[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
According to NEI it requires 40 EU/T, with a voltage of 40 EU and 1 amp. So does this mean I can't use a basic fluid extractor as they are LV and only 32 EU/T? God I hope not, having to build an advanced one just to melt glass is a bit much (pretty sure we had glass workers long before electricity was discovered). And no, when I tried using Ender IO conduits nothing changed. I was thinking maybe it wouldn't turn on if it didn't have a valid output to pump the fluid but nothing changed when attached the conduits.

I wish it was as easy as using a Thermoinic Fabricator. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind GT being the focal point of the pack and using it to to build things instead. It is just here is so little good information out there to help debug problems.

Another odd thing I noticed - I can't actually even find the recipe to create molten glass in NEI unless I tunnel down to it thru the tin electron tube recipe. If you type molten glass into NEI it doesn't actually come up as a fluid at all.
There's definitely a big black hole where GT info is concerned. Of course this is true of most mods. Feel free to contribute to the wiki :)

Re. the LV vs MV fluid extractor, yep, you have your answer. Sorry for the aggravation :)

Re. the molten glass recipes, I wonder if its because there's multiple molten glass-like fluids.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Re. the LV vs MV fluid extractor, yep, you have your answer. Sorry for the aggravation :)

Yeah that was the problem but it makes no sense. So you are telling me I can't melt glass until after I can create an electric blast furnace so I can make aluminium to make the MV machine hull? God those glass workers back in the middle ages most have been freaking wizards! Something is not right here, this basically gates a lot of Forestry content into a point of the game that you no longer even need it anymore...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah that was the problem but it makes no sense. So you are telling me I can't melt glass until after I can create an electric blast furnace so I can make aluminium to make the MV machine hull? God those glass workers back in the middle ages most have been freaking wizards! Something is not right here, this basically gates a lot of Forestry content into a point of the game that you no longer even need it anymore...
I totally ignored your ancient glass workers thing on purpose the first time dude. :)

You can make an argument that its easier to melt glass in a NON-electrical apparatus. Which we don't have.

I think GT6 handles this a bit better, but if its a major concern you can hop onto Blood Asp's thread at the IC2 forum and make a case to have him lower it.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
I think GT6 handles this a bit better, but if its a major concern you can hop onto Blood Asp's thread at the IC2 forum and make a case to have him lower it.

Like I said, the issue is this basically makes all the forestry farm blocks off limits until you reach a point in the game that they largely don't matter any longer. Considering you could easily do thaumcraft golems for farming automation well before that point, it just seems like an unnecessary hurdle. Guess I will just research golems....

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Like I said, the issue is this basically makes all the forestry farm blocks off limits until you reach a point in the game that they largely don't matter any longer. Considering you could easily do thaumcraft golems for farming automation well before that point, it just seems like an unnecessary hurdle. Guess I will just research golems....
That sounds like a fun project, and TC golems are *always* a simple way to leap ahead of the tech. That's the case here, you're right, and its the case in many places in the pack.

For me, I'm just gonna do the MV fluid extractor/glass thing because its no big deal. (You're probably head of me in my current world btw, techwise, I only have like 5 LV machines)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I second that. Gating all automation behind the MV tier is not good design IMO. *Some* automation beyond Thaumcraft should be possible before that. At the moment, we have a lack of significant features enabled by the LV tier beyond GT's crafting mechanisms themselves. Having said that, golem farms *are* a really good alternative.

Edit:
If I understand Blue Power in this pack correctly, its pipes and features are available at the steam age (possibly with the exception of the sorting machine), and that's good. Only the zinc for the tubes was somewhat rare in my previous world.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I second that. Gating all automation behind the MV is not good design IMO. *Some* automation beyond Thaumcraft should be possible before that. At the moment, we have a lack of significant features enabled by the LV tier beyond GT's crafting mechanisms themselves.
Just a fair reminder not to strawman the argument too much. I'm in LV and I have automation.

That said, I don't see any particularly good argument NOT to allow molten glass at 32 eu/t. It doesn't cause any real progression harm as far as I can tell.

But if this is a GT5 recipe, I'm not sure how we'd achieve it since afaik you can't alter GT recipes, only add them.

@Blood Asp, when you have a sec could you contribute to the discussion?

I wish I were at home so I could poke through the configs and see what options we have. Then I can harass Jason because he loves it when I do that.

Edit: guys, worst case scenario I can toss together a script that will let you melt something like small glass dust for 32 eu/t. If Jason thinks its sensible balance-wise he can incorporate it into the pack, or you can just use it locally. Won't happen till tomorrow however.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If I understand Blue Power in this pack correctly, its pipes and features are available at the steam age (possibly with the exception of the sorting machine), and that's good. Only the zinc for the tubes was somewhat rare in my previous world.
I'm still really hoping you'll tinker with that stuff when you have a chance, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Just a fair reminder not to strawman the argument too much. I'm in LV and I have automation.
OK, point taken.The main point still stands, however: if you look at how other mods' features are gated by GT mechanisms, there is a lot of them for MV tech but very little for LV. I had hoped v3 would mitigate that by making Forestry available at LV, but now Forestry adds to the imbalance. For farming specifically, we have TC golems available early and EnderIO at MV. It would be appropriate to have Forestry at LV. In addition, as already mentioned, it does feel odd not to be able to smelt glass while you're making assembly machines that can make electronic circuits.

As for BluePower, I hope I'll get around to that, but within Infitech, BP is early-game stuff, and you know how much I like the early game.

Last edited:

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
But if this is a GT5 recipe, I'm not sure how we'd achieve it since afaik you can't alter GT recipes, only add them.

I am fine with things being converted to using GT machines and materials, this just happens to be one of those cases were it is a bit extreme. I was hoping to put off using Thaumcraft golems until later because I wanted to focus more upon the technically path for now. And to be clear I was only taking about the impact upon Forestry farms and not all automation. Honestly, I was just looking to set up a forestry tree farm to feed a RC boilers and some use some forestry machines to craft Ethanol for my next power system (diesel generators). Now instead of using a forestry farm I will just spend an hour working upon thaumcraft.

I do find it a bit odd that he settled upon 40 EU/T. Placing it just above LV but well below the 128 cap for MV. Either way I will just start clearing out an area for Thaumcraft, it wasn't upon my list of stuff to start at this point but golem research is pretty fast.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It would be appropriate to have Forestry at MV.
Did you mean MV or LV? (Forestry already being available at MV afaik)

I am fine with things being converted to using GT machines and materials, this just happens to be one of those cases were it is a bit extreme. I was hoping to put off using Thaumcraft golems until later because I wanted to focus more upon the technically path for now. And to be clear I was only taking about the impact upon Forestry farms and not all automation. Honestly, I was just looking to set up a forestry tree farm to feed a RC boilers and some use some forestry machines to craft Ethanol for my next power system (diesel generators). Now instead of using a forestry farm I will just spend an hour working upon thaumcraft.
Thaumcraft is a billion times more efficient than a Forestry farm for energy production, just sayin.

I'm not super happy about that: I wish it weren't the case in a tech pack, but that's how it is and I don't really see any way around it other than lowering tech down to TCs level.

Also: if you ever do decide to pursue forestry for any energy production, I highly recommend you test in creative first and confirm you can get a net return.

I did some testing last night. I think I found it took around 150,000 eu to turn 64 saplings into ethanol, which in turn produced around 200,000 eu. Your mileage may vary, I'm not sure if I'm using the most updated configs.

Neat trivia:
* Ethanol in a Diesel Generator (LV) produces almost identical output (108,000 total eu per bucket) as when burned in an EIO Combustion Generator and then converted to EU. Less than 1% difference.
* DIESEL on the other hand burns way more efficiently in the eio Combustion Generator. 2-3x more efficiently. The trick is converting it to EU, which I do with pneumaticcraft.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
I will retest it out in creative mod but the system was to be powered by the RC boiler using a couple of RC steam engines. As a closed system it only needed to generate enough power to keep the system running and producing the ethanol for my GT power system. Once up and running I would basically just leave it be and only bother with it when it needed maintenance. I used a similar system in Beyond Reality for a while to get my started in the electrical age and it worked pretty well.

Interesting tips on the Ener IO combustion generator. I am still a little confused on the RF to GTEU conversion. I know Ender IO generators are pretty handy as I tend to use them to power oil drilling platforms later on.

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Also do you know of any good tutorial or guides for pneumatic craft? My only experience with it was in Crash Landing and even then it was largely limited to only building the circuits needed for TE. Apparently there is a ton more to the mod that that pack introduced.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Also do you know of any good tutorial or guides for pneumatic craft? My only experience with it was in Crash Landing and even then it was largely limited to only building the circuits needed for TE. Apparently there is a ton more to the mod that that pack introduced.
Direwolf20 has a pretty good and rather extensive mod spotlight in four parts. Details may be a little outdated by now though.

@Pyure:
Of course I meant it would be appropriate to have Forestry at LV. Hmph....what possessed me to make that typo..

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am still a little confused on the RF to GTEU conversion. I know Ender IO generators are pretty handy as I tend to use them to power oil drilling platforms later on.
Its actually not too complicated. You need two PC machines:
  • Flux Compressor - Transforms RF into Compressed Air
  • Pneumatic Generator - Transforms Compressed Air into IC2 EU

So basically its just a chain of blocks creating an energy bridge similar to good old PowerConverters:
RF Generator -> Flux Compressor -> Pneumatic Generator -> Eu Consumers

There's a couple things to note however:
1) Its not low tier tech. You'll probably need MV stuff or later.
2) Both PC machines need to pressurize, which means an "investment" of energy. However so long as you never depressurize the system, that's a one-time thing.
3) PC machines have a "heat" mechanic which is difficult to work with. You need a ton of iron to make the heat-sinks and whatnot if you want to try converting, say, 2000 RF/t efficiently.
4) Without any heating issues you'll convert fairly close to an optimal 4RF:1EU ratio.
5) Obviously you need to convert the IC2 eu to GT eu (done with a transformer as always)

His page is actually pretty informative, but you'll get more detailed info if you install his In-Game Wiki

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
His page is actually pretty informative, but you'll get more detailed info if you install his In-Game Wiki
I've been wondering why this isn't part of modpacks that include PC automatically. Is there some problem with it?

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.. Are RC steam engines broken or disabled in someway. I decided to do some simulations on a creative world and I noticed that I can not seem to pump steam into them. They have a recipe and should be craftable but when I place them on a RF boiler or try and pump steam into them with Ender IO conduits (which I can see are filled with team and I use in my current steam system) I just can not get steam into the engines. So I am assuming it has something to do with the scripts that disabled RF energy production?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm.. Are RC steam engines broken or disabled in someway. I decided to do some simulations on a creative world and I noticed that I can not seem to pump steam into them. They have a recipe and should be craftable but when I place them on a RF boiler or try and pump steam into them with Ender IO conduits (which I can see are filled with team and I use in my current steam system) I just can not get steam into the engines. So I am assuming it has something to do with the scripts that disabled RF energy production?
I tested these last week and they worked fine. Also I assume you mean RC Boiler (not RF Boiler)

Can you show me a screenshot sir?

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
According to NEI it requires 40 EU/T, with a voltage of 40 EU and 1 amp. So does this mean I can't use a basic fluid extractor as they are LV and only 32 EU/T? God I hope not, having to build an advanced one just to melt glass is a bit much (pretty sure we had glass workers long before electricity was discovered). And no, when I tried using Ender IO conduits nothing changed. I was thinking maybe it wouldn't turn on if it didn't have a valid output to pump the fluid but nothing changed when attached the conduits.

I wish it was as easy as using a Thermoinic Fabricator. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind GT being the focal point of the pack and using it to to build things instead. It is just here is so little good information out there to help debug problems.

Another odd thing I noticed - I can't actually even find the recipe to create molten glass in NEI unless I tunnel down to it thru the tin electron tube recipe. If you type molten glass into NEI it doesn't actually come up as a fluid at all.

Ok, loaded a test world and the 40EU/T was the issue. I built an advanced fluid extractor and powered it with 128 EU power source and it would melt glass all day. Damn, that is a freaking lot of work to melt down some glass...
There is certainly quite a lot of missing informations. In case of glass blottels, the fluid extractor for glass might need MV, BUT you can simply use a STEAM Alloy Smelter(or Basic Alloy Smelter @ 4EU/t). Just look at all NEI recipes.