[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Brilliant, with the frames available from there you should be able to quickly cultivate new breeds without spending to much time. Hopefully you won't have to venture that far into thaumcraft to get them. If i remember correctly the metabolic frame increases the mutation chance and necrotic decreases the lifespan of the bees. Finally there was an oblivion fram that basically makes the lifespan one cycle but removes all products which i think was rather hard to get
I briefly looked into them yesterday, they didn't seem horribly out of reach. There might be a piece I'm missing though.

I suspect the biggest piece of the puzzle is just churning out lots of magic wax. I kinda like this mechanic a bit because it gives us a use for ignoble bees: just set up a bunch of ignoble sorcerous/mystical/etc bees which do nothing but produce drones and combs for magic wax.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Using the magical frames you can decimate the time it takes to breed the bees by a LOT so it is likely the way to go. If i remember correctly the fastest way would be to use 1 oblivion frames and 2 metabolic frames. Then each breeding cycle takes about 30 seconds and has the cultivation has a 260% chance of happening

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not actually sure, ive never gotten around to using those frames when iv'e done bees so if someone could clarify what it actually does that would be really helpfull. I can imagine thought that if it just ordinary flux events the problems could be taken care of with a flux scrubber around the apiaries.

I also think getting into bees early one would help a lot for those relying on thaumcraft for their steel production. If you can automate decent amounts of beeswax (that contains 3 ordo) that would be an excellent way of producing steel since making an automated ordoberry farm is no longer an option early on (i think).

Alternatively you can smelt cobble into stone and chisel it into chiseled stone bricks as that is also readily available as you will be mining a lot regardless. Makes big contruction projects a bit problematic early on though :)

Last edited:

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Flux Scrubber will take care of any Flux that shows up, be happy this is 1.7 and not 1.8(the flux gets bad fast in 1.8)

Or you can look into a Purifying Bee, this will cleanse the area (also gives you Essentia crystals based off of the node)

Another issue is that the Frame that Destroys there life cycle requires a Dragon Egg too make(Unless they changed it recently, I haven't been that deep into Magic Bees sense 1.6.4) so you either only get 1 egg perworld, or you make the Draconic Bees

Last edited:

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
How do you deal with the flux problems I'm reading about? (And what does that flux problem actually mean)
I've used magic bee frames through 3 packs now. No issues with flux. I think you may be reading about thaumcraft 3.x version of magic bees.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
The best way i found is to make sure you have at least 15-20 purebreed drones (in essence no more variation so all the produced drones stack). Once you have that you start breeding the new species with the appropriate queen and drone. Then you work at that untill you have both a purebreed queen and drone and you start building upp a new excess of drones. Then in case your next mutation goes poorly as it can do if you are unlucky then you can always stabilize the queen back to the previous level and start over.

Thats basically what i did in IT2 V2.1/2.2 last spring when Mugik still ran his own server, though out of force of habit, i always kept a stack of each bee id successfully made into a pure breed - i have horrible luck with cross breeding, usually when it comes to imperial bees and if i have anything less than a 3/4 stack, id usually end up running out of bees (granted, most of my experiences were from before i learned about magic frames from Mugik) before i stabilized the trait.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think you may be reading about thaumcraft 3.x version of magic bees.
Its funny, I kinda thought maybe the wikis were addressing 5.x versions of TC for some reason.

Hopefully you're right and the wikis I've been looking at are just outta date.

fwiw this is an example wiki: http://ftbwiki.org/Necrotic_Frame

It talks about depleting the nearby aura, which I know makes zero sense in 4.x, but it kinda sorta makes sense in 5.x (and presumably 3.x with which I'm not familiar) but more importantly threatens to flux my area, which is more or less plausible in 4.x through something like the crucible mechanism.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
I uppgraded and improved my electric blast furnace a bit with the border sharing on the multiblocks :) I went from 3 to 6 without that much of an investment. It was a nice exercise in learning how to make combined multiblock structures :)

http://prntscr.com/arull2

They can actually share all the different input/outputs with eachother, however you cannot do it with all slots. For instance the front side has 7 slots available so my solution was to make it share 3 input busses and 2 output busses and 2 single output busses. Im gonna automate the input into the blast furnaces from a shared chest that sends out with round robin settings. Since some of them will be dedicated to steel and some to titanium i will also do a blacklist filter on the input slots so titanium/wrought iron gets sent to the correct input bus. i will make a similar system for the output where all hot ingots get sent into the freezer with a higher priority white list and everything else get sent into a buffer chest

The backside is a bit more complicated. Like the other side only one input that can be shared in sets of two across all of them. For the ones shared by 2 blast furnaces each i choose power since one HV input hatch can recieve 2 amps so it makes sense to power 2 blast furnace with every input hatch. Every blast furnace also has its own maintainance hatch straight in the middle and input hatches has the same configuration as the output busses with 2 shared and 2 single.

http://prntscr.com/aruq3g

ive set the side blast furnaces to make steel with oxygen and the 4 middle ones to accept the titanium liquid when i make titanium ingots.

This was my prefered setup but you can actually share the inputs however you please and i could just as well make them share 3 maintanance hatches and use 6 HV input hatches in the middle instead so it is rather flexible :) You could also fit one additional blast furnace within a chunk border but that is where the limit is so its probably best to avoid making more than 7 in a row.

Reactions: Pyure

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
On a side notice i noticed that to get the more advanced frames from magic bees you need to cultivate your way into the spirit bee breed so potentially this should be the first thing one tries to go for when starting out with bees to speed up the rest. It is quite a long breeding process to achieve these ones and you can reach the breed in a few different ways. Anyone happen to know an updated overview on how to cultivate all the different branches of bees?

Last edited:

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Aw man that sucks.
Naw, you can make magic frames without spirit bees. I'ts just 8 sticks surrounding enchanted cloth. Super cheap and easy to make. Joel apparently doesn't have the magic bees page of the thaumonomicon fully researched :)

Reactions: Pyure

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Seems i had a poor choice of words, ile edit above. The magic frames i meant in plural for all different types of frames from magic bees not THE magic frame which indeed only requires those simple mats. However all the more advanced frames that let you improve the speed of cultivating (metabolic, necrotic, oblivion frames) require soulful wax which can only be gotten from spirit bees which requires quite a lot of cultivation.
The lines you need are

spirit - (etheral+aware or attuned+aware)
Aware - etheral+Attuned (attuned is a basic or dungeon bee one i think)
ethereal - arcane+supernatural
Arcane - esoteric+mysterious

etc etc ile try and figure the entire line of breeding out tomorrow

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
yikes. That's a shame.
Do we not have any means of speeding up bees besides Magic Bees? we used to have soul frames, I think those are gone now :( (we don't use extra bees or some such I gather)

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Seems i had a poor choice of words, ile edit above. The magic frames i meant in plural for all different types of frames from magic bees not THE magic frame which indeed only requires those simple mats. However all the more advanced frames that let you improve the speed of cultivating (metabolic, necrotic, oblivion frames) require soulful wax which can only be gotten from spirit bees which requires quite a lot of cultivation.
The lines you need are

spirit - (etheral+aware or attuned+aware)
Aware - etheral+Attuned (attuned is a basic or dungeon bee one i think)
ethereal - arcane+supernatural
Arcane - esoteric+mysterious

etc etc ile try and figure the entire line of breeding out tomorrow
Naw, check your thaumonomicon again man. There are simple TC alchemy recipes to get all of the advanced magic frames. Instead of an unstable propolis just use netherrack. The only advanced frame that requires more advanced bees is the oblivion frame.

For necromatic frames:
UtW4tDH.png

For metabolic frames:
6PLFGTu.png

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Naw, check your thaumonomicon again man. There are simple TC alchemy recipes to get all of the advanced magic frames. Instead of an unstable propolis just use netherrack. The only advanced frame that requires more advanced bees is the oblivion frame.

For necromatic frames:
UtW4tDH.png

For metabolic frames:
6PLFGTu.png

I'm actually legitimately surprised that hasnt changed since 2.2 ...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I suspect I've seen this debate before, but: Necrotic or Metabolic when crossbreeding?

Metabolic increases mutation chance by 80%, but Necrotic lets you cycle three times faster....

Maybe Metabolic for low-fertility bees, and Necrotic for high?

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry is 100 x easier then trying to manually manipulate everything(unless your trying to do it without.... which is just well ... a pain in the ass)