[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
If the intention is to cause less lag, or just run things slower, I think sieving still wins. I don't actually run my sieve on a 1-clock (like most people do with sfm), its on about a 5-clock - simply for peace of mind. It's also not on most of the time.

Just... No. Sure, having something off will cause less strain, but the MFR laser drill is arguably the most CPU friendly way to dig for ores in the game. And this is assuming sieving just one sort of item is the alternative. Sieving requires some sort of activator or blockgate to run it. It requires something to get stuff to put in it, which will be 1 or more pulverisers. Those need power, which is a bunch of calculations on it's own to get it there, let alone the choice of how you're generating power. And then the fuel for whichever RF maker you're using will take more effort to create.

Only issue for a laser is the power source. And yes, if you're just stacking dynamos, it's not going to go well, but we have many better options in the pack.

As an aside, fair warning to people copying SFM setups from youtubers, it seems none of them (that I've seen, feel free to point someone out) have built their SFM sieving setup with a 'proper' on/off switch. The general issue is that flipping the switch on triggers a redstone clock loop, but flipping the switch off doesn't necessarily stop the loop unless you time it right. To fix this, you can include a 'redstone condition' check after the trigger/s to test if the lever is on or not (may require additional tweaking based on the setup - I can't remember the exact specifics/settings used).

How about the original / second version of this from VSWE, both the creator of this sifting system, and of the mod itself? The lever goes on the Emitter, next to the receiver. The logic is such that "On high edge / on low edge, do the stuff, oh, and switch to the other edge". By putting the lever on the emitter, you can force it up into the high edge, and hold it there. That way, when the machine gets that high edge, it tells the emitter to turn off (low), but the lever is still on, meaning that "On low edge" cannot fire.

When you turn the lever off, the emitter is already off, and so the low edge can fire, restarting the clock.

There is no issue with the on / off switch. I personally think it's a little too overpowered for what it is, so don't use the clock like this, but will be setting up an SFM sieve system soon on either a 1 second clock, or with multiple block gates on one sieve, if that works.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Just... No. Sure, having something off will cause less strain, but the MFR laser drill is arguably the most CPU friendly way to dig for ores in the game. And this is assuming sieving just one sort of item is the alternative. Sieving requires some sort of activator or blockgate to run it. It requires something to get stuff to put in it, which will be 1 or more pulverisers. Those need power, which is a bunch of calculations on it's own to get it there, let alone the choice of how you're generating power. And then the fuel for whichever RF maker you're using will take more effort to create.

Only issue for a laser is the power source. And yes, if you're just stacking dynamos, it's not going to go well, but we have many better options in the pack.

In the case of the laser drill, it's the power source that creates the lag.
Furnace-type generators need tree farms. Reactant dynamos with mob essence require a mob farm, so do TNT generators. Biofuel requires normal farms.
In the end, the chain of getting power to the laser drill to run would create just as much lag as a sieve. More even, if the sieve is on a slow clock,
whereas a typical sieve setup could run on just 1-2 generators.
The only power source I can see in the pack that wouldn't cause more lag than a slow/ish sieve, is a big reactor - but the sieve is capable of being so fast, even on a slower clock, that it outweighs that by turning it off most of the time - since it's not needed.

So, as I see it:
- A non-reactor powered laser would generate more lag when on than a sieve, arguably less than a sieve on a 1-clock though.
- A reactor powered laser would generate less lag while on than any moderate sieve setup. (although, I reckon AA + vacuum hopper would come close).
- A Sieve setup doesn't have to be on very often, unless it's on a really really slow clock, in which case, it wouldn't generate much lag anyway.

In the end, If you modify each system so they're generating the same amounts of materials (roughly), I don't think there'd be much difference in lag - if you're using Reactors for powering the laser. It would take so much infrastructure for the laser to catch up to a sieving system, that to even them out, you'd have to run the sieve so slowly it wouldn't generate almost any lag.

How about the original / second version of this from VSWE, both the creator of this sifting system, and of the mod itself? The lever goes on the Emitter, next to the receiver. The logic is such that "On high edge / on low edge, do the stuff, oh, and switch to the other edge". By putting the lever on the emitter, you can force it up into the high edge, and hold it there. That way, when the machine gets that high edge, it tells the emitter to turn off (low), but the lever is still on, meaning that "On low edge" cannot fire.

When you turn the lever off, the emitter is already off, and so the low edge can fire, restarting the clock.

There is no issue with the on / off switch. I personally think it's a little too overpowered for what it is, so don't use the clock like this, but will be setting up an SFM sieve system soon on either a 1 second clock, or with multiple block gates on one sieve, if that works.

That's what I though was happening, and it wasn't necessarily that it "doesn't work" (although I swear I saw it 'not working' in one of the youtube vids), it's that that is a really sloppy way of making a switch. It's also reversed.
I have OCD for system designs... :p
My system uses a redstone pulse, and only low edge, that way I can define exactly how many ticks between each run.
So it goes:
On Lever high edge OR on redstone emitter low edge | If lever is still on | Run stuff | Pulse the emitter for x ticks.
That way it runs every time the pulse turns off.

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
"In the end, If you modify each system so they're generating the same amounts of materials (roughly), I don't think there'd be much difference in lag"

It comes back to what the bottleneck on each machine is. MFR is better if your video card sucks or you're running low on RAM. Sieving might be better if you're CPU throttled.

"That's what I though was happening, and it wasn't necessarily that it "doesn't work" (although I swear I saw it 'not working' in one of the youtube vids), it's that that is a really sloppy way of making a switch. It's also reversed.
I have OCD for system designs"

You shouldn't throw OCD around like that. It's a serious condition.

It's not sloppy at all. It's arguably elegant. You could argue that it's "reversed" I suppose, but the only way you'd know that is with WAILA. In the end, you can see if the machine is running already, so just flip the switch to toggle it the other way. Similarly, I think you'd be surprised how many systems around you run in the same way of "Only run when NOT receiving a signal". Door entry alarms are the first that come to mind.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I wonder can you put a hopper on the item gate (to said gate) and just put in 20 dust/gravel every second

unless I'm mistaken the gate just takes the stack, right clicks it on the block in front and drops the item in front every tick and the hopper has a transfer rate of 1 item/tick. So a standard 1 second interval trigger can work to keep the gate working full speed at the cost of 5 iron/aluminium

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
Block gates (And SFM in general) don't work with things like hoppers. Best you could do to work like you're asking is the standard 1-clock set up, have the "In chest" empty, and have the hopper on that, controlled by the same redstone as the clock.

That way, it drops only 1 dust in at a time. But I don't know if the block gate still right clicks if it hasn't been given a block for the next round. (Anyone with one of these set ups, if you run out of dust, does the sieve still have one in it, or is it empty?)

Question I still haven't seen an answer to: Is there anyway at all to move either a Manager or the code in it to a different location?

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
(Anyone with one of these set ups, if you run out of dust, does the sieve still have one in it, or is it empty?)

Question I still haven't seen an answer to: Is there anyway at all to move either a Manager or the code in it to a different location?

Nope, the right click is triggered by putting an item through the block gate, so if you have no items, you get no right click. Not sure if you can use a dummy item to keep it right clicking though, but for 1 extra dust/gravel/whatever, it's not a big deal.

I haven't ever heard of being able to move a manger, if it's possible I'd love to hear about it, but I'm almost certain it isn't possible.

Not moving it sort-of makes sense, since once it's moved all the inventories would be lost (or the code would have to assume they're lost), which means almost reprogramming the whole thing anyway, except some modules. It'd be like just disconnecting the cable from the SFM, you get lots of "!"'s. This is alright if you have variables for everything, but not so much for other setups.

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
Block gates (And SFM in general) don't work with things like hoppers. Best you could do to work like you're asking is the standard 1-clock set up, have the "In chest" empty, and have the hopper on that, controlled by the same redstone as the clock.

That way, it drops only 1 dust in at a time.
I don't know where you're getting that info, because block gates totally do work with hoppers both inputting and pulling. In fact, Vswe's "slow" SFM sieving setup uses a hopper and an inventory relay (which redirects things like hoppers to the inventory it's pointing at).

You can specify to drop 1 dust at the time in the block gate's output command, right click the gravel/sand/dust in the whitelist.
I haven't ever heard of being able to move a manger, if it's possible I'd love to hear about it, but I'm almost certain it isn't possible.
It's a highly requested feature that has not been implemented. And 1.6.4 version no longer receives updates.

Last edited:

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
when I turn on my 1 pulse/tick sieve, my FPS drops by about 25-30 FPS. I'm not sure if it's the block gate aspect that causes that but I'm pretty sure it does. Turning it into a 1 pulse per 5 tick would probably dramatically reduce that load.

As opposed to power gen for laser drill. I agree with the other sentiment. The laser drill and the reactor or heated redstone gen takes zero fps hit to supply the power and the drill takes zero fps to give you the goods.

Someone said this before but I think the only way I can think of to move the SFM manager is the mekanism cardboard box. That thing works pretty good. I think the manager keeps track of it's connections via the cables, not absolute coordinates but yeah, as soon as you disconnected the cables from it, everything would be disconnected. bummer. thus, no way to move it. It's my one real pet peeve RE: SFM. It's such a damn pain to write a convuluted setup and then have to do it over and over and over again. Who knows. It might be intended behaviour from vswe as a nerf to the OP of the thing.

ZackUnme

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing the map like usual but i forgot to manually detect my bone knife blade & bone crossbar so i got to cheat mode and get me those things...I open the quest book and all of the button is gone....

Last edited:

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
when I turn on my 1 pulse/tick sieve, my FPS drops by about 25-30 FPS. I'm not sure if it's the block gate aspect that causes that but I'm pretty sure it does. Turning it into a 1 pulse per 5 tick would probably dramatically reduce that load.

As opposed to power gen for laser drill. I agree with the other sentiment. The laser drill and the reactor or heated redstone gen takes zero fps hit to supply the power and the drill takes zero fps to give you the goods.

I did say the reactor was probably the only way to run a laser at a reasonable speed (something that can compare with a sieve), and it wouldn't be laggy. Not sure about heated redstone, at 320rf/t you'd need 50+ of them to run a laser drill at speed, at which point they might start causing fps issues. I know you can run a laser slow, but really, what's the point? It'd just be so slow.

Considering pure lag, reactor/s and laser drill wins.
For lag vs resource speed, I still believe the sieve would win because it's just too fast to ignore. Even with a 5+clock which reduces lag issues, it would beat the laser drill on resources.

Must...Test...Cardboard...Box....

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing the map like usual but i remember i forgot to manually detect my bone knife blade & bone crossbar so i got to cheat mode and get me those things...I open the quest book and all of the button is gone....
Wait what

Did you cheat in a bone blade and crossbar or the rewards? Are you asking for help? Did you do "/hqm quest" at the beginning?

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019

Someone said this before but I think the only way I can think of to move the SFM manager is the mekanism cardboard box. That thing works pretty good. I think the manager keeps track of it's connections via the cables, not absolute coordinates but yeah, as soon as you disconnected the cables from it, everything would be disconnected. bummer. thus, no way to move it. It's my one real pet peeve RE: SFM. It's such a damn pain to write a convuluted setup and then have to do it over and over and over again. Who knows. It might be intended behaviour from vswe as a nerf to the OP of the thing.

Quick question. How many blocks are you exporting to the sieve on each tick? I took an FPS hit when I first set mine up, then realized I had every block in the chest trying to move through the system at once. I set it to export only 1 block a tick and I was suddenly back up to max fps

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Quick question. How many blocks are you exporting to the sieve on each tick? I took an FPS hit when I first set mine up, then realized I had every block in the chest trying to move through the system at once. I set it to export only 1 block a tick and I was suddenly back up to max fps
a barrel as input, so yeah, it's going up / down constantly. I have a convuluted setup. hammering, then, pulverizers now/future setup behind, with 4-5 barrels as output with 1 cobble input that I manually plop down from a hyperactive EU cobblegen when it fills with 8192 stacks. switch in front of either cobble, gravel, sand to choose what to pound. switch behind chooses gravel, sand, dust, soul sand to send to other barrel which has 2 SFM's hooked into it. that one barrel hits 15 sets of rapid item valve per 4 - 5 block gates. (15 sets of block gates actually). I see whatever item I choose go up/down/up/down while it's doing it's thing, so I know what you're talking about.

as comparison, before I took twisto's advice and disabled sound in MFR harvester (which I recommend), the jungle tree farm with no fertilizer working did way more damage to my FPS than the sieving did.

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
What I mean is, how many units of each sievable item is your program set to place in the world at a time? When you whitelist what items you want each block gate to use you can right click on the items and tell it to only place one item at a time. Only moving one item at a time really helps the framerate. Could I get screen caps of your setup? A 30 fps hit is pretty extreme

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
I have 3 sieves and in the gravel input I specified to take 3 items at a time. I do not see a noticeable fps drop, and my normal fps is less than 40 in the first place.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
What I mean is, how many units of each sievable item is your program set to place in the world at a time? When you whitelist what items you want each block gate to use you can right click on the items and tell it to only place one item at a time. Only moving one item at a time really helps the framerate. Could I get screen caps of your setup? A 30 fps hit is pretty extreme
The setup is identical to what vswe did . exactly . just alot more of the thingies (moving boxes all day, brain is somewhere in the street).

If I recall the next time I boot up CL I'll check to get some screengrabs.[DOUBLEPOST=1411617518][/DOUBLEPOST]
updated my image site and added builds from other packs http://slady020482.imgur.com/
I like the orange wool. it speaks to me (and tells me to murder my next door neighbor, but yeah, bad wool. bad wool.....)

also, I like the battlestar galactica ship thingies or is that star wars x wings :) hehe omg, this few brain cells in my head. weeeee now I know how the other side lives.

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
The setup is identical to what vswe did . exactly . just alot more of the thingies (moving boxes all day, brain is somewhere in the street).

If I recall the next time I boot up CL I'll check to get some screengrabs.[DOUBLEPOST=1411617518][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like the orange wool. it speaks to me (and tells me to murder my next door neighbor, but yeah, bad wool. bad wool.....)

also, I like the battlestar galactica ship thingies or is that star wars x wings :) hehe omg, this few brain cells in my head. weeeee now I know how the other side lives.

::High-five for box moving::
My wife and I are moving cross country in a week, I'm up to my eyeballs in boxes and I feel your pain :)

And I only ask to see your setup because I am not doing any hammering, just cobble pulverized into gravel into a chest into the system. Mostly curious as to how you have things layed out.

updated my image site and added builds from other packs http://slady020482.imgur.com/

I think the collapsed building is a brilliant idea! Just a thought but you might want to add more of a diagonal break from top to bottom to give it a more realistic feeling.