[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't gotten into pneumaticraft yet, but watching a mod spotlight I see EVERYTHING uses iron. Jadedcat tweaked some of the recipes in AgSkies because of the high iron usage and allowed us to make some common items with ingots other than iron (i.e. hoppers and servos come to mind). My last playthrough on 1.0.5 had me constantly wishing I had more iron, while I left stacks of other metals sitting in my chests.

Does this imbalance still exist between iron ratios received from Ex Nihilo vs iron ratios required for building stuff? I might be a little premature in saying there's a problem, but I have concerns after looking over default recipes for pneumaticraft.

Autonomous Activators are very cheap to make and can pulverize cobble into gravel with hammers in their inventories; I fill mine with lead hammers since they have great durability and I hardly use lead. There is the issue of EntityScent being spammed because of it, and I had to disable Zombie Awareness until a solution is found. Just two (or rather four, with half placing) can outpace a sifter with 4 Autonomous Activators. It's very easy to get iron after that point.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
There is the issue of EntityScent being spammed because of it, and I had to disable Zombie Awareness until a solution is found.

Oh! So that's what was causing that issue. I asked about this earlier and nobody knew what I was talking about. So ZA is the culprit.

Croccy

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't gotten into pneumaticraft yet, but watching a mod spotlight I see EVERYTHING uses iron. Jadedcat tweaked some of the recipes in AgSkies because of the high iron usage and allowed us to make some common items with ingots other than iron (i.e. hoppers and servos come to mind). My last playthrough on 1.0.5 had me constantly wishing I had more iron, while I left stacks of other metals sitting in my chests.

Does this imbalance still exist between iron ratios received from Ex Nihilo vs iron ratios required for building stuff? I might be a little premature in saying there's a problem, but I have concerns after looking over default recipes for pneumaticraft.
Yeah, I find myself short of iron most of the time, until I get a few AA's.

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to follow suit with what Jaded did for AS and add aluminum as a possible replacement for iron in a few select recipes. It's barely used, and 95% of our iron is going towards PneumaticCraft.

Croccy

Jul 29, 2019
Increasing the chance for iron dust in the Ex Nihilo config could be another method.
I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to follow suit with what Jaded did for AS and add aluminum as a possible replacement for iron in a few select recipes. It's barely used, and 95% of our iron is going towards PneumaticCraft.
Yeah, I hardly use aluminium, is tweaking pneumaticcraft recipes possible?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013

You will be bottle necked a bit setting up, but it shouldn't be too bad beyond that point. And besides, with free dust all around, you won't be nearly as short on raw materials as AgSkies.

Hmm, spamming Activators isn't intended behavior, either. I'd rather not nerf bat them, but, well, we shall see. I understand why Jadedcat did what she did in AgSkies, but there is already a fair amount of grind in Crash Landing, I'd rather not add to it.

I am not going to change the Activator recipe, I think. I will be removing the ability to hammer cobble, gravel, and sand, though. TE3 has pulverizer recipes, and since you can get metals from dust the lack of gravel sieving until you get your tech infrastructure up won't be a bad thing. Especially if people are spamming Activators enough to cause lag from ZA.

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, that solves that problem neatly. No infinite resources without at least some tech infrastructure. This isn't an arbitrary decision. Without this change you could get infinite amounts of metals without ever building anything more advanced than a vanilla cobble gen and a furnace. How about no, no, let's not do that.

Rather than nerf the AA to hell like AgSkies, I've left it alone. You can still automate a sieve as much as you like. You will, however, need to dig the dust yourself to keep it fed until you get a pulverizer going. A fair change. Doesn't add a substantial amount of grinding (you will likely have stacks and stacks of dust anyway, just from building defenses and making your base), gets rid of a potential lag issue with ZA and moves the last bits of infinite resource generation to the mid game, along with food and water.

(as an edit, and a bit of personal amusement, check the dust sieve output against AgSkies...and realize I nerfed metal output a bit back....and no one noticed)

Parveln

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that solves that problem neatly. No infinite resources without at least some tech infrastructure. This isn't an arbitrary decision. Without this change you could get infinite amounts of metals without ever building anything more advanced than a vanilla cobble gen and a furnace. How about no, no, let's not do that.

Rather than nerf the AA to hell like AgSkies, I've left it alone. You can still automate a sieve as much as you like. You will, however, need to dig the dust yourself to keep it fed until you get a pulverizer going. A fair change. Doesn't add a substantial amount of grinding (you will likely have stacks and stacks of dust anyway, just from building defenses and making your base), gets rid of a potential lag issue with ZA and moves the last bits of infinite resource generation to the mid game, along with food and water.

(as an edit, and a bit of personal amusement, check the dust sieve output against AgSkies...and realize I nerfed metal output a bit back....and no one noticed)

Of course we noticed I just thought you had nerfed it because we had a dust covered planet. That's the reason I'm sieving gravel instead of dust.

Edit: I also agree with the other. Just using iron feels boring why no other materials?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Of course we noticed I just thought you had nerfed it because we had a dust covered planet. That's the reason I'm sieving gravel instead of dust.

Edit: I also agree with the other. Just using iron feels boring why no other materials?

I can't change the Pneumaticcraft requirement. As for the rest, take a closer look. You know how much iron you need for an Activator? 1 ingot. Terrain Smasher? 3 ingots (Needs an invar pick, which is 2 iron and a ferrous, plus a piston). Machine frames take a little less than 4 ingots. (4 invar ingots, which are 2/3 an iron ingot each, plus 1 more for the logic circuit, so 3.667 aproximately). Pneumatic Servos take 0. This means that pretty much every TE3 and MFR machine you build is actually using less iron than their usual recipes, sometimes significantly so. Oh, and the biggest offender for iron usage in early game AgSkies, the Magmatic Dynamo? Doesn't exist here. Unless you are going bug nuts using hoppers and buckets you should using very little iron in the beginning, allowing you to stockpile it for the Pneumaticcraft push.

Things are balanced like they are for a reason. I don't make arbitrary decisions.

Reactions: Trizoe

Zero5211

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I detest manually pulverizing my cobble into what I need, I suppose it's for the best. It's going to take quite a few hammers to get enough emeralds from sifting gravel to get that PCB Blueprint; maybe you could alter the recipe and have the corner emeralds be replaced by diamonds or something? It's just a temp recipe until the mod author implements a Mechanic villager to trade with and obtain one. It gets really boring when the only thing holding you back is sifting resources, and with the 1% drop chance, you have to (statistically) sift through 800 gravel just to get enough to make the PCBs you need for the new recipe for machine frames. Altering the recipe as suggested would cut that in half.

I actually did notice that dust did not drop nickel or platinum. It made sense since you've make invar necessary for machine frames now. I started in 1.0.6 though, so I didn't see it change.

plus 1 more for the logic circuit

7 actually, you need 6 to make the transistors and resistors.

Parveln

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to get grass seeds other than sieving dirt? Like right clicking grass with a mattock?[DOUBLEPOST=1403609705][/DOUBLEPOST]
That is intended. You are supposed to get to the point of automating water, usually with a harvester/planter combo. Of course, that takes tech, and that take Pneumaticcraft. It is a deliberate balance point.

With the removal of rain, I will be re-adding wooden barrels and reverting stone barrels to their normal crafting recipe. I will also, then, buff leaves to 100 mB each and nerf saplings slightly to 100 mB each. The idea being the transposer/crucible route is faster but less efficient, while composting->dirt->dirty water->clean water is more efficient but slower and harder to automate.

If I can get a way to add transposer recipes directly, I'd like to remove leaves from the crucible and add them to the transposer. ATM I can't do that, as the method I am using now requires that a)all recipes have an output and b) all recipes be reversible. Making recipes that can not thus be exploitable is somewhat hard, I need the output items something you can get normally or cannot be used elsewhere. (A good example of this failing is oak tree sapling->grass. Grass can be composted, meaning you can double dip the water output a bit)

Edit: Someone mentioned a problem automating pressure regulation in Pneumaticcraft. The simplest way to do this is using a pressure gauge tube and 8 redstone. Simply replace one of the regular pressure tubes in your system with a pressure gauge system, lay down 8 redstone between it and your compressor, and set the compressor to turn off when it receives a redstone signal. Since the gauge gives off a signal equal to twice the pressure it contains, when your system goes above 4 bars of pressure that puts off enough redstone signal to travel through 8 redstone dust and turn off the compressor. When the pressure drops below 4 bars, the compressor will lose the signal and turn back on. Do note, the compressor will not turn off until it completes a burn cycle, it won't just stop in the middle. For coal and charcoal this isn't a problem, as even 1 extra won't be enough to push the pressure into the red zone. Using coal or charcoal blocks, otoh, is dangerous as a full block is more than enough to raise the pressure too much.

Just be sure to fix rain plant if you remove rain. They are required for various recipes.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
As much as I detest manually pulverizing my cobble into what I need, I suppose it's for the best. It's going to take quite a few hammers to get enough emeralds from sifting gravel to get that PCB Blueprint; maybe you could alter the recipe and have the corner emeralds be replaced by diamonds or something? It's just a temp recipe until the mod author implements a Mechanic villager to trade with and obtain one. It gets really boring when the only thing holding you back is sifting resources, and with the 1% drop chance, you have to (statistically) sift through 800 gravel just to get enough to make the PCBs you need for the new recipe for machine frames. Altering the recipe as suggested would cut that in half.

I actually did notice that dust did not drop nickel or platinum. It made sense since you've make invar necessary for machine frames now. I started in 1.0.6 though, so I didn't see it change.

7 actually, you need 6 to make the transistors and resistors.
Right. I shouldnt post while tired. I need to look into a few things in Pmeumaticcraft.[DOUBLEPOST=1403611017][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is there a way to get grass seeds other than sieving dirt? Like right clicking grass with a mattock?[DOUBLEPOST=1403609705][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just be sure to fix rain plant if you remove rain. They are required for various recipes.
Check NEI, All PC seeds are craftable.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
And yikes. That PCB pattern recipe should have been fixed. I thought I had fixed it. I will certainly fix it the time

Parveln

Jul 29, 2019
Right. I shouldnt post while tired. I need to look into a few things in Pmeumaticcraft.[DOUBLEPOST=1403611017][/DOUBLEPOST]
Check NEI, All PC seeds are craftable.

Well yeah but if you don't want to spend your entire lifetime sifting dirt for grass seeds then you'd better just plant them, which will be impossible without rain.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Well yeah but if you don't want to spend your entire lifetime sifting dirt for grass seeds then you'd better just plant them, which will be impossible without rain.
Drop rate isn't that bad. And Pneumaticcraft plants respond to bone meal just fine. Use 2, and only 2 and you then punch to harvest you get 2 seeds back nearly every time. Basically, creeper seeds come from creepers, squid seeds can be gotten from squids (with a little luck) and that leaves only lightning seeds to be gotten from grass seeds. Once.

Anyway, I've got to retune 1.0.8. And think about what I want to do with those activators. I'm not messing with their recipe, if I can at all help it, but full automation of metals from infinite sources before getting your first machine was and is unintended. I don't mind partial automation, via manually refilling hoppers and such, but you should not be able to just set a system up and let it run forever until mid game at the earliest. Especially if two rather cheap activators can supply several sieves. That balance is just off. I am, however, too tired to wrap my head around the problem. I may just add a machine frame to the recipe and call it a day.

I also will be adding a repeatable quest for the PCB pattern. That was on my list because the current recipe is more than slightly insane, but somehow it slipped past me in the last update. My apologies. I will be basically giving you the pattern you need, and make it repeatable so you can get more. Quite frankly, the process is sufficiently complex without adding more grind to it.

NekoAli

Jul 29, 2019
hmm... Perhaps add more recipes for shears to us aluminum or copper? I am in the same iron position. I'm stuck with the pneumatic craft quests because I will need a ton of iron for the compression chamber. I have plenty of other resources, but iron is the serious bottleneck. I haven't made a lot of machines or anything with iron yet. One AA, one terrain smasher, one bucket and one hopper for the vacuum hopper. But shears to keep my water production going costs a lot. I went and changed the melting leaves to 100 mb per leaf, so I need 10 leaves instead of 50 for a bucket, and re-enabled wood barrels, since I have rain disabled and you said those changes were coming in 1.0.8. I'm still very far away from automating most anything at this point, because of the high costs of things like harvesters and pulverizers. I did get a small smeltery (1 level) up and running to double my ore output, and in between tending my tree farm and garden I've been doing a lot of cobble smashing to sift gravel and get sand for glass. I actually took some time yesterday to re-do my living space... Tore down the space ship to build a 9x9 building and laid wood slabs all around to prevent spawning. I just needed a break from the endless grinding for iron.

joshuad156

Jul 29, 2019
Shears, buckets, and hoppers are so useful early game when iron is still so sparse. I just really appreciated having recipes that can use other metals that aren't really used. I'm sure by the time I start using pneumaticraft I'll be close to automating gravel sieving.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
That is exactly how I do it, Doom. For the same reasons. And to save resources. The spiders get caught in the indentation the fence makes, so they won't climb over the slab. In fact every morning I just walk around the top of the fence and stab the spiders, then hop down to collect the drops. Without the more traditional 2-slab overhang, the mobs in the pit don't have cover from the sun.

Later on, once you have sugar cane production you can craft punji sticks and ring the pit and the fencing to kill off mobs even at night. I usually put them every 3 blocks so I can still hop into the pit. It looks funny hanging in air next to the fence, but they still work.

I also used fences to secure my base. Dug up the block on the outside and also directly below the fence. Then planted Punji Sticks >under<the fence. The base area is 30x50 blocks, every morning I just run a round in the outside pit and collect all drops, usually 5-7 stacks of flesh and 2-3 stacks of bones. (Means 10-14 dirt per day and enough bonemeal that food is never an issue anymore.)

And I've added another ring of torches outside of the fence. Now the spiders spawn far enough away that they just stay there and don't even try to enter the base area.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I also used fences to secure my base. Dug up the block on the outside and also directly below the fence. Then planted Punji Sticks >under<the fence. The base area is 30x50 blocks, every morning I just run a round in the outside pit and collect all drops, usually 5-7 stacks of flesh and 2-3 stacks of bones. (Means 10-14 dirt per day and enough bonemeal that food is never an issue anymore.)

And I've added another ring of torches outside of the fence. Now the spiders spawn far enough away that they just stay there and don't even try to enter the base area.
securing my base is most of the time using a trap door on a 1*1 pit in front of my door leading down to my basement where i have a wack-a-mole game set up for their feet....patent pending...rofl