1.7.10 - A Total Degragation of Performance

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not even sure where this thread goes, let me just get that one out of the way.

Has anyone who's moved over to 1.7.10 (and it's roster of mods) noticed plummeting tickrates and spiking MS?

Just look at this: http://i.imgur.com/ayq4jgo.png
and this: http://i.imgur.com/58VQ0AB.png

I'm running a small server for a couple of friends. I made the grave mistake of assuming that a small server amongst trusted individuals running on a dedicated machine wouldn't collapse under its own weight in under one week. You could say I'd forgotten what game I was setting up.

Hours spent in Warmroast and Opis have revealed nothing. This is practically a fresh world. No bustling factories, hardly any automated mining and, barely any machines. In all my years of modded Minecraft I've never seen a world fall flat on its face so quickly. I'm afraid to sink any time into this despite the sheer amount of new mod content.

This is easily my most demanding install yet. Opinions?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I am unable too play 1.7.10 worlds without a good block lag and guis lag

Gave up on it

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not even sure where this thread goes, let me just get that one out of the way.

Has anyone who's moved over to 1.7.10 (and it's roster of mods) noticed plummeting tickrates and spiking MS?

Just look at this: http://i.imgur.com/ayq4jgo.png
and this: http://i.imgur.com/58VQ0AB.png

I'm running a small server for a couple of friends. I made the grave mistake of assuming that a small server amongst trusted individuals running on a dedicated machine wouldn't collapse under its own weight in under one week. You could say I'd forgotten what game I was setting up.

Hours spent in Warmroast and Opis have revealed nothing. This is practically a fresh world. No bustling factories, hardly any automated mining and, barely any machines. In all my years of modded Minecraft I've never seen a world fall flat on its face so quickly. I'm afraid to sink any time into this despite the sheer amount of new mod content.

This is easily my most demanding install yet. Opinions?
1.7.10 has some known performance issues. Try installing a mod like this and see if it helps.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I love that little mod. It took care of the hitching issue we were all having. I forgot to even mention that.

Prior to installing fastcraft attempting to explore would result in client locking up for thirty seconds every couple of feet.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I love that little mod. It took care of the hitching issue we were all having. I forgot to even mention that.

Prior to installing fastcraft attempting to explore would result in client locking up for thirty seconds every couple of feet.
Is the issue still there with it installed?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
hB3159A5B

someone is using my most used picture as a avatar? UNACCEPTABLE. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1409207869][/DOUBLEPOST]
XD i love how everone is praising the mod, yet i lose 25 fps with it. it amuses me.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
It runs decently on my old hardware. 100-130fps, midgame tech, and a 6 chunk radius castle complex thingy. It's not a lot slower than my 1.6 instance, although it doesn't feel quite as snappy, if you know what I mean.

my specs:
Q9400
8gb 1333mhz ddr2
gtx 550ti

pre-hdd upgrade, view distance was "playable" at 6 chunks render distance, higher than that and new chunks wouldn't load properly while flying. then I added a couple Samsung 840 evo as my main drives. now I'm toggling between 8 and 10 chunks rendered, still seeing what feels better.

Honestly, I'll switch full time once GregTech updates. his 1.7.10 test versions are a bit too testy for me right now.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
1.7.10 is horrible for performance, it's the reason why I'm still on 1.6.4 and I'm basically waiting for 1.8
In my custom heavily configured pack of 128 mods, now that FastCraft is installed, performance has been great (just stutters when a Better Dungeons structure generates, which is to be expected). But 1.7.10 I feel is not going to be suitable for 32bit systems (hell, even 1.6.4 gave 32bit a headache).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In my custom heavily configured pack of 128 mods, now that FastCraft is installed, performance has been great (just stutters when a Better Dungeons structure generates, which is to be expected). But 1.7.10 I feel is not going to be suitable for 32bit systems (hell, even 1.6.4 gave 32bit a headache).

fastcraft helps, but it also requires some further tweaking besides fastcraft to really have it run smoothly

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
fastcraft helps, but it also requires some further tweaking besides fastcraft to really have it run smoothly
Just out of interest, what further tweaking (apart from the usual mystical JVM arguments?)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1.7.10 is horrible for performance, it's the reason why I'm still on 1.6.4 and I'm basically waiting for 1.8

According to Paul Soares Jr. in his prerelease showcase yesterday Mojang may be releasing Official 1.8 (assuming no major snags) on 9/2.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
It helps when the client is drawing chunks however, it does little to improve server side performance. It's still a worthwhile install if you ask me.

someone is using my most used picture as a avatar? UNACCEPTABLE. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1409207869][/DOUBLEPOST]
XD i love how everone is praising the mod, yet i lose 25 fps with it. it amuses me.

As a pretty grumpy individual I find it rather fitting :).

It makes me feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one taking a performance hit. I'd switch to Cauldron were it to become usable (too many incompatibilities right now).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of interest, what further tweaking (apart from the usual mystical JVM arguments?)

the basic stuff. turning everything down in minecraft settings, going through all mod configuration files and turning all the fancy stuff down, throwing out mods that still cause too much lagg

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think I've seen tweets in the past few days from devs working on software to "pre-generate" the world for 1.7.10. From what I've seen once the general area's chunks have been loaded the lag issue drops way down. Running a program like this might make things more tolerable on both servers and single player systems. I had problems in my vanilla 1.7.10 world while I was generating new chunks but once I found "my" spot and settled down my FPS has been in the 80-100+ range. Next week I'll most likely abandon 1.7.10 for 1.8.x when it's released.

Reactions: RedBoss

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing a 1.7.10 pack, and to be honest, it runs better on my computer than any of the FTB 1.6.4 packs.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Even with FastCraft installed it still runs poorly. FastCraft definitely gets rid of the freezes that happen when generating chunks, but it doesn't do anything for server lag (block lag, stars bouncing back and forth, etc).

If I load a fresh world and just stand in one spot so no chunks are being generated my log still gets filled with:
Code:
[22:47:59] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 3146ms behind, skipping 62 tick(s)
[22:48:15] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2211ms behind, skipping 44 tick(s)
[22:48:33] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 3320ms behind, skipping 66 tick(s)

It's looking more and more like 1.7 is going to be a pass for me, which is really disappointing because my wife and I were really looking forward to playing a new modpack that I've been working on.

Reactions: Padfoote