Mod Feedback [1.12][1.11.2][1.10.2][1.8.9][1.7.10] Dynamic Surroundings Info/Support

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really curious about Shneekey's experience here, it seems so completely out of whack with everything I've experienced using this mod. How is everything so... loud... for you?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm really curious about Shneekey's experience here, it seems so completely out of whack with everything I've experienced using this mod. How is everything so... loud... for you?
That's the odd thing, most things aren't, just the dang footsteps and the jumping noises (which don't have a slider bar or a config option other than boolean yes/no).

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
A little bit about my self - I do have a slight hearing problem (tinnitus). Makes working on this mod a real challenge. :)

I experimented a bit with what Shneekey set the scale factor to and it is a bit better. Though for me it seems better at 0.05 rather than 0.01. For the next BETA I am defaulting to 0.05.

The jump sound is tied to ambience, though in the next BETA it will be tied to players. I will take a look at the default volume - I have been thinking of tweaking for a while. Any thoughts on the bow pull back sound?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A little bit about my self - I do have a slight hearing problem (tinnitus). Makes working on this mod a real challenge. :)

I experimented a bit with what Shneekey set the scale factor to and it is a bit better. Though for me it seems better at 0.05 rather than 0.01. For the next BETA I am defaulting to 0.05.

The jump sound is tied to ambience, though in the next BETA it will be tied to players. I will take a look at the default volume - I have been thinking of tweaking for a while. Any thoughts on the bow pull back sound?
Well, I don't actually use vanilla bows, since I have TiCo and crossbows. However, the problem with the jumping and the walking noises were loud enough that I couldn't hear mobs around me, which was causing... issues. However, even if the bow noise is off a bit, it won't be as big a problem because it isn't happening constantly.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019

Basing it off RL bows? There really isn't much of a "sound". Creaking wood and straining fiber mistly, nearly silent.

It's the twang of release that's remarkable.

In Forest Biomes, I'd love to hear whippoorwills at twilight and dusk.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
And I still shoot bows recreationally, I'm not saying there isn't a sound at all, just that there isn't nearly as much as most games see fit to add.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
It's been a long time since I used a bow. The sound is there - my goal is to not make it too overwhelming.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
[17:55:13] [Thread-23/INFO] [STDOUT]: [paulscode.sound.SoundSystemLogger:errorMessage:131]: Error in class 'SourceLWJGL OpenAL'
[17:55:13] [Thread-23/INFO] [STDOUT]: [paulscode.sound.SoundSystemLogger:errorMessage:132]: Channel null in method 'pause'

Does this belong to you?

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
There seems to be something weird going on with my sounds, I'll try to get you a proper log once I can pin it down. I don't know if it's a conflict between Dynamic Surroundings and Sound Filters, or just some other odd thing.

Again, I'll post more data as I have it. (I've mostly been focusing on configuring spawners today... soooo)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm getting a bunch of noise at very low y levels. It sounds like water and lava are creating cobble or something, that noise, only it's happening way too consistently for this to actually be occurring. Did you cause this noise to happen whenever you have lava near water, along with the steam? If so, could it be disabled please?

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I used to generate a hiss noise when steam was created, but I disabled that. Only other possibility I can think of is the block sound for redstone. It also emits a low hiss type sound.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Then I guess there's a LOT of Redstone in them thar hills... looks like I'd best get to branch mining...

Does seem a bit cheaty that you can follow the sound to the redstone, though. Not that Redstone is any sort of rare commodity, of course, but it might be something deserving as an option to disable...

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
First, let me get the obligatory "idea/suggestion" out of the way: any plans on adding sounds dependent on the player's speed? Not only is it a bit weird that your footsteps make sounds like sprint flying in creative is silent as a whisper, adding a "speed sound" would also kick in naturally while falling.

In general, this is a great mod - I think it's really one of these "little" things that make the world feel a lot more alive without changing gameplay at all, very neat.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
The change to gameplay exists, it's just emergent rather than direct.

The swamps can get a bit annoying with all the buzzing, but the frogs sound awesome at night, and then there's crickets elsewhere.

I would never live in the Savannah... XD Frickin' Elephant Bellows!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As a suggestion, whatever bear or moose call that occasionally happens? I'd really prefer if something sounds like it's going to eat me, that it's actually a mob about to eat me, not just a phantom noise.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know, I was outside today and I heard the call of crying crows and ravens... And I thought in certain environments it might be nice to have them go off at dawn and dusk.