[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I started the pack last week, and a few days ago I got a message that the server I played on has now started an Infitech2 instance... ugh. I've only spent one week in my SSP world, but even that much work is too much to just drop it, go to the server, and begin all over again. There's certainly not enough time in the day to play both SMP and SSP. On the server, I don't have any cheat mode if I make a mistake and do anything wrong, and of course I'll have to find all my ores the hard way, instead of cheating to find them. I guess I'm not as much of a "GT tough guy" as I thought I was. LOL

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I understand progression - without it, I usually lose interest in playing any game - however it just seems like if all the helpful stuff is "end-game" because its "too powerful for early-game", then we're gonna go thru the vast majority of our time in the game without these things that would really help us to free up our time. If it's all "end-game", then the only time it will be useful is at the end, when we've already done all the hard work where this stuff would have helped us out bigtime.

So I guess your attitude Pyure is the proper one - basically, just forget that stuff even exists and just "slog it out" like a GT boss. :)
Well there's two problems here. One is that all your favorite stuff is high-tech. And I actually really get that: I like what I like, and nobody can tell me to like something else, period. So really, that part is just gonna suck for you if you absolutely love AE2 and can't get to it early.

Another problem is that you have a bit of a polarized notion on the idea of "helpful stuff." Its either helpful or not from your perspective it seems. I think you should consider taking this as an opportunity to try to leverage some of the early and midgame helpful stuff that you are probably accustomed to skipping. For instance logistics pipes. Even forestry workbenches are amazing for mass-producing GT stuff that requires a million annoying widgets (or rather...it used to be. Its buggy lately, Forestry is working on it)

On the server, I don't have any cheat mode if I make a mistake and do anything wrong, and of course I'll have to find all my ores the hard way, instead of cheating to find them. I guess I'm not as much of a "GT tough guy" as I thought I was. LOL
I hate server play because I can't use the NEI trashcan or switch it to daytime whenever I want to, I'm not a MC tough guy either :p

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on the public server now for almost 3 weeks and I've only got around 8 LV machines built. And it's not that I can't build more machines (now that I finally found a redstone vein), or progress on to the MV era. I've already made all the alloys I'll need to craft my first EBF and the plates for it are sitting in the output chest of my plate bender. It's just that I'm so busy with other parts of the modpack that I didn't really use before the last time I played that I have no time to dedicate to building GT machines. I'll get around to it eventually. In the meantime I'm enjoying delving deep into Thaumcraft (and using it to replace many of the early game things that are a pita in GT. I'm also actually building buildings this time around instead of just digging a hole in the ground.

When I do get back around to finishing off all of the LV machines on my to-build list I'll be tallying up how many of each component (ie motors, pumps, fans, pistons, hulls) I'll need to complete the remaining items. And then if I need, for example, 32 LV motors I'm gonna build 32 motors and set them aside in a project table for later. Now that I've got the plate bender, lather, wire mill, and polarizer the only machines that are really time/resource saving to build out the rest are maybe the cutting machine for bolts and screws. Basically just assembly line this stuff and slog through it in an afternoon.

I also intend to build some RC steam turbines and see if some kind soul would let me use their EBF to make enough aluminum to make a transformer and MV input for my EBF so I can skip making 5 basic steam turbines and all those battery buffers.

And even though I'm playing this modpack significantly differently than I did last time through I'm still not touching a ton of mods or large swathes of some mods. There's plenty to do besides focus on getting that next tier of GT machine.

Edit: My only real motivation right now to power through the GT machines is to get the Universal Macerator so that I can produce sand quickly and easily. So I can smelt it into glass and use it for Thaumcraft stuff.

Also, I'd much rather play on a server than SSP. I only use SSP for testing things that might blow up or waste tons of resources. I don't like the temptation of being able to make it day, shut off the rain, or cheat "just this one time". I don't want to know the seed, find a stronghold faster, or be able to find out where a particular biome I need is. Also, it's fun for me to talk to others and see how other people's ideas become reality in their bases and implementations.

Last edited:

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
So last night I started designing and building my mob spawning tower. I built it tall (80) and I built it wide (20x20). So far at the top I have a vanilla iron golem foundry because I'm sort of lazy when it comes to mining tons of iron. That's working great considering I finished it last night at 2am and already have 3 stacks of iron ingots.

I've killed a wither so I can acquire Cursed Dark Earth now. That'll be the primary basis for my mob farm. I'll be feeding overflow loot from the mob farm into alchemical furnaces (eventually an advanced alchemical furnace, but not there yet) for essentia. I plan to kill with conveyor belts and enchanted diamond spikes.

I was browsing through some old threads and I just realized that I can plant some silverywood sapplings on the soil of my mob spawn pads before I turn it to cursed dark earth with the intention of getting a pure node. Then I can chop down the tree, leaving the node. When the soil turns to cursed dark earth I should get Pechs to spawn. I wonder if something similar would happen with thaumcraft zombies and maybe even ethereal guardians if I put a crappy sinister node up there too?

I've also started marking some mob spawners. I've got a few wisp spawners collected to place up in there. Thoughts on the best way to farm wisp essence? Arcane levitators and liquid death held up with signs and item grates on top maybe?

For blazes and wither skeletons I'll need to capture some souls and generate enough power to use EnderIO spawners I guess.

Any other spawning methods or types of mobs I should consider trying to spawn here? I might not be able to add it in right away, but I want to make sure when I start building that I include appropriate space for other cool ideas.

Any other neat tricks like a pure node to spawn pech?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There was talk of crafting tables earlier... I've been using both the Blue Power Project Table along with the Forestry Worktable... the reason I use both is because they both have a big drawback.

When I use the Blue Power table and look up a recipe in NEI, then click the "?" button to transfer the recipe to the table, it doesn't work. The table's grid remains blank. And when I use the Forestry table, since it uses "templates" in its crafting grid, I cannot use my GT tools in the grid... because the template is looking at the tool's durability and since it is now different, it won't make a second item since that tool (with that specific durability metadata) no longer exists. It's kinda frustrating but my solution has been to use two tables as needed.

The Forestry worktable is especially useful for making GT sub-materials like motors and pumps. And NEI recipes import into the crafting grid just fine. If it wasn't for the issue with GT tools then it would be the perfect crafting table for this modpack. Perhaps someone has a workaround or a tip?

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
The Forestry worktable is especially useful for making GT sub-materials like motors and pumps. And NEI recipes import into the crafting grid just fine. If it wasn't for the issue with GT tools then it would be the perfect crafting table for this modpack. Perhaps someone has a workaround or a tip?

Same issues with both actually. I use the Forestry Worktable for the sub assemblies (pumps, motors, etc) just like you do that require no tools. I use the Blue Power Project Table to store my GT tools and do any crafting that requires them. And then next to that I have a Steve's Workshop Production Table that I have 2 crafting tables and 2 furnaces in. I use this to put my final machines together and also smelt anything that I need at the last minute, like glass or clay bricks. I keep all 3 of them right in a row between my GT machines and my storage.

Bob558

Jul 29, 2019
Were you able to create a computer and a robot from OpenComputers?
These robots can help you. Chopping wood, harvest plants IC2...

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Were you able to create a computer and a robot from OpenComputers?
These robots can help you. Chopping wood, harvest plants IC2...

Gulp.... um... no. But I sure would love to be able to do that. :) All I did was open NEI, seach for "turtle", realize they aren't in the pack, and heave a big sigh of relief. Don't have to learn programming yet again. :)

I guess you're telling me, my excuse is weak and worthless... sigh

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Same issues with both actually. I use the Forestry Worktable for the sub assemblies (pumps, motors, etc) just like you do that require no tools. I use the Blue Power Project Table to store my GT tools and do any crafting that requires them. And then next to that I have a Steve's Workshop Production Table that I have 2 crafting tables and 2 furnaces in. I use this to put my final machines together and also smelt anything that I need at the last minute, like glass or clay bricks. I keep all 3 of them right in a row between my GT machines and my storage.

Great idea on the Steve's Workshop to complete a trio of tables. :) I'll have 2 groups of these 3 tables separated by an aisle to get to my GT machines. Kudos to whomever gave the tip on the iron chests... the base is coming along nicely!

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
There was talk of crafting tables earlier... I've been using both the Blue Power Project Table along with the Forestry Worktable... the reason I use both is because they both have a big drawback.

When I use the Blue Power table and look up a recipe in NEI, then click the "?" button to transfer the recipe to the table, it doesn't work. The table's grid remains blank. And when I use the Forestry table, since it uses "templates" in its crafting grid, I cannot use my GT tools in the grid... because the template is looking at the tool's durability and since it is now different, it won't make a second item since that tool (with that specific durability metadata) no longer exists. It's kinda frustrating but my solution has been to use two tables as needed.

Yep Forestry table is bugged with GT tools (https://github.com/ForestryMC/ForestryMC/issues/750) although UniversalLP did great job with his XACT Crafter and it works perfectly. Also he recently fixed NBT problem, which haunts currently LogisticsPipes Crafting tables. You can now shift click recipe into the XACT crafter containing GT COmponents (electric motors, conveyors etc...) and it will detect from the storage area the correct ones, without needing to replace them in the grid manually.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And when I use the Forestry table, since it uses "templates" in its crafting grid, I cannot use my GT tools in the grid... because the template is looking at the tool's durability and since it is now different, it won't make a second item since that tool (with that specific durability metadata) no longer exists. It's kinda frustrating but my solution has been to use two tables as needed.
Yeah this is a new problem. Several months ago, they were working perfectly fine, but got busted in a Forestry update since then.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This one makes me laugh every time I go to my tree farm. It's really simple, 4x7=28 spruce trees, with 4 spaces in between each sapling. For some odd reason, the sapling in the position (3rd row, 1st column) has never grown into a tree. There is nothing unique about this location, as far as I can see. It's exactly the same in every way as every other location in my tree farm - same biome, there's no hill or other object nearby, and I don't see any Thaumcraft node either... this sapling simply will not grow. I've replaced the sapling often, thinking perhaps the sapling itself is bugged. But nope, the other 27 trees will be fully grown if I don't tend to my farm for a while... but that stubborn 28th sapling just sits there. Like I say, it makes me laugh every time - "did it grow yet?" "nope. maybe next time." LOL

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yep Forestry table is bugged with GT tools (https://github.com/ForestryMC/ForestryMC/issues/750) although UniversalLP did great job with his XACT Crafter and it works perfectly. Also he recently fixed NBT problem, which haunts currently LogisticsPipes Crafting tables. You can now shift click recipe into the XACT crafter containing GT COmponents (electric motors, conveyors etc...) and it will detect from the storage area the correct ones, without needing to replace them in the grid manually.

Cool, thanks Jason, wasn't aware of this table but I made one (they're inexpensive) and will be trying it out!

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, thanks Jason, wasn't aware of this table but I made one (they're inexpensive) and will be trying it out!
it is slightly limited for just 4 Chips (stored recipes). But you can store the recipe in chips and interchange them when you need. It also has CraftPad which is portable crafter, where you can put 1 chip with the recipe and will pull the items from your inventory. Also quite nice feature of the XACT Crafter is that if you insert a recipe, then through nei look for other parts of that recipe, you can cycle through the recipes with just click of the button (simple example: You want to craft Input Bus: You will put in recipe for input bus (into the grid, via NEI), then via NEI you will look the recipe for Machine Hull, then Machine Casing. You will then craft Casing, click the previous recipe button, it will switch to Hull, craft hull, again press the button, it will swith to Input Bus, craft input bus) It will loose these "stored" recipes upon closing the interface.

Oh and also the XACT crafter is capable of pulling items not only from its own storage, but also from inventories around it.

Reactions: DarknessShadow

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
A strange thing just occurred, i got a blue screen of death while doing something as innocent as placing a torch on the ground. After rebooting everything, I've found a single chunk that has vaporized. It won't load and must be corrupted. I did another reboot and the chunk is still black and not loading. It was 4 chunks away from the location where I had the fatal crash happen, and it's a chunk with nothing in it - none of my base. In fact, I've hardly ever set foot in the chunk.

So what do I do now with my world? I think I saw a "reload chunks" command in CoFH - but just checked their wiki and don't see anything there to help me. Is there something I can do to fix this and carry on?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A strange thing just occurred, i got a blue screen of death while doing something as innocent as placing a torch on the ground. After rebooting everything, I've found a single chunk that has vaporized. It won't load and must be corrupted. I did another reboot and the chunk is still black and not loading. It was 4 chunks away from the location where I had the fatal crash happen, and it's a chunk with nothing in it - none of my base. In fact, I've hardly ever set foot in the chunk.

So what do I do now with my world? I think I saw a "reload chunks" command in CoFH, is there something I can do to fix this and carry on?
Worst case scenario, we have Aroma backups running by default iirc. There's a "backups" folder that has a bunch of saved states in it. You may lose a bit of time in progression but you can go back to that.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah good point Pyure, thanks. Perfect opportunity to go figure out how Aroma backup works I guess.