[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

DanDan

Jul 29, 2019
On my last couple of playthroughs, I have been using TimeScaler to change the day length to 36 minutes (it's the time scale I normally use playing the game, and it makes for some interesting changes in strategy for the first 36 minutes). If I don't wear the camel pack at night, I don't get hypothermia. If you are, try taking the camel pack off until the sun starts to rise. If you're getting hypothermia in 7.5 minutes without the camel pack, something is seriously wrong.

This is exactly what is happening to me. The starting biome is set to Frozen Ocean. I dont wear the camel pack the ENTIRE first day and I even purposely burned myself. I still got hypothermia, then frostbite on the FIRST night. =(

Phaz

Jul 29, 2019
How are people staying alive against mobs in the very latest beta version? My first world of any note I pretty much was only able to live if I walled myself in the ship completely, or just slept as soon as it got dark. I lost the world as soon as I tried to engage them to get some kills (in a very safe way).

I started up a new world to see why it was so hard. but basically, a 3 high wall, or even 2 high wall with 2 deep trench don't work. I saw zombies pick up other zombies and literally throw them over the wall. Spiders obviously don't have a problem either. If you do find a way to keep most of them out, as soon as you peak your head up top you'll most likely be hit by 2 or 3 guys shooting arrows.

Does anyone have a good way to make your base safe at night by the 2nd or 3rd day in this version? The map is designed to where you have to enage mobs at some point, but they are so tough now I find that almost impossible.

Atomicwaffles

Jul 29, 2019
I'll agree with tough mobs. I lost my world to a skeleton that shot creepers from his head. Just nope. It's the minecraft equivalent of sharks with laser beams on their heads. Seriously.
There should be some middle-ground between the often too-easy vanilla mobs, and the over the top Special Mobs walking World Deleters Mk II. Until then, I know which mod I'm removing. =P

Reactions: Genshou

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
How are people staying alive against mobs in the very latest beta version? My first world of any note I pretty much was only able to live if I walled myself in the ship completely, or just slept as soon as it got dark. I lost the world as soon as I tried to engage them to get some kills (in a very safe way).

I started up a new world to see why it was so hard. but basically, a 3 high wall, or even 2 high wall with 2 deep trench don't work. I saw zombies pick up other zombies and literally throw them over the wall. Spiders obviously don't have a problem either. If you do find a way to keep most of them out, as soon as you peak your head up top you'll most likely be hit by 2 or 3 guys shooting arrows.

Does anyone have a good way to make your base safe at night by the 2nd or 3rd day in this version? The map is designed to where you have to enage mobs at some point, but they are so tough now I find that almost impossible.

It takes a 4 high wall to prevent giants from throwing mobs over. You can keep spiders out by making an overhang of fences on top of your wall. Fences are considered transparent so even when mobs are under them they will burn in the sunlight. You will still have to manually kill the babies, helmeted mobs and creepers when you want to get out past your wall or out of the ship if you decided to "pillbox" the first night instead of make a wall around the ship.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I found an odd bug with pneumatic craft drones, not sure if it's known or not, but I made a sugarcane farm with a drone. It harvests the middle sugarcane and then picks up all the cane and puts it in a chest. I have cobblestone covers over the water to prevent the sugarcane from falling in the water since drones have problems with going into water. But when sugarcane lands on the covers and the drone goes to pick it up, the worlds TPS drops to below 10% and lags to hell until the drone slowly flies over to pick up the cane. It's much worse if there are multiple sugarcane sitting on the covers. Completely fixed the problem by replacing the covers with full cobblestone blocks. I just had to adjust the pickup range to be 1 meter higher to include sugarcane falling on top of the cobblestone blocks.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
I'll agree with tough mobs. I lost my world to a skeleton that shot creepers from his head. Just nope. It's the minecraft equivalent of sharks with laser beams on their heads. Seriously.
There should be some middle-ground between the often too-easy vanilla mobs, and the over the top Special Mobs walking World Deleters Mk II. Until then, I know which mod I'm removing. =P
I've seen special mobs with over 400 hearts before. These are mobs that can spawn 25 blocks from you under an overhang right when you create a world. That mod is just ridiculous, and given its poor game performance I don't think it belongs in any modpack.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
This is exactly what is happening to me. The starting biome is set to Frozen Ocean. I dont wear the camel pack the ENTIRE first day and I even purposely burned myself. I still got hypothermia, then frostbite on the FIRST night. =(
Did the biome change in 1.12? It's regular ocean in the previous version. If frigid death is going to be an issue, we definitely need a heat source in the ship.

Zallori

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't glowstone provide heat? just sift for some. (and you should try and get some anyway) if not torches do but you have to wait until furnace :/.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
I don't recall if Funwayguy added heat to glowstone. I pointed out the reasons it should be hot in the Enviromine thread quite some time ago, when he stated he didn't think it should.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be kind of interesting to have flint and steel with the starting gear. First few nights you have to survive by starting fires in the ship.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Did the biome change in 1.12? It's regular ocean in the previous version. If frigid death is going to be an issue, we definitely need a heat source in the ship.

It must be random cause I just sat afk the entire first night in 1.1.2 with camel pack on and never got hypothermia or frostbite. The body temperature does lower overnight but it didn't lower enough for me by the time dawn hit. I guess maybe it's random whether you get too cold at night or not.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
for the base defense, a pit 3 wide, 2-3 deep and on inside of that pit, your 2-3 high wall with fences on top and then a half slab in top position will keep all griefing of torches placed on top of half slab as well as keep all zombies from being thrown etc... no spiders make it past the slab/fence combo. This was tested in older version with special mobs + griefing + za all on. You cannot perform all of this tho the first night so it becomes a thing you need to work towards. I think the pit is the most important then get that wall up, take care of spiders and hide like anyone's business.

In epiccraft, I used lava pits with a glass/glowstone glass cover over pits and just stood on those to warm up. dunno if that would work here. First night? dunno. iirc, didn't running, etc.. supposed to warm you up? iirc, sleeping restored your temperature to normal as well unless you were in hypo 2 or heat stroke 2. if starting biome is frozen ocean, how are crops going to work with water blocks freezing? That sounds awfully harsh. Haven't played beta so can't say one way or another. One mistake I made in epiccraft was thinking I'd burn myself to get warm. not good idea. dip into lava and you'll have hypothermia as well as heat stroke 3 and soon die since you're now at such a high temp that you will never warm yourself fast enough before your HP reduces to zero. The lava trick above worked great tho. I had a snow biome house and used lava under my cobble in first floor as heating. standing next to working furnaces will warm you as well. certain armors help/hinder day/night cold/hot. too much to list. Look in environmine config dir and there should be a sectionalized text file you can find your heat and cold sources and work from there.

DanDan

Jul 29, 2019
It must be random cause I just sat afk the entire first night in 1.1.2 with camel pack on and never got hypothermia or frostbite. The body temperature does lower overnight but it didn't lower enough for me by the time dawn hit. I guess maybe it's random whether you get too cold at night or not.

Lucky you. From what I understand, all 1.12 worlds are going to spawn in Frozen Ocean. I would like to hope I'm wrong on this, but I created 4 worlds for 1.12 and they were ALL Frozen Ocean. That is besides the point thought Shin. I used a glowstone block, a cooking furnace and stood next to the heat source outside. All failed. I actually stood outside WITHOUT the camel pack on the ENTIRE first day and was losing body heat. As an fyi, Wyld "twitch streamer," isn't in Frozen Ocean biome. He only is using the new map (as I assume is the same for you). I think a heat source would be great. Glowstone is really the only thing I could manage to get in the first night. The other nights I stayed warm, I was restoring to burning myself repeatedly with the flames outside to prevent hypothermia.[DOUBLEPOST=1407705407][/DOUBLEPOST]
for the base defense, a pit 3 wide, 2-3 deep and on inside of that pit, your 2-3 high wall with fences on top and then a half slab in top position will keep all griefing of torches placed on top of half slab as well as keep all zombies from being thrown etc... no spiders make it past the slab/fence combo. This was tested in older version with special mobs + griefing + za all on. You cannot perform all of this tho the first night so it becomes a thing you need to work towards. I think the pit is the most important then get that wall up, take care of spiders and hide like anyone's business.

In epiccraft, I used lava pits with a glass/glowstone glass cover over pits and just stood on those to warm up. dunno if that would work here. First night? dunno. iirc, didn't running, etc.. supposed to warm you up? iirc, sleeping restored your temperature to normal as well unless you were in hypo 2 or heat stroke 2. if starting biome is frozen ocean, how are crops going to work with water blocks freezing? That sounds awfully harsh. Haven't played beta so can't say one way or another. One mistake I made in epiccraft was thinking I'd burn myself to get warm. not good idea. dip into lava and you'll have hypothermia as well as heat stroke 3 and soon die since you're now at such a high temp that you will never warm yourself fast enough before your HP reduces to zero. The lava trick above worked great tho. I had a snow biome house and used lava under my cobble in first floor as heating. standing next to working furnaces will warm you as well. certain armors help/hinder day/night cold/hot. too much to list. Look in environmine config dir and there should be a sectionalized text file you can find your heat and cold sources and work from there.

Good suggestions. Not doable in the first night though on this map. It is purposely difficult at the beginning, which I love. When you freeze on the first night though, you are kind of SOL.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
Which is stupid as even in vanilla glowstone has a snow melting effect on the tiles around it...
That's exactly what I pointed out. A brightly glowing rock from Hell that melts snow! Seems like it should at least be as warm as a torch. ;P

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
In my 1.1.2, it's definitely hotter during the day than your body temperature is, and you will warm up during the day, and it's colder at night and you will cool down, but you really shouldn't have to worry about hypothermia/frostbite unless you sit in a pool of water at night. Not sure what @DanDan an is talking about when it comes to "losing heat during the day". It doesn't do that for me. Maybe you have your configs messed up?

Reactions: cannajan

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
Probably just need a complete reinstall if it's having issues like that. Some leftover or other in the folder is likely causing problems.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Where does it say "Frozen Ocean" in 1.1.2? My F3 screen and Opis map say the biome is "Dust Planet".

ok everybody that has been wandering about the biome Steve's Drought changes the biome to "dust planet"
so if your getting anything other than that you need to make sure you have the newest map. For those who dont check his twitter he posted this yesterday "Ok, I think I fixed. Everyone that was having problems with the map, please re-download beta 2. And please, report back problems."