[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I would like to recommend using lava for LHE, because its producing crazy amounts of SHS. I currently have 3 large hp turbines with large iridium turbines (finally a use for this useless iridium). Using ic2 fluid regulators im feeding each turbine 1000mb/t (a bit more than 900mb/t optimal flow) and I had to put an int. circuit 15 into the LHE to reduce the output. Of course each hp turbines comes with its normal steam equivalent.
I talked to Blood about the crazy amounts of steam you get from Lava. Basically the concern was that we don't want to make the LHE weaker than the steam boiler, which also (apparently) generates crazy amounts of steam. Not sure what the answer is here other than nerfing them both.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the amount of power you get out of it is kinda offset by the fact that turbines (items) dont really last that long and cannot be repaired. So I'd say introduce repair mechanic and nerf the lava LHE, or leave it as it is (maybe nerf a bit, like 10-15% :p).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, the amount of power you get out of it is kinda offset by the fact that turbines (items) dont really last that long and cannot be repaired
Hm. But the crazy steam output is independent of the large turbines. I get that 99% of people are probably going to use the Large Turbine with the LHE, but there's a disconnect there.

So I'd say introduce repair mechanic and nerf the lava LHE, or leave it as it is (maybe nerf a bit, like 10-15% :p)
I don't think this is what you mean, but theoretically we could make the maintenance level of the LHE drop faster when using lava. Ugh though. Everyone hates maintenance.

Maybe we need to make the Lava-LHE produce the same overall amount of steam-per-lava, but over a longer period of time.

Outta curiosity, how are you getting your lava?

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. But the crazy steam output is independent of the large turbines. I get that 99% of people are probably going to use the Large Turbine with the LHE, but there's a disconnect there.

I don't think this is what you mean, but theoretically we could make the maintenance level of the LHE drop faster when using lava. Ugh though. Everyone hates maintenance.

Maybe we need to make the Lava-LHE produce the same overall amount of steam-per-lava, but over a longer period of time.

Outta curiosity, how are you getting your lava?

Ender-thermic pump over a large lava pool. You have to move it of course, but only once a week I'd say.

To transport it I use dim. transceiver and I store lava in a quantum tank wchich serves as a buffer.

Making the LHE consume less lava and produce adequatly less steam is a very good idea, now that I think of it.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just for pimp-factor, I want to see someone create a bunch of lava-generating Netherminds, and generate power from that :) (It would require several of them, and a nice automated aspect-generating system for whatever aspects it needs for lava)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO, I don't think lava should be a valid input (fuel) for the LHE.

Hot Coolant : yes. It cools the hot coolant and returns it as normal (cool) coolant. This is exactly the way the Rankine cycle works in real life.

As for lava, where is the lava going ? Wouldn't the internals of the LHE clog with solidified lava or at least start build-up from deposits ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Hot Coolant : yes. It cools the hot coolant and returns it as normal (cool) coolant. This is exactly the way the Rankine cycle works in real life.

As for lava, where is the lava going ? Wouldn't the internals of the LHE clog with solidified lava or at least start build-up from deposits ?
Have more faith, Blood thought that. The lava comes out as pahoehoe lava from the top :)

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019

Yes lava should NOT be a good fuel option in lategame gregtech.
I also think the LHE should only allow hot coolant as input.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Have more faith, Blood thought that. The lava comes out as pahoehoe lava from the top :)

...just to be used or voided.

In game balance terms, how does Nether-pumping balance against IC2 Pressure Vessel ?

I have to admit : I have a grudge against Nether lava in general, and have had for years, regardless of the pack. Nether lava is insanely abusable. IMHO, Nether lava shouldn't be useful/exploitable at all.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Well as I undetstand it it transfers heat from lava into water. It outputs pahoehoe lava wchich is cooler than normal lava. Sounds reasonable, even if its impossible in real life. But we dont have (working) fusion reactors in real life as we have im GT. So youre saying we should disable them?

@Pyure, I tried thay in SP. Nethermind produces lava slowly and requires quite a bit of essentia to work. Its doable but meh. Too much infrastructure.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...just to be used or voided.

In game balance terms, how does Nether-pumping balance against IC2 Pressure Vessel ?

I have to admit : I have a grudge against Nether lava in general, and have had for years, regardless of the pack. Nether lava is insanely abusable. IMHO, Nether lava shouldn't be useful/exploitable at all.
I have no problem with Lava if I can rein it in with the pollution mechanic. Normally I agree with you 100%, but I'd love to have my cake and eat it too. Generating 512 eu/t with Lava? Don't care, go nuts. Generating 2048 eu/t? Woops. your machines now run 10% slower. 4096? eu/t? 70% slower. So forth.

Pahoehoe can be centrifuged with higher efficiency than regular lava for the same byproducts lava produces. I imagine Aiwen would just void it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure, I tried thay in SP. Nethermind produces lava slowly and requires quite a bit of essentia to work. Its doable but meh. Too much infrastructure.
This would definitely be a "do it because I can" kinda project. I noticed that my nethermind (netherquartz) produced a block every 3-5 seconds or so, I didn't keep exact track.

If Lava comes out at the same rate, you'd need several Netherminds to feed an LHE for SHS, and probably a bunch of thirsty tanks to grab the lava source blocks properly.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Yes lava should NOT be a good fuel option in lategame gregtech.
I also think the LHE should only allow hot coolant as input.

Lava LHE is a lot more reasonable than Naquadah reactors. For lava power you need a serious amuont of machines and infrastructure, for naquadah you just find a vein, build a 1-block reactor which isn't even expensive and there you go, all power you need for weeks.

But I forgot, YOU are using it, so it's fine, better complain about stuff other people use.

What about wood? Should wood be a viable power source late-game? Because with Arc furnace, tungstensteel boiler and large turbines it is perfectly viable. Ban wood? Sure

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Easy there tiger :p

I think if my pollution idea works, it suits everyone, no? Aiwen can pick and choose his polluters and use some lava power with zero penalties. But he can't power a nuclear-age city with it.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure About maintenance, I'd like to share my design as we have a lot more multiblocks now than we had in normal GT.

I'm using a row of different coloured lamps, each one connected to its multiblock with redstone covers. Needs maintenance cover sends signal to the lamp when theres a problem to fix. To make sure I dont miss it I also added a howler alarm :p. Now I'm fixing problems immediately because this noise is unbearable :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure About maintenance, I'd like to share my design as we have a lot more multiblocks now than we had in normal GT.

I'm using a row of different coloured lamps, each one connected to its multiblock with redstone covers. Needs maintenance cover sends signal to the lamp when theres a problem to fix. To make sure I dont miss it I also added a howler alarm :p. Now I'm fixing problems immediately because this noise is unbearable :)
Hah, do they (maintenance-alert-covers) need to be attached to the controller block or will any multiblock-block work?

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Lava LHE is a lot more reasonable than Naquadah reactors. For lava power you need a serious amuont of machines and infrastructure, for naquadah you just find a vein, build a 1-block reactor which isn't even expensive and there you go, all power you need for weeks.

But I forgot, YOU are using it, so it's fine, better complain about stuff other people use.
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!
I was the first one to complain about the naquada generator being overpowered. -> https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-1.7/issues/247

What about wood? Should wood be a viable power source late-game? Because with Arc furnace, tungstensteel boiler and large turbines it is perfectly viable. Ban wood? Sure
Wood is the same as lava it should only be viable early to mid game

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
It has to be controller, which means you cant use it on turbines (they cannot have adjacent tile entities which you could place redstone transmitter on).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It has to be controller, which means you cant use it on turbines (they cannot have adjacent tile entities which you could place redstone transmitter on).
Yeah that's a shame. Dumb question, what if you put it on the inside of a hollow multiblock, would that work? I believe the turbine's hollow.

I understand the signal would be directed inside and you'd have to transmit it out somehow, I'm just curious.