[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Jason McRay - I'm using this pack with MC 1.7.10 and Forge 1.7.10 Latest (1208). It seems to work well so far. I've upgraded nearly every mod, but haven't changed configs. It works well so far. Do you know of any side effects or unintentional artifacts I may encounter ?

I haven't updated any mods outside of the pack so as to provide feedback specific to the versions he's releasing. I'm jealous that you're going to be more up to date :p

First impressions of this pack vs. InfiTech 1 : early-game GT seems even more tedious ! But, strangely, I like it. Despite having only a handful of the required early-game ores such as iron, copper, and tin, and finding a huge vein of metals my pick can't even break yet, I'm having fun. Most packs whisk you through the early-game so fast, that there is effectively not an early game.

I'm enjoying struggling for resources and having to think hard of how to stretch what I have. Finding a dungeon/spawner chest is a *huge* deal and deciding how to use the handful of iron scraped together is a challenge. Hammer ? Bucket ? Pickaxe ? Decisions, decisions.

Great work, mate (@Jason McRay ). This is one of the most enjoyable packs I've ever played :)
Definitely a harder grind at the beginning.

Couple little things for my personal newbie guide:
1) if you find an iron vein, the "brown" iron is mine-able with a stone pick. There's tons of it too. Then you can make an iron pick to get the rest.
2a) Thaumcraft shards are also stone-minable, and better than iron for the most part.
2b) Earth shards have super long duration
2c) Water shards give Fortune (handy for getting more shards)
2d) Order shards give Silk Touch
2e) Fire shards give flame aspect (auto-smelt, fun for shovelling sand into glass)
2f) Entropy (? i think) gives 32x mining speed
3) Spend your first iron on a File (4 ingots, hammer into 2 plates); I believe you can make a Hammer out of Certus (otherwise, 6 iron for that before you can make the File)
4) When exploring for chest loot, consider melting any steel/bronze items back into ingot form for inventory management

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to find tin/cassiterite. I went on a massive epic journey last night on a restarted world last night and couldn't find any. *Should* be easy since its a high-elevation ore: I should be able to just walk past mountains and see veins on the sides. Nothing but magnetite everywhere I go it seems.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
@Jason McRay - I'm using this pack with MC 1.7.10 and Forge 1.7.10 Latest (1208). It seems to work well so far. I've upgraded nearly every mod, but haven't changed configs. It works well so far. Do you know of any side effects or unintentional artifacts I may encounter ?

I'm assuming most mod's 1.7.10 versions are nearly identical to their 1.7.2 counterparts.

Also, when I downloaded the server for this mod-pack as-is (1.7.2-based), it didn't start when I ran ServerStart.sh (on Linux). It crapped out very early with Java complaining aboud main() or similar not being there. I had to download and install Forge for MC 1.7.2 before the server would run.
For 1.7.10 its hard to say right now... Although i will be updating the modpack to 1.7.10 soon.

For the server files for the modpack, here I am currently clueless. Sorry about that. I will hopefully fix that with 1.7.10 update.

First impressions of this pack vs. InfiTech 1 : early-game GT seems even more tedious ! But, strangely, I like it. Despite having only a handful of the required early-game ores such as iron, copper, and tin, and finding a huge vein of metals my pick can't even break yet, I'm having fun. Most packs whisk you through the early-game so fast, that there is effectively not an early game.

I'm enjoying struggling for resources and having to think hard of how to stretch what I have. Finding a dungeon/spawner chest is a *huge* deal and deciding how to use the handful of iron scraped together is a challenge. Hammer ? Bucket ? Pickaxe ? Decisions, decisions.

Great work, mate (@Jason McRay ). This is one of the most enjoyable packs I've ever played :)

I am glad you are enjoying the modpack. Its really encouraging to hear good feedback.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't updated any mods outside of the pack so as to provide feedback specific to the versions he's releasing. I'm jealous that you're going to be more up to date :p

Time will tell if your jealously is well-placed, or just being generous to me :) For some reason, I just love bees and trees. The slow but steady, weeks and sometimes months-long progress through trees and bees suits my playstyle. I would have stayed on 1.7.2 as-is if ExtraBees/Trees had a 1.7.2 version.

Definitely a harder grind at the beginning.

*snip*

Thanks for the tips ! I've run across a few TC4 shard ores, but haven't picked them yet. One tip from me:

Some non-copper/tin/iron GT ores such as Cobalt can be picked by flint/stone and smelted directly, and then turned into tools, such as hammers, and then hammered into plates to make other tools. I'll likely smelt the cobalt from the huge vein I found, and use that to stretch my early-game iron, copper, and tin.

Nothing but magnetite everywhere I go it seems.

Hmm...yeah, I think I found a vein of this, but can't use it yet. With veins being limited to 1 per 3 chunk x 3 chunk (X and Z) coordinates, I'm wondering how common they are, even in biomes like Extreme Hills. The cassiterite would have to compete against ores that spawn below Y=80. They may be entire Extreme Hills biomes without a single cassiterite vein due to other, low Y-level veins spawning instead of cassiterite.[DOUBLEPOST=1409665609][/DOUBLEPOST]
For 1.7.10 its hard to say right now... Although i will be updating the modpack to 1.7.10 soon.

For the server files for the modpack, here I am currently clueless. Sorry about that. I will hopefully fix that with 1.7.10 update.

No worries, mate, and easy enough to fix. I just had to download the 1.7.2 Forge Installer, run it in a scratch directory like /tmp, and then copy the files and directories (like 'libraries' and 'minecraft_server.1.7.2.jar') into the InfiTech2 server folder. I may have had to adjust the .jar name in the ServerStart.sh file. It worked fine after that.

Sorry for not remembering the details. They got lost in the whole 1.7.2 --> 1.7.10 --> new hardware shuffle this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For some reason, I just love bees and trees. The slow but steady, weeks and sometimes months-long progress through trees and bees suits my playstyle. I would have stayed on 1.7.2 as-is if ExtraBees/Trees had a 1.7.2 version.
I have a confession. I'm....I'm considering trying bees again. It almost always ends with me getting annoyed and taking a break, but I'm gonna try it again.

One tip from me:
Some GT ores such as Cobalt can be picked by flint/stone and smelted directly, and then turned into tools, such as hammers. I'll likely smelt the cobalt from the huge vein I found.
I've never seen any cobalt ore, but I still can't believe I haven't thought of this. Specifically I can do the same with fire-shards which have higher mining abilities, and I could theoretically smelt some other ores I've seen. Hopefully some of them are tool-able.

Flint-fire-aspect might be a bit OP. Will need further study.

Hmm...yeah, I think I found a vein of this, but can't use it yet. With veins being limited to 1 per 3 chunk x 3 chunk (X and Z) coordinates, I'm wondering how common they are, even in biomes like Extreme Hills. The cassiterite would have to compete against ores that spawn below Y=80. They may be entire Extreme Hills biomes without a single cassiterite vein due to other, low Y-level veins spawning instead of cassiterite.
Good news is its no longer biome-dependent I guess. I found cassiterite in my second mountain range in my first world. But I checked out, I dunno, 50 last night. Took me literally hours. No luck, bleh.

I can tell you that veins as a whole are extremely prevalent. If you're in any kind of hilly territory where rock faces are exposed, you'll see signs of ore veins pretty regularly.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have a confession. I'm....I'm considering trying bees again. It almost always ends with me getting annoyed and taking a break, but I'm gonna try it again.

Yeah ! Please don't hesitate to let me know if/when you get annoyed. I'll be very glad to help however I can.

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
Just dropping by a tip for early game tools, once you have a steady supply of iron:
Get thaumium. Its cheap to produce (iron ingot + 4 netherwart {which is easily farmable within IC2 crops}), has greater speed than most tools, diamond mining level, durability of iron and looting/fortune II.

You can also stretch the durability of iron tools by smelting iron nuggets into wrought iron (those has 50% more durability).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just dropping by a tip for early game tools, once you have a steady supply of iron:
Get thaumium. Its cheap to produce (iron ingot + 4 netherwart {which is easily farmable within IC2 crops}), has greater speed than most tools, diamond mining level, durability of iron and looting/fortune II.

You can also stretch the durability of iron tools by smelting iron nuggets into wrought iron (those has 50% more durability).
Fantastic tips sir, and I'm glad to see you chiming in on this thread.

Tip1 means I'd have to learn thaumcraft. I find this intimidating and alarming and scary and other negative things. I can't tell you how worried I am about this :p

Tip2 I don't fully understand. Smelting iron gives you wrought-iron? Really? I couldn't figure out how to get wrought iron.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic tips sir, and I'm glad to see you chiming in on this thread.

Tip1 means I'd have to learn thaumcraft. I find this intimidating and alarming and scary and other negative things. I can't tell you how worried I am about this :p

Tip2 I don't fully understand. Smelting iron gives you wrought-iron? Really? I couldn't figure out how to get wrought iron.

Re: Thaumcraft. I envy you, sir. Thaumcraft is a blast. With GT fully integrating w/Thaumcraft, this will be a great, great pack.

BTW, remember when you told us about Electro-Magic tools ? Well, that uses Thaumcraft to make more powerful IC2 tools.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I hate you all!
Every one of you!
You!
.... YOU!
.............................you as well!
[points to back of room]
.................YOU also!

You never told me this one's released.

[pouts, flounces off, and does all those things people do when upset]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I hate you all!
Every one of you!
You!
.... YOU!
.............................you as well!
[points to back of room]
.................YOU also!

You never told me this one's released.

[pouts, flounces off, and does all those things people do when upset]

I told you man, you just didn't listen...with your heart.

All along, you just needed to love.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: hehehe got the post alert after I replied...

[wags finger at @Pyure] Led Zepplin's not saving you now matey!

Anyway jokes aside, do you have an ETA for the 1.7.10 pack, o pack maker?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Actually reading the posts make me realise pyure and I could well be one of those twins separated at birth types because of our similar approach to this damn game... Also, I've been having major PC issues, so my PC's back at the dealer's getting debugged. so I haven't had a machine or minecraft all of August, in fairness.

Screenshots for the curious:
http://i.imgur.com/GG0pPm7.png
http://i.imgur.com/ymCaZmu.png http://i.imgur.com/HbtP9eF.png
http://i.imgur.com/HbtP9eF.png http://i.imgur.com/ymCaZmu.png
http://i.imgur.com/ymCaZmu.png http://i.imgur.com/DoxdXDx.png
http://i.imgur.com/DoxdXDx.png

I've got moving pictures too! https://www.dropbox.com/s/wji4x60k36n3zji/Radeon-glitch.mp4[DOUBLEPOST=1409760112][/DOUBLEPOST]P.S: Your boy has a wonderful smile @Pyure! Angelic is the first word that comes to mind :)

P.P.S: It's still stuck at my dealer. I dusted off my older machine and realise that in the last two months, and to my horror I realise that my old machine runs MC like a mule wading in a molasses lake with its hind legs tied together (to its testicles!)

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: hehehe got the post alert after I replied...

[wags finger at @Pyure] Led Zepplin's not saving you now matey!

Anyway jokes aside, do you have an ETA for the 1.7.10 pack, o pack maker?

I made a 1.7.10 version of this pack, solely for ExtraBees - yes, I'm that addicted to bees. I made a server package as well. The server and client have been up for about 4 days now. So far, so good.

I'll be glad to share my modlist with you and my entire client folder and server folder via a Dropbox link. Send me a private message if you're interested.[DOUBLEPOST=1409760644][/DOUBLEPOST]
P.P.S: It's still stuck at my dealer. I dusted off my older machine and realise that in the last two months, and to my horror I realise that my old machine runs MC like a mule wading in a molasses lake with its hind legs tied together (to its testicles!)

Word of warning : you'll need a decent machine for modded MC 1.7.10 . My old machine could run modded MC 1.6.4 *acceptably* (not great, but good enough). The same rig could barely load modded MC 1.7.10. Idle in a brand-new world, it would get about 12fps average. CPU was pegged @ 100%. Similar situation in 1.6.4 was 60fps.

I had to make major hardware upgrades (this last weekend) to run modded MC 1.7.10 .

Reactions: AlCapella

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Diary of a One-Seven-Two Newbie

Background: I have zero knowledge of GT 1.7. Or any 1.7 mods. I've read no tutorials or watched any videos. I will stumble badly due to lack of preparation.

Part 3
=========================================

"same old, same new"
--------------------------------------------
Woke up in a brand new world...with friends! (SMP)

Got things started in the usual way: picked a place on the horizon and booked it. In this case, there was an interesting desert in the distance. I like deserts, because I like easy-to-gather sand.

Crossed the desert, picking up the odd cinderpearl (free blaze powder ya know). On the other end, I find a swamp. Now, most people hate swamps. In fact, when I paused there, I was immediately asked "Don't you hate the green water?"

Fortunately, I'm color-blind, so: setting down roots. My main reason? Swamps have shallow water, which means lots of easy clay. (Also, maybe IC2 crop preferences in swamps, not sure about that.)

First day is spent gathering sand, clay, tons of wood, and a few berries to survive the night.

"coal coke oven is your friend unless you're smart"
-----------------------------------------
Pyure's tip #1: don't do what I did above (gunning for coal coke). Its not "wrong" per se, but I suspect you're better off running for the hills. Specifically, look for lignite/coal veins. Alternatively, look for Ignis veins: you can make an auto-smelting Shovel that will produce you a coal coke oven (insta-bricks) in no time. But...I didn't do that. So, it took me a couple steve-nights to get my coal coke oven working.

But we now have coal for torches, and we can mine. Huzzah!

"Good luck?"
-------------------------------------------
Decided to dig down to level 15 today. Good thing too: abandoned mineshaft right below my base. Great!

Ran into cave spiders almost immediately. Not sure what I'll do about them: I dunno how to stop from getting poisoned, and they're in a cavern with a bunch of skeletons who keep shooting me when I'm nearly dead. I've blocked them off for now.

The abandoned mine has produced some other fine luck: a copper vein, and even better, an iron vein.

Pyure's tip #2: You cannot mine the iron in an iron ore vein with your wussy stone pick....EXCEPT for the brown iron. I forget what its called. Its called brown something ore. But there's lots of it, so mine that. Get some iron picks, and then mine the rest.

"Ug ug...stone bad. Iron sort of less bad."
Things moving along nicely. Cave of shame is nicely hollowed out and squared off. Have two ovens making me charcoal.when I feel like I need charcoal.

Pyure's tip 3#: Steal tips from Spankx and declare them as your own. (He mistakenly calls himself Spwnx btw). In this case, convert some of your iron into nuggets, and then smelt those nuggets into wrought iron nuggets. This is just such an awesome early-game nobrainer that I have to repeat it: MAKE WROUGHT IRON. Particularly important if your iron supplies are low. The tools last, I dunno, around 50% longer (probably more like 30% but whatever).

I was feeling really clever, so I blew some iron making buckets, so I could run my furnaces off lava. Why? Converting nuggets into wrought iron is expensive in fuel, and I'm cheap.

"Quest for Tin, Part I"
---------------------------------------------
Asked a friend which way I should search for tin. He suggested north-east, since it was mostly virgin territory.

Spend three hours boating around, looking at mountains and trying to identify tin/cassiterite veins from exposed rock faces.

Pyure's Tip #4: Find mid/high elevation ores by looking at hills. Props to greg since this seems like realistic "prospecting" compared to vanilla branch-and-prayer mining.

In my case, apparently I'm cursed? My journey ended up with something like 15 magnetite veins (many of which had gold), several lignite veins (in case I ever need coal), and zero tin.

"Quest for Tin, Part 2"
---------------------------------------------
But wait! Friend says "check this out", points me to the closest mountain near my base, and sure enough, if you stare long enough, you sorta see the tin. What was I saying about color-blindness being fortunate? It sucks. It SUCKS. Tin is, like, invisible.

Mined a couple stacks of tin; left the rest for others, cuz, you know, frenz. This means....

"Finally we're getting somewhere"
I'm not sure what the best way to go about getting bronze is. I mean, I have like half a stack from pillaging temples and raiding villages. Btw, that reminds me:

Pyure's Tip #5: When you find bronze and steel stuff, smelt it into ingot form. Trust me, you're carrying enough crap already without 6 helmets and 3 leggings taking up space.

Back to order: I converted some of my ore to ingots via an Ignis (auto-smelting) pick. Interestingly, I tested several ores: some auto-smelt, some don't. I don't know what the rule of thumb is.

Pyure's Tip #6: Some ores have AE2 Grindstone multiplier bonuses! You can see them in NEI. From what I can tell, its "pure" ores which do this. So "copper ore" and "tin ore" would give a 75% dust increase, whereas tetrahedrite would not. Also interesting: cassiterite gives two ingots when ignis-pick-smelted, instead of 1. So, furnace recipes apply here. Yay.

I vanilla-smelted a bunch more iron and copper. I had some stray "dirty" dusts of each kicking around, so I smelted those too. Then I made a wrought-iron mortar, grounded a lot of this to dust, mix it all together, boom, we have our first bronze dust.

"End game! Right?"
What to do with all this lovely bronze? Flipping through NEI for early-game steam generators, I see we can make a solar steam boiler now! I am actually very excited about this. It won't run at night, but I'm super clever, so I don't care. I've already auto-smelted three stacks of glass, so making 4 vanilla liquid tanks is simple.

In case you missed it, my base is in a swamp bordering on the desert. I plonk my solar boiler in a desert block, just in case, you know, it matters. (It probably doesn't). This is where I start to feel "cheaty".

I really wanna do bronze pipes here. I wanna. But: a) they're expensive, and b) I can't see fluids moving through them. So, I'm a wank: I do BC pipes.

A bit of pipe-sealant collecting later (shears on tiny desert cactus equals sealant), I have a pipe running from my generator into a 4-high stack of tanks in my base. I'll be buffering steam since I can't generate it at night. I'll likely quadruple this buffer.

The generator begins to heat up. I wait....and wait. I watch the temperature gauge. Is it moving? Do I have the pipe attached to the right place? Do these boilers even work properly? (Checked wiki...). Wait longer...HOLY CRAP I'M GENERATING STEAM.

Dunno why it looks like lava, but who cares, I have steam.

"Setbacks can blow me"
-----------------------------------
Ok I have steam, what the hell do I do with it?

The obvious thing would be a steam macerator. Look at the recipe...goddammit, it needs diamonds.

Now, I just want to be clear about something. This entire world, I have not branch-mined once. Not a single damn time. I have caved, I have searched-and-pillaged, and I have hand-quarried some veins, but I haven't done any branch mining. So... I have no diamonds. Incidentally, I have no redstone too.

There's a bit of good news. There's a graphite vein down in that abandoned mine. Now, apparently one of my colleagues went through it a bit already, but I gather the damn things have diamonds in them, and maybe there's some stray diamonds left over, so the next order of business is to go look for leftovers. Alternatively, I think I have a diamond horse armor kicking around somewhere, so I'll see if I can somehow grind that into diamonds. I'm not confident.

"What's next?"
--------------------------------
Gotta make some steam machines. Not sure which ones first, but likely whatever saves me the most resources. Extractors, Macerators, hammers, that good stuff. If there's still a smelter, that too.

Last edited:

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I made a 1.7.10 version of this pack, solely for ExtraBees - yes, I'm that addicted to bees. I made a server package as well. The server and client have been up for about 4 days now. So far, so good.

I'll be glad to share my modlist with you and my entire client folder and server folder via a Dropbox link. Send me a private message if you're interested.[DOUBLEPOST=1409760644][/DOUBLEPOST]

Word of warning : you'll need a decent machine for modded MC 1.7.10 . My old machine could run modded MC 1.6.4 *acceptably* (not great, but good enough). The same rig could barely load modded MC 1.7.10. Idle in a brand-new world, it would get about 12fps average. CPU was pegged @ 100%. Similar situation in 1.6.4 was 60fps.

I had to make major hardware upgrades (this last weekend) to run modded MC 1.7.10 .

I've been whinging to my heart's content for the past 9 hours or so in the "update to 1.8" thread about how messed up my machine's performance is, since 1.7.x. "aw, phoo" sums up my overall experience with the game lately! And I am pretty sore at people calling machines that no longer run minecraft 1.7.x as "toasters"! Why, the bloody cheek! :(

tl;dr - my machine's just as bad as yours when it comes to 1.7.x, so I'll wait with twiddling thumbs until those guys at the shop, ship me my PC in ship shape.... (cue for @Pyure to chime in with his "stinky half pun" ripostes!)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Solar steam boiler. Woot !!!! My chief complaint about early-game GT in 1.6 was all the damned charcoal I needed. Any time I don't spend chopping trees is time I can spend doing something else less mind-numbing.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Actually reading the posts make me realise pyure and I could well be one of those twins separated at birth types because of our similar approach to this damn game... Also, I've been having major PC issues, so my PC's back at the dealer's getting debugged. so I haven't had a machine or minecraft all of August, in fairness.

Screenshots for the curious:
http://i.imgur.com/GG0pPm7.png
http://i.imgur.com/ymCaZmu.png
http://i.imgur.com/HbtP9eF.png
http://i.imgur.com/ymCaZmu.png
http://i.imgur.com/DoxdXDx.png

I've got moving pictures too! https://www.dropbox.com/s/wji4x60k36n3zji/Radeon-glitch.mp4[DOUBLEPOST=1409760112][/DOUBLEPOST]P.S: Your boy has a wonderful smile @Pyure! Angelic is the first word that comes to mind :)

Your computer is some kinda effed up friend. Specifically your video card. Good luck :p

The best way to my heart is through my kid's smile, so thanks man ! :) :)

Play this pack asap, its crazy fun.

fwiw, I've found I get total-crap fps for the first few minutes in a new world, and it tends to clean itself up after a bit. YMMV.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Diary of a One-Seven-Two Newbie

^^ LOL! Your writing's getting very humourous, btw. But it's oh, somewhat spoilery, so I'm torn if to continue reading your diaries or not!

Also, I admire your dedication in setting up a server for this pack already! Well done, you!

I usually hate playing single player nowadays, because my time constraints for playing the game means that I sometimes cheat in items if I find that something's taking too long to make or find (a privilege that servers deprive me of, forcing me to play fair and legit!). For example, despite my not touching thaumcraft at all, I usually cheat in a boots of the traveller to give me early game step assist and speed *embarrassed smile*.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure Does the Cassiterite in GT 5 look like it does in previous GT, i.e. white-on-gray ? Or does it look similar to the Small Tin Ore, i.e. silver/dark gray-on-gray ?

I'm not color-blind and the Small Tin Ore is *very* difficult to spot.