and thamium. The former spawns as cobaltite in nickel veins, the latter spawns as dungeon loot or is craftable with thaumcraft from iron or shards.

make an industrial diamond. or use the AE2 grinder for somewhat better yield on the early "pure" ores

I searched this thread and found this innovative idea. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Actually managed to find a Thaumonomicon in a TC dungeon (which I had forgotten existed...) and later realized you could make hardened leather with candleberries. (TMYK!)

N

Navarin

Is there a primer/explanation of steam machinery somewhere? Like input/output configuration on boilers? I'm trying to pipe water into my small coal boiler, but if there's a pipe update while it's hot, suddenly the pipe that was once inputting water is now inexplicably a steam output pipe, (and of course is on fire and shooting steam everywhere). Any way around this, other than just abandoning wooden piping? ("Don't have pipe updates on hot boilers"?)

Also wondering about insufficient steam behaviour. Is the steam consumed if the operation fails? Is there any way around the Soft Hammer not correctly disabling steam machines so they stop the operation in progress, and stop consuming steam endlessly?

I can't point at a primer, but I can answer your questions.

First, boilers won't output to their bottom, so piping in water there with wooden pipes should be safe. That's what I do early game, reservoir auto-output to wooden pipes -> run the pipe under the boilers.

The reason your solar boiler exploded is you piped water into an already hot boiler.

Steam machines are pretty dumb, they will consume steam endlessly unless you give them enough steam to finish the operation. That's why they benefit so much from a buffer, especially one you can measure the amount of. For what they do, iron tanks from railcraft are an extremely cheap and effective way to handle the situation.

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
ok so big question is it worth sifting gem dusts? ive kinda skipped around the book and felt like i dont even need it. the % of each doesnt seem to outweight any other process.

C

ColdComfort

I can't point at a primer, but I can answer your questions.

First, boilers won't output to their bottom, so piping in water there with wooden pipes should be safe. That's what I do early game, reservoir auto-output to wooden pipes -> run the pipe under the boilers.

The reason your solar boiler exploded is you piped water into an already hot boiler.

Steam machines are pretty dumb, they will consume steam endlessly unless you give them enough steam to finish the operation. That's why they benefit so much from a buffer, especially one you can measure the amount of. For what they do, iron tanks from railcraft are an extremely cheap and effective way to handle the situation.

Thanks for the info! Great idea with the railtank boiler though, I just kind of assumed that it wouldn't be compatible with whatever steam Gregtech produced.

I figured that was why the boiler exploded (after the fact), but not knowing any of the mechanics, I didn't expect it to happen. :/

N

Navarin

Thanks for the info! Great idea with the railtank boiler though, I just kind of assumed that it wouldn't be compatible with whatever steam Gregtech produced.

I figured that was why the boiler exploded (after the fact), but not knowing any of the mechanics, I didn't expect it to happen. :/

A couple things for managing steam buffers:

You can figure out exactly how much steam an operation will consume if you use NEI to look up the recipe. For regular (not high pressure) steam machines, each two millibuckets/liters of steam is represents one EU, and operations will take twice as long as an electric machine of the same type. Thus, if you multiply total EU requirement by 4, you can calculate exactly how much steam an operation will take.

Example:

3 Copper Ingots + 1 Tin Ingot = 4 Bronze Ingots in an Alloy Smelter
16 EU/t (32L steam/t)
10 seconds (20 seconds)
16EU*200ticks=3200 EU (32L*400ticks=12800L steam)

In this recipe, the alloy smelter will consume 32x20=640L/sec of steam, which is comfortably under the capacity of a small bronze fluid pipe.

Also, Steam machines can perform any recipe up to 16eu/t.

If you build your RC tank with the fluid output on the bottom, it will auto-output to connected pipes/tanks without the need for extraction or a pump cover. If you put it on the second level, it's controllable by redstone.

EDIT: Just saw your edit above. One of the benefits of steam (and fuel in general) is that it doesn't have lossy transmission over distance like electricity. Placing your steam turbines next to your machines and piping in steam from a central, large buffer is a completely fine way to go about things. One of the major differences between GregTech vs the rest of modded minecraft is that electricity should be produced as locally as possible (at least for most of the game) since EU loss can really add up over cables, rather than having a "power room" that dumps power into lossless fluxducts or whatever.

What steam will do, that can be frustrating at times, is slosh. Assuming this hasn't been changed recently, GregTech pipes output half of their internal tank every 10 ticks (twice a second) to every available tank around it. Which means that if you have a pipe system A->B->C, stuff can go from B back to A even though you're trying to get it into a machine past C.

You can counter this behavior with shutters or by having pipes fully pressurized. Full pipes don't slosh because there's nowhere for the steam to go but forward into the steam consumers. I actually like sloshing because it provides a reason to not use massive pipes everywhere, aside from expense.

That said, EIO fluid conduits are a much less annoying experience unless you want the challenge/awesome aesthetic of GT pipes everywhere.

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
ok so big question is it worth sifting gem dusts? ive kinda skipped around the book and felt like i dont even need it. the % of each doesnt seem to outweight any other process.
If you don't care about the byproducts gotten for the alternative route and want gems and not dusts then yes barely, going for the sifter gives something like +5% gem output over the alternative for stuff like diamonds and emeralds. For ones like quartz where it's not tiered gems it's significantly better.