[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hello everyone!
I've got a problem with this pack.
Performance is very bad, and by very I mean insanely. For example, it takes at least 15 seconds to search through nei for an item, and almost a minute to open Steve's workshop with four crafting tables.
But my PC (laptop actually) is not a tin can: i7, 16gb ram and raid0 with fast HDDs. Is this some error on my side? Or is this something I should expect? If this matters, I run Linux.
That's defnitely odd.

Is it a new world or have you been playing for a while?

When you hit F3, what's your RAM usage look like?

Definitely look into Opis as MadTinkerer suggests.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
That's defnitely odd.

Is it a new world or have you been playing for a while?

When you hit F3, what's your RAM usage look like?

Definitely look into Opis as MadTinkerer suggests.

Yeah the RAM bit is a good idea. When I read that it reminded me that the first time I played this modpack I left the default settings on and my RAM usage was at 80% most of the time which meant the JVM was constantly doing garbage collection to free up ram (and making my game slow as all hell). I boosted the RAM up to 4GB, usage holds stable at about 30-40% now and no stutter issues.

Reactions: Pyure

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm world reload settled things a bit. RAM usage is around 60% out of 4 allocated GB all the time.
OK when it would reproduce ill see what opis would say.. Also world started to behave like that in 5 hours after initial worldgen.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm world reload settled things a bit. RAM usage is around 60% out of 4 allocated GB all the time.
OK when it would reproduce ill see what opis would say.. Also world started to behave like that in 5 hours after initial worldgen.

How far are you into the game, ergo: How much infrastructure have you built? 60% ram usage out of 4GB seems a bit high on starting a new session.

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
How far are you into the game, ergo: How much infrastructure have you built? 60% ram usage out of 4GB seems a bit high on starting a new session.
It's two rooms, some furnances and some chests with different ores. Plus a farm of Pam's/Growthcraft stuff.
Its mostly Vanilla stuff, except for farms.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
It's two rooms, some furnances and some chests with different ores. Plus a farm of Pam's/Growthcraft stuff.
Its mostly Vanilla stuff, except for farms.

Sounds kind of wrong to me. I just hopped on the game and my RAM usage hovers between 30 and 60% depending on my location in the game, but I'm getting a solid 60FPS with my I5 CPU (I have framerate capped at 60FPS actually, anything more is wasted on my old-ish monitor).

What version of Java are you using and are you using any strange arguments? Do you have something like optifine installed?

I'm on Java 1.8.0_40 and it's been working fine so far with all the FTB packs I've been on.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!
I've got a problem with this pack.
Performance is very bad, and by very I mean insanely. For example, it takes at least 15 seconds to search through nei for an item, and almost a minute to open Steve's workshop with four crafting tables.
But my PC (laptop actually) is not a tin can: i7, 16gb ram and raid0 with fast HDDs. Is this some error on my side? Or is this something I should expect? If this matters, I run Linux.
I am gonna admitt, the pack is not made with performance in mind. And unfortunately there is not much I can do about that. We could get rid of quite a few unneeded mods, to improve it, but it would mostly mean, new worlds, and i don't really wanna do that. Upcomming IT:R will be much better (at least in theory).

For your case, I have no idea what can be wrong, because I have just i5 with 16gb ram and i do not have any issues (also using Optifine and some JVM arguments). Yes searching NEI can take few seconds, but still no longer than 5. Steves workshop tables are opening slowly, but again nothing that insane.

So what I recommend, make sure to have up to date everything (all drivers, Java)...

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
So what I recommend, make sure to have up to date everything (all drivers, Java)...
By up-to-date java do you mean java8? Cause I'm using 7 and never touched 8 yet.

Edit:
Aha! I thought ive read somewhere that Java 8 leads only to trouble when running MC. But it seems(from google) that was wrong. Mkay I'll try to switch.

Last edited:

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine is optional. If you are having no FPS issues without Optifine, i suggest to not add Optifine, since it can and will cause some graphical glitches.

I have both Javas (7 and 8). Forcing FTB to use Java 8.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I'll try it out.

EDIT: Works pretty well, no issues except with the mulitcore chunk loading turned on, so I think I'll use this from now on. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
The only issue ive noticed with java 8 is the fact that my client crashes after a session lasting longer than 6 hours... not much i can do about it, since it pertains to my crappy Radeon 7750 ... i havnt exactly been impressed with AMD's driver performance lately.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
By up-to-date java do you mean java8? Cause I'm using 7 and never touched 8 yet.

Edit:
Aha! I thought ive read somewhere that Java 8 leads only to trouble when running MC. But it seems(from google) that was wrong. Mkay I'll try to switch.

That's only with the 1.6.4 modpacks and older versions of Forge. Java 8 actually has some greatly optimized code around garbage collection that improves performance for later versions of MC. General Rule of thumb is, Java 7 for 1.6.4, Java 8 for 1.7.10 - You CAN have both installed at the same time with no problem.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
The only issue ive noticed with java 8 is the fact that my client crashes after a session lasting longer than 6 hours... not much i can do about it, since it pertains to my crappy Radeon 7750 ... i havnt exactly been impressed with AMD's driver performance lately.

I have Dual 6850 HD's running x-fire and don't have any crash problems at all, aren't we running the same version of Catalyst drivers?

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
It's been so long since I have noticed this and I have said nothing about it, but GregTech is spelled wrong in the first post under the Infitech 2 banner.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I have Dual 6850 HD's running x-fire and don't have any crash problems at all, aren't we running the same version of Catalyst drivers?
Catalyst 14:12 and Java 8-40 ... there is the possibility that it could be this crap they call "Gaming Evolved" too ... i noticed that as soon as i gave that the boot whilst playing warcraft III that the graphical corruption vanished, its funny that the GEForce Experience software on my laptop is thus far yet to cause a similar problem though.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Catalyst 14:12 and Java 8-40 ... there is the possibility that it could be this crap they call "Gaming Evolved" too ... i noticed that as soon as i gave that the boot whilst playing warcraft III that the graphical corruption vanished, its funny that the GEForce Experience software on my laptop is thus far yet to cause a similar problem though.

Yep, we're on the same version of the Catalyst drivers and Java as well. Try removing the Gaming Evolved garbage. Not a fan of these supposed "value add" software packages hardware manufacturers try to install because most of them are garbage.

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Its for similar reasons I now have a NVIDIA card.

When I finally decide to upgrade, it's unlikely I will purchase an AMD card. Although, I don't know when I'll upgrade either - To be completely honest, Game developers are not even really trying to push technology very hard these days. Like I said above, my graphics setup (Dual 6800 HD's) is about 5 years old and it's good enough to run games that were released just last week with maximum settings still.

On one level, that's great for me, but on another level that's kind of disappointing. Personally I blame cross-platform console sales for stagnating video games in a lot of ways and this is one of them.