[1.7.10] Engineer's Toolbox - Now with programmable sockets!

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So.. I see lot of people asking for updated spotlights for the mod. Has this come to fruition yet? I am really attempting to understand the inner workings of Engineer's Toolbox but there are numerous aspects of it that are just immensely confusing. I am trying to slog through the wiki but even it leaves some pretty big gaps in how-to / beginner information needed.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
So.. I see lot of people asking for updated spotlights for the mod. Has this come to fruition yet? I am really attempting to understand the inner workings of Engineer's Toolbox but there are numerous aspects of it that are just immensely confusing. I am trying to slog through the wiki but even it leaves some pretty big gaps in how-to / beginner information needed.

I actually had nothing to do with the spotlights in the OP. I didn't even have time to watch them beyond the first minute or so, so I don't know for sure if they're 100% accurate. I've been meaning to put together some videos of my own, but in the mean time, feel free to ask me any specific questions you have about the mod.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I actually had nothing to do with the spotlights in the OP. I didn't even have time to watch them beyond the first minute or so, so I don't know for sure if they're 100% accurate. I've been meaning to put together some videos of my own, but in the mean time, feel free to ask me any specific questions you have about the mod.

How do you handle adding panels to sides of your socket blocks when you have two connecting sides? Is there an easy way to do it?

Also, the three part spotlight you have linked actually states that you can Grind and Smelt ore in one block. Is that not the case anymore? (Tooltips state that only one machine can be placed per block now)

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
How do you handle adding panels to sides of your socket blocks when you have two connecting sides? Is there an easy way to do it?

Also, the three part spotlight you have linked actually states that you can Grind and Smelt ore in one block. Is that not the case anymore? (Tooltips state that only one machine can be placed per block now)

If you shift right click a socket with a BuildCraft compatible wrench, it will drop as an item, but retain its state including the modules installed on it. I usually build a dedicated socket assebling area in my own worlds involving a piston to make things easier.

That has indeed changed in recent versions. Most machine type modules (processors mostly) can only be placed one per socket now to avoid conflicts with the machine outputs.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
All blocks need power to function as well, correct? Do they require EU or MJ, or can they operate off either equally? Also, I like the mental image of a 'socket assembly space'.. maybe with a piston setup using a pressure plate so you can push it up above eye line and add plates to the bottom. Hmm.

I'm going to have to sit down and really pry at Engineer's Toolbox, see if I can figure it out.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
They only require power if one of the modules says it requires power in the tooltips. Most don't.

They do work with both EUs and MJs though.

Since sockets have tile entities, you can't push them with pistons. What I do is just extend the piston with a lever so I have a surface to place it on, then drop it so I can access the bottom.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
They only require power if one of the modules says it requires power in the tooltips. Most don't.

Since sockets have tile entities, you can't push them with pistons. What I do is just extend the piston with a lever so I have a surface to place it on, then drop it so I can access the bottom.

Oh that works as well!

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019

So I have a question, Emasher. I am making two blocks: one to take in ore and grind it, then pass it onto the second block which smelts it and outputs it to a chest. If I line up all the port lights (can't remember if that is blue or red or what) on the left position indicator for both blocks.. all I get is ore swinging straight through block 1, block 2, then into the output chest. What am I missing here...? The way you have things setup.. it is very unintuitive.

Tips, please?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
You probably have the machine output module set to use the same inventory as the grinder is set to intake from. The machine output should be set to use an inventory that nothing else is using. The most common way of setting things up would be to have some sort of item input module (maybe an item input module with a hopper attached to it, an inventory interface, or an item extractor module with a chest adjacent to it) set to use inventory 1, and the machine (in this case the grinder) set to intake from inventory 1, and then have the machine output configured to use inventory 2, and then do the same on the furnace block.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
You probably have the machine output module set to use the same inventory as the grinder is set to intake from. The machine output should be set to use an inventory that nothing else is using. The most common way of setting things up would be to have some sort of item input module (maybe an item input module with a hopper attached to it, an inventory interface, or an item extractor module with a chest adjacent to it) set to use inventory 1, and the machine (in this case the grinder) set to intake from inventory 1, and then have the machine output configured to use inventory 2, and then do the same on the furnace block.

OH! So that left most indicator light column on item intake and machine faces is for the INVENTORY it uses? So, if I have intake and machine use Inventory 1 .. then output use inventory 2... will the output KNOW to pull from the machine's inventory? Or .. does the machine move its processed inventory from 1 to 2 during processing?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
The machine intakes from whichever inventory it is configured to intake to, and then when it has some output, it basically tells the socket that it has output to put somewhere, and the socket finds the machine output that's installed on it (if one exists), and outputs whatever the machine wanted output via the machine output and reports back to the machine how much was actually output. If there isn't one, or its inventory was full, or wasn't configured or anything like that, the machine will just stop working until all of it's output has been output somewhere. You don't have to configure the machine itself to output somewhere though because there can only be 0 or 1 places it can output to on a socket at a given time (you can only install one machine output per socket).

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
The machine intakes from whichever inventory it is configured to intake to, and then when it has some output, it basically tells the socket that it has output to put somewhere, and the socket finds the machine output that's installed on it (if one exists), and outputs whatever the machine wanted output via the machine output and reports back to the machine how much was actually output. If there isn't one, or its inventory was full, or wasn't configured or anything like that, the machine will just stop working until all of it's output has been output somewhere. You don't have to configure the machine itself to output somewhere though because there can only be 0 or 1 places it can output to on a socket at a given time (you can only install one machine output per socket).

So a machine seeks for a "Machine Output" face to eject to, that makes total sense. Thanks, back to testing!

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I really think I am starting to get the hang of this whole equation here.

Is there a master list somewhere of all the socket panels and what configuration indicators there are for them, as well as what position those colors are in? I am still pretty much hitting the point where I have to totally guess with the Socket Remote to make sure I have it on the right setting.. and that I am adjusting the right indicator light for a socket face.

EDIT: Okay I just completely realized what the heck you were talking about when you were explaining the dot on the socket remote, and how it indicates what indicator position you are configuring! DUH! I'm getting it now!

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to hear things are starting to work out. With a lot of people it seems there's a sort of epiphany moment when they figure out how everything in the mod works.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to hear things are starting to work out. With a lot of people it seems there's a sort of epiphany moment when they figure out how everything in the mod works.

Yeah I think I am starting to figure things out. Make a grinding machine, the stick an "Inventory" module on top and configure it to the same inventory slot as the Grinder module. This lets me see exactly how much of what is actually IN the machine being processed. NEAT!
I've got power storage modules and power routing modules figured out. Fluid routing modules, water intake, solar panels.. etc etc. I am curious about the Hydroelectric Module however... does it ONLY work in a river biome or will it also work in an ocean biome?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
They only work in river biomes. I've done some stuff to try and make them as compatible as possible with mods that add their own rivers, but they aren't going to work in oceans or anything like that. They're basically designed to do everything possible to encourage actually building dams.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
They only work in river biomes. I've done some stuff to try and make them as compatible as possible with mods that add their own rivers, but they aren't going to work in oceans or anything like that. They're basically designed to do everything possible to encourage actually building dams.

I ask because I've had many a situation were I couldn't find a River Biome for hundreds of chunks, just ocean biomes or beachfront. Plus if it is Hydroelectric.. why would it not work in the ocean as well? (At least that's what my brain is coming up with.. *shrug*). Ah well, here's to hoping I am near a River Biome when I start my next play through!

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
There is a such thing as tidal power generation in real life (although there are very few places in the world where it's actually possible). That said, I really meant for it to be dam based hydroelectric power, which requires a river, so that's the way it's going to stay.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Emasher, I've got a question. I have a block with the 'Input Extractor' (I think that's the module's name? The one that pulls items out of adjacent inventories like chests?) on it pulling ore from an adjacent chest. It is pulled ore from the chest just fine.. but it isn't actually decrementing the stack count of the items in it. I put a stack of 40 Iron Ore into the chest.. and watched one ore at a time get routed from the Socket with this module on it.. out the back of it into the pipes I had it routing through.

However.. after 5 minutes of watching ore drop through this socket, I checked the chest.. and there was still 40 Iron Ore sitting in it.

What am I doing wrong?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
If that's happening, it's a bug, but I'm unable to reproduce it. Can you post a screenshot so I know exactly how everything is set up?

Also, make sure you're running the latest version of the mod.