[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

C

Closet Gamer

I think setting up automation of circuits and some molecular assemblers and crafting CPUs has got to be your first few steps. You can keep adding more recipes and automation as you go on, but automating the basic components is an essential. I know @Closet Gamer came up against some issues with automating using calculator circuits, and I believe he solved them in efficient and novel ways - he'd have some good advice on that I think!
Cheers dude! @WuffleFluffy, I struggled with these, pain in the neck springs to mind. I cover the forestry circuit automation a little in this video:

And then the automation if the AE2 circuits in this video:

I also do a quick update with buffer chests but I can't remember if I covered it properly on cam... Perhaps @gamerwithnoname knows when and where xD

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Mythos123

Jul 29, 2019
Well, after a bit of dithering around I've finally got AE2 up and running! :)

CrA5NVl.png

Had to craft a bunch of other machines, including some from TechReborn and NeoTech, luckily I've now got a few stacks of End Diamonds, those NeoTech machines are EXPENSIVE.

Was a bit stumped by the Carbon Plates for Tech Reborn, but the charcoal from the old Coke Oven did the trick on that one.

Automating circuits could be ... interesting given how dependent they are upon the Calculator mod, luckily for me I've got 4096 of each type of circuit, which should be more than
enough to see me through.

My first order of business will be to fully automate all of the AE2 bits and pieces I can automate, I've got several stacks of Pure Certus Quartz slowly grinding away in the empowerer, i'll
let that run over the next 24 or 48 hours.

How do you guys approach the early phase of AE2?

I must admit I was quite disappointed when I found out I could not replicate the circuits with UU Matter :(

Quick question... I have my AE2 crafting terminal set up, i' made a pile of EnderIO ME conduits and I've run a line down to my Storage Scanner, I am aware that this only has 8 channels, but I was wanting to access the inventory of my Storage Scanner via the AE2 Terminal, but so far am having little luck.

Figured it out, need to apply the Storage bus interface directly to the modular storage and the Drawer Storage Controller. Nice and simple, that uses up a few channels on the ME conduit, but all it needed to do was give my AE2 building access to the stuff from my original basement :)

-= Wuffle =- !

I wouldn`t recomend using EnderIO ME Conduits, i used them a while and had to break and replace them sometimes because thex "lost" the connection, seems to be a bug. Normal AE cables are more Stable for that.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Cheers dude! @WuffleFluffy, I struggled with these, pain in the neck springs to mind. I cover the forestry circuit automation a little in this video:

And then the automation if the AE2 circuits in this video:

I also do a quick update with buffer chests but I can't remember if I covered it properly on cam... Perhaps @gamerwithnoname knows when and where xD

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Thankyou so much for posting these, will defiantly watch these! :)

@Mythos123

I concur with the EnderIO 'bug' involving conduits, I had an unfortunate run that caused problems with my base shutting down... I'd log in and find my base capacitors and cloches drained of power, which shut down my generators., yet when I looked at my power setup, the Fuel plant and the Fermenter had full power, but the squeezer was completely drained of power....

I had to break and reconnect the EnderIO power conduit to the Squeezer and everything was fine again, problem hasn't resurfaced. I had similar problems turning up elsewhere, eventually figured out it was cross junctions, where conduits from four directions merged.. I made it so I only have 'T' junctions and everything is fine, no breakages now for a couple of weeks.

This conduit line is only to connect the main 'big basement' to the tower holding the single ME controller I've built for inventory management, i'll be using proper ME cables to build up channel capacity soon.

I hope I can remember how I got sub-netting going from my 1.7 days, I am going to build a big ME 'Data Centre' for storage and then an 'ME Manufactorum' for making things.

-= Wuffle =- !

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

Thankyou so much for posting these, will defiantly watch these! :)

-= Wuffle =- !
No worries man, I think 4096 of each sounds ok, although you use them up pretty quick when each annihilation/formation core takes one set, not to mention the storage cells needed for singularities and an absolute ton of ME interfaces. I would leave the circuit production system running indefinitely ;) The good thing is that AE2 makes storing them easier. I setup some filters to void a lot of the junk that comes out of the circuit analyser - keeping all of the amethyst and power cubes is a good call though but who needs 200 reinforced axes??!

------------------------

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm re-aquainting myself with ME subnets... slowly.

This is me in 'cheat' mode in mining dimension, where I sometimes go to try things out before I dedicated resources to a build.

My first attempt at 'SubNetting' in a while, you can create subnetworks to effectively multiply the number of channels available.
This is what I do for storage, it also allows you to assign filters/priorities to different rows of storage drives.

At least it 'seems' to be working and online here.

In my big AE2 Base, I'll have a single ME controller set up as illustrated here, and use subnetworks to have a stupid number of
channels, if it works as I remember that is...

Here's some screenies of the basic, stumbling around i'm doing.

98gymZe.png

A single 8 channel smart cable can support up to 8 x 49 storage drawers this way, so a Single 32 channel cable should be able to 32 x 49... At least I think that's about right, resulting in
1568 storage drives being supported on a single side of an ME controller, multiply that again by 5 and you get between 7500 and 8000 storage drives for a single ME controller block?

Does this look right?

-= Wuffle =- !

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame
C

Closet Gamer

I'm re-aquainting myself with ME subnets... slowly.

This is me in 'cheat' mode in mining dimension, where I sometimes go to try things out before I dedicated resources to a build.

My first attempt at 'SubNetting' in a while, you can create subnetworks to effectively multiply the number of channels available.
This is what I do for storage, it also allows you to assign filters/priorities to different rows of storage drives.

At least it 'seems' to be working and online here.

In my big AE2 Base, I'll have a single ME controller set up as illustrated here, and use subnetworks to have a stupid number of
channels, if it works as I remember that is...

Here's some screenies of the basic, stumbling around i'm doing.

98gymZe.png

A single 8 channel smart cable can support up to 49 storage drawers this way, so a Single 32 channel cable should be able to 49 x 4, assuming
I don't subnet the 32 channel cable into 32 separate channels etc.

Does this look right?

-= Wuffle =- !
I didn't know you could nest P2P channels that way, most importantly does it work? ;)

------------------------

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know you could nest P2P channels that way, most importantly does it work? ;)

------------------------

Yes, tested and operational, it's what I did in my old base a year or two ago :)
Clarification, these are not P2P channels, they are Storage Interfaces, connected directly
to each other.

What I liked about it is that you can assign filters onto the storage bus interfaces and priorities, you can sort of tailor what items you want to go into
certain areas.. ie, bulk items you have a lot of can go into the drives with 64k or higher storage drives (Wide and Deep), whilst things you had lots of different
types of, but not many of each type (wide but shallow) storage would go to the 1k or 4k storage drives.

As if I remember correctly, all ME storage modules can storage 63 different types of things, and only differ in total storage capacity, this enabled me to
be more efficient with storage as higher 64k or (if they are in the pack) 256k storage modules were expensive.

From what I remember, there's also a way to connect another block to the storage drives, so you can remotely populate them with storage modules.

I can't find the youtube video on this setup, but I got the idea from these video's I was watching... Soaryn or something?

-= Wuffle =-

Reactions: Closet Gamer

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a devil of a mess trying to figure out how to get AE2 to see items in storage drawers and basic bins.

I was hoping that I could set up an ME Interface and look at drawers and basic bins, but to no avail...

I'll re-watch the video's and see if i'm doing it wrong.

When I connect up the ME Interface to a storage drawer or basic bin from mechanism, the interface is online, but my ME terminal
can't see the contents. Yet if I do the same for a module storage block, it works.

Are there only a few storage items that work with AE2.

Also, is there a way to get a ME chest or storage card to only accept certain items? I was thinking that if this is possible I could import the circuits from calculator into AE2 storage but only onto preconfigured storage cells or chests for those items (to avoid flooding AE2 with the torrent of items my automated calculator machines are pouring out).

-= Wuffle =- !

C

Closet Gamer

I've got a devil of a mess trying to figure out how to get AE2 to see items in storage drawers and basic bins.

I was hoping that I could set up an ME Interface and look at drawers and basic bins, but to no avail...

I'll re-watch the video's and see if i'm doing it wrong.

When I connect up the ME Interface to a storage drawer or basic bin from mechanism, the interface is online, but my ME terminal
can't see the contents. Yet if I do the same for a module storage block, it works.

Are there only a few storage items that work with AE2.

Also, is there a way to get a ME chest or storage card to only accept certain items? I was thinking that if this is possible I could import the circuits from calculator into AE2 storage but only onto preconfigured storage cells or chests for those items (to avoid flooding AE2 with the torrent of items my automated calculator machines are pouring out).

-= Wuffle =- !
Are you using g a storage drawer controller? You can connect an ME storage interface to that and it'll see all adjacent drawers up to 16 blocks away

------------------------

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I was a bit daft... it's the Storage Interface as you stated... I remembered after a while lol.

Well, here goes....My first AE2 build in ages.. focused solely on auto crafting ME components (Circuits and so forth).

I can now completely automate most of the parts for AE2, at least the circuits and cables.

Messy, and in need of a major tidy up, but it's working :)

7b3zwZ9.png

HtV0vbt.png

-= Wuffle =- !

Reactions: Ieldra

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks, I was a bit daft... it's the Storage Interface as you stated... I remembered after a while lol.
My problem with storage buses is that they don't recognize void upgrades. If a drawer is full but has a void upgrade, AE2 still won't attempt to push the item into the drawer, leaving the item to clog up your main network storage.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
My problem with storage buses is that they don't recognize void upgrades. If a drawer is full but has a void upgrade, AE2 still won't attempt to push the item into the drawer, leaving the item to clog up your main network storage.

It's possible to get around that (somewhat) by having any automated resources pumped directly into the drawer controller itself, rather than through the ae system. Might not always be the best solution of course.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It's possible to get around that (somewhat) by having any automated resources pumped directly into the drawer controller itself, rather than through the ae system. Might not always be the best solution of course.
Yes, that's a solution for farming and mining input - I've sent my input to ender chests, from there things were pulled into crates and from there into the drawer controller by conduit - with the crate being my overflow crate for drawers I hadn't upgraded with a void upgrade yet. It becomes a problem, however, if you take items out temporarily through the ME network manually, and then put it back, while in the meantime, the drawer has been filled by the autofarming or automing system. In the past, I've used an overflow voiding system consisting of a storage bus pointing at a trashcan, filtered for all items whose containers could be overflowing and set to a priority lower than the external storage, but higher than the main network. It works very well, but it can have....adverse effects if you fiddle with the storage bus and by accident, end up with an unfiltered voiding system.

Reactions: SolManX

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019

Hi Ieldra!

I've not seen this problem in previous runs with AE2, are you interacting with the drawer controller or with a storage drawer directly? I googled around and there was a bug in 2015 that was reported as fixed.

I am looking to build my AE2 Powered Base soon, what machines do you recommend I use for bulk processing? Those NeoTech machines look incredible!

-= Wuffle =-

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hi Ieldra!
I've not seen this problem in previous runs with AE2, are you interacting with the drawer controller or with a storage drawer directly? I googled around and there was a bug in 2015 that was reported as fixed.
I'm interacting with the drawer controller, and I've had this problem both in my DW20 1.10 world as well as in AoE. I haven't seen it earlier because back then I didn't use storage drawers.

I am looking to build my AE2 Powered Base soon, what machines do you recommend I use for bulk processing? Those NeoTech machines look incredible!
Fully upgraded Neotech machines are the fastest and the most easily automatable machines in the pack. The problem is that there are many ores and dusts they can't process. That's why I had the IE crusher combined with the EnderIO SAG mill and Alloy smelter for quite some time after Neotech became availble. They were much slowere, but could process almost everything.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that's a solution for farming and mining input - I've sent my input to ender chests, from there things were pulled into crates and from there into the drawer controller by conduit - with the crate being my overflow crate for drawers I hadn't upgraded with a void upgrade yet. It becomes a problem, however, if you take items out temporarily through the ME network manually, and then put it back, while in the meantime, the drawer has been filled by the autofarming or automing system.

Yeah, not a perfect solution. I think I've had the same thing happen but didn't realise what was causing it - at least I know why now.

Anyway, I suppose a 'finite' problem's still not as bad as an infinite one though :)

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks,

Now I've mass produced lots of the 'basic bits' for AE2, i'm now able to tear down and rebuild this part of the base.

I'm going to start Extreme Reactor build tonight, I 'might' install a computers mod into the pack to control the reactor, it simply makes for incredibly efficiency with fuel consumption. Now I've integrated AE2 with my existing storage system and plumped in all fluids i'm going to start on my AE2 tower, essentially a skyscraper, just planning out the network now.

I'm hoping I can put an AE2 Controller on each floor for sub-netting purposes and nest storage interfaces for a floor dedicated to storage.

@Ieldra, that's a real shame about the Neo Tech machines. I decommissioned my IE crusher primarily because even at my simple tech level, it simply could not keep up with mining output.

-= Wuffle =- !

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Ieldra, that's a real shame about the Neo Tech machines. I decommissioned my IE crusher primarily because even at my simple tech level, it simply could not keep up with mining output.
I didn't process my ores on input. I stored them and processed them when necessary. In some cases, even on demand with an AE2 processing pattern on the processing machine. If the ore can be processed by Neotech, that's very feasible. In other cases, I threw a few stacks of ore into my Enrichment chambers now and then.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting idea :)

I've done a tidy up of my initial AE2 facility in what i'm calling my 'tech tower'. This initial facility will relate to primarily to complete autocrafting of all of the components of AE2, my 'main' AE2' network will be elsewhere, likely on additional floors.

8UbIV5c.png

656zdKa.png

Decorative blocks is a Futura block, which I used for painting EnderIO conduits.

The room is cabled with a mix of EnderIO Dense ME conduits and AE2 cables, as well as EnderIO for power/water.

Where I found an intersection of AE2 and EnderIO, I just plopped in a single block of the EnderIO Dense ME conduit, which works nicely, it allows
me to avoid those awkward 'over and under' problems when two different sets of cables/conduits meet. There's a couple of cables poking out near the ME controller that I'm not entirely happy with, will see if I rejig it all a bit. The colour limitations of EnderIO ME Conduit don't really matter in this case, but care should be taken as ME conduit will join to AE2 conduit of ANY colour, potentially messing up a network if care is not taken.

The other visible cables sort of make sense, by stacking vertically I used the space in this room more efficiently.

View from outside.. I like all the glowy bits of AE2, strange alien technology....

59fbvDV.png

I Have almost everything related to AE2 part fabrication.

Now, in my original basement, I've run a line of Dense ME Conduit from my AE2 floor, giving me 32 channel for use in there, I'm now going to automate machines in there, going to see if I can do this without tearing the place down, will see if the 'phantom faces' from Actually Additions can allow me to keep machines in place and automate things that way, as all my machines are presently importing into my EnderIO 'Black' item conduit channel, which is inventory, which my AE2 network has full access to, this will avoid the need for using Import bus items, and save a lot of channels.

My first targets will be crystal production, I suspect I can use an ME Interface, connected to a dropper and an item vacuum block underneath the water filtering on the final product. A Charger will handle charged Certes Quartz.

Empowering will be done the same way, as I have a chest with everything being filtered into the empowering facility, an ME Interface will drop the requisite items into that chest and this should work just fine.

Then I'll automate in-place the EnderIO and IC2 fabrication.

Will take the next day or so but I hope this will be worth while, I've become attached to my big basement. :)

-=Wuffle=-

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

Interesting idea :)

I've done a tidy up of my initial AE2 facility in what i'm calling my 'tech tower'. This initial facility will relate to primarily to complete autocrafting of all of the components of AE2, my 'main' AE2' network will be elsewhere, likely on additional floors.

8UbIV5c.png

656zdKa.png

Decorative blocks is a Futura block, which I used for painting EnderIO conduits.

The room is cabled with a mix of EnderIO Dense ME conduits and AE2 cables, as well as EnderIO for power/water.

Where I found an intersection of AE2 and EnderIO, I just plopped in a single block of the EnderIO Dense ME conduit, which works nicely, it allows
me to avoid those awkward 'over and under' problems when two different sets of cables/conduits meet. There's a couple of cables poking out near the ME controller that I'm not entirely happy with, will see if I rejig it all a bit. The colour limitations of EnderIO ME Conduit don't really matter in this case, but care should be taken as ME conduit will join to AE2 conduit of ANY colour, potentially messing up a network if care is not taken.

The other visible cables sort of make sense, by stacking vertically I used the space in this room more efficiently.

View from outside.. I like all the glowy bits of AE2, strange alien technology....

59fbvDV.png

I Have almost everything related to AE2 part fabrication.

Now, in my original basement, I've run a line of Dense ME Conduit from my AE2 floor, giving me 32 channel for use in there, I'm now going to automate machines in there, going to see if I can do this without tearing the place down, will see if the 'phantom faces' from Actually Additions can allow me to keep machines in place and automate things that way, as all my machines are presently importing into my EnderIO 'Black' item conduit channel, which is inventory, which my AE2 network has full access to, this will avoid the need for using Import bus items, and save a lot of channels.

My first targets will be crystal production, I suspect I can use an ME Interface, connected to a dropper and an item vacuum block underneath the water filtering on the final product. A Charger will handle charged Certes Quartz.

Empowering will be done the same way, as I have a chest with everything being filtered into the empowering facility, an ME Interface will drop the requisite items into that chest and this should work just fine.

Then I'll automate in-place the EnderIO and IC2 fabrication.

Will take the next day or so but I hope this will be worth while, I've become attached to my big basement. :)

-=Wuffle=-
For crystal automation I used intergrated dynamics along with some droppers/collectors - it works beautifully. I describe it to the best of my limited ability here:

------------------------