1.7.10 - A Total Degragation of Performance

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of a shame really. The general consensus appears to be that 1.7.10 (be it mods, vanilla or, a combination of the three) is not quite as well optimized as previous versions. Interesting to see that some people have experienced a performance increase. I've done about as much poking around as I'm willing to sink the time into.

Perhaps I'll dump a mod list (custom pack) when I can find the time. When I'm not busy I'm tinkering with new things in 1.7.10 (while my server is willing to cooperate).

Does disabling Twilight Forest help ?

I have one friend who's made it his one goal in life to never leave the Twilight Forest. When he isn't around I turn off any chunkloaders present. I do notice a sizable performance increase. The Twilight Forest is definitely a hog. It's gotten far, far worse in 1.7.10 for what ever reason. Too much time spent during the world tick with way too many mobs spawning in the dark forest.

I've noticed that anywhere where trees are abundant I experience ms upwards of one hundred. Excessive mob spawning has also been a problem. If anyone running on 1.7.10 is willing, try flying around in heavily wooded areas with Opis open. Keep an eye on entities and world tick, let me know if you see any spikes.

Reactions: RedBoss

Keridos

Jul 29, 2019
Try the recommended builds of NEI, for me the Dev version of NEI made this continous lags on my server on 1.7.10. It was skipping about 20% of its ticks, making the game unplayable

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, try running on Cauldron. Even on 1.6.x, I got significant performance increases from that. We're talking in the neighbourhood of one third to one quarter the tick time, and that's on a 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU, not some old and crummy machine. I'm currently running TechWorld 2 modpack (1.6.4) on Cauldron, and with three people in an ATG world I have 2.6 ms tick time (total, serverwide). The pure Forge server supplied by FTB started with 8ms with just me present.

Cauldron bundles a whole range of vanilla Minecraft fixes, and they're doing such nice things as multithreading dimensions - so that your performance hungry Twilight Forest can have a core of its own. They do have a 1.7.10 version out, though I don't know how stable it is. Make a backup and try, can't hurt. Those much-vaunted "incompatibilities" were all nonexistent in practical applications in 1.6.4, even IC2 ran (and runs) without a hitch. You may be surprised.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
I've pretty much been getting the exact opposite of everyone else. 1.6.4 was unplayable for me without optifine. On 1.7.10 I get steady 40-50 FPS on Fast, same on Fancy when I use Fastcraft. But then again, I was using a lot more mods on 1.6.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Are there any options for people who use a third party host?
I see Cauldron is being touted as a possible solution, but have no way to use it on a hosted server.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Try the recommended builds of NEI, for me the Dev version of NEI made this continous lags on my server on 1.7.10. It was skipping about 20% of its ticks, making the game unplayable
I've noticed that NEI is having issues with facades, no doubt a block is being registered for a facade with NEI hates. That's with a "latest" version, not a recommended. I just tried the most latest version, instant crash. I'll give the earlier recommended version a go. A beta tester of my pack is having the same issues with NEI. No actual performance/lag issues though.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Im still using 1.6.4 but am always interested in improving my performance. Fastcraft is compatible, right? Ill find out myself shortly. And its news to me that twilight forest causes lag...even when you arent there? The only thing I get out of TW is the hollow hills for mining tons of gold and stuff so I definitely could do without it.

Elec332

Jul 29, 2019
I think I've seen tweets in the past few days from devs working on software to "pre-generate" the world for 1.7.10. From what I've seen once the general area's chunks have been loaded the lag issue drops way down. Running a program like this might make things more tolerable on both servers and single player systems. I had problems in my vanilla 1.7.10 world while I was generating new chunks but once I found "my" spot and settled down my FPS has been in the 80-100+ range. Next week I'll most likely abandon 1.7.10 for 1.8.x when it's released.
ProfMobius has a mod that does that, and It exists since 1.6.4
(Something like: AdminCommandToolbox)[DOUBLEPOST=1409601684][/DOUBLEPOST]
Im still using 1.6.4 but am always interested in improving my performance. Fastcraft is compatible, right? Ill find out myself shortly. And its news to me that twilight forest causes lag...even when you arent there? The only thing I get out of TW is the hollow hills for mining tons of gold and stuff so I definitely could do without it.
TF has always had problems unloading chunks, when someone has been exploring, I sometimes had to purge up to 2000 chunks there, even though there were no chunk loaders tere.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Cauldron does it automatically in the background, too. :) (Originally integrated from the Spigot project which was the first to identify and tackle the issue)

And yes, Twilight Forest is extremely performance hungry, but not while it is (properly) unloaded.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
ProfMobius has a mod that does that, and It exists since 1.6.4
(Something like: AdminCommandToolbox)[DOUBLEPOST=1409601684][/DOUBLEPOST]
TF has always had problems unloading chunks, when someone has been exploring, I sometimes had to purge up to 2000 chunks there, even though there were no chunk loaders tere.

I think ProfMobius is one of the tweeters I saw, talking about working on an update.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Throwing in my 2 cents here : with a dedicated server and a separate client, I could barely run MC 1.6.4 at acceptable frames rates - no texture packs, and all video options turned down/off.

When I went to modded MC 1.7.10, fuggit about it. I could login, but my FPS would constantly dip below 10fps, in a brand-new world ! My server was generating new chunks just fine. No server issues. However, my client couldn't come close to handling it. I'm using all the recommended Java options and trying like hell to get MC (Java) to be efficient with its GC and run on multiple cores when available, but it didn't/wasn't. I was CPU-starved on a single core, just sitting there, idle in a brand-new world, going between 5fps and 40fps, usually around 12fps or so.

So, I upgraded my hardware and am now running MC 1.7.10 . It is a shame that it takes a relatively new rig to run modded MC 1.7.10. I can see a *lot* of players remaining on MC 1.6.4 until the performance issues are fixed. I don't know what Mojang did in MC 1.7, but it's not good.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It'll be interesting to see whether or not 1.8 reverses that trend. Mojang claims a massive amount of performance optimizations.

Also, since it released today, it probably won't take long to find out... well, for vanilla vs vanilla comparisons anyway. I predict we'll have a stable Forge sometime this holiday season.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It'll be interesting to see whether or not 1.8 reverses that trend. Mojang claims a massive amount of performance optimizations.

Also, since it released today, it probably won't take long to find out... well, for vanilla vs vanilla comparisons anyway. I predict we'll have a stable Forge sometime this holiday season.

You're back !! Your were sorely missed, sir (ma'am?) !

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
The vanilla minecraft entities have been horrible to me in 1.7.10. On server restart, everything is fine, but TPS quickly drops below 10 and keeps dropping down to about 3-4.
According to opis, entities generate 20ms of lag, with vanilla entities generating about 14-15 of that.

My server is absolutely unusable in this state :(

Reactions: MigukNamja