[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Someone's clearly a much better twitch gamer than I am. I die so often in cities, even with fully enchanted invar armor, its not even funny anymore.

Would kill to see scavenging as a requirement removed completely, but whatever.

Dang, I didn't know they weren't particularly reliable already.
I like the scavenging thing but i think it should be more parts of machines, Broken machine that need fixed, tanks of water, grout laying around in the dust in spots. I think you should have to find the grout and then use it and take all the recipes out. cause that is how it would be in for real. you would not go to a town and take a reactor and bring it help. you would slowly find the parts to build it ur self.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
have them build something for you. Say that again while they suffocate to death in the block they just placed down. repeatedly.
Are you able to comment on their reliability when simply destroying stuff?

I don't plan on building anything with them, so if that's their only major drawback, I can resume being excited again. I want to create a demolition crew to assist me with cities since I hardcore suck at cities and this strikes me as a fun and clever way to do it.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
What we need is a mod that let him put broken down machine in the town. Then we could build a machine that brakes down the machine for random parts from that mod and take out all the recipes for them except stuff require for teir upgrade like end game items. maybe put the machine in the middle of towns so they have to fight their way through to get to the machione for parts. I.e: the part machine would be in the middle and after each scavange trip you would pop to the middle of town and turn them into parts. This would also give then a good middle point to set up a base in town before going home to restock supplies. SOMEONE make this happen...rofl.

DarkSpectrum

Jul 29, 2019
have them build something for you. Say that again while they suffocate to death in the block they just placed down. repeatedly.
Are you saying there's something other than turtles that can do that to any degree? Unfortunately that's going to be a problem with any kind of entity that isn't also a solid block like turtles are.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Are you able to comment on their reliability when simply destroying stuff?

I don't plan on building anything with them, so if that's their only major drawback, I can resume being excited again. I want to create a demolition crew to assist me with cities since I hardcore suck at cities and this strikes me as a fun and clever way to do it.

Ok, another thing. Clipping into walls and taking damage and sometimes just running into same wall repeatedly while heading back to charging station. I don't think that was as much insta death as the suffocating while building. It's my tolerance level for it I guess. I see a couple things and I don't see that as "well, I can do everything except that since it's buggy". I get one or two of those kinds of things, I avoid it entirely thereon.

A good example is advanced genetics. Used it. Liked the idea. played with it a bit but then a version cropped up where the equipment would create a ticking entity bug that was somewhat world destroying but fixable if you removed the blocks via mcedit. After removing them, I stopped using advanced genetics entirely and would disable from start, any modpack that had it in there. They may have fixed that issue already but it was something that really drove me nuts so I avoid it. When I saw pc as the spotlight mod that all tech advancement was based on, I was incredibly worried. Still am but with raiding cities, etc... I think Iskandar found a good middle ground. I will never tho, base alot of my fun factor around that mod until some time has passed and all bugs have been taken care of, etc.... I had 3 ctd's in 1.1.1 from PC alone. No other mod caused me any crashes. and I wasn't even doing alot with PC. I just don't want to push it I guess.

I guess I should have prefaced my original comment that this was my own opinion, but a very neat idea so others should definately explore it. maybe they'll have less problems. Otherwise, I won't know when it's safe to go back and start playing with it again :)

Reactions: Pyure

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I don't like PC ether. i only plan to use it for what i need to get the machines i want and then i'm done with that mod. also i thoughjt the drones were still bugged bad and the last i checked not supposed to be used yet? have they fixed the bug with them?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't like PC ether. i only plan to use it for what i need to get the machines i want and then i'm done with that mod. also i thoughjt the drones were still bugged bad and the last i checked not supposed to be used yet? have they fixed the bug with them?
gah, this is sounding worse and worse.

Everyone stop what you're doing and go test PC for me. Especially people at work or feeding their kids or putting out fires or anything so-called "important".

DragooKnight

Jul 29, 2019
HOLY ISKANDER(Praise be to the God of Crash Landing!) YOU CAN GRINDSTONE COBBLE DIRECTLY INTO SAND!
Suddenly glass and mycelium everywhere.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
gah, this is sounding worse and worse.

Everyone stop what you're doing and go test PC for me. Especially people at work or feeding their kids or putting out fires or anything so-called "important".

now we just need the 2-handed mod so you can sieve with 1-hand while cranking the grindstone with the other.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Are you saying there's something other than turtles that can do that to any degree? Unfortunately that's going to be a problem with any kind of entity that isn't also a solid block like turtles are.
Don't want to get into an argument about this cause obviously, this is mostly my opinion based on experience. But yeah, to me? Seems like an easy fix. have them further away while placing blocks. ??? That seems to be the logical conclusion unless suffocation is a feature.

I'm aware I'm very good at creating wall of texts, so I will try to do this from now on:

AI / pathfinding is cpu intensive and I've played too many RTS's where they skimped on ai/pathfinding but poured all money into graphics / sound and it shows. It makes a poor substitute for a less pretty but more functional rts where units will actually not run into the wall of enemies but instead go where you intended them to.

Mod maker for PC is working on a library (forge) that is a third party addon to a primary app that doesn't have any real need for pathfinding except possibly villagers (joke intended). Everything else is straight on. point a to point b, find a simple path and 'try' to avoid lava. This means he probably has to make everything on his own and thus, reinvent the wheel. Those drones move around so much to give you a sort of realism that I think that's what's causing the issue.

Take utility mobs for instance. The souls don't just follow you, they go on walk about constantly. You need to leash them to follow you. When they do find an enemy, they fight until they're dead. No going back to heal, etc. I'm wishing for things that just don't have an equivalence right now.

I can think of one example sort of. Chocolate quest. In there, the AI attacks you, and when gets damaged, does try to run away and use healing potions, etc... They gang up on you, etc... They also end up in lava alot but in nether, it's all pig zombies so it doesn't matter. They don't just jump off cliffs to their deaths, they take the stairs. Not an exact comparison but still.

In the end, I'd rather have less functionality if the balance is that it's more reliable. Insert more functionality once reliability comes closer to 100%. Eliminate all ctd even if you have to 'catch / try' every error imaginable. In my mind, crashing MC shouldn't ever happen unless you're worried that not doing so would corrupt world, but how many times have ctd's caused corruption in first place? Most languages have error conditionals to catch errors and throw a handled exception or just log the entry. It's the unhandled exceptions that cause most ctd and they are either ticking entity or divide by zero, etc... This to me, is a game breaker, and to a layman's perspective, programmatically fixable but it wasn't.

I would never ever complain to a mod author that they are an idiot for doing these things. Never. Not only is that not my opinion at all, but this thing they do is wonderful and awesome no matter how many bugs there are, etc. I will however avoid said mod if the fun/frustration factor is way off. I'll wait while other people be guinea pigs. It's just not going to be me.

A counter example before people start calling me a bug nazi. Tinkers construct. Sometimes the gui screws up in smeltery and you can't see what's in it. Sometimes the faucets get stuck. the trick of getting liquids in/out is a pita. Do I avoid it? not at all. The tiny tiny amount of frustration of those things is so insignificant in comparison to the cool things the mod adds. The alloying process is interesting and unique without causing too much grinding to do. I think it's fun. The addons, etc... make it even more interesting. Now, with that said, I played crafting paradise and they did have the railcraft hidden blocks enabled so that may have caused this issue, I don't know, but I had a completely lag destroyed world from 2 days worth of playing that ruined me for playing that pack again. I will probably try it again w/o hidden blocks (it's disabled in latest version) but I've never had that issue but it all revolved around the smelteries. The casting basins got stuck and if you pick the basin to replace it down, ctd. each and every time. If this were to happen to me in many packs, I would avoid tinkers. again, I think it's the hidden blocks from rc. Takes more than one time to be suspicious.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
i'll go check and FYI i think the mod list needs to be updated. There are a few mods not klisted on the op that are in the FBt launcher?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
i'll go check and FYI i think the mod list needs to be updated. There are a few mods not klisted on the op that are in the FBt launcher?
Yeah. I need to redo the first post. Everything will be transitioned to http://crashlanding.wildwestscifi.net/ but that is a weork in progress. The Mods section of that website is up to date.

Ok, things are a bit stressful. My apologies if I get a bit short and snarky, it isn't personal, I just have a lot of crap to deal with.

Elektron124

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno if this has already been posted, but in 1.1.2 the QDS "deletes"(not extensively tested but i put in 8 saplings and it's 0% complete when it should be 80% complete)water from the Fluid Transposer, making it impossible to complete the 'Sapping the Saplings' quest. Early game at least.

Side Note: anyone know how to get easy water? died of thirst 4 times in a multiplayer server, never even got to iron...

DragooKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno if this has already been posted, but in 1.1.2 the QDS "deletes"(not extensively tested but i put in 8 saplings and it's 0% complete when it should be 80% complete)water from the Fluid Transposer, making it impossible to complete the 'Sapping the Saplings' quest. Early game at least.

Side Note: anyone know how to get easy water? died of thirst 4 times in a multiplayer server, never even got to iron...
Did you make sure to set the QDS to the Sapping the Saplings quest by selecting the task then right clicking it?
An easy way to get water is the get a slab furnace asap, even if you need to siv dirt for the stones, then make iron shears and gather leaves to compost. Finally you make dirty water with a water bottle and dirt and cook that up in the furnace.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019

you need to "select" the sapping saplings quest in your Quest book then click on the QDS with the book BEFORE you send it water from the transposer. It is important to watch what you input into the qds as it will delete anything it sees as unneeded