[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure and others: Regarding silk touch on picks, or Fortune for that matter. Is there any reason at all from a purely GT perspective to use either of these?

As I said above silk touch on a pick can be nice for some Thaumcraft shards for certain recipes as you can get slivers out of the ore. This is good if you intend to make a ton of Paving Stones of ___.

As I understand it, Fortune does nothing for GT ores. Is all that really matters for picks base durability/tier along with Unbreaking and Efficiency?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure and others: Regarding silk touch on picks, or Fortune for that matter. Is there any reason at all from a purely GT perspective to use either of these?

As I said above silk touch on a pick can be nice for some Thaumcraft shards for certain recipes as you can get slivers out of the ore. This is good if you intend to make a ton of Paving Stones of ___.

As I understand it, Fortune does nothing for GT ores. Is all that really matters for picks base durability/tier along with Unbreaking and Efficiency?
There isn't really much use.

The only thing I ever use Fortune for is to maximize my thaumcraft shard collection during the early game. I don't use silk touch for anything at all.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
What I am finding also usefull with XACT is the XACT pad, aka Handheld Crafting Table. I am using it for making dusts from Tiny piles :)
The last time I played InfiTech2 I solved the small and tiny dust issue from ore automation by having a segmented eIO network that fed into a bank of around 75 auto workbenches that crafted the tiny/small piles into regular dusts and spit them back out into my regular eIO network, and later AE2 network. I got sick of manually crafting them every time I processed ore.

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've been working a great deal with bees lately, and have produced magic apiaries and the vis booster. Has anyone managed to get the vis booster to work? I've set it down near a harnessed node and a magic apiary, but the buttons still won't light up in the magic apiary GUI.

I gotta say, tho, bee breeding is a lot less of a PITA now that I've noticed gendustry. The mutagen producer, mutatron, genetic sampler and genetic imprinter have become essential to me in achieving those low-probability bee breeds. I've found that they require a LOT of aluminium--thankfully, breeding up a half-dozen alum. bees was a snap. I also ran into uranium shortages--thought I could solve it by starting a uranium bee line. Turns out, not only does the bee wreck your base, it also produces uranium-235 instead of uranium-238. LOL At least it forced me to look for ways to stop the destruction, for when I start messing with naquadah (genetic sampler to pull the effect:none dna from a bee, and the genetic imprinter to add it to my uranium bee).

EDIT: I'm still running 3.1.3; I've been lazy and haven't updated, yet.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
You know... PAckager is a thing? :D Packager and regulator.... thats all you need (MV era it is)
Yeah, I know that now. It all started innocently enough though. At first I was just sick of all the small piles of iron dust from making iron rods in the LV lathe, so I made one autocrafter. Then steel rods happened and the steel dust that goes with them. Then when I got to the MV age I started using the centrifuge, ore washer, thermal centrifuge, etc and got even more small and tiny dusts. I just kept adding to my dust condensing setup as time went on. I even branched out after a while to using the same network to continually craft condensed coal chunks and the like for industrial diamonds and a few other things like IC2 fertilizer. I even had it centrally craft the tools used by things like EnderIO farming stations and KillerJoes and such and then route it out to my farms and mob farms.

Then one day I walked into that particular back room to add another autocrafter for something and I realized what an abomination I had on my hands. I was just starting to switch it over to an AE2/GT solution using the packager when our server got hacked and everything got wiped out.

Maybe this time around I'll get to actually set up a packager.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
The last time I played InfiTech2 I solved the small and tiny dust issue from ore automation by having a segmented eIO network that fed into a bank of around 75 auto workbenches that crafted the tiny/small piles into regular dusts and spit them back out into my regular eIO network, and later AE2 network. I got sick of manually crafting them every time I processed ore.
It is possible to condense all dust piping an nuggets into igots into just 9 machines. 1. Type Filter. Only lets trough for example "Small Dusts", 2. Buffer, best a superbuffer, use screwdriver to set output stacksize. For Small dusts stacksize 4, 3. Packager with dust piling schematic, for nuggets a alloysmelter with ingot mold.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Is there ANY way to pump liquids without an assembler? I built a nice big tank for my steam which is working perfectly. I just can't get the steam out of there :(

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Is there ANY way to pump liquids without an assembler? I built a nice big tank for my steam which is working perfectly. I just can't get the steam out of there :(
If railcraft tank, just put a Valve on the bottom and it will automaticaly output steam into the pipe (here you have number of options: EnderIO Fluid Conduits, BC Pipes, or GT Pipes)

Now my turn.
Question: Why is my EBF not able to run 100% of time?
1) Producing Aluminium
2) I have 4 LV Hatches, 4 LV Battery Buffers (4 slot) and 4 Steam Turbines. Each turbine is supplying power to 1 buffer, which is then directly feeding power into the Hatch
Power in buffers is dropping down, even since I am producing 32*4=128EU/t and the EBF just wants 120EU/t for Aluminium

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Question: Why is my EBF not able to run 100% of time?
1) Producing Aluminium
2) I have 4 LV Hatches, 4 LV Battery Buffers (4 slot) and 4 Steam Turbines. Each turbine is supplying power to 1 buffer, which is then directly feeding power into the Hatch
Power in buffers is dropping down, even since I am producing 32*4=128EU/t and the EBF just wants 120EU/t for Aluminium
Because of loss inside the machines. To output 32EU, the bat buffer actually looses 34EU, so this allone brings you up to 128EU/t usage. The Steam Turbines also have internal loss but for that they produce actually 34EU/t. Then the last loss point is charging/decharging the batteries itself.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Jason McRay

What @Blood Asp said.

And, yes, the noob EBF is supposed to be a pain in the arse in this pack, IMHO. It *motivates* one to get properly into MV era so you can build an MV Energy Hatch. Oh, and fix everything broken in the EBF. Need that pesky soldering iron or else duct tape.

If you truly want to run it with a big batch of aluminum at this stage, install a 5th LV Hatch and another Steam Turbine and possibly another battery buffer. You can actually share/split the battery buffer if you want. The battery buffers are optional. It will run just fine with 5x Steam Turbines attached directly to their own LV Energy Hatches. Indeed, it might run *better* since the whole system will be losing less power sans battery buffers. LV Battery buffers have significant power loss.

Reactions: Jason McRay

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've been working a great deal with bees lately, and have produced magic apiaries and the vis booster. Has anyone managed to get the vis booster to work? I've set it down near a harnessed node and a magic apiary, but the buttons still won't light up in the magic apiary GUI.

I gotta say, tho, bee breeding is a lot less of a PITA now that I've noticed gendustry. The mutagen producer, mutatron, genetic sampler and genetic imprinter have become essential to me in achieving those low-probability bee breeds. I've found that they require a LOT of aluminium--thankfully, breeding up a half-dozen alum. bees was a snap. I also ran into uranium shortages--thought I could solve it by starting a uranium bee line. Turns out, not only does the bee wreck your base, it also produces uranium-235 instead of uranium-238. LOL At least it forced me to look for ways to stop the destruction, for when I start messing with naquadah (genetic sampler to pull the effect:none dna from a bee, and the genetic imprinter to add it to my uranium bee).

EDIT: I'm still running 3.1.3; I've been lazy and haven't updated, yet.

Re: Magic Apiary

I don't think @MysteriousAges is finished with the Magic Hive yet. In other words, it's a work in progress.

I checked his Release Notes (changelogs), and didn't find any of the recent versions fixing/finishing the Magic Apiary.

And, regarding bee breeding, I've found one of the most efficient uses of time is making a 'trait cloning species' that has no further species mutations, and combining all desired traits into that. Then, make a lot of Apiaries (8+) and keep them always filled with that species, just cycling. Anytime you have a 'dirty' Princess, just throw in there and Princess will get all the nice traits.

Then, remove Queen, make Princess again, and use that Princess to imprint good traits into a *Drone* of the desired target species. You may need 4 or more Princesses to rinse/repeat to eventually get a pure Princess/Drone pair of the new species with all the desired traits.

1x Oblivion Frame + Thaumic Restorer or else 3x Necrotic Frames + Restorer are a huge help here.

The benefit of doing it this way is:

1. You don't have to contend with the new species Queen's nasty Effects like 'Radioactivity' or whatever that nasty Effect on those Uranium bees is called since you're always using a known good Princess.

2. You don't have to roll the dice in the Imprinter with a Princess turning into genetic bee junk. Drones have a 0% chance of turning into genetic bee junk, but Princesses have a pretty high chance, i.e. you might lose a Princess in the Gendustry Imprinter.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatsu

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
Re: Magic Apiary

I don't think @MysteriousAges is finished with the Magic Hive yet. In other words, it's a work in progress.

I checked his Release Notes (changelogs), and didn't find any of the recent versions fixing/finishing the Magic Apiary.

And, regarding bee breeding, I've found one of the most efficient uses of time is making a 'trait cloning species' that has no further species mutations, and combining all desired traits into that. Then, make a lot of Apiaries (8+) and keep them always filled with that species, just cycling. Anytime you have a 'dirty' Princess, just throw in there and Princess will get all the nice traits.

Then, remove Queen, make Princess again, and use that Princess to imprint good traits into a *Drone* of the desired target species. You may need 4 or more Princesses to rinse/repeat to eventually get a pure Princess/Drone pair of the new species with all the desired traits.

1x Oblivion Frame + Thaumic Restorer or else 3x Necrotic Frames + Restorer are a huge help here.

The benefit of doing it this way is:

1. You don't have to contend with the new species Queen's nasty Effects like 'Radioactivity' or whatever that nasty Effect on those Uranium bees is called since you're always using a known good Princess.

2. You don't have to roll the dice in the Imprinter with a Princess turning into genetic bee junk. Drones have a 0% chance of turning into genetic bee junk, but Princesses have a pretty high chance, i.e. you might lose a Princess in the Gendustry Imprinter.

Thanks for the tips--I will put them into practice! I had seen that link you posted last week, and that was what had me thinking that the magic apiary was ready for use--the youtube video actually showed someone getting it to work. Sad, that isn't ready, yet.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been making my GT tools out of iron because there's a huge deposit under my base. But gee whiz, iron pickaxes sure do get used up quick. I'm going thru a lot of them just mining up enough iron, copper and tin so I can start making steam machines. Am I doing it wrong, perhaps? What early game material do you use to make pickaxes and other such tools? I could still be using a cobblestone pickaxe for some tasks, to save my good GT pickaxe, but that's a hassle to keep switching back and forth.

Also need a strategy for slimeballs, which I need so I can make a Railcraft Water Tower. Any ideas? Can't just wander the surface, need to wander around at elevation 20 or so, but since I don't mine the same way in this pack as I do in other packs, I'm never really down at the low elevations digging horizontally - so I'll probably never discover a slime chunk. Discouraging, especially when I've seen no hint of any kind of swampy biome (if the full moon thing works in swamps).

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been making my GT tools out of iron because there's a huge deposit under my base. But gee whiz, iron pickaxes sure do get used up quick. I'm going thru a lot of them just mining up enough iron, copper and tin so I can start making steam machines. Am I doing it wrong, perhaps? What early game material do you use to make pickaxes and other such tools? I could still be using a cobblestone pickaxe for some tasks, to save my good GT pickaxe, but that's a hassle to keep switching back and forth.

Also need a strategy for slimeballs, which I need so I can make a Railcraft Water Tower. Any ideas? Can't just wander the surface, need to wander around at elevation 20 or so, but since I don't mine the same way in this pack as I do in other packs, I'm never really down at the low elevations digging horizontally - so I'll probably never discover a slime chunk. Discouraging, especially when I've seen no hint of any kind of swampy biome (if the full moon thing works in swamps).
Iron pickaxes..... make Wrought Iron, they last slightly longer :) Or if you found Cobalt is the best bet

Slimeballs... If your world has been generated before the PneumaticCraft plants generation was disabled, find some Slime Plants. Otherwise crops. Or if you want bit "cheaty" way you can enable Opis and look in mapwriter for Slime Chunks :) I remember also seeing Slime compass thingie, not sure from which mod was it, but probably OpenBlocks or ExtraUtilities. If you are holding it, it will start glowing if you are in slime chunk.

Reactions: MigukNamja