[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wursti

Jul 29, 2019
The start is the only time where you can actuallly fail. Once you have a little bit of infrastructure, surviving isnt really hard anymore.

LucidCrux

Jul 29, 2019
I find the environment mod quite annoying. The idea behind the mod fits wonderfully with this pack, and in the beginning it works pretty well to add to game-play but there are some serious flaws IMO.

First is the rate of fluctuation: when compared with hunger it is simply too rapid and nagging and the tolerance is horrible. With food, you don't start getting annoying side effects until you get down fairly low, but with water it seems that if you let it drop below 80% things start to degrade. At 60% the effect on your temperature is pretty extreme and it becomes very very easy to start over heating. In the real world you can go a lot longer without food than water, but keeping that similar in a game that already has very short, unrealistic hunger limits just doesn't work for me.

Second (even if you discount the above quickness and intolerance) is that the whole mechanic quickly becomes nothing but tedious. With food, you start to get better and bigger food sources that let you go longer and longer and need relatively fewer items to keep you fed. Later in game you pack a couple stacks of food and don't even think about it really. Even with SOL (which I don't care for either, but is playable) the food mechanic still fades into the background as you progress. This is not the case with water. You get camel packs and bottles of water and that is it for the whole game. There is no way to eventually better manage the water, no tech upgrades, nothing that stacks, nothing that lasts longer. After the very basic workings to avoid dehydration is set up, the mechanic is just tedious and never changing.

On top of all that, you have to waste your chest slot. You really can't wear the camel pack over some armor? That is just not good design; a very poor trade off compared to something like a jetpack or harness to fly.

So, yeah, the idea for it is nice and fits especially well with the pack, but the execution could really use improvement. Until the mod itself is improved, or you can use tweaks or custom mods to supplement it, unfortunately, I am going to keep it disabled for my own playthroughs.

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
I wholeheartedly agree. It's a fine mod in the beginning, but as time progresses, it's just a hassle to keep up with. I think that either an add-on to Enviromine or a new mod in the same vein would be best. Definitely need to make the Camel Pack/water holding device a container, rather than an item that keeps track of fluids via durability. This would allow you to refill it via transposer, and could also have storage upgrades that you could apply. Plus, you could fill it with different liquids if they're potable. Maybe you could also set certain areas of the map to a higher temperature, so you have to drink more water in order to stay hydrated. This would still make it a relevant mechanic later in the game. Currently, it's not a fun or challenging mechanic once you can produce a surplus of water.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
I wholeheartedly agree. It's a fine mod in the beginning, but as time progresses, it's just a hassle to keep up with. I think that either an add-on to Enviromine or a new mod in the same vein would be best. Definitely need to make the Camel Pack/water holding device a container, rather than an item that keeps track of fluids via durability. This would allow you to refill it via transposer, and could also have storage upgrades that you could apply. Plus, you could fill it with different liquids if they're potable. Maybe you could also set certain areas of the map to a higher temperature, so you have to drink more water in order to stay hydrated. This would still make it a relevant mechanic later in the game. Currently, it's not a fun or challenging mechanic once you can produce a surplus of water.

Maybe a kind hearted Mod developer interested in this pack would do an add-on for Enviromine to do all that?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Maybe a kind hearted Mod developer interested in this pack would do an add-on for Enviromine to do all that?
Yeah, I tend to agree, to a degree. It really is a side effect of what I'm doing. Water in Minecraft is not supposed to be a limiting factor. I'm bending things to make it work, and really it surprises me that things work as well as they do. Compromises are being made, but there isn't much I can really do about it without breaking the pack worse.

That said, Enviromine is setting up for a big upadate soon for 1.6.4 so maybe someting will change.

Edit: Just updated Enviromine to the latest beta build. Yeah, that "No Environment Data" you get from using a Sync Shell? Yeah, that bug is gone. For those of you who might have been using that to get away from needing water...um, sorry? Well, not really

Last edited:

XtremeFlash

Jul 29, 2019
Just registered to let you know this is one of my current favorite packs. After SkyFactory I've tried the same thing you did with CrashLanding with a custom modpack but you managed it first and better than I could've ever do. Good job and looking forward for more updates and addons. I'll be playing it hardcore and checking for any troubles. Good job once again.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I tend to agree, to a degree. It really is a side effect of what I'm doing. Water in Minecraft is not supposed to be a limiting factor. I'm bending things to make it work, and really it surprises me that things work as well as they do. Compromises are being made, but there isn't much I can really do about it without breaking the pack worse.

That said, Enviromine is setting up for a big upadate soon for 1.6.4 so maybe someting will change.

Edit: Just updated Enviromine to the latest beta build. Yeah, that "No Environment Data" you get from using a Sync Shell? Yeah, that bug is gone. For those of you who might have been using that to get away from needing water...um, sorry? Well, not really
Maybe you could ask those guys to implement something different/better than the camel pack? They're pretty swell, I frequented the forum thread before MCF broke ALL the things.

I just keep thinking about moisture vaporators again and again with this pack. Sadly, there aren't many options similar to the AA's function when no water sources are adjacent. It'd feel really techy and awesome to have some machine slowly making water for me in the early game. I'm trying to figure out ways I can simulate/replicate it. I looked at Railcraft's water tank, but adding that mod just for one thing seems silly, and isn't it still technically an Ocean biome? I wouldn't want it producing water at non-desert rate.

In the pack proper, I know saplings can be transposed. What about sugar cane or cacti, are they set up to work for transposing? They're both pretty easy to automate with just vanilla, and that could simulate a moisture vaporator pretty well. Not fast enough to keep me alive, probably, and I'd have to keep it powered, but it'd be a nice feature. :)

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe have a full suit camel pack and automatically detects water bottle in your inventory and insta filled it up. But I think that's too much work. :D

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Maybe you could ask those guys to implement something different/better than the camel pack? They're pretty swell, I frequented the forum thread before MCF broke ALL the things.

I just keep thinking about moisture vaporators again and again with this pack. Sadly, there aren't many options similar to the AA's function when no water sources are adjacent. It'd feel really techy and awesome to have some machine slowly making water for me in the early game. I'm trying to figure out ways I can simulate/replicate it. I looked at Railcraft's water tank, but adding that mod just for one thing seems silly, and isn't it still technically an Ocean biome? I wouldn't want it producing water at non-desert rate.

In the pack proper, I know saplings can be transposed. What about sugar cane or cacti, are they set up to work for transposing? They're both pretty easy to automate with just vanilla, and that could simulate a moisture vaporator pretty well. Not fast enough to keep me alive, probably, and I'd have to keep it powered, but it'd be a nice feature. :)
You can already use cacti to make water. Check NEI.

Oh, and neat fact of the day. Did you know you can use pyrotheum as a cobble, err, SMOOTH stone generator? It isn't the brightest thing to do. Have the water too close and the pyrotheum evaporates it. And where the stone forms tend to be somewhat erratic. Oh, and there is the almost guaranteed chance you'll burst into flames. But you can. I will leave the decision on should up to you.

Reactions: Genshou

NekoAli

Jul 29, 2019
I was doing that yesterday... It's become a standard for me, once I get the crucible and shears going so I can gather up buckets of water with the clay bucket. It's risky and never wracking, but a few careful placements and you can get enough cobble quickly to make a proper lava cobble generator. Better than wasting at that point still precious dirt to make small stones, or going through stacks of dust. Sure those are safer ways, but every time I re-start with a new version I am trying to cut down on my 'set up' time to basic infrastructure.

Reactions: Genshou

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
You can already use cacti to make water. Check NEI.
I definitely will, as soon as I start playing again! Moving is in progress right in the middle of heavy overtime week, so I won't be making any water for a while, it seems.
burst into flames
Yeah, I've caught on fire quite a few times near the stuff, despite being cautious. The next time I'm out of death spiral and can afford to go out during the hot daytime to expand my wall, I'm sealing that area off and leaving it to its own devices.
I was doing that yesterday... It's become a standard for me, once I get the crucible and shears going so I can gather up buckets of water with the clay bucket. It's risky and never wracking, but a few careful placements and you can get enough cobble quickly to make a proper lava cobble generator. Better than wasting at that point still precious dirt to make small stones, or going through stacks of dust. Sure those are safer ways, but every time I re-start with a new version I am trying to cut down on my 'set up' time to basic infrastructure.
Like I mentioned before, I haven't used Thermal Expansion at all since Minecraft 1.2.5, and this new pyrotheum stuff scares me. I don't understand it; I'm not sure I want to understand it. It doesn't follow vanilla fire spreading mechanics that I'm used to, and 'careful placements' in my case would be a lot of 'let's see if I suicide by pyrotheum when I do it like this'. Since I already have a lava source, I don't have to worry about it this playthrough.

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and neat fact of the day. Did you know you can use pyrotheum as a cobble, err, SMOOTH stone generator? It isn't the brightest thing to do. Have the water too close and the pyrotheum evaporates it. And where the stone forms tend to be somewhat erratic. Oh, and there is the almost guaranteed chance you'll burst into flames. But you can. I will leave the decision on should up to you.

Haha, I've been using this for awhile. If you lack a pickaxe, using a hammer will break it into little stone pieces.

Like I mentioned before, I haven't used Thermal Expansion at all since Minecraft 1.2.5, and this new pyrotheum stuff scares me. I don't understand it; I'm not sure I want to understand it. It doesn't follow vanilla fire spreading mechanics that I'm used to, and 'careful placements' in my case would be a lot of 'let's see if I suicide by pyrotheum when I do it like this'. Since I already have a lava source, I don't have to worry about it this playthrough.

Just place torches in a 2 block radius on the land surrounding the pyrotheum and your fire troubles should be gone.

NekoAli

Jul 29, 2019
Once you understand it, it is a bit easier. It only stats fires on full blocks on the same level, or the level above it. Out to a 3-4 block radius. Half slabs in the lower position will contain it safely.

Osky2918

Jul 29, 2019
Conflicting button? What conflicting button?
Under Esc -> Optons -> Controls -> [Configure] Conflicting[DOUBLEPOST=1405287915][/DOUBLEPOST]This is so hard!
I'm playing on Easy and died like 5-6 times today (I've downloaded it today). xD
I tried to get around deleting my world, without success ;)

But I love it anyway!

Last edited: