Mod Feedback [1.12][1.11.2][1.10.2][1.8.9][1.7.10] Dynamic Surroundings Info/Support

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Try this: Taper the external sound when the player is on the edge of the Inside biome.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Maybe. I am reworking sound transitions between biomes and this has the potential of falling into this category.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Weather 2? Yes, but if you want the Dynamic Surroundings rain textures, sounds, and auroras you need to set Weather 2's advanced setting Particle_RainSnow to false.

crunkazcanbe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anyway you could add special support like when theres a tornado you hear trees cracking high wind and such ?

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I think that would be something that would be added into the Weather 2 mod. Would be interesting, however.

TheReaper

Jul 29, 2019
Give me a way to disable the different modules of the mod? pretty sky lights, annoying biome sounds, and annoying misc sounds? I am grumpy that this became a required mod in 1.8.9 unstable. I am in the camp is that atmos like mods should be optional as they are quite grating to some people. Also kinda grating is digging in the config files to turn off every sound.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Give me a way to disable the different modules of the mod? pretty sky lights, annoying biome sounds, and annoying misc sounds? I am grumpy that this became a required mod in 1.8.9 unstable. I am in the camp is that atmos like mods should be optional as they are quite grating to some people. Also kinda grating is digging in the config files to turn off every sound.

Sound like you should disable the mod if you find it that annoying. Not sure there are any features you would find desirable. But, if you want the mod loaded there are variety of different options to disable various aspects in the mod in the config file. At some point I plan on adding some config options via the in-game dialogs, but until then you have to resort to a text editor and edit the dsurround.cfg file directly.

TheReaper

Jul 29, 2019
Sound like you should disable the mod if you find it that annoying. Not sure there are any features you would find desirable. But, if you want the mod loaded there are variety of different options to disable various aspects in the mod in the config file. At some point I plan on adding some config options via the in-game dialogs, but until then you have to resort to a text editor and edit the dsurround.cfg file directly.

Removing the mod prevents me from joining my current server, I did say required mod? I repeat it was very grating tracking down all those different sound options and then being unable to locate the mosquito and dragon fly sounds in the cfg file.

though I have not yet seen the lights I may be less inclined to delete the mod and sanitize my recycle bin if I saw them (and the sound cfg was simpler) but yet they have eluded me.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Removing the mod prevents me from joining my current server, I did say required mod? I repeat it was very grating tracking down all those different sound options and then being unable to locate the mosquito and dragon fly sounds in the cfg file.
Reaper? Why do you hate puppies? I don't understand why you hate puppies. ;)

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Reaper? Why do you hate puppies? I don't understand why you hate puppies. ;)

I think there is more than a dislike of puppies involved.

And, I repeat, it sounds like you want to turn off everything in the mod, not individual sounds and effects. There are general options that you can set to do just that. For example, setting "Enable Biome Sounds" to false will disable all biome sounds. You don't want to hear the footsteps? Set "Footsteps" to false. You could also disable all sounds generated Dynamic Surroundings by setting "Master Sound Scale Factor" to 0 and setting "Footstep Sound Factor" to 0.

Oh, another way to block all sounds from Dynamic Surroundings is by creating an entry in "Blocked Sounds" that will block all sounds from dynamic surroundings. That entry would look like dsurround:.*

TheReaper

Jul 29, 2019
I think there is more than a dislike of puppies involved.

And, I repeat, it sounds like you want to turn off everything in the mod, not individual sounds and effects. There are general options that you can set to do just that. For example, setting "Enable Biome Sounds" to false will disable all biome sounds. You don't want to hear the footsteps? Set "Footsteps" to false. You could also disable all sounds generated Dynamic Surroundings by setting "Master Sound Scale Factor" to 0 and setting "Footstep Sound Factor" to 0.

Oh, another way to block all sounds from Dynamic Surroundings is by creating an entry in "Blocked Sounds" that will block all sounds from dynamic surroundings. That entry would look like dsurround:.*

oh perfect now i can let the puppies out of the corner.
OreCruncher thanks I will try that.
LunariusH thank you you made my day.

Reactions: LunariusH

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
oh perfect now i can let the puppies out of the corner.
OreCruncher thanks I will try that.
LunariusH thank you you made my day.

I know some people have different tolerances for different things. So I had to give you a helpful ration. :D

TheReaper

Jul 29, 2019
S:"Blocked Sounds" <dsurround:*
>
so does
S:"Blocked Sounds" <dsurround:.*
>
errors and regens cfg file.

but that is what unstable is for.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
S:"Blocked Sounds" <dsurround:*
>
so does
S:"Blocked Sounds" <dsurround:.*
>
errors and regens cfg file.

but that is what unstable is for.

It has to look like this:

S:"Blocked Sounds" <
dsurround:.*
>

Notice that the string is on a separate line. (This is how Forge/FML handles string lists in config files.)

EDIT: I am working on exposing the config settings using the Mod configuration system. It should help reduce these types of issues that could occur when editing a file directly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Can you tie the footsteps to the Person sound bar? Having to completely exit out of MC to make my footsteps not cause deafness is a problem. Or, if you prefer, the Blocks bar, or maybe the friendly mobs bar... just SOMETHING that can be done from the options menu, please.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
The Footsteps are currently tied to the "master" sound control. I can certainly change it to another channel. Other thing you can do is adjust the "Footsteps Sound Factor" to a smaller value (by default it is 0.3). (The reason it is tied to "master" is because the original Presence Footsteps had it tied to master.)

(The next BETA I push out will have options under the Mod/Configure framework of Forge. You can adjust most of the config values from those dialogs, but will have to restart the client in order to affect changes.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The Footsteps are currently tied to the "master" sound control. I can certainly change it to another channel. Other thing you can do is adjust the "Footsteps Sound Factor" to a smaller value (by default it is 0.3). (The reason it is tied to "master" is because the original Presence Footsteps had it tied to master.)

(The next BETA I push out will have options under the Mod/Configure framework of Forge. You can adjust most of the config values from those dialogs, but will have to restart the client in order to affect changes.)
Changing the footsteps sound factor down to 0.1 did not materially effect the volume at which it played.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Changing the footsteps sound factor down to 0.1 did not materially effect the volume at which it played.

Stupid question, but the client was restarted after making that change? If so, try a smaller number than 0.1. Don't let relatively low value throw you.

Last edited: