[1.7.10]Hubris V1.6.1- HQM - 270+ Quests [Magic][Dungeons][Dimensions][Exploration] Ex-Listed!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
... does taint sprea underground? If not one could just dig down at a pure node and expand outwards underground, without realy dealing with taint.
Taint does spread underground (outside this pack, anyway). I remember because on one world it began spreading up my mineshaft to my base. :p

Reactions: Pudding01

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I am still trying to gauge the difficulty of the pack. It is hard from one perspective because I suck at anything survival. I died 5 times before I got through three quests! But at the same time some people here think the balance is tuned just right. Maybe you are just really good at the game! (I almost died three times to hungry nodes)

From a design perspective, the overworld isn't designed to be Blood N' Bones levels of hard, food is scarce in the beginning but doesn't constantly hinder you like Crash Landing did. I contemplated adding spice of life but decided against it. Everyone has played the early food grind if they have ever played an HQM pack. While I enjoy the challenge of spice of life, I hate spending an hour of time creating different foods to last two hours. I have noticed that taintacles are not spawning and mobs refuse to spawn on fiberous taint. I may need to bump up the spawn rate a bit and see if I can modify spawning behavior. The overworld was designed to stimulate creative early games and setups to avoid being constantly poisoned and invaded by Infernal Mobs. Not building four walls and sleeping the danger away. But at the same time, I wanted to appeal to all kinds of players. The dungeons have been tuned much harder than their default settings as they offer more than simple passive farming.

I don't know! Is it enough of a challenge even on Hard? I am bad at survival so I alone can't gauge it. I need opinions!

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Just a little hint on what is to come in the future...

2015-04-16_14.46.57.png

10roub

Jul 29, 2019
I am still trying to gauge the difficulty of the pack. It is hard from one perspective because I suck at anything survival. I died 5 times before I got through three quests! But at the same time some people here think the balance is tuned just right. Maybe you are just really good at the game! (I almost died three times to hungry nodes)

From a design perspective, the overworld isn't designed to be Blood N' Bones levels of hard, food is scarce in the beginning but doesn't constantly hinder you like Crash Landing did. I contemplated adding spice of life but decided against it. Everyone has played the early food grind if they have ever played an HQM pack. While I enjoy the challenge of spice of life, I hate spending an hour of time creating different foods to last two hours. I have noticed that taintacles are not spawning and mobs refuse to spawn on fiberous taint. I may need to bump up the spawn rate a bit and see if I can modify spawning behavior. The overworld was designed to stimulate creative early games and setups to avoid being constantly poisoned and invaded by Infernal Mobs. Not building four walls and sleeping the danger away. But at the same time, I wanted to appeal to all kinds of players. The dungeons have been tuned much harder than their default settings as they offer more than simple passive farming.

I don't know! Is it enough of a challenge even on Hard? I am bad at survival so I alone can't gauge it. I need opinions!

it is VERY hard for me and some of the quests have very high difficulty spikes some suggestions would be maybe one of the early quests could reward you with a way to get rid of the surrounding flux just so you can semi-peacefully make a living and maybe put the ore generation back to default at least because no one ever breezes through early game in one mining trip and the dungeons don't give very good loot, plus the orechid isn't very easy to get for early game as it needs a portal to alfheim to see the recipe. also botania does not have very many combat based baubles

Dachshund

Jul 29, 2019
I don´t think the pack is too hard or too easy. Doing the dungeons with the bare minimum on hardcore is doable if you play it right. The beauty with balancing around dungeons is that they are optional. You can do them if you want and are not forced to do tedious, hard stuff that is seriously exhausting... like in blood and bones. Pams harvestcraft nice recipes and varity of crops just seems so wasted :(
It´s is a challenge. I died twice befor i learned to have the teleport stone ready. I just ran down the dungeons like one would do in a vanilla mine shaft. Turns out you die pretty quickly without any armor/stuff. I still dont have any big runic shield items or AM2 spells so i dont know how hard/easy it will be later.

On sidenote: Are there any plans to add an Chunkloader?

Dachshund

Jul 29, 2019
it is VERY hard for me and some of the quests have very high difficulty spikes some suggestions would be maybe one of the early quests could reward you with a way to get rid of the surrounding flux just so you can semi-peacefully make a living and maybe put the ore generation back to default at least because no one ever breezes through early game in one mining trip and the dungeons don't give very good loot, plus the orechid isn't very easy to get for early game as it needs a portal to alfheim to see the recipe. also botania does not have very many combat based baubles

Giving the player an ealy etheral bloom might be an idea that is worth considering. If the ore gen is back to default there would be way less reason to go into dungeons.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, which mod adds the characters to the main menu?
EDIT: Also, which mod is it that makes tree leaves decay faster?

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
On sidenote: Are there any plans to add an Chunkloader?

I will consider it. :)

Giving the player an ealy etheral bloom might be an idea that is worth considering. If the ore gen is back to default there would be way less reason to go into dungeons.
This was something I considered, however there are quite a few patches of Magical Forest about that are safe enough to build in for a little bit.

The reason I didn't do this is because an ethereal bloom can be picked up and placed elsewhere, clearing a large area. And yes, the taint will spread back if not constantly protected, but this pretty much defeated the purpose in innovative and creative thinking. AKA too easy.

Just out of curiosity, which mod adds the characters to the main menu?
EDIT: Also, which mod is it that makes tree leaves decay faster?

I am not entirely sure which mod adds the characters. Random Things adds in leaf decay.

mulch_75

Jul 29, 2019
I had some strange experiences in my first attempt at this pack. I spawned in a Savannah Plateau M biome which wasn't tainted. There was no mob's spawning other than taint slimes and the very rare mob at night, like 1 every 3 nights. None underground either unless in a dungeon, is that intended? I made it up to the sojourner's sash and the 1 block step up enhancement wasn't present when wearing it, is this nerfed? Couldn't see anything in the botania change logs about it.

One other point, in the botania quest lines an early quest asks for a Mana pool, i think this should be a diluted mana pool, as its before the generating flower quests and you need a few flowers at least to make a normal pool.

I'm re-installing and restarting this morning, will see how it goes this time.

Keldaris

Jul 29, 2019
For the new flowers quest in the arcane questline I recommend adding recipes for Wakebloom,Desert Nova, and Cerublossom. Add recipes allowing you to use floral powder instead of vanilla dyes, Vanilla and EBXL flowers don't seem to spawn on the taint.

EDIT: The witchwood sapling quest says you can combine saplings with liquid etherium to craft the saplings...There is no recipe for this. I suggest adding the recipe or changing the quest to a detection quest.

Last edited:

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I had some strange experiences in my first attempt at this pack. I spawned in a Savannah Plateau M biome which wasn't tainted. There was no mob's spawning other than taint slimes and the very rare mob at night, like 1 every 3 nights. None underground either unless in a dungeon, is that intended? I made it up to the sojourner's sash and the 1 block step up enhancement wasn't present when wearing it, is this nerfed? Couldn't see anything in the botania change logs about it.

One other point, in the botania quest lines an early quest asks for a Mana pool, i think this should be a diluted mana pool, as its before the generating flower quests and you need a few flowers at least to make a normal pool.

I'm re-installing and restarting this morning, will see how it goes this time.
The savanna plateau M and the mega taiga are a known issue. For whatever reason they seem to be hard coded into minecraft world Gen and am unable to disable or overlay them with taint. I am aware of the mobs issue and will be tweaking spawn rates accordingly. You can simply create another world and it should spawn correctly.

There are crafting recipes for those flowers unless I didn't update the scripts folder

Edit:
There are definitely scripts in there! Are those the only things you can't pull up a recipe for?

Last edited:

Keldaris

Jul 29, 2019
I can pull up the recipes for the flowers. the issue that they require vanilla dyes and can't use floral powder as a substitute. The saplings show no recipe at all. I'll be playing a few more hours tonight and will let you know if I find more.

88VoidMiner88

Jul 29, 2019
Is it fine (does not throw of any balance) if i added decorative mods such as carpenters blocks, decocraft, etc?

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I can pull up the recipes for the flowers. the issue that they require vanilla dyes and can't use floral powder as a substitute. The saplings show no recipe at all. I'll be playing a few more hours tonight and will let you know if I find more.

I have found the issue! It must have not properly saved the script when creating the recipe. (Or I neglected to actually make it!) I will be recreating these :) Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

MrPeach774

Jul 29, 2019
Is there something I can do to stop the taint eating my house? Also, is there a better way to remove taint other than punching it?

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Is there something I can do to stop the taint eating my house? Also, is there a better way to remove taint other than punching it?
As you progress in the magical arts you will find ways to reverse the biome to its former self. No more hints! :)

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Update 0.5.0 has been released - The Witchery Update
  • The homies at reddit were greatly interested in Witchery. Who can ignore the reddit homies? Witchery has been included with its own ~30 quests from beginning to infusions.
  • Greatly increased mob spawn rates.
  • Greatly reduced taint spread. Mobs can't spawn on fibrous taint. This will slow down how fast the taint disables surface spawning. Should see a ton more in caves!
  • Thaumic slimes are no longer infernal. They died in one hit, that isn't even infernal!
  • Disabled Green Thumb. It may be causing a loss of crops when harvesting. If this continues past this update please let me know!
  • Added Chicken Chunks. A chunk spawner is necessary for passive mana regen and complex spawning setups. However they have been nerfed - can only load 5 chunks at a time.
  • Changed planks to ore dictionary detection. While it is intended you play in tainted land, you shouldn't be punished by winning the lottery and spawning in a Taiga or Savanna.(though I would recommend you make another world to retain the pack theme)
  • Special nodes are now 1/5 instead of 1/3. This is primarily targeted at hungry nodes.
  • Disabled a few update notifications. Those are annoying. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
  • Fastcraft has been added. As the amount of mods grow, so does the lag. And in an exploration theme of constant world gen and fighting, we can't have you lagging!
  • Fixed Ars Magica flower crafting. Now uses ore dictionary.

Last edited:

Pudding01

Jul 29, 2019
Build your house around a pure node.

There are more ways, but that's the best for when you just start out. (hint, there are a few blocks that are highly resistant to taint. One of the quests is all about getting those blocks)