[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
I've yet to find a city with reactor buildings... after 4 attempts, all the while I've been expanding my base, automating this and that, etc. Currently I have a 'power thirst' of around 1000rf/t (Auto tree farm & water maker, auto sieve, various 'workshop' machines, etc). Without the lava gens, it was getting excessively grindy to make and then maintain the generators

Try the directons North/East (700/900 ish meters) North (1700 ish meters and slighly due west mostly north though) and West (800/1200 meters), on the 3 maps i have played/seen so far in on of those 3 locations there is always a generator building. Dunno how town generation works, but it seems in those directions there are always large town and other points of interest that slightly vary in composition. The default save game for me, spread over those 3 towns, has about 9 reactor buildings and a couple of subways and some nether structures. If my assumption is correct you should get lucky in either of those 3 towns regardless of generation.

1000rf/t.... wow... someone needs to turn off their lights!

seriously, how can you be using this much power constantly...

I have 6 furnace generators atm, and they satisfy all my power needs, except the mob farms which power themselves.

I don't get how maintaining generators can get to be a pain really either, no automation?

With full-time automation on most farms and stuff you can get past 1000 rf/t rather easy tbh, specially if you rely on pulverizer's instead of hammer set ups to get your sand/gravel. And if you dont bother to high oven it and just furnace the stuff it stacks up even faster with a good and speedy SFM sieve set up.

Add a laser drill to that, and youll quickly be over 20k rf/t depending on the config for the laser drill.

Yoshi667

Jul 29, 2019
Add a laser drill to that, and youll quickly be over 20k rf/t depending on the config for the laser drill.
If you are trying to run a laser drill without a reactor you are going to have a bad time.

While I originally thought that there was a massive gap in power between the dynamo and reactor and was frantically looking for something to bridge the gap. I have come to realise that I don't actually need everything running at once.

I get by with just 1 dynamo and a couple of survival gens. The dynamo recharges my cells and I move them around when I need them. This gives me enough power to run a group of machines to do "bulk" crafting. It's not automated yet but I consider what I will need in the future and plan ahead accordingly.

Also, I've finally caught up on the last 30 pages I missed while being busy. Unfortunately most of it was arguing and a bunch of people asking questions that have been answered 1000 times before.

Last edited:

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
With full-time automation on most farms and stuff you can get past 1000 rf/t rather easy tbh, specially if you rely on pulverizer's instead of hammer set ups to get your sand/gravel. And if you dont bother to high oven it and just furnace the stuff it stacks up even faster with a good and speedy SFM sieve set up.

Add a laser drill to that, and you'll quickly be over 20k rf/t depending on the config for the laser drill.

To be honest, I think if you're farms are running so fast they start munching at RF, you need to restrict their power supply (via leadstone cells probably).

I use pulverisers, and an SFM sieve - but I don't run them full time, there's just no need - I've got more resources than I know what to do with.
I never hit a point where I think "ooh, this automated setup needs to run at top speed or i'm screwed!"
That's the beauty of automation, you can run stuff slower, and let the resources trickle in. By the time you've gone off and built something, taking half an hour or more, you've got plenty of whatever the system was making.

So to me, a massive need for power is just from being immensely greedy, or from a poorly an inefficiently designed system running faster than it needs to. The only systems that need to run fast are those that supply power in the first place, in which case they should always make more power than they use.
Of course being greedy is all well and good. But if you want to be greedy, accept that you need to work harder to get more power to run stuff faster. It's not a 'grind' if your end goal is to get more of the same, but faster - Its the point. more of the same output requires more of the same input, which requires more of the same work - therefore the goal is to do more of the same work in the first place.

laser drill obviously falls in the 'greedy' category, heh.

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
"That's the beauty of automation, you can run stuff slower, and let the resources trickle in. By the time you've gone off and built something, taking half an hour or more, you've got plenty of whatever the system was making."

That's my solution.

"laser drill obviously falls in the 'greedy' category"

Remember though, a laser drill can totally run on less power. It doesn't need 20k, or even a fully powered pre charger at 5k. It's just slower without it.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Remember though, a laser drill can totally run on less power. It doesn't need 20k, or even a fully powered pre charger at 5k. It's just slower without it.
If the intention is to save power, then in terms of materials per RF, I think it's safe to say sieving trumps the laser drill.

If the intention is to cause less lag, or just run things slower, I think sieving still wins. I don't actually run my sieve on a 1-clock (like most people do with sfm), its on about a 5-clock - simply for peace of mind. It's also not on most of the time.

As an aside, fair warning to people copying SFM setups from youtubers, it seems none of them (that I've seen, feel free to point someone out) have built their SFM sieving setup with a 'proper' on/off switch. The general issue is that flipping the switch on triggers a redstone clock loop, but flipping the switch off doesn't necessarily stop the loop unless you time it right. To fix this, you can include a 'redstone condition' check after the trigger/s to test if the lever is on or not (may require additional tweaking based on the setup - I can't remember the exact specifics/settings used).

Reactions: ScottieC

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
As an aside, fair warning to people copying SFM setups from youtubers, it seems none of them (that I've seen, feel free to point someone out) have built their SFM sieving setup with a 'proper' on/off switch. The general issue is that flipping the switch on triggers a redstone clock loop, but flipping the switch off doesn't necessarily stop the loop unless you time it right. To fix this, you can include a 'redstone condition' check after the trigger/s to test if the lever is on or not (may require additional tweaking based on the setup - I can't remember the exact specifics/settings used).
Really? I've put the lever on the emitter, and flipping it has never failed to stop the device.

Olafski

Jul 29, 2019
Really ? i input on the left side, and output on the right side and i have had no issues with my my chambers so far. Nothing is getting stuck unless i fail to set up a good filter on the output, or if i fail to refuel the air compressors. Its still on a chest -> tube set up atm though, but i see no reason to change the input\output side since it handles the items quite well so far even in bulk.
He meant the presser from Pam's Harvestcraft, i.e. the thing that converts Soybean into Tofu and Soy Milk. :)

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I've put the lever on the emitter, and flipping it has never failed to stop the device.
depending on the setup, leaving the lever on may override the redstone pulse that would be leftover from the loop - which would stop it, maybe the switch is reversed?.

It depends on if you use "on high pulse", "on high signal", "on low pulse" or "on low signal" (or some combination) and how your emitter is setup - it's very finnicky, and having a bulletproof condition in there is never a bad idea.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
the problem with all the dynamos is that they all output 80rf/t. But, they are all the same. It's how much resources you put in and the quantity of those dynamos that determine overall power output based on the fuel. Generators tho differ greatly.

For me, I work on setting up as many battery as I possibly can before I get a powered setup going. Before it meant getting as many machine frames as possible, now I can get pcb's in cities, and the stuff required to make them mostly. Raid enough cities, THEN start power setup. Until then, I tend to have very minor power setups. I manually cut down 6 trees in their own plots for a very very long time. Manual farm. AA with hammers to pound, one batch of things at a time, collect resources, one sieve or expand that. First splurge is for an MFR planter/harvester w/jungle trees that I run intermittently to get a crap ton of leaves to crucible. Store everything in barrels. I purposely stay away from a powered system till I can support it.

Initially when I get my powered setup going, I plan on using tesseracts once that happens, thus, I just fill up the biggest battery I can from my survival gens or my reactant dynamo setups and manually move the battery to where I need it. Once you have a large grinding room setup or multiple small ones, they pay for themselves overall.

I then get some cursed earth, put those in the grinder rooms and then you have way more than you know what to do with.

I sieve dust forever at the beginning and throughout and get so much redstone that the heated redstone generator works wonders for the little resources you give it. That also adds to the mix.

Setting up a TNT generator with sound muffler at the extent of your base also helps alot for a good amount of time.

All of these add up to NOT having to readd the magmatics back in because there are multiple avenues to get energy. There are just zero options to just setup something and let it run unchecked. Magmatics allow that and that is why, specifically, they were removed from the pack, to get you to think outside the box.

also, as far as the sieving goes. I watched his release video about setting that up in sfm and did it just like he did and that time and the next that I setup that system, I didn't have a single issue with the lever working. The thing is that setup goes through so much resources in so little time that I just don't need to let it run for that long, so I run it to empty a barrel full of sand/dust/whatever and then switch it off. I have endless resources as it is.

Olafski

Jul 29, 2019
I then get some cursed earth, put those in the grinder rooms and then you have way more than you know what to do with.
Just out of curiosity, how do you get cursed earth? I'm secretly hoping there's a different method than the one I'm thinking of... :$

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that this map is to make things difficult, but I also feel that 'the grind' shouldn't be all that there is to the map so today I did it... I finally broke down and did it.... After managing mob essence from my mob trap for as many reactant dynamos as it could power, burning wood into charcoal for generators, using bio-reactors, etc... I finally got annoyed and re-enabled lava generators...

Though, to be fair (and to balance them a bit), I altered the recipe to require 2x PRC LX-300s
I've yet to find a city with reactor buildings... after 4 attempts, all the while I've been expanding my base, automating this and that, etc. Currently I have a 'power thirst' of around 1000rf/t (Auto tree farm & water maker, auto sieve, various 'workshop' machines, etc). Without the lava gens, it was getting excessively grindy to make and then maintain the generators
Could have easily gotten your 1000+ RF/t with just redstone heated generators.

busterdude

Jul 29, 2019
i left this pack and came back is he going to put in more quests in
this pack i like the pack but the quests there is not a lot of
them if you can stay alive they do not take that long to
do i did not leave the pack because of quest it was the
staying alive i did not go back to base win i dead i stayed
there and dead till world was gone and i had a shell at base
i have have not herd what is is doing for next part of pack

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Just out of curiosity, how do you get cursed earth? I'm secretly hoping there's a different method than the one I'm thinking of... :$

Kill a wither(s) and perform the activation ritual on a sigil they have a chance to drop.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
also, as far as the sieving goes. I watched his release video about setting that up in sfm and did it just like he did and that time and the next that I setup that system, I didn't have a single issue with the lever working.
Ok... maybe I'm paranoid then, or over-cautious. I usually see problems and fix them before they crop up - that gets out of hand sometimes.
When I'm not overtired and have some spare time, I'm re-watching videos and testing things...

hypnotizd

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys I've been following this pack an thread from the start but have stayed silent (never needed to say anything). But now I feel I must speak up. Well watching Hypnotized play this pack he was informed of a way to get infinite water early game, and well he did it an it worked!. Having followed this thread from start I know this way to get infinite water should not be, so I politely informed him of this. This is my reply and I quote: " if the mod pack author didn't like this functionality he shouldn't have included the mod. The mod doesn't have an option to change it. You might call it cheating, but it IS the way the mod was written." This shows to me he is more than happy to show how to exploit this map and ruin the ways it's meant to be played. Despite the fact I don't want it I gotta say 1.7 is now needed. Thought I'd just let you know, keep up the good work guys.
As someone who does not frequent these forums, I was not aware of any of these exploits. On the FTB Launcher, the description of this pack does not mention exploits that should not be used. In the game there are plenty of texts, none of which I've read mention exploits that should not be used.

It makes sense that ground water would not be salty and surface water would be. My intention was not to exploit but use game mechanics. Obviously the mod was written to be this way... it's not some glitch. How am I to know that this is an exploit? I do not play mod packs by reading forums; never have. In fact, I haven't read anything in these forums in well over a year and I won't be reading anything in this thread aside from this issue. I prefer to get tips from my viewers and not spend endless hours reading forum posts.

For those of you who are upset over this, my apologies. I've already recorded another episode before this was brought to my attention. Is there a post on this thread that mentions the exploits not to use? Can the mod pack author include that somewhere in the mod pack so others know not to do it?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
As someone who does not frequent these forums, I was not aware of any of these exploits. On the FTB Launcher, the description of this pack does not mention exploits that should not be used. In the game there are plenty of texts, none of which I've read mention exploits that should not be used.

It makes sense that ground water would not be salty and surface water would be. My intention was not to exploit but use game mechanics. Obviously the mod was written to be this way... it's not some glitch. How am I to know that this is an exploit? I do not play mod packs by reading forums; never have. In fact, I haven't read anything in these forums in well over a year and I won't be reading anything in this thread aside from this issue.

For those of you who are upset over this, my apologies. I've already recorded another episode before this was brought to my attention. Is there a post on this thread that mentions the exploits not to use? Can the mod pack author include that somewhere in the mod pack so others know not to do it?

Listen; no one cares how you play. If you play and feel a mechanic of any kind fair to you to use, bug or not, use it. Bugs and exploits aren't openly talked about because we don't want them to become common place use, however if you do know of and use one; that's fine.

We're not here to tell you what you can or can't do only what is intended. If there are options that far exceed the uses of other options with little or no effort and/or loss it's usually not intended. It's a common sense and personal preference call.

And please don't patronize us with an apology. You don't care what we think of you or how we react to you or your videos. If you did you wouldn't have felt the need to include something like, "...I prefer to get tips from my viewers and not spend endless hours reading forum posts."

Listen it doesn't bother us either way. Play however you feel appropriate. It would be considerate of you however, to link to the forum thread(Don't watch your videos so wouldn't know if you do) so those watching your videos that do what to play/research for themselves are able to easily.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019

Are you daft? You want the pack developer to list all the uncorrected exploits online and/or in-game? What you're asking for is a list of 'if my pack is too hard for you then here's some easy cheats you can employ'.

Exploits aren't supposed to be reported here to prevent their abuse until they are corrected via patch. For those that can't/won't be corrected...the less people that know, the better it is for the modpack.

From CL's launcher description:
You've managed to crash land on a dry, dusty planet. No water, no food, no real supplies. The first challenge, to survive the blazing heat where every drop of water is precious. So many modpacks and maps try making gameplay harder by altering hunger. Very few, in fact none I know of, look at Minecraft's other normally abundant resource, water. Well, now here it is the limited resource. Try not to dehydrate.?

The in-game book then goes on to describe how you're supposed to get water. It makes no mention of your chosen method does it? How does the description, combined with in-game tutorial, lead you to think your method isn't cheating?

Common sense, plain and simple.

Nuff said, and I'm out [drops mike...steps off soapbox]

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019

I didn't find one until my sixth City. And it was exactly that just one reactor

Altaree

Jul 29, 2019
How much pressure is in the system currently? It won't pull them in until it has enough and even though you are doing all 22 at once, it still uses the same amount of pressure as if you did them individually so it has to build up more before it'll put them in.
I have found that if I put in more than 10 at a time of any item they get stuck. Even if I am loading parts of a capcitor.