[1.2.5 Insanity] What do you consider cheating?

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
yeah i've seen more people complain about lag of the TT.
wish to know how you gian 800k emc in 25 secs tough...

You do need a primary setup of 15 minutes for the 35k and one extra hour(could be faster, I multitasked) over that 15 minutes for the 880k.

canotsa said:
Woah, gimme. I want dat.

Yeah, I figured it was a "wantable" huge amount of EMC that's why I think it is cheating it's a bit too easy. I am considering(but I would't want to disturb him too much) PM'ing Slowpoke about how I did it to confirm if it was intended or if I've caused the map developping team Ire and Agony.

Andromeida

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I feel that the only way you can determine what is considered cheating is by asking yourself. I think this is more a question of what is considered an 'exploit' as opposed to what exploits are allowed. If you feel that the Blaze rod method is an exploit, then don't use it, however if you think it is just a game mechanic you can use then go ahead. In the end the only person who is going to judge you is yourself. :D

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
Andromeida said:
Personally I feel that the only way you can determine what is considered cheating is by asking yourself. I think this is more a question of what is considered an 'exploit' as opposed to what exploits are allowed. If you feel that the Blaze rod method is an exploit, then don't use it, however if you think it is just a game mechanic you can use then go ahead. In the end the only person who is going to judge you is yourself. :D

I know you probably just used it as an example, But no, it's not the blaze rod macerating thing, Remember; I only 'just' got my redstone from the first trial. I don't (well now I do, but at the time of this technique I did not) have tin nor copper. And just how the heck would have I got blaze rods? lol

-edit-

Maybe I was just being Paranoiac too, You never directed any of your post to me LOL :)
Yeahhhhhh *cough* nevermind me unless you specify otherwise ^_^

slauter

Jul 29, 2019
According to official rules these are the only things that will invalidate a speed run

1. using any exploit namly the blazerod/bonemeal macerator system is one big example

2. spawning anything at all.

3. taking anything from the monument

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
slauter said:
According to official rules these are the only things that will invalidate a speed run

1. using any exploit namly the blazerod/bonemeal macerator system is one big example

yeah well, I guess that makes my method legit for now, I am still waiting for a reply from Slowpoke on the subject, Maybe it's gonna get added to the rules =)

IBurn36360

Jul 29, 2019
Slauter is an authority on FTB, especially since he helped build some of the versions of the maps. I am an authority being the web admin (hidden because I honestly want to) and one of the image makers for FTB.

- IBurn36360

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
IBurn36360 said:
Slauter is an authority on FTB, especially since he helped build some of the versions of the maps. I am an authority being the web admin (hidden because I honestly want to) and one of the image makers for FTB.

- IBurn36360

interesting about Slauter I might PM him What I sent to Slowpoke then.

Hey! you were red before! lol So, I guess you are useraccount 2 eh? 2 and 54, What do they have in common? I guess 56 is a cool number, dividable by 7 and 8, and 54 is dividable by 9 and 6, That's 6 7 8 9. As for 2, well I don't know. I'm bored.

Anyways, Yeah, Hello Slauter! =D

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Without looking at what others have written, I honestly think it depends on what the item is: if it is an item that you have created through ~30 minutes worth of work, and it gets dropped into the void accidentally, you should be allowed to bring it back. However, if it is during either preperation for a tournament, or you dying/getting it blown up by a creeper/dropping into the void, that I consider your own dang fault, and you should make it again.

What do I know, though? Never really completed the map!

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
slauter said:

Pardon my ignorance, where can I find those rules? And specifically, are there more "exploits" than blazerod/bonemeal maceration? I would say chainmilking a cow would be just as much an exploit but hey where do you draw the line.
And yea, I only play single player for myself so I understand I can do what I want and cheat when I "feel" I can do it. Just wanted some opinions :) And thx guys for input!

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
motorhue said:
slauter said:

Pardon my ignorance, where can I find those rules? And specifically, are there more "exploits" than blazerod/bonemeal maceration? I would say chainmilking a cow would be just as much an exploit but hey where do you draw the line.
And yea, I only play single player for myself so I understand I can do what I want and cheat when I "feel" I can do it. Just wanted some opinions :) And thx guys for input!

The whole point of FTB is to complete the map as fast as possible through the knowledge of your mods. Since the blaze trick occurs then that means that you should be able to do it. Besides, you need some way generate EMC. Their are many ways to generate EMC so all the blaze rod trick does is speed up the inevitable.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Loothias said:
motorhue said:
slauter said:

The whole point of FTB is to complete the map as fast as possible through the knowledge of your mods. Since the blaze trick occurs then that means that you should be able to do it. Besides, you need some way generate EMC. Their are many ways to generate EMC so all the blaze rod trick does is speed up the inevitable.
i dont even think blazerod is the fastest, my farm might be better if i set it up correctly and better.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Just where DID he say that he thought it was a bug, or that he thought it was cheating?

It seems VERY intentional to me that 5 powder come out of one blazerod, because 5 bonemeal come out of one bone. Now maybe somebody will say, "yes, but you craft 3 bonemeal and 2 powder. 3 into 5 is one thing, 2 into 5 is another" And that I will give them credit for, and then I would agree to be limited to the bonemeal version, instead of the blaze powder version. IF we where competing against eachother.

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Sorry to say, But Slauter thinks my method of getting EMC is definately an exploit (I'm awesome aren't I?)
But yeah, long story short, You're not getting "how to" anytime soon ^_^ sorry.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
DarkJDL said:
Well, Sorry to say, But Slauter thinks my method of getting EMC is definately an exploit (I'm awesome aren't I?)
will we get any hints?
i'd say my reed farm is an exploit also but i know people who say it is intended to work like that, tough i suppose they dont know how it actually works and the amount it creates.

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
DarkJDL said:
will we get any hints?
i'd say my reed farm is an exploit also but i know people who say it is intended to work like that, tough i suppose they dont know how it actually works and the amount it creates.

Well, a reed farm takes at least some amount of time to create EMC. The Bigger the better the EMC; But with my method. once you do one setup you can repeat it over and over and basically make Millions of EMC in minutes.
(880k/25-30 seconds really, including the transmutation tablet lag(it lags more and more the more I advance in the map though =/))

adib

Jul 29, 2019
DarkJDL said:
adib said:
DarkJDL said:
will we get any hints?

Well, a reed farm takes at least some amount of time to create EMC. The Bigger the better the EMC; But with my method. once you do one setup you can repeat it over and over and basically make Millions of EMC in minutes.
(880k/25-30 seconds really, including the transmutation tablet lag(it lags more and more the more I advance in the map though =/))
you havent seen my reeds farm, it consists of 7-14 reeds an pedestal and an alch chest
but gimme hints :p

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
you havent seen my reeds farm, it consists of 7-14 reeds an pedestal and an alch chest

Make a Fresh start. Get the redstone from the first trial.

Sit down for a while and think about what you can do now that you couldn't do before.
That should be enough hint imo lol I know redstone is vast. But think so impractical that nobody would do it because "there's no point" But I did it because "I see a point" or at least, saw at the time of my epiphany.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
DarkJDL said:
adib said:

Make a Fresh start. Get the redstone from the first trial.

Sit down for a while and think about what you can do now that you couldn't do before.
That should be enough hint imo lol I know redstone is vast. But think so impractical that nobody would do it because "there's no point" But I did it because "I see a point" or at least, saw at the time of my epiphany.
is it something you craft? something which needs an logic gate? something which needs basic wiring?

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
OK so I suppose I should comment on this. Technically the blaze rod 'exploit' the bones and a couple of the other methods where one is effectively creating EMC in a mothod that allows you to create infinte loops. However this is essentially for single player and co-op so if you feel that blaze rods is fun for you then unless you are attempting some sort of record run then I would say go for it. Personally I dont like using macerators for EMC, however milking cows endlessly is OK with me. Its a fine line between the 2 I know, but one I do not want to cross personally.

In the future this will not be an issue as we can change the EMC values to correct for things like macerated items in EE3. However we already took steps to actually fix this in insanity. The maps length is no longer governed bu how fast you can generate EMC, its now more about the creation of infrastructure. Its fine making 15 million EMC an hour, you still have to spend it to complete the map and thats where our balance comes in. (yes we had these discussions a long time ago :).