[1.7.10]Atonement: Sins of the Past Hardcore Survival Thaumcraft Focused

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
I think dynamic lights causes lag with there fireballs, if i turn it off with the hotkey i can fight blazes smoothly.

Forgot all about that being a possibility! I'll test that on my end as well, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I finally died. This may be a good time to share my impressions so far.

Overall it's rather easy to survive. No mobs spawning anywhere, it's almost like peaceful mode. The taint swarms are avoidable and easy to deal with. The starting apples last such a long time that it's trivial to set up an underground farm and never starve.

I like the implementation of various mods and their documentation. Even as a complete newcomer to Thaumcraft and Clockwork Phase, I could figure out most of the stuff without external help. This is the first modpack I've seen where you can explore the mods without having to read a bunch of guides or watch someone else play and repeat what they do. The starting book is great, just enough hints to keep the discovery process interesting, without the issues of HQM.

As a first playthrough without knowing the tricks and efficient progression paths, the progress was slow, painfully slow. Now that I know what to do, I still can't help but wonder how many will have the patience for this. If someone can only play a few hours per week, this is probably not the best pack to try... I don't know if there's going to be any rebalancing, but it would be nice to reduce the grind a bit.

The weather is the worst part of this modpack imo. Really, what is the point of that. At first it was cool to see unsuspecting witches being picked up by a tornado, but that wore off eventually. You completely avoid it by making an underground base, all it does is prevent you from building a house, unnecessarily limiting our options. You give us Chisel and Carpenter's blocks, and Ancient Trees, and then force us to live in underground dirtholes. I spent most of my surface time boringly climbing a ladder up and down. The weather deflector is gated so much into the end game, that by the time you build one you are probably not going to do much on the surface anyway. Maybe it could be improved a bit.
I agree with the weather deflector bit. I mean most people get their base going, and they don't really want to move. There's not much point in moving to the surface when you have all you need underground. Basically the only reason to go to the surface at that point is because you can.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I agree with the weather deflector bit. I mean most people get their base going, and they don't really want to move. There's not much point in moving to the surface when you have all you need underground. Basically the only reason to go to the surface at that point is because you can.
Well, because you can and the end game goals in the SimpleAchievement book has you cleaning up a large swath of the surface...

SoulessRaven

Jul 29, 2019
@Iskandar Hey Isk I've been trying to setup a server for myself but came across an issue with squidAPI and squidUtils. I'm just wondering how important those too mods are to the pack as a whole? I can supply a log file if you like as well.

Well thank you for your time.
Souless.

SoulessRaven

Jul 29, 2019
That's a different error. It will be fixed in the next version.

If you really want your server now, you can download this version of SquidAPI and this version of SquidUtils, however, note that these are dev builds, and may be unstable.

That is awesome Cheers for that, it booted the server, so i'm happy :D. Really thank you, you didn't need to do that but i am grateful.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
So, ah, found a potential source of performance problems that I am now fixing:
So, taint crawls up a tree and destroys it, but leaves the leaf blocks alone. The leaf blocks promptly decay because there is nothing supporting them and drop saplings all over. If enough trees get eaten at once you could potentially have hundreds or thousands of saplings on the ground. The resulting impact on performance is pretty much what you'd expect.

So, if you get weird lag and don't know why...I'm afraid I now know why. The good news is the next update (tonight or tomorrow) I will have a fix. The bad news is that it won't be retroactive. Now, in theory, you can fix this on your own. Simply use NEI to put yourself in cheat mode, set yourself to creative, and leave the computer running for about 30 minutes. The leaves will decay, the saplings will despawn...and life should go back to normal as long as you don't go set up in a new area with more trees.

I think this may be the last change necessary. I know my computer picked up like 5 or so FPS early game from my fix which, considering the beast of a computer it is, is fairly huge. I'm hoping the impact on slower computers will bea bit more dramatic.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Grats, it's well-deserved.

btw, the new version is out... it's not obvious.

Last edited:

Mirellie

Jul 29, 2019
considering that armor isnt useable in this pack, it seems like that the clockwork armor would be pretty pointless to make, except for it being unbreakable, because it cant be enchanted with protection to get into the 2nd set of hearts. am i missing something or is that about right?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
considering that armor isnt useable in this pack, it seems like that the clockwork armor would be pretty pointless to make, except for it being unbreakable, because it cant be enchanted with protection to get into the 2nd set of hearts. am i missing something or is that about right?

Not quite. You can't enchant Clockwork stuff normally. I know, however, that book and anvil works for the tools, and probably the other methods too (Infusion Enchanting and the Botania). NEI does list that the armor is enchantable so I'd guess one of the methods might work, haven't tested.

Even if not, it is a very solid early game armo0r, and a good alternative to manasteel until you get something better.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
This update doubled the fps for me, went from 15-25 to 30-50.

Also, I'm sure many would appreciate it if you announce every update here, it's not very obvious on curse launcher.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
This update doubled the fps for me, went from 15-25 to 30-50.

Also, I'm sure many would appreciate it if you announce every update here, it's not very obvious on curse launcher.
Sorry. Yeah, the falling saplings thing has probably been an issue for a very long time.

So, yeah, 0.2.1 is out on Curse and submitted to FTB. As usual, FTB takes a little longer than Curse to update. Shrug. At this point Atonement is looking fairly good. I still have to get around to getting a SMP server release together.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
In this version the Clockwork Pickaxe is very slow on copper and zinc ores (flaxbeard), infused stone (thaumcraft), and the winding box (clockwork). Compared to iron or coal ore for example. Not sure what's up with that.