1.14 update in progress

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

The loom isn't everything I've always wanted for banners, but it's close.

Mushroom stew with potion effects.
Random ones are cool, but being able to put it together yourself is even better. Sure, you don't want to get them confused after you eat them, but as long as you only make one at a time, it's a viable way to get potion effects before the nether.

Crossbows.
Let there be choice in ranged attacks!

Flowers for every dye type.
Wither rose is rather hard to get, so not every one of these is going to be able to be trivially farmed, but it does push more things towards unlimited in the vanilla game, and I am pleased with that. No brown flower, but cocoa is easily farmed anyway. I'm not sure if I'd want one for, say, third medium grey shade, but as long as all the main colours are actually covered, good enough.

Dye types as separate items.
And good for it. Part of me is pondering a thaumcraft/botania pack where you have to magic dust the flowers to get the botania ones.

New materials.
I think the textures fit in well enough. I love more blocks. As well as being able to make smooth smoothstone and smooth sandstone by cooking them instead of the slightly longer process that we've seen elsewhere.

New slabs.
The more slabs, the better. Is it every block as a slab? No. Not quite yet. Next up, etho-slab?

New steps.
Quite a few new kinds of stairs. Stairs of all block types? No, not quite yet, but closer.

new signs
Signs for all basic wood types. Forestry is going to have a bit of work to do if they want to keep matching.

New mobs.
Bamboo Forest + Pandas.

Dispenser code is now updated to use shears.

So many mods are going to sit and look at this and say, "but I implemented that code better."

So. Any progress reports from the rebuild of forge?

Whoa. New vanilla machines! It looks like they are meant to be in villages, and possibly only used by testificates, but they would be rather cool for mods to pick up and extend.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Why does every post about a minecraft update include that the features presented in said update have already been modded in?

With the amount of mods available its given that pretty much anything that Mojang can implement already exists or did exist in a mod.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Why does every post about a minecraft update include that the features presented in said update have already been modded in?

With the amount of mods available its given that pretty much anything that Mojang can implement already exists or did exist in a mod.
It's not just 'already exists in a mod', it is that 'a mod did it *BETTER*'. If the Mojang team had worked with the mod developers and incorporated some of what they did, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and ending up with an inferior product, there would both be fewer costs on Mojang's side and superior quality overall for all players.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

It probably has to do with the fact that Mojang has been promising the mod api for.. well.. years?
They were going to hire (or did hire?) modders to help with the implementation, and we are still waiting.

Minecraft code is bloated, mods like foamfix, optifine, etc correct a lot of this, and good modders make their code cleaner than vanilla, yet they make half arsed attempts to implement "new blocks" that have been in modded for quite some time.. and ignore the modding api.

I'm sorry that I hear about the "Bamboo Forrest" and all I can think of is BoP, and how it's been there since 1.7.4...

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It probably has to do with the fact that Mojang has been promising the mod api for.. well.. years?
They were going to hire (or did hire?) modders to help with the implementation, and we are still waiting.

We may not have a mod api but I'd argue that we don't need one. At best, mojang's api will allow the same things that forge allows us to do, with the same amount of breakage. The only benefit is that modders don't have to wait for forge to update before they can start updating their mod, but that comes at the cost that the mod API will only get updates at the normal update speed. So if you found a bug in it that your mod depends on you will have to wait for the next minecraft update and hope its fixed there.

More likely is though that it will end up being more limited than forge though at the benefit that mods have a chance to not need to update much/anything.

Meanwhile, Mojang is instead focusing on another way to edit their game. Mainly resource packs and datapacks (also, command blocks).
With resource packs you can edit
textures
sounds
block models
colormaps (which is used to set the colors used in each biome)
You can also add textures and sounds that are normally not used. Extra sounds can be played using commands and extra textures can be loaded using meta data (I believe) and in 1.14 you can use NBT as well to load them

Datapacks however is where the real fun starts. With these you can edit:
advancements
functions
loot tables
structures
recipes
tags (which is a way to group stuff together)

And in 1.14 loot tables can look at the NBT data of the used tool to mine a block. Allowing you to (for example) make a stone pickaxe that has a different texture + name and drops diamonds whenever its used to mine a stone block.

All these things may not sound exited for modded players but considering people can use them WITHOUT ANY experience with java that is a huge leap forward than it used to be.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

One of the earlier vids played with the idea that the villagers and the village update goes with the new crafting tables, this one goes a tiny bit further.

With some of the crafting tables actually having a function but not a UI yet, and having it pair even better, I'm starting to really like this idea.

What if villagers code like hoppers and just put items in or take them out by being there? What if, like automating a field with a villager, you could automate one of these with the right villager?

Anybody here with a mod? Would you be willing to move some of the crafting in your mod to one of these 11 new tables?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Anybody here with a mod? Would you be willing to move some of the crafting in your mod to one of these 11 new tables?

Not a mod maker but I think that that question is more of a "when" than an "if". After the dust of the update settles and mods are starting to work with them people will experiment with them and mods that use them will soon follow. After that libraries will be made to make it easier for mod devs to work with them (if needed) and they will become just like a furnace.

Having set that, it also highly depends on how they end up working. The bigger the chance off conflicting recipes and other limits the less dev's are willing to use them, especially if they don't bring anything new to the table that a crafting table doesn't bring.

So.... lets wait and see what happens :)

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I exclusively play modded and laugh every time I see an update to vanilla. "Oh looks, more sprites under the ocean! Pandas in trees!" Meh.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I exclusively play modded and laugh every time I see an update to vanilla. "Oh looks, more sprites under the ocean! Pandas in trees!" Meh.

Look at it this way... Eventually you WILL have to deal with the new Vanilla realities as Forge and Mod creators start dealing with newer MC versions... :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Here we are playing with lasers, various energyu systems, red/dark matter, building custom dimensions in game, adventuring in weird worlds, mucking around with warp, etc and Mojang are like "Look, pandas!"

Based on another game that added Pandas (which basically killed the game) my hopes & interest are not high.

Reactions: Reddis

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Here we are playing with lasers, various energyu systems, red/dark matter, building custom dimensions in game, adventuring in weird worlds, mucking around with warp, etc and Mojang are like "Look, pandas!"

Based on another game that added Pandas (which basically killed the game) my hopes & interest are not high.
*whispers*
(was that a side swipe at WoW?)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Given the number of changes, especially with fluid behaviour, I think it would be sensible to stay at 1.12 for at least the next six months; let that build up an even greater set of mods. Although the official FTB releases have been considered to be somewhat underwhelming by some, there are some great packs out, and - critically - I think that the maturity and range of the mods has been growing steadily, so we're in a situation where something like Infinity Evolved could come along in that timeframe.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Given the number of changes, especially with fluid behaviour, I think it would be sensible to stay at 1.12 for at least the next six months; let that build up an even greater set of mods. Although the official FTB releases have been considered to be somewhat underwhelming by some, there are some great packs out, and - critically - I think that the maturity and range of the mods has been growing steadily, so we're in a situation where something like Infinity Evolved could come along in that timeframe.
Trouble is people were pretty much saying the same about 1.7.10, but too many people want to keep rushing to the latest "greatest" version of MC.

I still say there should just be a single "Modded Minecraft" version that stays fixed, no new vanilla content, and give Forge and Modders the fixed enviroment to develop further.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I concur - the problem is, there needs to be consensus within the community for that to happen.

But I'd be happy to wave the flag for "lets stick to 1.12", and if that's the mountain I die on, so be it.

Reactions: Golrith

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
Pick a favorite mod with a fairly extensive history.
Now look at the number of downloads per MCversion.
Notice MC version 1.7.10 of your favorite mod seems to get the most downloads.
This should tell you, many did not like or trust any new versions under Microsoft.
Many players I have spoken to, do not like the constant new versions crap.
Sooner or later, players will tire of new Minecraft versions at, simply because of what has already been said here.
Modders do a better job at some features and some would offer their code freely if asked.
As far as Minecraft getting a modding API with new features added instead of vast changes, will never happen as long a Microsoft has a say in the matter.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Looks like DocM77's got more news for us.

The grindstone now does repair by combining two items together, instead of being in your inventory. It also gives you EXP back and consumes the enchants.

Video contains a preview of the new village design. Villagers that require beds, not just doors.

Mo'Villages might be out of a job. Quark is going to have work to do. I'm honestly quite impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: glepet1962

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
I don't even look at Microsoft versions of Java Minecraft any more. There is an entire community of Minecraft fans devoted to MC 1.7.10. I get to play with older mods next to new mods with no worlds or mods breaking. If a mod is poorly done, I simply do not have to use it.
Some new version of vanilla Minecraft, full of bugs, with new features, does not impress me any more. It's the same old story over and over again.
Until Mojang gets rid of Microsoft, and devs a modding api, anything new will always be substandard just like Microsoft has always been.